• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's Year in Disappointment 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

I generally like Pitchfork but this article is TRASH.

Did some intern put it together in 20 minutes? Like wtf...

Joyce Manor was NOT a disappointment and while I don't listen to Kanye West I think "Life of Pablo" is a cool album name.

I generally like Pitchfork but this article is TRASH.

Did some intern put it together in 20 minutes? Like wtf...

Joyce Manor was NOT a disappointment and while I don't listen to Kanye West I think "Life of Pablo" is a cool album name.
It's not an article. It's meant to be humorous. Like jokes.

PillarEN

biggest disappointment was no new Kreayshawn EP after she teased it.

I... figured she just disappeared into some tattoo parlor and called it quits. Will listen as I love the stupid songs that came out like 4 years ago. Blasting all those basic bitches was really fun for a while.

Gucci Gucci Louis Louis Fendi Fendi Prada...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I know... and I'm fine with the concept just really lazy IMO. Feels like something the Verge would do (2016 Tech disappointments... just a short list with no real thought or explanation).

this isn't the paris review or the new yorker. they're not going to turn a one line joke into a two paragraph barrage of meaningless ephemera.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Are me and torre the only people that don't go "Who????" when in music threads?

The curse of having refined taste, I suppose.

I thought it was funny btw.

there's barely any gossip on there and not much 'news' per se.
These are all news related.

Watching DJ Khaled get massages no longer fun

Beyoncé still married to Jay Z

Guess none of Drake’s friends comfortable telling him patois is not a thing you can just do

Ever having had to read the phrase “Yacht sex tape”

Bon Iver’s apparent influences for new album were Dan Brown and a graphing calculator

Taylor Swift apparently had better things to do than endorse Hillary

Le Tigre reuniting for Hillary couldn’t quite push her over the edge

Grateful Dead toured—again—with John Mayer

Rostam and Ezra broke up

This is the one I got "Possible everyone good now dead" because they have a graphic of David Bowie at the end of the article.

That Rihanna cover is uninspiring shit. She just sings over it without adding anything into it.

Usally we people do half decent music covers they add something to it and not just think their voice alone is good enough. Just heard about it now and wow that is a disappointing part of 2016 by making a great song into a boring, void of any emotion song.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I don't know who most of those people are.

If you don't follow music enough to know who these artists are, I'm not quite sure why you thought that you would get too much out of Pitchfork's list. Unless you didn't know that Pitchfork was a music site, in which case I guess it's understandable that you just thought this was a list about how awful 2016 was overall.

Bronx-Man

Banned
If we wanna talk about disappointing, let's talk about Coloring Book getting a 9.1 when no one was bumping that shit 3 days later.

ByZsUc_CEAE3tDZ.jpg

Fularu

Banned
Are me and torre the only people that don't go "Who????" when in music threads?

The curse of having refined taste, I suppose.

I thought it was funny btw.
Plz Bronx

Calling Beyonce, Rihanna, JayZ, Radiohead, DJ Khaled or Maroon 5 "refined taste" is pushing it :p

It's as mainstream as it gets!

lord

he used to make good music.
yeah, some of his songs sound like Iron & Wine combined with Explosions in the Sky (that's good to me), but this tracklist:

01 22 (OVER S∞∞N)
02 10 d E A T h b R E a s T ⊠ ⊠
03 715 - CRΣΣKS
04 33 “GOD”
05 29 #Strafford APTS
06 666 ʇ
07 21 M♢♢N WATER
08 8 (circle)
09 ____45_____
10 00000 Million

Screams creatively bankrupt to me. Maybe that's superficial i don't know.

Aurongel

22, A Million is so pretentious I heard it get booed at a local pub in downtown Austin last month. If those hipsters ain't into it then no one is.

see5harp

The track titles scream Peter Gabriel to me but honestly that has nothing to do with whether the album is good (I still think it's good, but is definitely his worst).

yeah, some of his songs sound like Iron & Wine combined with Explosions in the Sky (that's good to me), but this tracklist:

01 22 (OVER S∞∞N)
02 10 d E A T h b R E a s T ⊠ ⊠
03 715 - CRΣΣKS
04 33 “GOD”
05 29 #Strafford APTS
06 666 ʇ
07 21 M♢♢N WATER
08 8 (circle)
09 ____45_____
10 00000 Million

Screams creatively bankrupt to me. Maybe that's superficial i don't know.

The names are trying too hard but the songs are great for the most part.

Just listen to 8 Circle and tell me otherwise (Unless you hate Bon Iver anyways)

see5harp

29 #Strafford APTS the GOAT

Agreed. I personally don't trust anyone who doesn't love those first two albums. I just don't need you in my life if you don't consider those albums to be classic. There are a few times he gets to that place and Stafford APTS is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom