• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All things China |OT| !

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Well, I, personally, paid nothing. If that makes you feel better. Friends in high places, my man.

BTW, you had asked me about using your German law degree. What is your specialization? Have you thought of getting clients over the Internet? Unless there's some kind of residency requirement, why can't you?

A law degree does not mean a lawyer. In Germany, you have to work at a law firm or some equivalent legal institution for 2 years before you're allowed to take the exam to be qualified to practice law.

A law degree does not mean a lawyer. In Germany, you have to work at a law firm or some equivalent legal institution for 2 years before you're allowed to take the exam to be qualified to practice law.

Hmm, yeah, I forget what his post-ed experience was. I only mentioned it because he had asked me in another thread.

That is super lame, though. I thought the 4 month wait for bar results here in California was bad!

Anyone have any recommendations for a good China book? Doesn't have to be anything in particular, I just miss reading about the country .

Factory Girls (skip all th chapters where she talks about her family history to save time)
Chinese Whispers
Poorly Made in China (the book about my life here that was written by someone else first)

numble

Let's say I earn my salary in China. Is there an easy way to transfer my money to my German bank account?

I haven't tried it yet (I move to Beijing soon), but I think it will be easiest if you have accounts at global bank like HSBC and you link up your China + overseas account:
https://www.hsbc.com.cn/1/PA_ES_Con.../documents/HSBC_China_Global_Transfer_Eng.pdf

Doing something like that will allow you to do it just from the bank's website.

I think Citibank does something similar.

Theoretically all banks should allow you to do it, it just may be more paperwork and you need to show up to the bank and probably spend a lot of time. The fees might be higher (or lower).

If you transfer out more than $500 US, they may ask you for paperwork (wage slips, etc.) proving the source of income and that taxes have been already paid.

There are also probably some gray market ways to do it, for example, PayPal:
http://tutorialgeek.blogspot.hk/2012/11/the-easiest-way-to-transfer-money-from.html

Looks like the PayPal method would charge you 3.9% of the total transfer though.

Chichikov

It's that easy? Even better ! Thanks :)
No, it's actually quite difficult, you need quite a bit of paperwork, most of it in Chinese.
Most people set a chinese paypal account and transfer money to their American paypal account, though you get hit by rather steep fees.
Another option is cache, whenever I go to the US for work (which is reasonably often) I carry 10k USD with me (the most that you can bring into the US without any paperwork) like a fucking drug dealer.
I know one person who uses bitcoin, but really, fuck bitcoin.

And a free advice, don't be an idiot like me and go "durr durr HSBC is evil, it laundered money to drug dealers, I'm opening an account in a Chinese bank". It is not worth it, they don't speak English in their branches and they can be a pain in the ass to deal with.

Big-E

My employer says there is a way for people to do it online through the bank of China. The way that always works with the lest hassle for the past couple of years is to have a Chinese person set up an account and put your money into their account and they can send it overseas with no real issues. Chinese nationals have a limit of 50,000 USD a year they can send abroad.

I also remember hearing that if you go to Hong Kong, you can withdraw all your money from a Chinese bank account and send your money from there.

I have lived here awhile and I am still committed to staying a while longer so I haven't really had to do it in a while. When I go back home for short stays, I just use my Chinese bank card everywhere as my home is like the one place in the world where Chinese Union Pay is useful.

Well, I, personally, paid nothing. If that makes you feel better. Friends in high places, my man.

BTW, you had asked me about using your German law degree. What is your specialization? Have you thought of getting clients over the Internet? Unless there's some kind of residency requirement, why can't you?

I finished the first exam, which means I can work in law offices, help with the paperwork, prepare cases, draft contracts etc.
If I wanna be a lawyer I have to study 2 more years in some kind of work-study enviroment (which means studying everything again which I dont really wanna do anymore, since me and my gf will settle down soon ;))

Let's say I earn my salary in China. Is there an easy way to transfer my money to my German bank account?

You can transfer it, but then you have to pay the 200-300RMB for each transfer each time you do it.

Blablurn

I finished the first exam, which means I can work in law offices, help with the paperwork, prepare cases, draft contracts etc.
If I wanna be a lawyer I have to study 2 more years in some kind of work-study enviroment (which means studying everything again which I dont really wanna do anymore, since me and my gf will settle down soon ;))

You can transfer it, but then you have to pay the 200-300RMB for each transfer each time you do it.

Is there a limit on how much I can transfer?

numble

Is there a limit on how much I can transfer?

I think there is no limit for foreigners. But my understanding is if it is more than $500, they need to have evidence of where the income came from and evidence that you have paid all your taxes on that income.

pubba

Hi China GAF

I've been in China since late 2012. Yinchuan, Nanjing, Wuxi and now here in Suzhou. Shanghai is only about 35 minutes away by high speed train, so count me in if there's a Shanghai meetup.

Shanghai has some really cool bars. There are a few speakeasy type places that are hidden away behind fake bookcases, coke machines etc. Plus there are some great bar streets - perfect for a pub crawl. Last weekend I went to a cheesy haunted/zombie outbreak hospital that cost 100 rmb. There's also go-karting etc if that's more popular with you youngsters.

Regarding sending money out of China: I simply opened a bank account with ICBC and then sent the ATM card to my wife in Thailand. Then I deposit money into the account at the ATM each month (card not required) and she withdraws the money and pays a small fee - about 20 RMB. We've been doing this since I first moved here, and I did the same thing again last year and send an ATM card to my sister in Australia.

I use Astrill VPN and it's been great so far. If anyone wants a week free trial send me a private message and I'll hook you up.

I'm currenty working for a British international school (despite being Australian) and will be here for another couple of years. The salary is generous (better than my fulltime job at the tax office in Australia) and I finish work at midday 3 days a week.

My daughter just turned 2 and I'm bringing her and my wife here next month. Any other people with family here?The pollution worries me, but we will have air purifiers installed in our house and Suzhou isn't as bad as the big cities like Beijing and Shanghai.

Chinese food is fantastic. Love the dumplings and breakfast pancakes (3 eggs, pork floss, spicy with extra shallots), stewed pork belly, hot pot.. Argh now I'm hungry.

Edit: if anyone wants to start a wechat group, send me a pm

Big-E

On the subject of air purifiers, what are people using? I have been using the DIY Smartair filters you can buy on taobao. I saw that Xiaomi is selling a filter for like 900 RMB with replacement filters for like 130 RMB.

numble

On the subject of air purifiers, what are people using? I have been using the DIY Smartair filters you can buy on taobao. I saw that Xiaomi is selling a filter for like 900 RMB with replacement filters for like 130 RMB.
I've heard that the Xiaomi ones are very loud.

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com is a site run by a doctor in Beijing, he also does air purifier reviews. I will probably spend some time reading his reviews and decide. Apparently the Xiaomi holds up very well against the top of the line Swedish air purifier that is like $500 in the US and $1000 in China:

http://www.myhealthbeijing.com/chin...air-purifiers-under-1000-rmb-my-test-results/

Hello there. I currently live in Shenzhen, lemme tell you how I do it.

I had one of my bank accounts setup to be used for online use. Yes, you will need to do that. Then I setup a Taobao account, and an Alipay account, tied the two accounts together, and linked it to my bank account. Then I created a Chinese Paypal account. When I send money to my American Paypal account through the Chinese Paypal account, the Chinese Paypal then accesses my Alipay account to withdraw the money. The fee for this is roughly 4.7% of what I'm sending. So if I send 100 USD, I get 95.30 in my American account.

It is a hassle to setup, get someone local to help walk you thought it. Thank them by treating them to a good meal afterwards.

Wow, so there are a couple of Shenzhen Gaffers huh? We should do a meet up one day.

Looks that way. I live by the south entrance of Shenzhen University, close-ish to Houhai. If any of you are into board games, there are two wechat groups. Nanshan boardgame guild has mostly folks in the Houhai to Windows of the World area. Then there is also another wechat group, A Board Game Club, which has one part of its group in Shekou, and another part by Futian.

Let's be friends...?

I may be based in Shanghai later this year, as well. So... :)

Sure, as a heads up download WeChat / Weixin to stay in contact. Also we should create a WeChat Group : CHINA-GAF

Some pictures of what I do on my free time :

Shanghai Nighthawks
iYPj8GO.jpg

Nanjing Road

CNY

Baseman exhibit at K11

WoodWERD

I bought 2 SmartAirs a few weeks ago, one for the living room and one for the bedroom. I don't notice a huge difference, but the filters are already pretty dark. I want to buy some pantyhose or something to put over the fans and prolong the filter life a bit, but I don't know if it'll make much of a difference.

Corgi

Banned
Sure, as a heads up download WeChat / Weixin to stay in contact. Also we should create a WeChat Group : CHINA-GAF

Some pictures of what I do on my free time :

Shanghai Nighthawks
Nanjing Road
CNY
Baseman exhibit at K11

hmmm is the shanghai tower open for business yet?

Big-E

I bought 2 SmartAirs a few weeks ago, one for the living room and one for the bedroom. I don't notice a huge difference, but the filters are already pretty dark. I want to buy some pantyhose or something to put over the fans and prolong the filter life a bit, but I don't know if it'll make much of a difference.

If you buy the big 400 RMB one, the filter comes with an attachment that is suppose to filter out the bigger particles. If its changing color it is working. The air pollution in China is so small that you don't really notice it. I never notice any breathing difficulties outside, even when the numbers are off the charts. Getting rid of that shit is the safest thing.

Lemaitre

Banned
i stop by shenzhen all the time when we travel to hongkong
to luohu of course.. :)

Shenzhen sounds great from what I just read about it in Oracle Bones. The way Hessler described the city and its short history was rather remarkable. Need to visit when I go to HK.

The Lamp

I'm going in May for 5 weeks for a study abroad. Beijing, Xi'an and Tianjin!

Not really sure what to expect...kinda worried about the pollution.

Qvoth

Shenzhen sounds great from what I just read about it in Oracle Bones. The way Hessler described the city and its short history was rather remarkable. Need to visit when I go to HK.

i've only been to luohu in shenzhen lol, can't really give any comments on the city

DrSlek

Okay guys, question time!

I work in IT at a highschool. We have a lot of international students from China. The problem is that when we give these students their laptops, they instantly install a Chinese>English translation suite. Some software that shows the Chinese translation of a word when they mouse over it. The problem being that the software they install comes bundled with a shitload of malware and adware which floods our network is malicious traffic.

My question to all of you, is there some similar software we can provide for them which will perform the same function, but doesn't include all of the other malicious crapware?

I work in IT at a highschool. We have a lot of international students from China. The problem is that when we give these students their laptops, they instantly install a Chinese>English translation suite. Some software that shows the Chinese translation of a word when they mouse over it. The problem being that the software they install comes bundled with a shitload of malware and adware which floods our network is malicious traffic.

My question to all of you, is there some similar software we can provide for them which will perform the same function, but doesn't include all of the other malicious crapware?

Doesnt Google/Bing have such services?

And yeah. I know what you mean. The chinese programs for everything suck. Its like every chinese computer has some strange firewall, that checks everything at once, takes up a lot of RAM and has a lot of mal- and adware and they feel like these are java- or flash-programs.

Why dont you tell them to not install Chinese programs beside QQ and some other necessary programs onto the laptops? I am sure there are other western programs that do a similar thing.

DrSlek

Doesnt Google/Bing have such services?

And yeah. I know what you mean. The chinese programs for everything suck. Its like every chinese computer has some strange firewall, that checks everything at once, takes up a lot of RAM and has a lot of mal- and adware and they feel like these are java- or flash-programs.

Why dont you tell them to not install Chinese programs beside QQ and some other necessary programs onto the laptops? I am sure there are other western programs that do a similar thing.

it's getting to the stage where we may just have to stop them from installing this crap with app-locker. Every time we clean up one of their laptops, we tell them not to install these programs again because they were the things causing issues for them. Next week they're back in the office with the same programs installed and the same problems.

it's getting to the stage where we may just have to stop them from installing this crap with app-locker. Every time we clean up one of their laptops, we tell them not to install these programs again because they were the things causing issues for them. Next week they're back in the office with the same programs installed and the same problems.

The problem is they dont know any other. I assume it already has a firewall and some anti-virus software on it, right?

DrSlek

The problem is they dont know any other. I assume it already has a firewall and some anti-virus software on it, right?

Yeah we have system centre endpoint protection on all school machines, and use a checkpoint firewall system. System centre seems to not stop the installations of the adware in these situations as the user has specifically given permission for the program to be installed (by not actually reading what they're installing and just hitting Next). Checkpoint stops most of the malicious traffic, but some stuff still gets through. A few weeks back we were required to enter a captcha to perform google searches because one Chinese students laptop was sending thousands of packets per second to Google.

If we can offer a solid alternative to these programs that we can trust, I think we can solve this issue or at least mitigate it somewhat.

Yeah we have system centre endpoint protection on all school machines, and use a checkpoint firewall system. System centre seems to not stop the installations of the adware in these situations as the user has specifically given permission for the program to be installed (by not actually reading what they're installing and just hitting Next). Checkpoint stops most of the malicious traffic, but some stuff still gets through. A few weeks back we were required to enter a captcha to perform google searches because one Chinese students laptop was sending thousands of packets per second to Google.

If we can offer a solid alternative to these programs that we can trust, I think we can solve this issue or at least mitigate it somewhat.

The programs they are (I guess) using are just virusscanners and firewall. A lot of people use this programm called 360-something. It does everything, like shows you how fast your PC started up, protects you from viruses and has a built in firewall and shows you when some software can be updated.
It is also full of shitty Malware and takes up a lot of resources.

Another thing they often use is Thunder. An easy to use BT-client. It also feels like it is a java or flash software and installs some malware/adware on the PC.

Afaik QQ also does, but that should be fixable if they perform a scan with Malwarebytes and deleting the files.

partridge

Here's the official desktop translator from Microsoft:
http://bing.msn.cn/dict/desktop/

I haven't used it personally, but I'd assume that since it's an official product from Microsoft, it has way less spamware than the other software suites.

DrSlek

The programs they are (I guess) using are just virusscanners and firewall. A lot of people use this programm called 360-something. It does everything, like shows you how fast your PC started up, protects you from viruses and has a built in firewall and shows you when some software can be updated.
It is also full of shitty Malware and takes up a lot of resources.

Another thing they often use is Thunder. An easy to use BT-client. It also feels like it is a java or flash software and installs some malware/adware on the PC.

Afaik QQ also does, but that should be fixable if they perform a scan with Malwarebytes and deleting the files.

Here's the official desktop translator from Microsoft:
http://bing.msn.cn/dict/desktop/

I haven't used it personally, but I'd assume that since it's an official product from Microsoft, it has way less spamware than the other software suites.

Thanks for the info, guys. This has been a great help.

Big-E

The computers in my school all have it set up so everything wipes on restart. So far it has worked as nothing Chinese has gotten on them in over 3 years. You got to put some code in to some program in the system tray that lets you keep your changes.

Lemaitre

Banned
I don't know if you've studied the language any, but I'd guess so if your Study Abroad trip is to China, and the #1 recommendation that I can make to anyone traveling to the country is to learn as much Chinese as you can before and during your trip. Your experience will be immeasurably improved by being able to communicate with the people there, in their own language, hearing their own stories. So few foreigners take the time to do it that it seems to always be surprising to them, and greatly appreciated - in my travels, nearly everyone I met was friendly and magnanimous, contrary to any misguided & xenophobic reputations for rudeness.

I've just started to study the language intensively. But when I did go with even more limited knowledge, just ordering my own food would get extensive smiles and appreciation. They really do love them some foreigners, especially ones that can speak any Chinese. Even if it's bad Chinese, in my experience, they are highly appreciative of the effort.

Chichikov

I've just started to study the language intensively. But when I did go with even more limited knowledge, just ordering my own food would get extensive smiles and appreciation. They really do love them some foreigners, especially ones that can speak any Chinese. Even if it's bad Chinese, in my experience, they are highly appreciative of the effort.
Knowing the language helps a lot, but I came with zero Chinese skills and was fine.
It's 2015, you have a smartphone, you don't even need a translation app, just google bing image search what you're looking for/need and show it to people. I mean sure, if you want to discuss abstract concept like the dualism of human nature, it might be a tad hard to find an image that convey that, but really now, how often do you really need that when you're traveling?

And just so we're clear, I totally agree that anyone that can should try to learn some Chinese before traveling China, and again, it will no doubt help make trip more enjoyable, I just don't want people to think that you must know the language, it should absolutely not be a barrier.

p.s.
On the other hand, you sometime meet people who lived here for years and can't speak a word of Chinese, WhatsWrongWithYou.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom