• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All new Lupin III animated TV series coming in 2015, to air in Italy first!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenzxy

I'm always confused with wtf is Lupin's hair. Like is he suppose to be sporting an Afro, or it is it just stylized Asian hair?

Greenzxy

Nice.

At least something good came out of the horrid Fujiko Mine business.

Speaking of which, has it been confirmed which time the new series takes place? I'm thinking after the Fujiko thing, based on the style, but Idk.

I always thought that they are like when you shave them and let them grow evenly for a couple of months.
Yea, that's probably the most logical. But The Afro imagery is already set in my mind.

Eh. RTI (alias Mediaset) means that this will be broadcasted at 23:45 on Italia 2, with just one and half weeks of warnings. And then they'll put the last three episodes together, because they need the slot-time for the warm-up of motorbike races.

Just like the Fujiko show.

fJXYu19.gif

It looks like there might not be a TV special this year. Typically, one would have been announced by this point. TMS are currently pushing the home video release of Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone and Yuji Ohno, who usually scores the specials, has announced a new compilation album which features no new Lupin tracks.

Hopefully we should see a teaser for the new series come the new year!

So hyped for this, and there's a new Lupin Has Three Jackets podcast about this whole deal.
sixdollarcookie.podbean.com/

Thanks for posting. That's me on there joining Ryan and Mike. :)

I'm always confused with wtf is Lupin's hair. Like is he suppose to be sporting an Afro, or it is it just stylized Asian hair?

zZ8kiOt.png

New images! A short clip of the show in motion! Much joy!

--- Video clip. ---

During the most recent episode of NHK Gendai, the staff behind the new TV series revealed that Lupin dons a blue suit jacket as a tribute to Italian fans. The traditional Italian football kit consists of a blue jersey - hence the new jacket colour! It’s a cute little detail, especially since the new show is set in Italy too!

The new character art has an interesting mix of styles. It looks a little like Mystery of Mamo, The Castle of Cagliostro and Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone all combined into one. The fluidity of the animation also reminds us a little of the 1980's pink jacket series, which certainly isn't a bad thing!

He actually wears the blue jacket in Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone too.

Yep! He also had a blue tinted jacket on the concept art from Fujiko Mine.

TKALN.jpg

I think the football jersey is probably unrelated, mostly. Maybe they planned to draw him in the green or red jacket for this show originally, but altered it after thinking up the tribute thing (and also because of the recent Jigen film.)

Before there was Spike, there was Lupin... Great news man

Quick question: is it impossible to get the old series(77' - 80') on a DVD set? I tried looking for it and still no dice.

Before there was Spike, there was Lupin... Great news man

Quick question: is it impossible to get the old series(77' - 80') on a DVD set? I tried looking for it and still no dice.

Pioneer / Geneon dubbed and released 79 episodes on DVD back in 2003 / 2004ish. They stopped production so are becoming quite rare now.

I'm hoping Discotek pick up all 155 episodes one day. One can hope!

Bump!

Air dates revealed! Italy in May, Japan in "Fall!"

The blue jacket series will begin airing this May in Italy, but won't broadcast in Japan until "Fall 2015."

Since TOHO are doing a theatrical run of old Lupin episodes and films in the cinema, I'd expect the Japanese release will coincide with the finale of that - so, October!

Yuji Ohno has been confirmed to be handling the series soundtrack. He has been scoring the franchise since 1977, but it has been over a year since he last worked on Lupin (his last film was 2013's Princess of the Breeze.)

http://lupinnewseason.tumblr.com/post/116914073115/2015

http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2051828/full/

eso76

How did I miss this ?
Italy loves lupin, but I would have never expected such privilege.

This is amazing, and from the artwork and that short clip it looks like this perfectly captures the hard boiled feel of the original 70's green jacket series (don't particularly like red, hated pink). The peculiar animation, which alone gave characters so much depth and made the series so unique, also seems perfectly intact here. Hype.

Shame that both lupin and jigen VA's died. They contributed greatly to the series' popularity over here*. There's still hope they at least had the VA's from castle of Cagliostro (not the same voices as the series's) do this, but eh.

Push hasn't started yet, which is strange if it really is airing next month: we haven't heard anything yet.
I'll so be watching this and report back for GAF.

Thanks eso! RTI will be broadcasting the show, so keep an eye out. They're currently showing the red jacket series in an afternoon, along with DBZ and One Piece, right?

Rydeen

Looks great! Will definitely check it out when it's available to North American viewers. Dig the art-style, nice throwback AND it's fluid! Looks like it got a bigger budget than most TV animation from Japan these days.

Delayed in both Japan and Italy now.

http://c4comic.it/2015/05/28/lupin-iii-nuovi-dettagli-per-la-serie-ambientata-in-italia/

The new TV series has been pushed back from its May 2015 air date in Italy. No new date has been given - but it is still expected to premiere in Italy before it hits NTV in Japan this fall.

TMS updated the original Japanese PV for the series on YouTube to remove the "May 2015" air date for Italy.

It's a shame, but I'm actually quite pleased that it's getting a delay. Added production time isn't a bad thing - the animation team can keep working to make the show even better.

In my personal opinion, the 2012 The Woman Called Fujiko Mine could have benefit from having some extra time in the oven. Rumour was that the animation team for that spin off series were working right up to the deadline to get things done. Thankfully, this doesn't seem to be the case with blue jacket.

Good things come to those who wait.

No way Merdaset is going to drop Moreno, it's their baby. Anyway, more Lupin is great news!

By the way, if you still haven't seen it, watch Basette (Sideburns). It's a neat short with a surprisingly competent and famous cast which perfectly captures that weirdly familiar absurdist/poliziottesco tone which made the original such a success in Italy.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thank you Italy, italians loooove classic anime, now that they have made a new Lupin possible please continue with what could be the most loved anime in Italy Hokuto no Ken, do it Italy do eeeeettttttt. We're counting on you.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, Moreno/Vanni's opening really, really, REALLY sucks. It's awful on levels I thought they weren't possible.

eso76

"...between soccer, mafia and zombies..." what the hell?

On the other side, all the Mediaset OP were trash - the only good one came from Castellina Pasi, and they were a ballroom dance orchestra.

Castellina Pasi's was great.
Liscio orchestra and lupin were a surprising good match. Very clever, and the song is so charming.

Also loved Planet O, although that was just a song someone picked that had little to do with the anime. 007 esque and catchy though.

What in the flying fuck ? The exact same song (with different lyrics) was used for the french version of Captain Tsubasa. LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9vEj5z_hD4

I started listening to your vid and was like " But ... But ... BUT THIS IS CAPTAIN TSUBASA !!!! "

I wonder who came with it first.

Most anime in romance speaking countries in Europe and South America were adapted from the Italian versions, as that was the biggest market.

Oh wow I didn't know that.

Is anime still big in Italy ?

Anime has declined everywhere, I think. But the big ones still have a following, and stuff from the 70s up to the 90s is still widely remembered.

I think that nowadays the French market could be bigger, especially if you consider manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom