• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All new Lupin III animated TV series coming in 2015, to air in Italy first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Sorry guys. Realise my post is a bit redundant, I got used to posting updates and for some reason my sub for this thread wasn't showing up the new posts!

Here's an update on the new show!

The official Italien title for this series is now: Lupin III - L'avventura Italia

The series finally has a new air date in Italy. Episode one of a total 26 episodes will air on Italia 1 on August 29th. It will then run for 26 weeks, with a new episode every Saturday. The show is to get an Italian dub, and as part of that it also has a new theme song...

https://youtu.be/Xuc_0hKp4Xg

Yeah... The theme song has been composed by Giorgio Vanni and is performed by Moreno Donadoni. As you can hear, the song isn't very good. Not a patch on Yuji Ohno, who is still set to score the Japanese version.

In addition, Moreno Donadoni isn't the most liked man in Italy. There is a lot of hatred for him and Italian fans are up in arms about the whole thing. There is currently a petition with over 7,000 signatures demanding his removal, and there are a tonne of parody and reaction videos on YouTube taking the mickey out of him. Below is my favourite.

https://youtu.be/0v4awPcK81I

I was first introduced to Lupin via clips of that one movie where he fights an all girl gang, and for the longest time I thought Lupin was this mysoginistic series about a guy going around killing women.

As much as I'd like to give the series a fair shake, I just can't get that association out of my head.

Is the animation studio any good? I've never heard of them.

I can't say much for their current works, but Studio Telecom's episodes for the late 70's - early 80's red jacket Lupin TV series were by far the best, animation-wise. The head staff on this project are very experienced with some being involved with that era of Lupin. I'm 100% confident it's in safe hands with Studio Telecom.

I was first introduced to Lupin via clips of that one movie where he fights an all girl gang, and for the longest time I thought Lupin was this mysoginistic series about a guy going around killing women.

As much as I'd like to give the series a fair shake, I just can't get that association out of my head.

I assume you mean Angel's Tactics?

Thankfully the show is nothing like that. For the most part, it's family friendly, lighthearted and fun. The main characters are bad guys, but of the lovable kind.

The original manga however, is a bit more on the darker side. It's not to my tastes.

I assume you mean Angel's Tactics?

Thankfully the show is nothing like that. For the most part, it's family friendly, lighthearted and fun. The main characters are bad guys, but of the lovable kind.

The original manga however, is a bit more on the darker side. It's not to my tastes.

Maybe? Sorry, I don't know the name of the movie/ova/season. Its the one where the grunts were all wearing these fetishy red bodysuits.

Mdk7

Edit: Sorry guys. Realise my post is a bit redundant, I got used to posting updates and for some reason my sub for this thread wasn't showing up the new posts!

Here's an update on the new show!

The official Italien title for this series is now: Lupin III - L'avventura Italia

The series finally has a new air date in Italy. Episode one of a total 26 episodes will air on Italia 1 on August 29th. It will then run for 26 weeks, with a new episode every Saturday. The show is to get an Italian dub, and as part of that it also has a new theme song...

https://youtu.be/Xuc_0hKp4Xg

Yeah... The theme song has been composed by Giorgio Vanni and is performed by Moreno Donadoni. As you can hear, the song isn't very good. Not a patch on Yuji Ohno, who is still set to score the Japanese version.

In addition, Moreno Donadoni isn't the most liked man in Italy. There is a lot of hatred for him and Italian fans are up in arms about the whole thing. There is currently a petition with over 7,000 signatures demanding his removal, and there are a tonne of parody and reaction videos on YouTube taking the mickey out of him. Below is my favourite.

https://youtu.be/0v4awPcK81I
My god that Moreno song.
Seriously, MY GOD.

Walpurgis

Banned
I can't say much for their current works, but Studio Telecom's episodes for the late 70's - early 80's red jacket Lupin TV series were by far the best, animation-wise. The head staff on this project are very experienced with some being involved with that era of Lupin. I'm 100% confident it's in safe hands with Studio Telecom.
Sounds good. Do you think this is an okay place for a newcomer to enter the series? I was always interested in Lupin as a kid but it never aired on TV in my country.

Pharaun

Sounds good. Do you think this is an okay place for a newcomer to enter the series? I was always interested in Lupin as a kid but it never aired on TV in my country.

This should be a fine starting point. Continuity has never been a big priority for the series, so jumping in anywhere would be fine.

Looking forward to this. When I stayed up really late years ago this was the only show on around that time on Adult Swim that I liked. Probably haven't seen more than 10 or so episodes of it though.

tumblr_nscgvraiz41ra64mmo1_500.png

Show will air this October in Japan!

An air date has been confirmed in Japan - October 2015. The show's official website has been updated with some new artwork and information, too! The air date information is included on the same page, with the 10 at the top representing the air month of October. This coincides nicely with TMS' current partnership with TOHO cinemas, as they are airing select Lupin content up until October. [More info on: Lupin Central]

The Japanese press have been covering some new information today, such as this amazing new trailer (complete with classic, revamped red jacket Lupin theme from Yuji Ohno):

https://youtu.be/GpGcxpOsIBo

A release date of October 1st has also been given for the Japanese version.

It has been announced today that enka singer Sayuri Ishikawa is to provide vocal arrangement for the new ending theme to the Japanese version of the blue jacket series.

Ishikawa is a popular contestant on the annual NHK Kōhaku Uta Gassen broadcast, having appeared 36 times since 1977. Ishikawa made her name performing the classic Tsugarukaikyo-Fuyugeshiki.

In addition to Ishikawa and Ohno's involvement with the track, producer, singer (the lead of Sharam Q) and songwriter Tsunku has also provided lyrics for the track. There is a lot of talent behind this - it's sure to be good!

The full length song will release as a single on October 21st, but fans of the show can hear the TV series during the Japanese début on Nippon TV at midnight on October 1st.

Damn, that's a good trailer. The animation is really gorgeous. I might wait for the Japanese release, though, so I don't have to listen to that Italian theme.

LeleSocho

Banned
That new italian opening is such a punch in the face to fans.
They given us this huge opportunity of being the first to air and experience this new series and we respond with that crap.
We really don't deserve anything.

Crocodile

Shit this looks hype. Will there be any simulcast of the Italian broadcast with English subs or do we have to wait for the Japanese broadcast?

Lol this anime looks way better than dbs, the trailer shows so many details, looks like they have done a great job.
The opening is horrible, chi cazzo ha deciso che andava bene?jesus
The japanese opening sound cool, maybe we could use that

Bloodrage

Banned
Been trying to stay away from this thread as I'm on something of a media blackout for this but I needed to say that the art looks sooooo good.

eso76

The Japanese press have been covering some new information today, such as this amazing new trailer (complete with classic, revamped red jacket Lupin theme from Yuji Ohno):

https://youtu.be/GpGcxpOsIBo

A release date of October 1st has also been given for the Japanese version.

Wait, was that Snake / Akio Otsuka voicing Goemon ?
Would make sense since Akio's father (Goemon's voice since the 70's) passed away earlier this year iirc

Not big into anime but might give this a shot.

Do it! I'm not huge into anime either, but I became obsessed with Lupin. It's an entirely different beast, so fun and so worth it!

I guess this series will be called the "Navy Blue Jacket" series?

Hehe. Most fans have coined it Blue Jacket, though Part 4 is what TMS refer to it as the most. I prefer Blupin!

Would make sense since Akio's father (Goemon's voice since the 70's) passed away earlier this year iirc

It's Daisuke Namikawa voicing Goemon here.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Looking really good.

What Goemon's Voice Actor passed away too? Oh man, that's sad to hear, I already miss Zenigata's old Voice Actor (Gorou Naya) and now this. RIP.

Love the hand drawn style, though there's a ton of CG in there, but hopefully to its benefit.

The CGI still annoys me a bit. Lupin always had a very strong rule of having as realistically drawn vehicles as possible. Heck, some of the cars in the old show only ended up being what they were because the animators drove them. They saw those cars every day, on the way to and from work, thus it was perfect reference material. They would study car manuals, look at disected images of vehicles and really get into the nitty gritty of things.

When I see a CG car in a Lupin work, a little piece of my dies inside. It's so against the old morales of the team, the direction and the show. But, unlike the 2013 TV special "Princess of the Breeze" that had quite jarring CGI work for the car chase scene, it actually works quite well with blue jacket.

The CGI is noticeable, but it fits the style pretty well. In particular is the scene with Lupin and Rebecca swinging up onto the tower, with the 3D shot of them flying around in the air. I kinda wish they didn't use CGI at all, but what is here is acceptable IMO.

These days, we have the technology to do more complex scenes easier, cheaper and faster with CGI. It's a no brainer they make use of it. It's just not very Lupin, and not very Miyazaki either.

Can someone explain to me what the jacket colours signify?

Each TV series of Lupin gives him a different color jacket, which retroactively has been used to represent the style and tone of those series. So in later movies and OVAs, a green jacket may be used to signify that Lupin will act more like he does in the first series, and such. The use of a different jacket in this series implies that they're going for a slightly different tone than the previous ones.

Or so I understand it.

jonno394

Each TV series of Lupin gives him a different color jacket, which retroactively has been used to represent the style and tone of those series. So in later movies and OVAs, a green jacket may be used to signify that Lupin will act more like he does in the first series, and such. The use of a different jacket in this series implies that they're going for a slightly different tone than the previous ones.

Or so I understand it.

Thanks. Will have to look into what tone each colour represents then!

Thanks. Will have to look into what tone each colour represents then!

It's sort of true, but then you have stuff like the early green jacket stuff being quite dark and blunt, and the later green jacket stuff being very family friendly and lighthearted. It can still vary a lot, but for the most part the jacket colour = tone thing is correct.

Blue seems to be most like red BTW, in terms of tone. But there is a flashback scene with the green jacket shown, so who knows!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom