• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All New Skyward Sword Info from GI + Nintendo

Updated OP with info on cutscenes.

IceDoesntHelp said:
So looks like the items to upgrade your weapons and shields can be found out in the wild too, so you don't just have to kill enemies.

I don't remember anything about a yellow light. Did I miss something on that?
I think they also said that you could find special items needed for upgrades in treasure chests as well. Since there seems to be a lot of hidden treasure.

Perhaps the yellow light is for the Desert area.

Is anyone else glad that bug catching might be relevant again.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
cbMnx.png

Jaded Alyx said:
x4ovj.jpg

Spot the difference!

OMG the clouds!

RagnarokX

GCNemesis said:
I believe I have some fairly logical ideas regarding the following:
igoxSmOUh01v2.gif

If you don’t want personal speculation about the story, you can skip this post and ignore the spoilered text below:

So I was looking for metrics regarding the length of cutscenes in Zelda titles and stumbled across a cutscene from Ocarina of Time. The following cutscene, while it being something most have seen if they’ve played through the game, seems to tiptoe around the events of Skyward Sword and the above image. Now we know that Skyward Sword leads into the events of OoT as stated by Nintendo and the recently released footage identifies a Skeikah, so with that, here’s what I believe that “wheel” is.

You can watch the following OoT cutscene here (main part starts 33 seconds into it). Sheik/Zelda explains that “the resting place of the sacred triangle, the Sacred Realm, is a mirror that reflects what is in the heart…”. I believe that the “wheel” in the GIF above that is being shattered (and on the box cover art) is the entrance to the Sacred Realm. My guess what is taking place in that scene is that Ghirahim has entered the Sacred Realm and claimed a piece of the triforce and upon exit, shatters the mirror/entrance that Zelda is appearing to protect (also note, her clothes, hair ties and bracelets are different). Or perhaps he is preventing someone from entering. This alludes to the fact that the following portion of the game will require Link to gather the pieces of the mirror in order to enter the Sacred Realm. This is similar to Twilight Princess and the Mirror of Twilight.

In regards to the Sheikah picture here, it appears to be a similar if not the same location as the above GIF. Now according to the quote from OoT, if taken literally, then perhaps this is a scene of the Sheikah entering the Sacred Realm, reflecting what is in her heart (note, the golden glow behind her, alluding to the triforce?)

Again, this is personal speculation so take it as you will.
I think you're being too literal. That scene in OoT is just a reference to ALttP. The Sacred Realm itself is a mirror that reflects one's heart, hence bunny Link. It's a metaphor.

In regards to what's shattering in that gif.
That gear looks too thick to shatter like that and I highly doubt it's a mirror. I think what's actually shattering in that cutscene is the skyward sword. Link probably tried to block an attack and Ghirahim broke his sword. The next part of the game will be about reforging it into the Master Sword. That scene takes place in Skyloft. I think the Sheikah scene takes place in Hyrule, possibly near Eldin Volcano because the Sheikah founded Kakariko Village and the Shadow Temple.

mantidor

Ok I know wii games aren't exactly photogenic, but the videos and gifs aren't doing anything for me to be honest, the cellshading of WW was so, soo much better, everything in SS looks either blurry or grainy. I just hope it looks much better in person.

Kard8p3

Lord Ghirahim said:
I think I like what you did with it better. Yoink.

fake edit: Three Skyward Sword threads on the first page.

Yeah it's crazy and kind of killing discussion a bit since everyone's spreading out to multiple topics.

Kard8p3 said:
Yeah it's crazy a kind of killing discussion a bit since everyone's spreading out to multiple topics.
Well that's why I put all the info together but people keep bumping old Zelda topics instead and obviously new info keeps streaming through.

Kard8p3

I just remembered that on top of all the new stuff we've seen we still have more videos coming from Game Informer. If I remember right there should be one more video from them this week.

The Lamp

Pseudo_Sam said:
Seriously, this new footage sent me from mildly excited to fucking pumped. Don't know why I ever doubted the Zelda team.

It's not like they've been working on this game for 4-5 years or anything.

[Nintex]

It looks very pretty but I still feel those hearts and shield icons are too big. I wonder if there's a no-HUD setting for this game.

PooBone

Main thing I don't like about all the footage is the wonky ass sound effects, and the fact that the art style now seems to be just all over the place. It's like if Nintendo can imagine it, it's going in.

That said, the last few days have got me really excited for this game, moreso than ever before. Will be getting this game this holiday season. I hope it doesn't take 50+ hours to beat though, I don't have that kinda time.

Kard8p3

PooBone said:
Main thing I don't like about all the footage is the wonky ass sound effects, and the fact that the art style now seems to be just all over the place. It's like if Nintendo can imagine it, it's going in.

That said, the last few days have got me really excited for this game, moreso than ever before. Will be getting this game this holiday season. I hope it doesn't take 50+ hours to beat though, I don't have that kinda time.

I'm sure there will be people who beat it quicker than that.

Xane

PooBone said:
And this is exactly why I love it. To each his own, I guess.

PooBone

Xane said:
And this is exactly why I love it. To each his own, I guess.
I guess to me there's a lot of elements that just don't feel like Zelda. Ocarina pretty much defined the art style and there was nothing that went against the grain in my mind until Spirit Tracks.... had a hard time imagining trains in Hyrule. It just kinda looks like a mishmash of artstyles without a true identity, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

Kard8p3 said:
I'm sure there will be people who beat it quicker than that.

Yeah, and I don't plan to do everything when I run through, but if it's 50 to 100, they make it sound like 50 is about the minimum. I haven't put that much time into a game since Oblivion and my life it a lot different now than it used to be.

HYDE

Banned
IceDoesntHelp said:
I went through the trailer again (from the 3DS conference)
And noticed these two things.
zelda-1.png

So looks like the items to upgrade your weapons and shields can be found out in the wild too, so you don't just have to kill enemies.

This reminds me of the golden scarabs in Ninja Gaiden. That's a good thing. Also, it's always fun finding random collectibles all over any game's world.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
PooBone said:
Worked for Galaxy

Dennis

Banned
Gonna rock hard but damn that Dowsing ability is a poignant reminder how easy therefore without real tension the Zelda games have gotten.

Sad, really.

I would be a thousand times more excited for the timeless adventures of Link if there was some actual challenge to the gameplay.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Jaded Alyx said:
x4ovj.jpg

Spot the difference!
What trailer is this from? I'd love to have that scene without the Miyamoto box in the corner, lol.

Actually, I'm pretty out of the loop, so if someone could post links to all of the new trailers I'd really appreciate it... I've watched the history one, the upgrade system trailer, and the Miyamoto demo from the conference.

Caelus

DennisK4 said:
Gonna rock hard but damn that Dowsing ability is a poignant reminder how easy therefore without real tension the Zelda games have gotten.

Sad, really.

I would be a thousand times more excited for the timeless adventures of Link if there was some actual challenge to the gameplay.

Wait, I don't comprehend.

PooBone said:
I guess to me there's a lot of elements that just don't feel like Zelda.

I don't see anything in particular.

This thread has single handedly made me want to buy the game, and I had little interest before. Oh, and I didn't even read the spoilers.

Maybe it was the huge wall of black spoiler tags that told me this game will be feature packed?

Can't wait.

ExMachina said:
What trailer is this from? I'd love to have that scene without the Miyamoto box in the corner, lol.

Actually, I'm pretty out of the loop, so if someone could post links to all of the new trailers I'd really appreciate it... I've watched the history one, the upgrade system trailer, and the Miyamoto demo from the conference.
I have all the new trailers in the OP. Here's the old ones though:

E3 2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dYgrMz_XBI

GDC 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKUn5ESdK4s

E3 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Zm1tLH1Oks&feature=related

oatmeal

Banned
While I'm not thrilled with a lot of what they're doing with this, the new theme song from those trailers is amazing.

BY2K

Membero Americo
From the latest Game Informer article about the Master Sword:

Based on the information we received during our cover trip, signs point towards the blade making its return in Skyward Sword.

YOU DON'T SAY! It's only been features in the first artworks, trailers and is on the cover of the game AND YOUR MAGAZINE.

Let us not even mention that Aonuma himself already told us a year ago that Skyward Sword will tell the origin of the sword.

[Nintex]

BY2K said:
From the latest Game Informer article about the Master Sword:

YOU DON'T SAY! It's only been features in the first artworks, trailers and is on the cover of the game AND YOUR MAGAZINE.

Let us not even mention that Aonuma himself already told us a year ago that Skyward Sword will tell the origin of the sword.
Gameinformer: "We would like to point out and this has not yet been confirmed at this point that yes, Link's green tunic will return in this game."

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Those gifs are so fucking awesome to look at. Ghirahim's gifs, especially. I love his animations and facial expressions so much. Let those hands and expressions talk for him; it's quite fabulous.

Link's facial expressions are better too. Replaying Twilight Princess right now, and Link's facial expressions are so goofy. It's hard to look at his expressions without chuckling a little.

I highlighted the spoilers in the OP. Couldn't resist. A lot of it sounds great... and possibly like they're increasing the difficulty somewhat. Adding new things (like the upgrade system) and keeping some old things that worked out pretty well (double-clawshot) is enticing. I can't wait to play this.

Ghirahim opening his eyes wider as glass flies at him is awesomely hilarious.

Top Bottom