• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Russian/Brazillian (or similar) games on Steam now have regional activation locks

Necrovex

So are the keys for sale in B/S/T pretty much worthless now?

Sounds it.

I understand why Steam did that, considering the Russia's economy has just tumbled down a hill and is currently making Greece look good. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy with Steam's decision to promote region lock and will continue to argue against Steam's decision.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
SHUT_DOWN_EVERYTHING_by_BrunowskiSigs.jpg

Einbroch

Banned
This isn't like Nintendo locking the 3DS. Games aren't going to come out in certain regions and not others.

Honestly don't see the big deal.

takoyaki

My guess is that this isn't retroactive, even for preorders. Valve must be worried about the ruble's rapidly declining value and the implications it will have on purchases going forward.

They have good reasons to region-lock Russian keys, but they can also get rid of cheap key-vendors altogether because it would be bad PR to single out Russia. It's a "crisotunity" for Valve ;)

seph1roth

I haven't bought games from Russia, all my steam games are from steam or otger sites that sells ROW keys.

But that lock that makes Brazilian keys useless is shit..fu***ng shit.

What if Nuuvem starts to sell ROW keys with an advertising at his site like other ones do? That sounds logical...

I'm from Spain and the main market wjere i buy games is Amazon.com, so unless they locked the US keys for the rest of the world i'm fine with it.

Momentary

Banned
I feel bad for people where were only able to get region locked games through this method.

It's definitely not going to make me quit buying games on Steam since they can be had for a fairly cheap price through Green Man Gaming and Steam Sales. This is really going to bother those that liked getting new games for ridiculously cheap prices. It was good while it lasted I guess.

This is definitely not a reason for the second group I mentioned to throw a hissy fit. It really makes them sound ridiculous.

Occam

You gave Steam all this power by making them as big as they are. This is the result.

Corporations benefit from globalization while telling consumers that the cake is a lie so they can have all of it for themselves.

#EndRegionLocking

Adnor

Banned
This isn't like Nintendo locking the 3DS. Games aren't going to come out in certain regions and not others.

Honestly don't see the big deal.

The biggest issue will be when people want to give a game away, now they will only be able to give it to someone from their region.

GravyButt

Sorry. Didn't read the pages cuz im nerved up. Bought a bunch of ru keys through a guy on cag throughout the past 3 years. Are all those games in my library now useless?!

UrbanRats

My guess is that this isn't retroactive, even for preorders. Valve must be worried about the ruble's rapidly declining value and the implications it will have on purchases going forward.

They have good reasons to region-lock Russian keys, but they can also get rid of cheap key-vendors altogether because it would be bad PR to single out Russia. It's a "crisotunity" for Valve ;)

Nuuvem is a "cheap key-vendor"?

Corpekata

Banned
Sorry. Didn't read the pages cuz im nerved up. Bought a bunch of ru keys through a guy on cag throughout the past 3 years. Are all those games in my library now useless?!

No. It is going to affect future purchases. As long as you redeemed them already you should be fine.

aravuus

Well, if this means what I think it means, I guess that's about it for me. Won't be buying too many PC games from now on.

I'm fucking lolling at the "support your hobby (by paying absurd amounts of money for a single videogame)" posts though

Slavik81

It's been mentioned a couple times already, but this probably has more to do with the Russian currency than any sort of new policy.

That's the usual old argument.
It's scamming the system when consumers try to look for themselves; it's globalization and free market when corporations go in foreign countries looking for cheap labor.

And they even manage to convince consumers to preach self-loathing about it.
This ignores the basic economics. The proceeds of cheap games to Russians are nothing more than icing on the cake for games that have already been mostly paid for by higher-priced sales in wealthier nations. If everyone just bought at the Russian price, there's no way that most games could be profitable. So, if game companies find themselves in the position that they are only really able to sell at one price everywhere in the world, they're going to sell it at the American price.

That is to say, if everyone took advantage of buying keys through Russia, the end result would be that American consumers gain nothing, the publishers lose out a little, and the Russians lose out a lot... until they get good at pirating games. Arguably, there's a little more to this story, since publishers don't want to turn Russia into a thriving den of piracy (more than it is already) but I don't think that would affect the outcome too much.

I do have my own complaints about region locking in terms of software freedom, but I don't think the economic argument against it is very good.

jblank83

As much as I like cheap games, I can't really get upset about this. Companies need money to stay in business. If everyone buys the Witcher 3 for $15, CD ProjektRed will face more difficulties making their next games.

There's always waiting for Steam Sales, as well, if one needs to.

Fdkn

I don't think this is so much related to the arguably marginal grey market of russian keys and it's more about the Russian Ruble collapsing so fast the last few days.

GHG

Eh...

I live in the UAE but I'm from the UK originally. So I still make my purchases from the UK store.

So you're trying to tell me I can't do this anymore?

Will I even be able to access my games?

Salsa

Eh...

I live in the UAE but I'm from the UK originally. So I still make my purchases from the UK store.

UK and US are apparently fine so far

sflufan

Banned
Eh...

FOR THE 138TH TIME IN THIS THREAD, YOU WILL NOT LOSE ACCESS TO YOUR GAMES!

Carlius

Banned
Steam's been gradually turning to shit for quite some time now. Not surprised...

Valve shouldn't be getting a free pass because they used to make great games.

lol steam is not about valve making great games, steam is about steam being a graet service in general. no need to get wild and crazy

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
see, I live in Uruguay. There's 3 million people here. very few use Steam. im assuming i'll end up as same region as Brazil (or close by) even tho my prices are the same as the US for the most part (only exception is 2k games being $10 cheaper) and my currency is USD, or worse; a specific one that's also region locked

this can easily and probably will lead to me not being able to gift games to anyone on GAF

what did I do

This is a sign for your country to not sell Nazi artifacts from German WWII era warships.

What if i have a game on my inventory that says RU OLD. What does that mean?

Witcher 3?

CDProjekt added a new Witcher 3 sub, and changed the old one, so that un-redeemed RU/CIS copies could not be gifted or traded to non RU/CIS accounts. You have the older sub which could be gifted/traded to non RU/CIS accounts. If you had left the game as a gift in your inventory, it would be blocked from being traded.

I don't think this is so much related to the arguably marginal grey market of russian keys and it's more about the Russian Ruble collapsing so fast the last few days.

That's what I'd expect. I guess Valve can't just set prices to be based on a near-real-time conversation rate to USD or something and just charge like 40 billion rubles or whatever for Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Spacejaws

ew, steam is getting worse and worse.

say all you want about origins but i can use VPN and get my game from whatever region i want, without involving another party AND not get banned. Origin is great, idc what anyone says. as long as they don't change that origin is good in my books

But Origin say you can get banned for doing this. Using a VPN to unlock the game early they don't care but purchasing from another country cab get your account banned. Or at least I found this out through the reddit for unlocking Dragon Age early, a user posted his discussion with Origin support where they got confused, thought the user was asking if using a VPN to purchase a game was bannable and they told him purchasing through a VPN on another store can get accounts banned.

I've never heard of it happening though if that means anything

Momentary

Banned
Steam's been gradually turning to shit for quite some time now. Not surprised...

Valve shouldn't be getting a free pass because they used to make great games.

So they've turned into shit because they stopped people buying off a grey market? I feel like Steam is the best thing to happen to PC gaming. Ever. And it's improving every year.

takoyaki

Nuuvem is a "cheap key-vendor"?

I've never heard of Nuuvem before, but they are currently selling Witcher 3 for 90BRL which is about 26 Euro. If I can buy that code either normally or via VPN and activate it on Steam, than yes, Nuuvem is a "cheap key-vendor, at least from Valve's point of view.

Top Bottom