• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All new Lupin III animated TV series coming in 2015, to air in Italy first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Green: This is going to be a good series.
Red: This is going to be a great series!
Pink: This is going to be an awful series.

tumblr_nja3a0I7iH1u0ti7oo1_500.png

Pharaun

I didn't like Fujiko Mine either. Everyone was so out of character. Thankfully this looks a return to form.

Nah man, that was the closest everyone was to the original manga characterization. That being said, Lupin and the gang have had decades of being given a different character interpretation that made it seem radically out of character. I'm fine with both interpretations, but I understand why a lot of people would be put off by it.

Watching it right now, started ten minutes ago and right now doesn't feel like the good old days, but it's too early to form a proper judgement...

°°ToMmY°°;176957267 said:
Watching it right now, started ten minutes ago and right now doesn't feel like the good old days, but it's too early to form a proper judgement...

Me too. It's SUPERBLY animated, but it's lacking substance right now and feels a little all over the place. Also, Rebecca is somehow already annoying me. Still early days though.

EDIT: Episode two is much better so far!

LeleSocho

Banned
Me too. It's SUPERBLY animated, but it's lacking substance right now and feels a little all over the place. Also, Rebecca is somehow already annoying me. Still early days though.

EDIT: Episode two is much better so far!

Just in case you didn't understood the football player was blind to an eye that's why he resulted positive to the anti-doping test, and the price for his work was for him to do 3 goals instead of 3mil €.

Just in case you didn't understood the football player was blind to an eye that's why he resulted positive to the anti-doping test, and the price for his work was for him to do 3 goals instead of 3mil €.

Brilliant, thanks for that! Episode two was a far better Lupin episode, hopefully it keeps up this pace. Episode one felt like a bit of a mess, despite looking absolutely gorgeous.

Ads in between the episode ugh

What's the deal with that? It didn't do it for two episodes, then suddenly... it just did with episode three!

°°ToMmY°°;176961031 said:
It's not the lupin of the goold old days, it feels too safe in its formula =

I'm still watching it though...

I do agree. It feels pretty "safe", but I think that episodes two and three have been closer to the red jacket stuff than anything else. It's not bad, but it's not as good as the old stuff.

It would be interesting to hear your favourite Lupin series / film, to get an idea of your taste actually!

LeleSocho

Banned
What's the deal with that? It didn't do it for two episodes, then suddenly... it just did with episode three!

It's probably because Italia1 treats the 4 episodes like if it was a single movie.
Still it's pretty bad though, in Italy there are never ads in the middle of the episode.

The animation is INCREDIBLE. It’s consistently good, everyone looks great and the backgrounds are so well detailed. Studio Telecom are still on top!

It's probably because Italia1 treats the 4 episodes like if it was a single movie.
Still it's pretty bad though, in Italy there are never ads in the middle of the episode.

That is a shame, but ah well. Episode three was good, too!

I've written a short review with my impressions, if anybody fancies a read. This is coming from a non-Italian speaker, so take it all with a pinch of salt if your opinions differ. I feel I know the Lupin franchise well enough to judge what I saw, though.

LeleSocho

Banned
I've written a short review with my impressions, if anybody fancies a read. This is coming from a non-Italian speaker, so take it all with a pinch of salt if your opinions differ. I feel I know the Lupin franchise well enough to judge what I saw, though.

Unlike what American companies do Italy (and the rest of Europe really) don't have this habit to change the background music or tracks of the anime unless they are the opening and/or the ending so you can safely say that what you heard there you will hear in the Japanese version.

And just to clear the third episode's plot to you, the MI6 agent's mission was to retrieve Maria Antonietta's jewel and protect the English prince with the latter having higher priority (hence what happens at the end of the episode), killing Lupin was just a consequence.

LeleSocho

Banned
If by "creative" you mean "horribly off-model and bizarre" then yes!

i liked legend of the gold of babylon tho

Those off model characters were actually wanted though and not a sign of bad animation quality, i think it's pretty obvious that from a purely technical standpoint Pink Jacket is the best of the three classic series.
Also yeah i liked Pink just as much as i liked Red and Green.

Unlike what American companies do Italy (and the rest of Europe really) don't have this habit to change the background music or tracks of the anime unless they are the opening and/or the ending so you can safely say that what you heard there you will hear in the Japanese version.

And just to clear the third episode's plot to you, the MI6 agent's mission was to retrieve Maria Antonietta's jewel and protect the English prince with the latter having higher priority (hence what happens at the end of the episode), killing Lupin was just a consequence.

Thanks for the info! I'm a big fan of the new music - it's nice to hear Yuji Ohno mix things up a bit and have such a fresh score. Was a nice mixture of stuff from Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone and the red jacket show.

Camjo-Z

Those off model characters were actually wanted though and not a sign of bad animation quality, i think it's pretty obvious that from a purely technical standpoint Pink Jacket is the best of the three classic series.
Also yeah i liked Pink just as much as i liked Red and Green.

In terms of animation quality, yes, Pink is technically superior, but they take way too many liberties with the characters. There's "wacky expressions" and then there's just turning everything into a vaguely humanoid blob all the time.

NeonZ

In terms of animation quality, yes, Pink is technically superior, but they take way too many liberties with the characters. There's "wacky expressions" and then there's just turning everything into a vaguely humanoid blob all the time.

Pink Jacket still has serious episodes with less wacky scenes and expressions though, even after they change to that later "thinner" character design style. It's just that the series seems to be prone to mood swings even more extreme from the other ones. The goofy episodes are extremely goofy but then next week you can get a really serious episode where Lupin is a supreme mastermind never phased by anything (specifically, I just watched episodes 29 and 30).

LeleSocho

Banned

I see you are no fan of the bean shaped heads :p

wow I had to double check if that was 2015 release because the animation is old school but as you go on there are some modern touches

Wish DB SUPER was like this

Episodes 5 - 8 will air this Sunday on Italy One from 23:35. If you have a TV that supports dual audio, you can switch to the Japanese dub during the show. The full Japanese voices are all there and accounted for!

Just seen the first episode of series 4 (I planned to wait for october but couldn't).

...is it just an weird impression of me or are they planning to try to synthetize the original Lupin persona and the Miyazaki interpretation with this series ?

are they planning to try to synthetize the original Lupin persona and the Miyazaki interpretation with this series ?

It isn't what they are doing for years? Anime Lupin was never ruthless like in the original manga, and the "Fujiko Miine" version was the exception of this trend.

I'm more worried that Goemon seems have two left arms here...
tumblr_lz24ylPB291rnuvmto1_1280.jpg

As we all know, Yuji Ohno is working on his own soundtrack to the blue jacket show, completely separate to the one included in the Italian broadcast.

You can hear a sneak preview of two tracks below, as they were included in a recent app update to a monster battle game in Japan. Lupin and co show up in the game as part of a special event that promotes the new show. If these tracks are anything to go by, Ohno is set to impress!

Main theme: https://youtu.be/qyNlLTLEwQs
Super hero (2015): https://youtu.be/0AGnlznZljw

As we all know, Yuji Ohno is working on his own soundtrack to the blue jacket show, completely separate to the one included in the Italian broadcast.

You can hear a sneak preview of two tracks below, as they were included in a recent app update to a monster battle game in Japan. Lupin and co show up in the game as part of a special event that promotes the new show. If these tracks are anything to go by, Ohno is set to impress!

Main theme: https://youtu.be/qyNlLTLEwQs
Super hero (2015): https://youtu.be/0AGnlznZljw

Hell yeah. Sounds great.

Lokimaru

Pink looks more Monkey Punch, Has Melon Cop ever been animated?

Grazie. When Will the next episodes air?

Sunday in Italy. I believe they will show episodes 14 - 16 then. FYI, episodes 12 and 13 were a two-parter. Personally, I'm waiting for the Japanese dub at this point.

Pink looks more Monkey Punch, Has Melon Cop ever been animated?

Not the Melon Cop you're thinking of, but there was a female character in the red jacket show called "melon cop." Zenigata has had a few old-timers as partners too, but not the flat cap wearing Melon Cop from the manga.

latest

It's beautiful. And I repeat myself, but I love the references they do to both manga/MP Lupin and Miyazaki Lupin. A synthesis between the two was long overdue.

It's so good, I want to cry.

The updated theme is fantastic. Feels new, but still manages to not deviate from the original very much. The animation has blown me away. It looks nice, the opening flows well and the colour scheme is just impeccable. It reminds me a lot of the 1978 red jacket opening, with the style of some of the more recent Takeshi Koike green and blue jacket shenanigans. Some of the scenes remind me of Miyazaki Lupin, and the character poses and designs remind me of the Monkey Punch mangas. It's perfect.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Just caught it and it was great. I wouldn't mind a more serious Lupin & zenigata but that's a minor complaint

Camjo-Z

Decided to start watching this, didn't want to do it until the Japanese eps started getting subbed because I will NOT suffer a soundtrack that doesn't feature Yuji Ohno if I don't have to.

Caught the first episode and wow, definitely the best Lupin-related thing in years. It's basically Red Jacket if they brought it into the modern era of anime. No long-winded explanations of what object they're going to steal because they have to expand a Lupin plot into an hour and a half, no super serious tone and gratuitous nudity, no dubious interpretations of the word "VS.", just wacky hijinks and thievery. Rebecca is also far less awful than I was expecting, I was sure she was going to be the typical B-girl that Lupin has to handle while doing other stuff but she actually is pretty entertaining.

Second episode was a bit weaker, but it still had some cool moments. And it's especially nice to finally see something containing Fujiko that allows her to just co-exist with the gang for a while and even bring Lupin a job without constantly being a back-stabbing double crosser. Even the first episode was a bit better about this, she didn't know Lupin was going to try to steal the crown so her rivalry with him was actually justified. Some of the other recent stuff got so ridiculous with her character that you had to wonder why Lupin even hung out with her if she was just always going to screw him over.

I'd also like to post my thoughts on episodes one and two. I've enjoyed reading everybodies feedback about the series so far, keep it coming!

Episode one:

When I first watched the Italian broadcast, I was initially quite let down by the first episode. I felt the pacing was a little off, and it seemed to be all over the place. Rebecca came off as a bit annoying, and the music didn't impress as much as I expected (I had no idea the Italian soundtrack was unique, at the time.)

I re-watched the first episode in Japanese, and upon second viewing, my tune sure changed. I enjoyed the episode a lot more - I still felt the pacing was off a fair bit, but it was still enjoyable. Ohno's music blew me away, and felt right at home alongside the blue jacket style. I notice he's remastering some red jacket tracks that he hasn't touched in years - such as Chasing the Hustler and Dangerous Temptation. It's no doubt in my mind that the animation is amazing - some of the best the series' has had in years. As Camjo-Z says, I think the episode does do a good job at introducing you to the Lupin series. Especially the red jacket stuff. It's silly and fun, but I don't think it will blow anybody away. A strong start and sets the overall tone of the new show pretty well.

---------------------

Episode two:

I enjoyed episode two far more than episode one. I think it's down to personal taste, but the second offering of blue jacket felt a lot tighter. The characters were all on point, but by the end of the episode Brozzi ended up a very likable side character. They could have gone completely the wrong way with him - an ignorant drunkard at the start, who turned out to be a honorable and likable guy. I felt the villain in this episode was great too. You had the crime lord - a comedic, classic red jacket style adversary, and Nyx - the more modern, cooler and mysterious type of Lupin villain. The contrast was very nice, and Nyx's involvement leads into episode three very well.

Episode two felt like a good mix of styles - the story of a green jacket episode with the hijinx and flair of red jacket. This worked very well, and it's certainly my personal preference. There was enough twists and turns in the storyline to make for an impressive episode, and the writing was great. I felt Jigen was especially well-written in this episode - the part where he shot out the crime lord's tires was great. He says something like "Apologies my friend. No hard feelings, but I have to take you out." Kiyoshi Kobayashi did a great job of voicing the hatted gunman all episode, but his delivery of this line felt perfect. Regardless of his age, this 82 year old is still and always will be the best fit for Jigen.

---------------------

All in all, a solid start to the new show. Nothing wow'ing, but well written and classic fun, despite some odd pacing in episode one. Really enjoying it, and having seen episodes three and four in Italian, I know we have more treats in store.

Camjo-Z

Ohno's music blew me away, and felt right at home alongside the blue jacket style. I notice he's remastering some red jacket tracks that he hasn't touched in years - such as Chasing the Hustler and Dangerous Temptation.

That Chasing the Hustler segment was one of my favorite parts, I love when they use the classic red jacket music. They even threw in some Cagliostro roof-hopping to seal the deal! I almost kind of regret having listened to the full versions of these Lupin soundtracks so many times because I always end up hearing them in the episodes and going "no, you can't cut it there! The best part was coming up!".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom