• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All PS4 Pro enhanced games (native support and boosted)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Curious to find out what Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 benefits from on the Pro.

Did they say something about an upcoming patch?
That game launched with absolutely no improvements on Pro.
Maybe it technically supported Pro, (?) but there were no graphical upgrades and the game already maintained 60fps on base PS4 so it was pointless if so.
Check out the Pro screenshots in the console screenshot thread. It's 1080p with no AA, lol.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
There's a new Mafia 3 patch out, put it in the queue just now, will update here if it has any mentions of Pro stuff.

edit:

Jeez.....are they ever going to tune the difficulty AI??? Game definitely needed another six months of development time. UGH.

Did they say something about an upcoming patch?
That game launched with absolutely no improvements on Pro.
Maybe it technically supported Pro, (?) but there were no graphical upgrades and the game already maintained 60fps on base PS4 so it was pointless if so.
Check out the Pro screenshots in the console screenshot thread. It's 1080p with no AA, lol.
I just went through all the pictures in that thread posted since UMvC3 launched, and I'm pretty sure you're wrong that there are Pro shots at all. The only such shots posted are by Teepo671, whose captures are labeled as from a standard PS4. I'm not sure about the patching situation, but the shots at least tell us nothing about whether the game is enhanced on Pro or not.

Jacob4815

Well, Syndicate is a higher resolution (and is also upscaled). This by itself is not a problem, but Syndicate has two issues. First, it renders in anamorphic (horizontally squashed) shape. This approach has been used before with okay results, but Syndicate is strangely severe: less wide than it is tall, the exact opposite of a 16:9 game. This means it has to be stretched a whole bunch to be the right shape again.

And that brings up the second problem: when doing the stretch, it appears to use a nearest-neighbor algorithm. This is a very ugly version of upscaling for an 8/3 ratio, causing lots of artifacts. Using it makes no sense in this case.

How is the downsampled mode of Syndicate? I remember a DF article (maybe I'm wrong) saying that Syndicate is terrible in a 4K Tv but it looks good downsampled in a 1080p Tv.

How is the downsampled mode of Syndicate? I remember a DF article (maybe I'm wrong) saying that Syndicate is terrible in a 4K Tv but it looks good downsampled in a 1080p Tv.
I'd bet it's not particularly great. The higher vertical resolution will give cleaner horizontal edges and textures, and the downsample will smooth out many of the unwanted artifacts in those areas.

But the high-res image actually has less horizontal detail than the standard PS4 version: 1440px versus 1920px. (This is why most people are convinced the current version is a bug.) That means vertical edges are actually upscaled to FullHD, which will lead to lots of shimmer. And for these edges there's no downsampling to hide the ugliness of the upscale method used.

So it's a mix of effects, and viewing at 1080p will help a little...but I doubt it helps enough to make the results look good.

mileS

So Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection is the second game to offer downsampling if you start the game on a 4k display and switch over to 1080p. I really hope Sony offers a fireware update that lets us avoid that. That or you know, crack down on the dev's that for some reason can't offer the option (LAZY). In this case here, you gain nothing for 1080p mode. Dishonored 2 at least offered some vsync and a slightly more stable framerate.

Okay, I've made some changes and additions to the lists as noted in the OP. The only information that came from another source is the mode restriction on the Ezio Collection. All the other alterations are based on me digging up further info about existing games (today's additions got their Pro patches a while ago, not since my last update).

I'm more than happy to keep curating this thread, and using what skills I have to analyze Pro enhancements in games. But there's only so far simple internet searches will take me. To really do the analysis, screenshots are necessary. But I don't have a Pro (and won't for some time). Contributions will keep the lists up to date, and the strongest method is pulling from a large audience.

So if you have the opportunity, I'd ask you to post 4K screenshots yourself (and 1080p, if they seem different). Or, encourage other Pro owners you know to post here. Games I know need further investigation are listed in the OP, but any others are also welcome.

Thanks again to the people that have already helped! And as always, let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

Oneself

Thanks again to the people that have already helped! And as always, let me know if you have any suggestions or comments.

Thank you for this awesome thread. Where are the best places to host 4K shots? I missed posting some Rive screens earlier, saw you got the infos somewhere else though but I'll try to make it easier for you next time.

dugdug

Banned
Hey, so I just got a Pro. Do I have to enable Pro mode or something? Or do games just recognize that I'm playing on a Pro.

Cause, like, I played a couple matches of Paragon and a little bit of Uncharted 4, and...I don't see much difference. I'm on a 1080p TV, mind, but, I guess I was hoping the difference would be more obvious. Unless, as I mentioned, I've missed some button to enable "ballin' ass graphics mode" or something?

Thank you for this awesome thread. Where are the best places to host 4K shots? I missed posting some Rive screens earlier, saw you got the infos somewhere else though but I'll try to make it easier for you next time.
You can host 4K shots at Abload. They have a size cap that will not allow PNGs of that dimension, but you can convert them to JPEG using this online tool (or another of your choice). You could also capture as JPEG on PS4. JPEGs are lossy, but a single iteration from a raw source--even when heavily compressed, which the tool I gave does--is still viable for most analysis.

Feel free to post some RIVE shots to test; more data is good, and what I found wasn't super conclusive. It's always better to have material of good provenance. Thanks again!

Hey, so I just got a Pro. Do I have to enable Pro mode or something? Or do games just recognize that I'm playing on a Pro.

Cause, like, I played a couple matches of Paragon and a little bit of Uncharted 4, and...I don't see much difference. I'm on a 1080p TV, mind, but, I guess I was hoping the difference would be more obvious. Unless, as I mentioned, I've missed some button to enable "ballin' ass graphics mode" or something?
Games will automatically play in Pro mode if it's available. Some games with multiple Pro modes will give you in-game options, but you shouldn't have to set anything up in the OS. Note that the big improvement in Uncharted 4, the HDR, won't show up on your 1080p display. And while the resolution is higher, so you'll get some AA smoothness from downsampling, it's one of the lower res bumps in a Pro game.

Paragon is a lot more focused on 1080p improvements, though--it's probably the strongest effort at that resolution of any Pro-enhanced game. All sorts of stuff is changed: extra grass and vines, better lighting, added motion blur and reflections, and so on. If you're familiar with how the game appears on standard PS4, you should definitely be able to tell. Is there more than one map in Paragon? Perhaps some areas are less improved.

dugdug

Banned
Paragon is a lot more focused on 1080p improvements, though--it's probably the strongest effort at that resolution of any Pro-enhanced game. All sorts of stuff is changed: extra grass and vines, better lighting, added motion blur and reflections, and so on. If you're familiar with how the game appears on standard PS4, you should definitely be able to tell. Is there more than one map in Paragon? Perhaps some areas are less improved.

I've put 72 hours into that game and I'm not seeing much difference, honestly. I heard such good things about Paragon on Pro that it was one of my biggest factors in getting one.

The irony is that, when they announced Pro, they showed off the differences in Paragon, and, everyone was pretty impressed. Then, Epic completely changed the game, putting in an entirely new map. The map is relatively new, so, I guess I'm not *as* familiar with that one as I am the old one to see the differences.

I dunno.

Just to add to the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auELAvhjXfg

Shadow of Mordor apparently holds full native 4K for most of the game. Lowest it goes to is 3072 x 1728 is stress scenarios.
The info in this video--dynamic res up to 4K, and improved draw distance in a selectable 1080p mode--has been in the list since I first posted a couple weeks ago. This is an example where you can see that I research and vet data myself, and don't just repeat Digital Foundry content (or stuff from other sources).

That's not to say that they're not useful. DF especially show plentiful evidence for their conclusions, whereas my own analysis often has to rely on individual screenshots from other users (since I don't have a Pro). Even this video, which they admit is late to the party, contains the useful datum that the dynamic resolution only rarely drops. I'll add that at some point (I'm updating every other day currently). Thanks!

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The info in this video--dynamic res up to 4K, and improved draw distance in a selectable 1080p mode--has been in the list since I first posted a couple weeks ago. This is an example where you can see that I research and vet data myself, and don't just repeat Digital Foundry content (or stuff from other spurces).

That's not to say that they're not useful. DF especially show evidence for their conclusions, whereas my own analysis often has to rely on individual screenshots from other users (since I don't have a Pro). Even this video, which they admit is late to the party, contains the useful datum that the dynamic resolution only rarely drops. I'll add that at some point (I'm updating every other day currently). Thanks!

Thanks. I didn't mean it as a correction to OP, just that now we have solid resolution numbers and what the lowest the game goes to when stressed.

Your work is superb already. Keep up the fantastic work. I've referred this topic to a lot of non-gaffers interested in the Pro as well.

Battlefield 1 is the first game I tested with the Pro. Is it just me or is it not noticably better on a 4K TV?

I'm installing Uncharted 4 now since that seems to be the one everyone notices a huge jump from PS4 the most.

dmshaposv

I just got a pro and got Rise of the Tomb Raider.

That 4K image mode is easily the cleanest IQ I've seen on a console to date. Sublime work.

I want something like that for more games! anyother must have games for Pro? TLG badly needed it for performance and I'm glad I played half of the game on my standard PS4 and half on the Pro.

SURGEdude

Battlefield 1 is the first game I tested with the Pro. Is it just me or is it not noticably better on a 4K TV?

I'm installing Uncharted 4 now since that seems to be the one everyone notices a huge jump from PS4 the most.

I'd say as far as a jump between standard and Pro Tomb Raider is a solid choice.

thatJohann

Rise of tomb raider looks great in 4K. Gonna do my first play through in 4K then on 60 fps mode because even though it has tons of jaggies, it feels amazing in 60 fps

I've made changes to some of the existing records in the list. Most of these are minor and just for clarity, but I feel like one of them needs careful justification.

I've changed Watch_Dogs 2 from 1080p on the standard PS4 to 1080c. That is, I believe it's using a form of interpolation in every version (including Xbox One), not just on Pro's high-res mode. While this was spurred by Digital Foundry's recent comparison, I want to be very clear that my idea explicitly contradicts what they say. Since they unquestionably have more expertise than I do, I should lay out why I've concluded otherwise.

The key point is that the game has rendering artifacts all over the place. Here's a shot of some, visible as stippling or checkering.

wd2cbr3pokzf.png

Digital Foundry's conclusion is that this comes from a bad implementation of HRAA, a method Ubisoft developed that was used (at least) for Far Cry 4 and The Crew. This AA technique combines several elements, one of which is using temporal reconstruction like Killzone: Shadow Fall to get approximations of supersampling. Here's a slide from a SIGGRAPH 2014 presentation by the developer:

tssl6klb.png

The method presented isn't about rendering more pixels from reconstruction, like Killzone multiplayer did. Rather, the extra pixels are "virtual", used to enhance the AA results on a natively rendered image. As the presentation notes, however, this quick method can produce artifacts like its inspiration:

flipquad82j2t.png

These should be able to be filtered out, because they'll only occur on edges. What Digital Foundry seems to believe is that the artifacts in Watch_Dogs 2 are the result of this filtering step being done badly, or not at all.

However, I'm not convinced that the WD2 artifacts are from HRAA. For one, though they show no examples, DF say the stippling happens "...not just on edges, but across transparencies and even texture details." According to the presentation, that shouldn't be the case with HRAA, whose flipquad reconstruction actually has a tendency to blur high-frequency detail, not add it.

In addition, I've noted some artifacts in the comparison video that don't seem explainable as HRAA gone wrong. For example, here are some non-continuous trails from quick-moving lights, which appear to be remnants of an accumulation buffer that are still being displayed frames later.

trailartifactsekj39.png

Even more telling, I think, is when an object actually has a checkerboard pattern right across it. (As with all my examples, these are Youtube captures, so compression is messing up some of the patterning here.)

checkerartifacts2ujen.png

To me, this strongly looks like a failure of checkerboarding to work properly on an object with low predictability. Along with the other points above, I believe it's enough to tentatively conclude that we're seeing true CBR, and not a problematic version of interpolated AA.

This makes sense on a timeline, too, presuming Ubisoft studios share technology. By late 2014 Far Cry 4 and The Crew were using an adapted version of Killzone's technique, but just for AA; by late 2015 Rainbow 6 Siege was using it for the entire image, but now improved with checkerboard pattern. It would be strange for Watch_Dogs 2 to skip backward to the 2014 implementation, rather than using the more modern and improved 2015 style.

For now, I'm going to go ahead with saying Watch_Dogs 2 is checkerboard in all versions. However, others with more knowledge may find my argument unconvincing or even completely misguided. Please let me know if I'm making obvious errors here, and this all points to a different conclusion.

And as always, it would be helpful for the thread to post 4K screens and impressions of any game. Thanks!

nelchaar

I have 72hrs or BF1 on record, 70 of which on an 1080p tv and PS4 OG, 2hrs on a 4K and PS4 pro. I can clearly notice the image clarity difference and the performance gains.

adamsapple

And as always, it would be helpful for the thread to post 4K screens and impressions of any game. Thanks!

I'll post a few of my favorites from my own Pro on a 4K TV, down-scaled to 1080p PNGs. Brief Pro impressions next to each.

inFamous: Second Son
Game holds up ridiculously well for an old title. Lighting effects really shine, I don't have an HDR TV but I can imagine the neon effects pop up real nice on HDR displays.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Tremendous. Easily the best looking game I've ever seen/played irrespective of hardware. Draw distance, character rendering and animations, lighting etc. Sure it's not the highest resolution Pro game, but the great anti aliasing solution ensures the image quality is pristine with no artifacts.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Visually one of the lesser Pro upgraded games I've played so far. Characters look nice and meaty, environments and lighting look good too but there's an artificial sharpening applied to everything which can come off really bad in some areas.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Was blown away with how good it looks. That and it running at a very consistent 60 FPS. A combination of native and checker boarded 4K ensures visual quality is pristine. The game uses a lot of 1080p video files so whenever they kick in, the general effects look higher quality but the downgrade in resolution is immediately apparent.

inFamous is from the real time photo mode, rest are all in-game graphics. I would honestly pay actual money for a Pro patch for Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight.

[cool images]
Great stuff! You're right that Mankind Divided is the least impressive looking overall, but the POM on the street cobbles being overlaid with reflective water is a neat effect.

I also see that Infinite Warfare has a native-resolution film grain effect. I bet this hides checkerboard artifacting very effectively, which could mean we'll see it more going forward.

As one note, you're probably correct to post 1080p versions in the thread itself, for viewing clarity. But for deeper analysis screens still at 4K are better (even if they have to be JPEG instead of PNG for size). If in future you could put links to 4K versions alongside the 1080p ones posted, that'd be ideal.

Thanks again!

As someone without the Pro yet, this is a very helpful thread. I haven't ruled out getting the Pro, so this is informative for me so I know how I'd benefit.

So did that Final Fantasy XV PS4 Pro patch ever come out?
Do you mean "Is Final Fantasy XV enhanced on Pro?" If so, yes it is; check the list in the OP. Or do you mean "Has Final Fantasy XV's Pro performance been changed since first release?" The answer to that is no. Sony cert is on holiday vacation right now, so early January is the earliest you could see another update.

While I don't tag which games have been changed when I do updates, so far I think I'm keeping pretty current. Therefore the status shown in the lists is how the games work right now. Regardless of whether there's been an update or not, you can use this thread as a good snapshot of where things sit (at least for now).

Vol5

Great thread.

Anyone noticed overwatch frames don't feel quite as smooth as on the standard PS4? I don't quite know how to explain it, but while it's still 60fps, there's a kind of judder in-between frames. It's in no way game breaking and kinda suits my TV as it looks less soap-opera.

Rockeeo

Not an expert, but the Yakuza 6 information does not seem accurate (or maybe it is accurate since the term "slightly" is used). My impressions are based on owning the game and playing the demo on a 4k TV using a PS4 Pro. I also played the first demo on a regular PS4/1080p TV. I switched between 1080p and 4k mode on the PS4 for the full game and 2nd demo.

The game runs at a solid 30 with no screen tearing for me. Regular PS4 owners have complained about screen tearing and framerate issues. The Pro seems to improve these two areas.

I am not convinced the game runs at 1080p. Other than the characters, there are lots of jaggies and shimmering. I can't really think of a 1080p game with this many jaggies.

Black Hat

Any info on what's Telltale's Walking Dead S3 is running at?

Seems to perform well on Pro (for a Telltale game that sure is something)

ReitStuff

Do you mean "Is Final Fantasy XV enhanced on Pro?" If so, yes it is; check the list in the OP. Or do you mean "Has Final Fantasy XV's Pro performance been changed since first release?" The answer to that is no. Sony cert is on holiday vacation right now, so early January is the earliest you could see another update.

While I don't tag which games have been changed when I do updates, so far I think I'm keeping pretty current. Therefore the status shown in the lists is how the games work right now. Regardless of whether there's been an update or not, you can use this thread as a good snapshot of where things sit (at least for now).

You mean the performance patch? If so, then no. Only the resolution patch so far.

Yea, I thought I had read a while back that there was a 'December Patch' that was supposed to improve the frame rate. I guess we're still waiting on that?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I'd love for FFXIV to get a decent fix for high resolution mode. It looks nice, but I wouldn't consider it playable if you're framerate-sensitive. I'll be sticking to lite until it's patched (if ever).

I've made some slight changes and one VR (re)addition to the list.

Not an expert, but the Yakuza 6 information does not seem accurate (or maybe it is accurate since the term "slightly" is used).
The improvements I listed are very small, possibly only noticeable if you look at standard and Pro screenshots side-by-side (which is what I did). I've changed the list text to say "marginally" rather than "slightly" to drive the point home. Thanks for the info!

I am not convinced the game runs at 1080p. Other than the characters, there are lots of jaggies and shimmering. I can't really think of a 1080p game with this many jaggies.
This is because, at least in 1080p mode, Yakuza 6 appears to use no AA at all. That's what's causing the jaggies and shimmering...and also makes it very easy to pixel count. So I'm pretty sure it's running at native 1080p.

That said, I don't have my own screenshots to check, just those posted by others. And I haven't seen any 4K screenshots at all. If you could post some, I could do a definitive count. (To post 4K, you'll need to capture JPEG instead of PNG to keep the size down; counting will still be possible.) I'd really appreciate it!

Any info on what's Telltale's Walking Dead S3 is running at?

Seems to perform well on Pro (for a Telltale game that sure is something)
As with Yakuza above, if you can post 4K screenshots I can pixel count and analyze. Share video could also get us rough framerate info. If you have the chance, that'd be excellent!

Thanks to everyone who helps!

adamsapple

Great stuff! You're right that Mankind Divided is the least impressive looking overall, but the POM on the street cobbles being overlaid with reflective water is a neat effect.

I also see that Infinite Warfare has a native-resolution film grain effect. I bet this hides checkerboard artifacting very effectively, which could mean we'll see it more going forward.

As one note, you're probably correct to post 1080p versions in the thread itself, for viewing clarity. But for deeper analysis screens still at 4K are better (even if they have to be JPEG instead of PNG for size). If in future you could put links to 4K versions alongside the 1080p ones posted, that'd be ideal.

Thanks again!

I've taken a 4K JPG and PNG from the same point in Watch Dogs 2, the PNG has come up 10+ MB, I can't find any free image host to post it so we can compare realistically what the difference is.

Can you recommend me a free image host which can take a roughly 10.5 MB image ? Here's the 4K JPG, there seems to be a healthy amount of compression in it.

For now, here's a mega.nz link for the 10MB PNG

https://mega.nz/#!0JcCSDYB!eM3kH3zcF2QETzZh_t_K1BGrSUwlXWNfeWLKxEhvGO8

I just bought a pro but haven't had a chance to hook it up to my 4K TV. My question is, does anyone have theirs running through an HDMI switch of any sort? Does that typically degrade quality?

I currently have all my devices (Amazon FTV, 360, ,PS3, cable box) hooked up to a 10-year-old Sony receiver via HDMI and then to one input on the TV. I wouldn't even question this being an issue except for when I had my PS3 hooked up to an older TV, 3-D mode wouldn't work unless connected directly to the TV itself.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I just bought a pro but haven't had a chance to hook it up to my 4K TV. My question is, does anyone have theirs running through an HDMI switch of any sort? Does that typically degrade quality?

I currently have all my devices (Amazon FTV, 360, ,PS3, cable box) hooked up to a 10-year-old Sony receiver via HDMI and then to one input on the TV. I wouldn't even question this being an issue except for when I had my PS3 hooked up to an older TV, 3-D mode wouldn't work unless connected directly to the TV itself.

If you get a proper switch no problems. But as you correctly guessed, your receiver will likely be too old to pass the 4k signal.

j0hnnix

Got excited this popped back up on main page for BB Pro patch.. disappointed. back into cave.

Very informative OP though!

joeblow

^^^ No need to do that. If Bloodborne ever got a patch (no indication it ever will, BTW), the news will generate its own announcement thread.

Femto.

Silly question:

Does the type of HDMI cable you use matter? I'm getting my Pro this week and I plan to use the HDMI cable I got from MonoPrice years ago.

5taquitos

Silly question:

Does the type of HDMI cable you use matter? I'm getting my Pro this week and I plan to use the HDMI cable I got from MonoPrice years ago.

It matters if you're using a 4K TV. You'll need HDMI 2.0, which the Pro comes with.

It doesn't matter if you're using a 1080p TV. Any HDMI cable will work fine.

Femto.

It matters if you're using a 4K TV. You'll need HDMI 2.0, which the Pro comes with.

It doesn't matter if you're using a 1080p TV. Any HDMI cable will work fine.

Thanks, I'll be using a 1080p monitor anyway so I'll just hold onto that HDMI 2.0 till I upgrade.

Top Bottom