• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All W8 apps running on Xbox One says Dell

Dougald

Windows 8 has apps? That people use?

I thought everyone who has been forced to use that OS immediately installed start8 and disabled metro completely

Gestault

If accurate, hell yes:

Khan Academy | Free

Halo: Spartan Assault | $6.99

comiXology Comics | Free (in-app purchases)

Audible | Free

Music Maker Jam | Free

netBuff

GAF, always seeing the full positive potential of everything.

I love, love, love using SkyDrive on the 360. Using a wide variety of photo, video, music, streaming, presentation, social media etc. apps on a TV seems like a good deal to me.

As far as we know so far, the Xbone doesn't run Windows Store apps. Just the development environment is similar.

A bit strange that Dell would be the conduit of this news. Are we sure this wasn't someone over there misunderstanding the extent of integration MS will offer?

Enectic

Banned
It won't be RT, but it will probably have the limitations of RT. Meaning it'll only run Windows Store apps.

How's that a limitation of RT? Windows 8 x86 also has access to the Windows Store. Sure you definitely won't be able to just install any x86 app all willy nilly but being limited to the Windows Store is not a limitation imposed by RT.

EDIT: Never mind, I can see where you're coming from. I read a little too much into it.

aeolist

Banned
while this makes a whole lot of sense it's hard to believe microsoft has this up their sleeve and hasn't announced it yet to counter all of their bad press

Lynn616

GAF, always seeing the full positive potential of everything.

I love, love, love using SkyDrive on the 360. Using a wide variety of photo, video, music, streaming, presentation, social media etc. apps on a TV seems like a good deal to me.

Some really good Podcast apps on Windows 8 too.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Thought this was teased months ago, when everyone knew it was basically running windows 8....

I am also surprised that people are surprised by this statement. The fact that they are running a dedicated virtual partition with Windows 8 and are bundling Kinect as a keyboard/mouse-replacement with every console made the intent of expanding the Windows 8 ecosystem to consoles very obvious.

Milchjon

Why would it be RT? RT was developed to run on ARM based processors? It doesn't make sense that they would rewrite the entire RT OS to run on a x86 platform (kind of defeats the purpose of having both an ARM and x86 version) when they already have a x86 Windows 8 that'll run just fine on the Xbox One (since the processor is x86).

Well, yeah, technically. I'm using "RT" as shorthand for "no real desktop". Since I assume the Metro Office apps will appear somtimes in the relatively near future, there probably won't be any desktop at all.

And why would there be, it wouldn't make a lot of sense for a console.

bob page

VideoLAN is still coming, that's all that needs to be said.

Why would you want VLC on you XB1 when you can just run the media directly on the console (stream through the Homegroup, Plex, etc)? Running Plex server will autotranscode MKV over the network, as far as I've seen.

Whats Friends With Words under? Phone or 8?

Windows Phone. Most of the worthwhile apps are for Windows Phone. The only two free games for W8 that are popular are Where's My Water & Jetpack Joyride.

After a year, the Windows 8 store has been pretty stagnant & frustrating (until the past week, when Facebook finally release their app).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Dell is wrong. They will be easy to port and in the future, the Xbox One binary will be one of the automatically generated ones I bet, but atm, this is only misinformation.

SPDIF

As a Nokia 925 owner this means nothing.

The app store is bare compared to the offering on my android tablet. I'm struggling to think what app I would even put on the xbox.

VLC? When they eventually finish porting it over to WinRT that is. I doubt the XB1 will ship with .mkv support, so apps like VLC and others can fix that.

Why would it be RT? RT was developed to run on ARM based processors? It doesn't make sense that they would rewrite the entire RT OS to run on a x86 platform (kind of defeats the purpose of having both an ARM and x86 version) when they already have a x86 Windows 8 that'll run just fine on the Xbox One (since the processor is x86).

I think you're confused. Yes, Windows RT was developed to run on ARM processors, but the new platform architecture that Microsoft developed called WinRT runs on x86 and ARM.

If this was true, does it make any sense that Microsoft would have completely neglected to mention it for months? Does it make sense that it would be announced as an offhand comment in a Dell product description?

totally makes sense if they wanted some bombshell "one more thing..." for the launch news cycle.

or if they recently changed to put it in because of consumer demand.

netBuff

I thought we already knew this was happening?

They told devs at Build to get a headstart by building W8 apps now.

The "headstart" idea was about getting familiar with the development environment, not that the Xbone would run all Windows Store apps without any further process. I remain sceptical, seems to big a feature to hold back this far.

G17

This is probably Miracast.

This is most likely what it means by getting Windows 8 apps running and "synced" on the Xbox One. Microsoft had shown off miracast to the Xbox One in one of their conferences as well.

So it could be just mirroring your windows 8 devices that can do miracast on your Xbox One.

WalkMan

Banned
There's the remote desktop app that's supposedly coming... So you can potentially RD into your computer from your xbox one.

PG2G

Why would you want VLC on you XB1 when you can just run the media directly on the console (or stream through the Homegroup, Plex, etc)?

Windows Phone. Most of the worthwhile apps are for Windows Phone.

After a year, the Windows 8 store has been pretty stagnant & frustrating (until the past week, when Facebook finally release their app).

I doubt the Xbox One will have the codec and container support that some of us want (mkv for example). Haven't looked into Plex so not sure how that works.

bob page

I doubt the Xbox One will have the codec and container support that some of us want (mkv for example). Haven't looked into Plex so not sure how that works.

Plex server automatically transcodes MKV. All you have to do is run the server on your PC and it will automatically show up throughout your network (on your PS3, 360, etc).

But yeah, I doubt the nextgen consoles will natively support MKV.

netBuff

Laughing at all the "who cares?" posts. It's a great feature to have, lots of useful apps on the store.

It would be a nice (although not killer) feature, but the way we are learning about this now makes me skeptical of this actually being a part of the Xbone's featureset (or being anything other than Miracast mirroring).

bob page

So what does this mean for indie games? Is Windows 8 well stocked in that regard?

I just took this screenshot- I'll let it speak for itself:

kyz5gYX.jpg

Gestault

The "headstart" idea was about getting familiar with the development environment, not that the Xbone would run all Windows Store apps without any further process. I remain sceptical, seems to big a feature to hold back this far.

I think people's criticism of announced features that were still being tested before launch might explain their limited marketing of it, even assuming it could be ready in time for launch. The early call for more of a game focus would apply too. I mean, there are some fun games, but there's not a lot of visibility for them, so statements about "app support" would probably get some guff.

mitchman

Gold Member
Plex server automatically transcodes MKV. All you have to do is run the server on your PC and it will automatically show up throughout your network (on your PS3, 360, etc).

But yeah, I doubt the nextgen consoles will natively support MKV.

MKV is just a container, so it should just change the container to something like mp4 and leave the media as-is to make it play on xbox one. Plex app would be a big win for the xbone though.

mitchman

Gold Member
That's what I'm wondering.

The same way you use the keyboard to navigate around in them. MS has abstracted away much of the input differences so the controller will be much like a keyboard navigation input method for all practical purposes, just like on Win 8.

Qassim

This is what I wanted. If there is an open app store for regular general purpose apps, this will be brilliant.

I want people to be able to make good software that I use on my TV, Apple, despite moving AppleTV to iOS quite a long time ago, still have yet to do that.

FranXico

You don't. Apps will likely have to add controller and/or kinect support before they're allowed on the XB1 store.

Actually, I thought Kinect could emulate mouse/touch support through the shared interface?

Controller support does need to be implemented separately, though.

As a Nokia 925 owner this means nothing.

The app store is bare compared to the offering on my android tablet. I'm struggling to think what app I would even put on the xbox.
Surely with more W8 platforms and a larger ecosystem you'll start to see more apps, which would benefit you as a Nokia 925 owner.
Gemüsepizza;86755486 said:
Seems like a big target for hackers.
Like any major platform?

Top Bottom