• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

Resogun looks mind blowing on my 4K HDR set. It isn't my cup of tea so sadly I won't be enjoying the visuals but to those lucky folks who dig twin stick shooters and have a good TV, your wish has come true.

One could make an argument that is has the best IQ of any game on the Pro. It's so clean and looks like the future.

mileS

Just to help keep expectations in check, the patch will likely just uncap the framerate, I don't expect to see 60fps very often.

and the huge point here, for most people including me. It will be unlocked framerate for lite mode. I personally just want frame pacing gone for High.

Here's to holding out for a miracle that this patch will fix framepacing for high mode as well. FFS tho we know they won't :(

I am clueless as to how Mother Russia Bleeds' resolution is figured out. Here we go, though!
Thanks for these! Looking at them versus others across the web, I believe there actually are Pro enhancements to the game. As expected they're minor, though, since the blocky pixel art style isn't very conducive to resolution changes. All the stages and characters stay at an effective 270p (i.e. each "pixel" is 4 pixels wide at 1080p and 8 pixels wide at 2160p on Pro).

But the Pro (like PC) seems to calculate some dynamic elements, such as shadows and blood splatter, at 4x the art's resolution. And on all platforms, screen effects like motion blur and drug haze are rendered at full resolution, so the Pro versions of these are sharper.

I'll add the game once I nail down what RESOGUN is doing for downsampling. GAF member pottuvoi, who is incredibly more knowledgeable than me in this area, seems to think that game is supersampling, just with a method that results in less softness than usual. I'm researching.

Thanks again for your input, DJ Lushious. If anyone else wants to tackle other games on the list, that'd be great!

BigEmil

However, on close examination I do not think the game supersamples at 1080p. Their screenshots do not show the type of AA pattern you'd expect from such a large downsample. Indeed, the AA may even be less effective than that on the standard PS4 (but this is an iffier point.) Supporting the lack of downsampling is quotes like this one, which is not unique:
That's strange Housemarque confirmed on Twitter Resogun has super sampling in Full HD

https://mobile.twitter.com/Housemarque/status/832591303519137792

Blizzje

and the huge point here, for most people including me. It will be unlocked framerate for lite mode. I personally just want frame pacing gone for High.

Here's to holding out for a miracle that this patch will fix framepacing for high mode as well. FFS tho we know they won't :(

Man, why won't they put time into this? Why does the weakest of the consoles have zero frame pacing and a console with 4.2 TF is left with godawful frame pacing? Why?

Resogun looks mind blowing on my 4K HDR set. It isn't my cup of tea so sadly I won't be enjoying the visuals but to those lucky folks who dig twin stick shooters and have a good TV, your wish has come true.

One could make an argument that is has the best IQ of any game on the Pro. It's so clean and looks like the future.

I'm jealous of your TV.

Also, I wouldn't call Resogun a twin stick shooter.

That's strange Housemarque confirmed on Twitter Resogun has super sampling in Full HD

https://mobile.twitter.com/Housemarque/status/832591303519137792
Yes, and they're so explicit about it that doubting them seems implauible. But I'm only reporting what I've seen (this is blown up 4x):

resocompareqzu8g.png

To me, the right panel doesn't look like supersampling. That said, there are two ways I could be wrong. First, these screenshots came from VG Tech, and could possibly be mislabeled; maybe Pro at 1080p is on the left, and standard on the right. That'd make them more in line with what I'd expect.

Second, there are multiple methods by which downsampling could occur. I'm not at all qualified to speak to this issue, but graphical expert pottuvoi seems to think that the Pro version might be downsampled using a particular technique that would give these results.

I'm currently trying to read up on this and see if I'm wrong. That would not be unexpected.

Syranth

Final Fantasy XV Pro patch is live. Reports are that it's 2 gigs (with the PS4 system beta I can't seem to find a file size while it's downloading). I'll give some initial impressions shortly, but only from the supersampling side (using a 2k monitor so it's outputting at 1080p.)

Update: So far reports are that the Lite mode is now an unlocked framerate. While it doesn't hold a steady 60 I will say it's much smoother and combat feels more fluid. I'm hearing (although I haven't tried yet) that the high graphics option hasn't had frame pacing fixed yet.

B D Joe

So glad i completed FFXV before this latest patch. It's horrible in my opinion and i hope they add an option to cap the fps at 30 for lite mode. I just don't understand the appeal of an unlocked fps.

The unlocked framerate is anything but smooth on lite and pans judder now were as before they were smooth , and high still has framepacing issues.

Oh and lite now makes my pro's fans spin like crazy and high is the quieter mode.

Cyberia

Rime Pro enhancements detailed:

Will the game support HDR (High Dynamic Range) technology and if so, on which platforms?
(Carlos Vázquez – Lead Programmer) The support of HDR that we have used on RiME is the one provided by Unreal Engine. We haven’t had the need to change its default settings.

Are you going to use PS4 Pro’s enhanced hardware to deliver graphical enhancements in RiME and if so, which ones?
(Carlos Vázquez – Lead Programmer) Sure, we are using the Pro’s enhanced hardware. As commented before, we wanted a balance between having more frame rate than in a normal PS4 but adding some visual improvements that helped RiME to look even better. These improvements are, in short:
- Much better quality of the shadows.
- Temporal antialiasing has better quality, obtaining more definition and quality in the AA filter.
- The LODs’ distance has been tweaked to increase the visual quality of fauna and flora during the time they are rendered.
- More definition in the texture filter.
- The VFX, shaders, materials and translucency has better quality too so we can have, for example, more realistic metals, better screen space reflections and better detail level in general.

http://wccftech.com/tequila-works-talks-rime/

pottuvoi

Banned
Second, there are multiple methods by which downsampling could occur. I'm not at all qualified to speak to this issue, but graphical expert pottuvoi seems to think that the Pro version might be downsampled using a particular technique that would give these results.
The downsampling is usually just average of subsamples.

The reason why there is single additional color of gradient is how those subsamples are located. (Ordered grid 2x2 downsampled from 4k to 1080p)
https://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/msaa-overview/

joeblow

Here They Lie was exclusive to PSVR, but tomorrow it will be patched to play on the standard PS4 and both versions will have Pro support.

Here They Lie is also getting a PS4 Pro patch on the same day! That means 4K (users need a 4K display device to view in 4K) / HDR support for the Standard version of the game, and an all-around higher quality render-mode for PS4 Pro on PS VR. Better shadows, post-processing effects, dynamic flashlight shadows, and ambient occlusion!

We’ve been listening to your feedback on our website, social media, and in our communal dreams. Many of you had really great requests for Here They Lie, and we’ve implemented as many of them as we could. New additions include a controller configuration screen, the highly requested Chapter Select screen, subtitles (only for the Standard version), and a slew of visual upgrades — like improved anti-aliasing and lighting across the board.

We remember that all of you PS VR Rangers were our first love, and we have not forgotten you! We’ve improved head tracking globally for a smoother, more accurate, and more immersive experience. Additionally, we’ve reworked the overall texture streaming to improve the sharpness of the visuals throughout the world. Some additional tutorial screens have been added to help you smoothly immerse yourself in VR, and you’ll be able to switch between the VR and Standard (non VR) version of Here They Lie seamlessly.

Final Fantasy XV Pro patch is live.
Rime Pro enhancements detailed
Here They Lie was exclusive to PSVR, but tomorrow it will be patched to play on the standard PS4 and both versions will have Pro support.
Fantastic, thanks for all this! I'm working on preparing all the necessary additions and changes for tomorrow.

The downsampling is usually just average of subsamples.

The reason why there is single additional color of gradient is how those subsamples are located. (Ordered grid 2x2 downsampled from 4k to 1080p)
https://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/msaa-overview/
I appreciate this, the link makes the effect very clear. The answer to this next question may end up too technical for me to understand, but I am curious: since ordered-grid and rotated-grid are pulling the same number of samples, why is ordered-grid cheaper? (At least, I assume that's why they'd use it even though the results aren't as smooth as rotated-grid.)

In any case, I really appreciate all your help, and will revise RESOGUN along with everything else tomorrow.

Though I didn't mention it in the thread, I did already add For Honor to the list alongside Mother Russia Bleeds (which I did talk about). The Ubisoft game is a weird one. It supposedly is rendering at a standard 1080p on both PS4 and Xbox One. But there are artifacts all throughout the image, indicative of some sort of accumulation buffer. And on the two platforms, the artifacts are different resolutions (lower on Xbox One). Digital Foundry analyses it as differing qualities of a temporal AA technique, much as they did with Resident Evil 7. But I'm not so sure. Just as with RE 7, the effect is most pronounced on edges--as an AA method would be--but isn't confined there. Some textured surfaces also seem to look lower-res on Xbox One. (That said, Capcom's game has almost no artifacts from their version of the process, whereas For Honor has very noticeable sawtooth issues.)

Of course, Microsoft's platform doesn't directly influence the comparisons in this thread. But the temporal shenanigans seem to be built into the render engine, and ubiquitously present. These same kind of issues are why I previously surmised that Watch_Dogs 2 is actually checkerboarded on all platforms, including standard PS4 and XBox One in addition to PC and PS4 Pro (where it's explicit). For Honor seems much the same, but for now I've added it with details more akin to Resident Evil 7. Please keep in mind that this is tentative.

Many thanks again to everyone who contributes, and feel free to post more screenshots from missing games. Much appreciated!

pottuvoi

Banned
I appreciate this, the link makes the effect very clear. The answer to this next question may end up too technical for me to understand, but I am curious: since ordered-grid and rotated-grid are pulling the same number of samples, why is ordered-grid cheaper? (At least, I assume that's why they'd use it even though the results aren't as smooth as rotated-grid.)
When using MSAA hardware on GPU is used there is no penalty while rasterizing into different sample patterns.
But when using G-buffer for deferred rendering, post processing etc, you need to know the right positions so there might be some additional work needed to fix sample positions.

Most games do not however use MSAA path for supersampling or rendering into higher resolutions, so as far as I know there is no way to alter sample patterns.

I would like to see more games using post-AA at 4k, it would give better gradient for 4k and quite incredible quality when scaling the image to 1080p. (Although even simple additional shader at 4k can be expensive due amount of work involved.)

Melchiah

Good to hear, as I've been wanting to play it. Disappointing to hear, that there's no mention of supersampling, despite of it running at 4K on 4K displays. 1080p users neglected once again.

I've added Here They Lie and Rocket League, based on the best info I could find about them. But some details, such as the presence or not of downsampling to 1080p, have not been verified with my own eyes. If anyone can post 4K screenshots of either (or both) games running at 4K and 1080p, I could perhaps come up with a more definitive answer. Especially for Rocket League it should be easy to come up with comparative 1080p screens from before the patch. (Here They Lie doesn't have any pre-patch shots, so even if you only have the ability to post standard PS4 shots for that game, that'd be very beneficial.)

I've also changed the text on For Honor and Resident Evil VII in an attempt to precisely describe the variable resolution of edges, versus the rest of the image. Please let me know if this works, or if you have any other suggestions. I'd like to have clear note protocol in place if we're going to be seeing more of these accumulation-buffer techniques in the future.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

philm87

I've added Here They Lie and Rocket League, based on the best info I could find about them. But some details, such as the presence or not of downsampling to 1080p, have not been verified with my own eyes. If anyone can post 4K screenshots of either (or both) games running at 4K and 1080p, I could perhaps come up with a more definitive answer. Especially for Rocket League it should be easy to come up with comparative 1080p screens from before the patch. (Here They Lie doesn't have any pre-patch shots, so even if you only have the ability to post standard PS4 shots for that game, that'd be very beneficial.)

I've also changed the text on For Honor and Resident Evil VII in an attempt to precisely describe the variable resolution of edges, versus the rest of the image. Please let me know if this works, or if you have any other suggestions. I'd like to have clear note protocol in place if we're going to be seeing more of these accumulation-buffer techniques in the future.

Thanks to everyone for their help!

Pretty sure Rocket League is 4K now, it looks absolutely beautiful. Says 4k on the patch notes too https://rocketleaguegame.com/news/patch-notes-v1-29/

Does the PS4 Pro output 4k screenshots with the share button now?

Does the PS4 Pro output 4k screenshots with the share button now?
It always has. Indeed, it can be set to take 3840x2160 screenshots even if the console's output is set to 1080p. In that case the screenshots are upscaled, even if the running game also has a high-res mode. (Talking about Share button captures here; games with photo modes are able to save 4K shots even if the console is outputting 1080p. Bound at least does this.)

It is 4K, checkerboard rendered.
Yes. Psyonix has also said that the game doesn't downsample to 1080p, but I actually haven't seen screens showing so. That's what I'm mostly after. Shots may also show if any other graphical effects are changed from standard PS4.

Did XCOM 2 ever get updated? It was on the release list
It has had multiple patches since Pro launch, but to the best of my knowledge no patch notes explicitly saying it got support. I've done analysis of post-patch screenshots, and the game definitely is still running 1080p native. Nor do I see any improved graphical effects (lighting, textures, particles, AO, etc.). User impressions have not remarked on any notable framerate changes. For all these reasons, the game is currently on the "supposedly patched but no improvements seen" list in the OP.

However, some other patched games have extremely subtle improvements. And I could be missing visual or performance enhancements due to not having a lot of material to analyze.

philm87

Has BF1 taken a performance and/or graphical hit in the newest patch, 1.06 on PS4 pro? Or am I just going crazy?

Think you're going crazy. Not noticed a difference myself, still as beautiful as ever. Think it's always been slightly less glorious on multiplayer, or that might just be me.

Perineum

This system is such shit sometimes. I swear I have never had issues with any consoles at launch and in the lifetime I owned them, including a launch Xbox 360.

This? Fuck me. For the umpteenth time I put it into rest mode, and it wouldn't turn back on normally and was forced to pull the plug on it because even hard turn off /reset doesn't do shit all.

This thing needed half a year more in the oven, or maybe I just got a crappy one, I don't know.

prwxv3

This system is such shit sometimes. I swear I have never had issues with any consoles at launch and in the lifetime I owned them, including a launch Xbox 360.

This? Fuck me. For the umpteenth time I put it into rest mode, and it wouldn't turn back on normally and was forced to pull the plug on it because even hard turn off /reset doesn't do shit all.

This thing needed half a year more in the oven, or maybe I just got a crappy one, I don't know.

Mine has been perfect. Never had any issues.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I know Horizon is the new hotness but just playing through RoTR on the Pro, finishing up before Horizon comes out. Here's some screens and brief impressions.

Playing the game in the 4K mode, game has amazing image quality, looks really good on my 4K display. Frame rate holds very well to 30 as well, Geo Thermal valley has some locations where it drops a little but never enough that it becomes a judder. Seems like they fixed the frame pacing and input lag for the most part as I've been getting headshots real easy through out my play.

I don't remember on the 360, but the load times are real quick if you die and reload as well, always a big plus for big open games.

riseofthetombraider_152s2h.png

riseofthetombraider_1pvsti.png

riseofthetombraider_1bhs4k.png

You've got a faulty unit so get it swapped. I had a launch PS4 that was doing the same thing until it refused to boot at all so best get it swapped under warranty.

I know Horizon is the new hotness but just playing through RoTR on the Pro, finishing up before Horizon comes out. Here's some screens and brief impressions.

Playing the game in the 4K mode, game has amazing image quality, looks really good on my 4K display.
I just finished my playthrough of RoTR last weekend. I was dealing with an eternal struggle of 4K or Enhanced Graphics. I would constantly swap between the two during my first time with the game and every so often afterwards, just to see if I thought I made the right choice for me.

And 4K is razor sharp, no doubt about it, but I wound up going with enhanced graphics.

Unrelated topic:

Always once during my play session with my Pro I get an HDMI drop-out. It's without fail. Vizio P65 here. Anyone else with other models experiencing this?

Some really nice looking stuff, thank for sharing! The vista in that last shot is great.

Not many updates recently, though I did add a game I checked out a month ago and forgot to put on the list, Party Golf. It's not like a golf sim and more of a multimode ball-in-goal game, sort of a 2D physics puzzler. It apparently does run at 4K60, though.

Apart from that, I've just been preparing the Boost Mode revision so it'll be ready as soon as the firmware officially releases. Unfortunately, after the initial excitement people stopped checking new games and posting impressions so my list isn't expanding at a high rate anymore. The same is true on a less notable scale about enhanced Pro games generally. As people have gotten used to the scale of improvements, and pretty much all retail games come out with Pro support, players have fallen back into just waiting for big titles.

When I first started this thread, I knew exactly what I was signing up for, and I'm still fully committed to timely updates into the indefinite future. But I have to say that doing my own pixel counts and analysis of screenshots and video is the fun part. Since I don't have a Pro, and won't for some time, I rely on others to provide the material for that. With engagement cooling off, there's much less for me to do.

So if anyone has the ability to post any of the "not checked" games from the OP, that'd be great. Alternately, impressions of Boost Mode comparisons could help too; there's literally hundreds of games that I haven't seen checked. (I posted a list of checked games I know of a couple weeks ago.)

In any case, please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions for the thread. Thanks so much!

The Division got a further Pro patch yesterday after the initial HUD/UI 4K patch in the previous update.

Unsure of the resolution prior to upscale (1440/1800 etc)

X3VAoJN.jpg

Thanks to EL CUCO for the details
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1348688

I'll try get some screens when I'm next on.
Thanks for this! If you can get some screens while moving around, that might help too.

I posted more detail in the specific thread about this, but my initial check seems to show 3840x2160, and supersampling at 1080p. The full 4K count may be due to edges being improved by TAA, with the rest of the image being at lower resolution.

Or, I could just be wrong. Always possible.

makleod

Neo Member

I've been having the EXACT same issue. I think I've narrowed it down though. It only started happening after installing the game Axiom Verge. It only seems to have issues with that particular game installed. Now that I've deleted it, it seems to be working fine now. Really really weird one game would make it act up like that. Do you notice it refusing to go into rest mode while playing or after playing a certain game?

I've been having the EXACT same issue. I think I've narrowed it down though. It only started happening after installing the game Axiom Verge. It only seems to have issues with that particular game installed. Now that I've deleted it, it seems to be working fine now. Really really weird one game would make it act up like that. Do you notice it refusing to go into rest mode while playing or after playing a certain game?

Stardew Valley is the only game that messes up Rest Mode for me. Having it installed never really had a affect on rest mode, but it would happen only when I started to play the game for a few hours. To remedy that, I would close the application and shutdown the console instead of going to Rest Mode.

Jacob4815

In the Horizon OT there are many reports about the Performance Mode.
Many people are saying that Performance Mode in a 1080p TV looks cleaner and sharper than the supersampled Resolution Mode.
This is very strange and surprising... could this be a glitch?
Rise of Tomb Raider looks amazing supersampled from a 4k CK resolution, and so other games.

I think this is the right place to investigate!

In the Horizon OT there are many reports about the Performance Mode.
Many people are saying that Performance Mode in a 1080p TV looks cleaner and sharper than the supersampled Resolution Mode.
This is very strange and surprising... could this be a glitch?
Rise of Tomb Raider looks amazing supersampled from a 4k CK resolution, and so other games.

I think this is the right place to investigate!

Would like to hear more about this. I'm playing it high resolution/pro/HDTV.

It looks phenomenal. I'm staying out of the OT due to spoilers.

Top Bottom