• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitchfork's Year in Disappointment 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pitchfork continues the buildup to its Best of 2016 list with this fun list of disappointing things that happened in 2016.

Watching DJ Khaled get massages no longer fun

Beyoncé still married to Jay Z

Guess none of Drake’s friends comfortable telling him patois is not a thing you can just do

Ever having had to read the phrase “Yacht sex tape”

Swish really was the perfect album title

Feel like Desiigner may be in over his head

New Joyce Manor sounds like Everclear

Not sure what’s worse: Kendrick Lamar needs money so bad he did a Maroon 5 verse or he doesn’t need the money and did it anyway

Bon Iver’s apparent influences for new album were Dan Brown and a graphing calculator

Brian Eno’s Velvet Underground cover

The Chainsmokers

Taylor Swift apparently had better things to do than endorse Hillary

Le Tigre reuniting for Hillary couldn’t quite push her over the edge

Turns out Solange didn’t actually say, “I sext it away, I Reddit away”

Was hoping Chance more a Reese’s guy

Always wanna read it A Moon Shaped Poop

Rihanna’s Tame Impala cover

Frank Ocean only released two albums

Only thing better about Preoccupations as a band name than Viet Cong is that it’s not racist

Grateful Dead toured—again—with John Mayer

Rostam and Ezra broke up

Possible everyone good now dead

Umm they won't give an explanation for any of these things? I don't follow music news, so I don't share any of these disappointments. I think I understand the Moon Shaped Poop one, only because GAF had that for the subtitle of the Radiohead album thread.

robotrock

Banned
Umm they won't give an explanation for any of these things? I don't follow music news, so I don't share any of these disappointments. I think I understand the Moon Shaped Poop one, only because GAF had that for the subtitle of the Radiohead album thread.

It's like that Eminem - The Show review

This is Pitchfork. If you need explanations, you are not cool enough to read it.

see5harp

Solid list but I actually thought the Rihanna cover was tastefully done. I did find it weird that she covered something so quickly after the Tame Impala album came out.

corn_fest

Starting to feel like the longstanding GAF tradition of filling every end-of-year music list thread with pages upon pages of "who?? im so out of touch" is getting a little long in the tooth. Not directed at anyone in this thread specifically, just been seeing it a lot.

Also LOL @ The Chainsmokers

I guess I'm not enough of a Pitchfork nerd. I do check their reviews from time to time but don't follow their news stuff at all.
I can link you to all the news bits mentioned, but it's not going to suddenly make this thing a masterpiece in comedy. It's just meant to be a bunch of in-jokes that people who really follow music i.e. me will get.

I guess I'm not enough of a Pitchfork nerd. I do check their reviews from time to time but don't follow their news stuff at all.

these are not even about obscure artists. 80% are huge stars like drake, dj khaled, chainsmokers, rihanna, beyonce, taylor swift, radiohead. kanye west..

jstripes

Banned
Starting to feel like the longstanding GAF tradition of filling every end-of-year music list thread with pages upon pages of "who?? im so out of touch" is getting a little long in the tooth. Not directed at anyone in this thread specifically, just been seeing it a lot.

I don't know what's worse. That, or "Music hasn't been good since the {decade I was in high school}."

these are not even about obscure artists. 80% are huge stars like drake, dj khaled, chainsmokers, rihanna, beyonce, taylor swift, radiohead. kanye west..
I'm familiar with those artists, but I don't follow gossip or news about them. I just listen to their music.

see5harp

That Preoccupations album is actually one my favorite albums of the year. I did find it oddly strange that they went from the super striking Viet Cong to that. You might as well pick a short word and then spell is with an extra letter like every other band.

see5harp

Not gossip but to get most of these jokes you'd really have to pay attention to news, songs, and albums across a wide variety of genres. You'd need to know have seen the Khaled social media videos, know that Kanye's first title was Swish, need to have seen the ridiculously titled Bon Iver songs, and knew that Le Tigre reunited to sing some song for crooked Hilary.

Mayer with the Dead sounded way better than it had any right to though. They must have just given him enough LSD to turn him cool.

Not gossip but to get most of these jokes you'd really have to pay attention to news, songs, and albums across a wide variety of genres. You'd need to know have seen the Khaled social media videos, know that Kanye's first title was Swish, need to have seen the ridiculously titled Bon Iver songs, and knew that Le Tigre reunited to sing some song for crooked Hilary.
🤔🤔🤔

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
One more: Pitchfork decided its news should be dominated by reporting what Artist A said about Artist B. Beefs and bullshit irrelevant to actual music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom