• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Russian/Brazillian (or similar) games on Steam now have regional activation locks

SerTapTap

does this mean i can have nudity in my steam games now? since they aren't the same ones sold to the americucks and no one here gives a shit about titties in video games

gabe please

There's bare penises in both Outlast and Amnesia on Steam in the US so no that's not the issue

sflufan

Banned
Won't this just drive a lot of people in those regions to piracy

I don't understand the logic of this

No, because games in those regions are already priced at significant discounts relative to the US/EU.

This move was made to prevent price arbitrage based on currency values where people in "wealthier" regions took advantage of those discounted prices.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So if i'm from Mexico and i buy a ROW key that means i can't redeem it in my account?

You've got it backwards. The change only affects Steam gifts bought in and multi-pack keys activated in Mexico and the like.

Garou

As someone who occasionally trades for games not available in my region but who doesn't want any Russian versions in my library I guess this is actually a good thing.

Linkark07

Banned
No, because games in those regions are already priced at significant discounts relative to the US/EU.
Not really. Here in Panama the games have the same price as the US store. Only Origin and GoG lowers the price of their games.

Edit: also, some gaffer who lives near Brazil said the prices of the games aren't cheaper unlike, well, the Brazilian store.

MUnited83

For you.
As someone who occasionally trades for games not available in my region but who doesn't want any Russian versions in my library I guess this is actually a good thing.

It kinda isn't because most of the time Russia gets the same version as everyone else.

This move was made to prevent price arbitrage based on currency values where people in "wealthier" regions took advantage of those discounted prices.

It really isn't. Many of the stores affected have the exact same price as the US one, for example.

And in the other end, there's a crapload of poor european countries, that have a average salary close or lower than Russia and they pay the same as the rest of the EU.

I mean, if you want to do regional pricing and locking, DO IT RIGHT.

There's bare penises in both Outlast and Amnesia on Steam in the US so no that's not the issue

they force vns to be censored. the gta4 expansions have full front nudity. max payne 3 has nude women as well. it's a double standard and it doesn't make any sense

if the americans/anglosphere are offended by titties, they can keep only the us/anglosphere versions censored. the rest of the world isn't offended by sex and nudity. people who live in other countries shouldn't have their products censored because americans are against something

UrbanRats

Correct.

The AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting flag doesn't affect keys with the exception of gift copies earned by activating a multi-pack key. For instance, if you lived in Russia and activated a four-pack key for Age of Mythology, the resulting three spare copies would be region-locked.

So why would this affect Nuuvem? Are the keys they give you still considered gifts?

chadskin

The AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting flag doesn't affect keys with the exception of gift copies earned by activating a multi-pack key. For instance, if you lived in Russia and activated a four-pack key for Age of Mythology, the resulting three spare copies would be region-locked.

Gotcha, thanks, at least that option remains lol

Will be interesting to see this unfold once it reaches the mainstream. There'll be lots of unhappy customers hitting the Steam message boards soon I assume.

Olli128

So key resellers are screwed? Doesn't effect me cause but that's a shame that those people will lose their businesses.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
And in the other end, there's a crapload of poor european countries, that have a average salary close or lower than Russia and they pay the same as the rest of the EU.

... like poland

nothing better than having to pay 60€ for new games in a country where the average salary is around 400€ per month ... thanks, volvo

Cbajd5

guys there'll be more pricing mistakes to make up for this right

i need my deals man

i can't live without my deals

i don't need the games even i just need my deals

Like seriously, I still need to get around to playing those games I got in that Bethesda Pack mistake like two years ago.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Some dude I know is saying that he can't run Russian Watch_Dogs anymore, as in this is a runtime-level switch.

Anybody with the Russian version of Watch_Dogs care to confirm/deny/double check if the restriction was enabled before today?

UrbanRats

Again, it doesn't affect keys, unless those keys are keys for 4packs specifically.
This is pretty confusing to me.

When i activate a product on steam, they know where a key it's from, but how can they know if i got it from a store like Nuuvem or a Brazilian key reseller/private user? Sorry i'm not being intentionally obtuse, just trying to wrap my head around this.

EDIT: Whatever i'll check this thread tomorrow, 'cause i need to get a couple of hours of sleep.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Also, wasn't the AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting flag enabled by default on recently released new games from Russia/Brazil already?

Other than this being a retroactive thing, and changing older registry entries that were still set to disabled, how is it any different?

Syntsui

On one hand we have the cheapest Steam games in the world here in Brazil, on the other hand they are all region locked... Fuck, so if one day I decide to study abroad I won't be able to play the games I purchased? This is so fucking ridiculous.

sflufan

Banned
On one hand we have the cheapest Steam games in the world here in Brazil, on the other hand they are all region locked... Fuck, so if one day I decide to study abroad I won't be able to play the games I purchased? This is so fucking ridiculous.

YES! YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY THOSE GAMES THAT YOU PURCHASED AND ARE IN YOUR ACCOUNT!

Can someone put that in the OP so that the question doesn't keep getting asked over and over and over...

JaseC

This is pretty confusing to me.

When i activate a product on steam, they know where a key it's from, but how can they know if i got it from a store like Nuuvem or a Brazilian key reseller/private user? Sorry i'm not being intentionally obtuse, just trying to wrap my head around this.

EDIT: Whatever i'll check this thread tomorrow, 'cause i need to get a couple of hours of sleep.

A multi-pack key bought from Brazil wouldn't be region-locked unless the publisher set up the package it's tied to in such a way. If someone with a Brazilian IP were to activate it, however, the resulting spares would be region-locked.

Also, wasn't the AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting flag enabled by default on recently released new games from Russia/Brazil already?

Other than this being a retroactive thing, and changing older registry entries that were still set to disabled, how is it any different?

It isn't.

Syntsui

YES! YOU WILL BE ABLE TO PLAY THOSE GAMES THAT YOU PURCHASED AND ARE IN YOUR ACCOUNT!

Can someone put that in the OP so that the question doesn't keep getting asked over and over and over...
?????
So this doesn't make sense. I'm not talking about only about the games I already own, I'm considering the games I will still buy in the future.

molnizzle

On one hand, this is lame.

On the other hand, I paid like $25 for The Witcher III... over a year before it will even be released.

Something had to give. =P

JaseC

Some dude I know is saying that he can't run Russian Watch_Dogs anymore, as in this is a runtime-level switch.

Anybody with the Russian version of Watch_Dogs care to confirm/deny/double check if the restriction was enabled before today?

Watch Dogs' RU pre-order subs were region-locked a couple of months after pre-orders went live and the post-release standard edition sub was OARIC-locked before it went up. The post-release RU DDE sub only has ACRTAG. You may also want to inform him that the RU subs are "language-locked" to Russian, so unless he's fluent in the language the game will essentially be unplayable for him even if he uses a VPN/the app id trick to run the game.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
?????
So this doesn't make sense. I'm not talking about only about the games I already own, I'm considering the games I will still buy in the future.

You can't buy games from one region in another. It doesn't matter where your Steam account is from, if you're connecting to your Brazillian account on the US Steam Store (because you have an American IP because you're in the united states), you'll access the US store and you won't be able to buy anything (because your account says you're from one country while you're accessing from another country).

You'd have, at that point, contact Steam support and let them know that you're traveling. Your account will then be unlocked to buy games from the region you're CURRENTLY IN.

In other words, while in the US, you'll be able to buy games from the US store, as long as you notify Steam support (and I would suggest you to contact the support BEFORE going to this other country and letting them know upfront). NOT the Brazilian store.

All in all, I'm glad I sold all these 21 TF2 keys earlier today, when the Russian-Store prices being adjusted rumour showed up.

Vlaphor

Ok, I know that my games are safe, but I am getting a few conflicted reports about which regions this affects. At first it sounded like all regions, but then someone just said Mexico or something, so I'll ask to make sure.

I live in the USA, can I get an import copy of a game gifted to me, or is that no longer an option?

Syntsui

You can't buy games from one region in another. It doesn't matter where your Steam account is from, if you're connecting to your Brazillian account on the US Steam Store (because you have an American IP because you're in the united states), you'll access the US store and you won't be able to buy anything (because your account says you're from one country while you're accessing from another country).

You'd have, at that point, contact Steam support and let them know that you're traveling. Your account will then be unlocked to buy games FROM THE REGION you're traveling to.

In other words, while in the US, you'll be able to buy games from the US store, as long as you notify Steam support. NOT the Brazilian store.
I have no interest in buying games in the USA, here in Brazil we already have the best prices on steam.

But hypothetically, if I go to the USA I will be able to play the games I already own that I bought in Brazil right?

Also if I decide to buy new games while abroad, I will always be redirected to the Brazilian store and I would not have any problem in buying them cheap as if I were in Brazil?

These are my only doubts, the way you explained it seems this change doesn't affect me at all (if so, great lol). Thanks for your attention.

EDIT: just read more carefully and I understood about not being able to buy games from divergent regions, sorry for this I'm really tired right now. But I would still be able to buy the games I already bought right?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I have no interest in buying games in the USA, here in Brazil we already have the best prices on steam.

But hypothetically, if I go to the USA I will be able to play the games I already own that I bought in Brazil right?

Also if I decide to buy new games while abroad, I will always be redirected to the Brazilian store and I would not have any problem in buying them cheap as if I were in Brazil?

These are my only doubts, the way you explained it seems this change doesn't affect me at all (if so, great lol). Thanks for your attention.

Your first question is not regarding the current changes at all: The changes that occurred today have already been in place for NEW RELEASES for the past 2 months, and they're only regarding the ACTIVATION of games, not the RUNNING of them.

Your second question was already answered in my message: Valve doesn't care about what you WANT to do, they only care about your current geographical region. It doesn't matter where your account was created, it only matters where you're accessing from: If your account is Brazilian (which seems to be the case) and you're accessing the service from the US (by using an american IP), you'll only be able to access (and purchase from, after letting Valve know through the support) the US Store.

You won't be able to access the Brazilian store from the US.

Syntsui

Your first question is not regarding the current changes at all: The changes that occurred today have already been in place for NEW RELEASES for the past 2 months, and they're only regarding the ACTIVATION of games, not the RUNNING of them.

Your second question was already answered in my message: Valve doesn't care about what you WANT to do, they only care about your current geographical region. It doesn't matter where your account was created, it only matters where you're accessing from: If your account is Brazilian (which seems to be the case) and you're accessing the service from the US (by using an american IP), you'll only be able to access (and purchase from, after letting Valve know through the support) the US Store.

You won't be able to access the Brazilian store from the US.
Thanks for your answer and sorry for not not reading carefully.

JaseC

Ok, I know that my games are safe, but I am getting a few conflicted reports about which regions this affects. At first it sounded like all regions, but then someone just said Mexico or something, so I'll ask to make sure.

I live in the USA, can I get an import copy of a game gifted to me, or is that no longer an option?

Gifts purchased in these territories will be region-locked at the activation level and ditto for gifts earned by activating a multi-pack key. That's it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Maybe people wouldn't have to do this shit if a digital copy didn't cost as much as a fucking physical copy. Paying 60-70 euros for a digital copy is fucking insane. It's insane for a physical copy even

Top Bottom