• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All W8 apps running on Xbox One says Dell

PG2G

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/27/4470658/xbox-one-windows-8-apps-build-2013

2013-06-26_22-58-46-1020_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

I took that as more of a "the APIs and runtime are similar" than meaning the store actually be available.

Kinect would be a suitable replacement for touch tho I guess, so the UI should be ok

Bailers

All five of them? Awesome.

Haha, beaten. That was the first thing I thought too.

But seriously, I suppose this is a good thing, but how many people will hook up a keyboard and mouse to use the most useful apps there? And isn't that contrary to MS push to mobile and tablets?

Cynn

Run office, email, web and dat cable tv all from one box. Moms would love it. Dads would love it. Especially since the kids would be in the other room out of their hair playing PS4.

I kid, I kid!

PG2G

Haha, beaten. That was the first thing I thought too.

But seriously, I suppose this is a good thing, but how many people will hook up a keyboard and mouse to use the most useful apps there? And isn't that contrary to MS push to mobile and tablets?

Windows Store apps are supposed to be touch compatible, so you wouldn't need a mouse/keyboard.

Mister D

This would have been great news for me if the Xbone came out a year ago. I would have snatched up two of them since I would have a gaming machine as well as a pretty powerful HTPC using the Plex app. Too bad I've already built two gaming HTPCs that are synced through a MySQL database with XBMC.

Milchjon

Can someone give an example of how this would be useful. I'm struggling to think.

More freedom? Having your Facebook, PowerPoint or SkyDrive apps available on the big screen would be nice.

The biggest difference would be for devs, though. Developing only one app with some adjustments across three screens would help the ecosystem of Windows 8, Windows Phone and Xbone immensely.

I guess this might get some more people interested in the Windows ecosystem?

Won't make too much of a difference when the Windows userbase dwarfs the Xbone userbase.

Does it run MS office, Adobe Acrobat etc. Or I need some special apps like Windows RT ?

I will buy Xbone, if it has a open Windows8 and let me play steam games.

Pretty sure it would be RT. Would make little sense to use the Xbone as a full PC with all the problems that come with it, like controls, stability, viruses etc.

The RT apps could probably work relatively well if you control them via Smartglass.

All five of them? Awesome.

Wait, Windows 8? Shit, nevermind. I was thinking Windows Phone 8 apps.

Windows Phone has a far superior app selection compared to Windows 8.

mitchman

Gold Member
Yeah, this?

If Chrome is running on the One, I will laugh.

I imagine it's still only certain designated apps.

Only App Store apps. Chrome is not in that category and the only reason it can run in metro is that MS specifically allows desktop browsers to run on metro due to anti-trust issues.

Windows Store apps are supposed to be touch compatible, so you wouldn't need a mouse/keyboard.

I wonder...

How accurate is the kinect hand motion sensor...Say you have a hand/pointer on the screen..can you move your hand and will it track your hand that you could use just it as a pointer?

Iacobellis

More freedom? Having your Facebook, PowerPoint or SkyDrive apps available on the big screen would be nice.

The biggest difference would be for devs, though. Developing only one app with some adjustments across three screens would help the ecosystem of Windows 8, Windows Phone and Xbone immensely.

Won't make too much of a difference when the Windows userbase dwarfs the Xbone userbase.

Pretty sure it would be RT. Would make little sense to use the Xbone as a full PC with all the problems that come with it, like controls, stability, viruses etc.

The RT apps could probably work relatively well if you control them via Smartglass.

Windows Phone has a far superior app selection compared to Windows 8.

It is still missing YouTube and Instagram.

Akai__

Is this the case with Halo: Spartan Assault, too? I mean, technically it's an app, isn't it?

I couldn't play it yet, because I don't want to install Windows 8 and I don't own a Windows Phone.

I took that as more of a "the APIs and runtime are similar" than meaning the store actually be available.

Kinect would be a suitable replacement for touch tho I guess, so the UI should be ok

Well the quote on Dell doesn't say the whole store is coming its just that Xbox has the ability to support Windows 8 apps. If the developer thinks people would find use with the app they could easily port it over but I wouldn't expect to see something like Office on Xbox One.

pelican

As a Nokia 925 owner this means nothing.

The app store is bare compared to the offering on my android tablet. I'm struggling to think what app I would even put on the xbox.

Milchjon

It is still missing YouTube and Instagram.

So is Windows 8.

Windows Phone has 6tag, which is superior in both design and functionality compared to the official iOS and Android Instagram apps. It's amazingly well made.

As for Youtube, that's because Google is being a bitch about it. As with most things, there are great 3rd party alternatives out there.

(Neither concerns the Xbone, of course).

SPDIF

If this was true, does it make any sense that Microsoft would have completely neglected to mention it for months? Does it make sense that it would be announced as an offhand comment in a Dell product description?

But they have dropped numerous hints over the past few months though. They've done everything but confirm it. I tried to find the official video, but this YouTube video from Build 2013 will have to do for now. I doubt you'll have access to the entire Windows 8 store on the XB1; most likely it'll be a seperate store that developers can also target, but the APIs will be very similar, making the process of porting apps across a lot simpler.

Like I said, it's all but confirmed at this point that there's going to be a lot of cross over between the platforms.

bob page

A lot of people seem to be confusing what this says.

Consider the game officially changed. With all
your favorite Windows 8 apps able to be run on
and synced to your Xbox One, now your phone,
desktop, tablet and TV can all give you a unified
web and entertainment experience.

Windows 8 apps, not Windows Phone apps.

Enectic

Banned

Why would it be RT? RT was developed to run on ARM based processors? It doesn't make sense that they would rewrite the entire RT OS to run on a x86 platform (kind of defeats the purpose of having both an ARM and x86 version) when they already have a x86 Windows 8 that'll run just fine on the Xbox One (since the processor is x86).

PG2G

As for Youtube, that's because Google is being a bitch about it. As with most things, there are great 3rd party alternatives out there.

(Neither concerns the Xbone, of course).

Compatibility of Windows 8/Xbox One apps would probably be more of a plus for Windows 8 than Xbox One. Maybe even solving the YouTube issue (since Xbox apps already exist)

PG2G

Why would it be RT? RT was developed to run on ARM based processors? It doesn't make sense that they would rewrite the entire RT OS to run on x86 platform when they already have a x86 Windows 8 that'll run just fine on the Xbox One (since the processor is x86).

It won't be RT, but it will probably have the limitations of RT. Meaning it'll only run Windows Store apps.

Milchjon

It would give Microsoft a new revenue stream for their shitty, underused store, and get it in the centre of the living room before Apple can do the same.
That's the whole point of Windows 8 and Xbone, nothing else matters.

GAF, always seeing the full positive potential of everything.

I love, love, love using SkyDrive on the 360. Using a wide variety of photo, video, music, streaming, presentation, social media etc. apps on a TV seems like a good deal to me.

But they have dropped numerous hints over the past few months though. They've done everything but confirm it. I tried to find the official video, but this YouTube video from Build 2013 will have to do for now. I doubt you'll have access to the entire Windows 8 store on the XB1; most likely it'll be a seperate store that developers can also target, but the APIs will be very similar, making the process of porting apps across a lot simpler.

Like I said, it's all but confirmed at this point that there's going to be a lot of cross over between the platforms.

Yeah, MS would have to be on crazy pills to miss an opportunity to beef up all their platform ecosystems like this.

Top Bottom