• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

kubev

I didn't notice any mention of Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess anywhere. Could it be that the game is simply untested by most/all outlets? Can anyone here confirm if Deception IV benefits from Boost Mode in any notable way? I don't own the game on PlayStation 4 yet, nor do I own a PlayStation 4, but it's the one game that I kind of want a PlayStation 4 for, and I haven't been able to determine if there're any enhancements on Pro for the game.

massucci

Banned
That's inaccurate. At best games stick to their target frame rates a lot better. Games like Just Cause 3, which were plagued with performance issues, run MUUUCH more consistent now. Other cases like BF4's multiplayer literally sticks to 60 FPS now.

At worse it *MAY* cause some issues in certain games, which is something the system itself tells you but I don't think anyone has outright reported a game constantly crashing with boost mode on. Soma was once reported as not working properly but I've put in a few hours on a new game and it's been running A-Ok.
I wouldn't call 'more consistent' the fps on JC3 in any case, even with boost mode. In the chaotic scenes fps still drops dramatically.

BHK3

Banned
Boost mode was worth the pro purchase to me. Bloodborne actually runs smoothly now, not perfect there's still stutters and hitches here and there but the 26fps lock that was there is gone.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I wouldn't call 'more consistent' the fps on JC3 in any case, even with boost mode. In the chaotic scenes fps still drops dramatically.

Yeah, it's not perfect or anywhere to locked-30 by any means, but it's far better than what we had before. It actually sticks very well to 30 FPS in moments when things aren't exploding, something JC3 doesn't do very well on OG PS4.

Will ME: Andromeda downsample, do we know?

Not sure about down sample but we do know it's supposed to have a 1080p 'high visuals' mode.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I was under the impression this was deliberate by the developers to emulate the old school nes games?

No. PC version doesn't do this at all, (and "emulating" that would be frankly insane) so there's something borked with the Unity optimization in the PS4 version.

5taquitos

Paging IndiePS4GAF:

I don't have a Pro anymore, but will be picking up one again in the near future. I've been DYING to know how two of my favorite indies, Hand of Fate and Ziggurat, perform now that Boost Mode is available. Both games suffered serious frame drops, and I would love to know if improvements can be seen now.

Deepo

I think I'm seeing the same thing on my C6. This is what I'm seeing:

Yup, same thing. Wondering if it's the game that's at fault, or if this is the lack of chroma 4:4:4 in HDR mode rearing its head. Look at the red behind the PSN name there: pretty much a worst case scenario chroma test.

antibolo

Banned
That's inaccurate. At best games stick to their target frame rates a lot better. Games like Just Cause 3, which were plagued with performance issues, run MUUUCH more consistent now. Other cases like BF4's multiplayer literally sticks to 60 FPS now.

At worse it *MAY* cause some issues in certain games, which is something the system itself tells you but I don't think anyone has outright reported a game constantly crashing with boost mode on. Soma was once reported as not working properly but I've put in a few hours on a new game and it's been running A-Ok.

I was talking about games that aren't improved by boost mode at all.

?? Any game that already had a consistent frame rate on regular PS4 to begin with?

I'm not sure what your original point was. The gaumt of experiences is the game might be greatly improved, slightly improved, no improvement, or in some apparently rare cases cause worse performance.

Overall it seems like a great boon.

antibolo

Banned
I'm not sure what your original point was. The gaumt of experiences is the game might be greatly improved, slightly improved, no improvement, or in some apparently rare cases cause worse performance.

Overall it seems like a great boon.

I was answering a question that asked if all games not patched for Pro would benefit from boost mode.

The answer is no, some games don't benefit at all, and some are broken.

Not sure what was so confusing.

I was answering a question that asked if all games not patched for Pro would benefit from boost mode.

I think it was just the "at best no improvement" line. Ah well, we're going in circles.

So if I understand correctly, all games should either benefit from Boost mode, or have a Pro patch from devs?

Where does Ultimate MvC3 lie?
Most games without official Pro support will be helped by Boost Mode. But some may not see much improvement. There's also the possibility of errors being introduced, but so far this seems quite rare.

As for UMvC 3, it supposedly has true Pro support. However, I haven't been able to find any improvements from this in either resolution or framerate. Therefore, it's listed in Table 4 in the OP.

anyone test latest ufc game on boost mode and see any differences?
Yes, it does seem to have mild framerate improvements, and I've added it. But the game wasn't particularly prone to bad drops even without Boost Mode.

Did Ghost Recon get taken off the list?
No, it's still there. But it's listed under the official "Tom Clancy's" title; see the OP for how to search out games with misleading names like this.

Tried some boost mode yesterday....
Thanks for these impressions! I double-checked against other footage, and added them.

In case you guys didn't know, it needs to be put out there for the public record:

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk supports the PS4 Pro in two different ways, neither of which are clarified anywhere within game....
Okay, so no automatic downsampling. I've made the necessary changes. Thanks!

I am curious. Could you take screenshots of when the screen is translating rapidly up and down left to right or while spinning?
I'm sorry, I don't have a Pro. Perhaps someone else in the thread can help out?

We already know about Soma, and according to OP there may be others?
Actually, SOMA has been reported by multiple people to run okay on Pro with Boost Mode. It's possible that the initial reports of crashing may have been unrelated to the overclock. I haven't seen any direct evidence of the other problem games either; all are anecdotal reports (as the table says). If GAFfers want to retest, it may be possible these games are fine.

Any info on borderlands boost mode?
I didn't notice any mention of Deception IV: The Nightmare Princess anywhere.
I've been DYING to know how two of my favorite indies, Hand of Fate and Ziggurat, perform now that Boost Mode is available.
Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to find any footage/shots/impressions of these games to analyze.

I did add 20(!) other games to the Boost Mode list. If you have any impressions, shots, or footage to share it's always appreciated.

Thanks!

Just coming in to say this. I've noticed a huge improvement in The Witcher 3. I've got a save file just past the bloody baron. I love the game and have always gone back to it but the frame rates really put me off. Now I can play it for hours with no problems st all

holygeesus

Banned
Games aren't necessarily improved from Boost Mode, at best it doesn't change anything, at worst it may run worse or break.

This statement is nonsense. There are next to no games harmed by boost mode, and at best frame rates on games struggling originally, are improved. Apart from that, spot on!

Just coming in to say this. I've noticed a huge improvement in The Witcher 3. I've got a save file just past the bloody baron. I love the game and have always gone back to it but the frame rates really put me off. Now I can play it for hours with no problems st all
The Witcher 3 sees only a very minuscule improvement in framerate from Boost mode. It was already locked 30fps, with only drops to 28fps in the swamps and Novigrad. Boost mode brings those two areas up from 28fps to 30fps.

The old 1.10 patch for the Witcher 3 on PS4 is what delivered the improvements you're attributing to Boost mode.

Boost mode does significantly improve loading times though, so that's a very nice improvement (because Witcher 3 loading times are fairly horrendous).

Here is the post you were replying to:

So if I understand correctly, all games should either benefit from Boost mode, or have a Pro patch from devs?

Where does Ultimate MvC3 lie?

And here is your post:

Games aren't necessarily improved from Boost Mode, at best it doesn't change anything, at worst it may run worse or break.

It's confusing because your post contains misinformation.

Other than that, I just want to say how fucking incredible this thread is as a resource. Thanks for all the hard work OP

RexNovis

Banned
Hey so I've been testing some of the PS2 ports and I can confirm that there is a significant frame rate improvement for Rogue Galaxy, Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai. This is especially evident in the menus on Rogue Galaxy. It is by far the biggest difference frame rate wide between the three.

Loading times do seem marginally faster but nothing too noticeable. Still the frame rate in these games is now very close to locked with the very very ocasdional hitch here or there. Very happy with the results so far.

Pretty sure last of us and tales of berseria were a locked 60fps to begin with...
They ran well, but were not locked. Here's a discussion about the various areas and situations where Berseria had framerate issues. And one obvious extended example can be seen from the start of this video.

As for The Last of Us, here's Digital Foundry's analysis which shows it wasn't locked either.

It's confusing because your post contains misinformation.
I think the point was just communicated badly. My belief is that the intended statement was:
Games aren't necessarily improved from Boost Mode, [For those that aren't improved,] at best it doesn't change anything, at worst it may run worse or break.

Hey so I've been testing some of the PS2 ports and I can confirm that there is a significant frame rate improvement for Rogue Galaxy, Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai. This is especially evident in the menus on Rogue Galaxy. It is by far the biggest difference frame rate wide between the three.

Loading times do seem marginally faster but nothing too noticeable. Still the frame rate in these games is now very close to locked with the very very ocasdional hitch here or there. Very happy with the results so far.
Thank you very much for the input! I'll review and add these during my next update. For now, I've made a couple small changes, and added a further 21(!) games to the Boost Mode list. Research proceeds apace.

I thought I should take an opportunity to specifically call out the mass of users outside GAF whose Share videos and other captures have been invaluable the last couple days. Thanks to them, and to the GAF members who've been so generous as well. It'd be very helpful if you continue posting footage, screenshots, impressions, and links.

Timu

This works for PS2 games as well??? That's insane!!!

holygeesus

Banned
I think the point was just communicated badly. My belief is that the intended statement was:

I still don't think that is true. There are literally no PS4 games that stick to either a 30/60fps lock 100% of the time, so you will always see improvements using boost mode. Even solid releases like Doom, for example, show benefits from the option.

Whoa - haven't heard this anywhere else. I should give Bully a look, PS2 on PS4 port was pretty rocky (despite us all thinking it would be locked 60).

manhunt and max Payne run so horrid. I'd still find it hard to believe they run fine. Hopefully Sony can eventually get them running smoothly but I doubt it.

Star fighter is a great one to test. It has slow mo stutter when slowly panning your view.

It's also super clean so it's very jarring. It will be smooth on the first land level, until you start planning and have like two or three enemies on screen.

Sony's effort on bc is quite depressing. Some games are simply better to ignore and just play on ps2 while others are better to just play on steam. Not sure why they don't just op with a choice of pc version and do bundle deals for those that want both. Pc games would obviously run better on 4 anyways I assume. Deus ex, red faction, man hunt, splinter cell etc would all be fantastic with good ps4 ports

I still don't think that is true. There are literally no PS4 games that stick to either a 30/60fps lock 100% of the time, so you will always see improvements using boost mode.
That's not correct. There are games that never lose frames on standard PS4; they're very rare, but they do exist. Furthermore, there are games that are so close that perceptually no distinction could be made.

massucci

Banned
This statement is nonsense. There are next to no games harmed by boost mode, and at best frame rates on games struggling originally, are improved. Apart from that, spot on!
JC3 and Sleeping Dog crash sometimes on my Pro. Another curious thing about Sleeping Dog, the vehicles speed it's boosted too, almost like a video clip parody.

S1kkZ

Tron: Runr Boost Mode

- less framerate dips during the running sections
- massive improvements to the framerate during the bike sections

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Anyone try XCOM2? I don't think we're ever getting that pro patch...

holygeesus

Banned
JC3 and Sleeping Dog crash sometimes on my Pro. Another curious thing about Sleeping Dog, the vehicles speed it's boosted too, almost like a video clip parody.

Weirdly they are two of the games I tried and didn't have any problems with. Well, no more than I had originally with JC3. I had it crash on me before when I played it on my pre-boost days.

Top Bottom