• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright GAF, time to give me a push: Horizon Zero Dawn or Nier Automata?

Luminaire

Nier.

Support it!

Horizon will sell well enough and have a good push. Nier needs more love. COUNTER THE BOMBA.

How is this even a question?

Horizon's scores are out and it seems to be an amazing game- Nier's scores aren't out yet but considering Platinum has a 20% success ratio and can't even deliver on their deadlines as seen from Scalebound, I think it is safe to assume that Nier has a very low chance of being good- now I am not even a fan of Horizon's aesthetic but Platinum is a trash tier developer propped up by fan hype, and hey I like Metal Gear Rising as well but we have to be rational here, one is a game of which the general consensus is positive, the other is made by a developer that performed so badly that Microsoft had to cancel their game, a game that Microsoft banked on quite a bit to get made.

Get outta here with that!
868.gif

Gotta go with Nier. Can't help but prefer the game that's far less likely to "play it safe" in terms of storytelling, which includes multiple endings and genre-shifts. Plus the combat and music is just heavenly...

EDIT: Also high-key, Platinum needs the cash after the whole Scalebound thing.

This is my answer as well

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Horizon's scores are out and it seems to be an amazing game- Nier's scores aren't out yet but considering Platinum has a 20% success ratio and can't even deliver on their deadlines as seen from Scalebound, I think it is safe to assume that Nier has a very low chance of being good- now I am not even a fan of Horizon's aesthetic but Platinum is a trash tier developer propped up by fan hype, and hey I like Metal Gear Rising as well but we have to be rational here, one is a game of which the general consensus is positive, the other is made by a developer that performed so badly that Microsoft had to cancel their game, a game that Microsoft banked on quite a bit to get made.

wNzdANg.gif

One is a great action game with a strong, tastefully designed female protagonist and has deep combat and gameplay. The other is Nier. The choice is easy.

Kindekuma

Banned
One is a great action game with a strong, tastefully designed female protagonist and has deep combat and gameplay. The other is Nier. The choice is easy.

You're right! Nier is a great action game with a strong, tastefully designed robot female protagonist and has deep combat and gameplay.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Nier will blow your mind. Horizon will be a good game, but lets be real, it is quite safe when compared to Nier genre changing gameplay

It's amazing that Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier Automata, and Zelda:BOTW are all looking to be amazing, yet are coming out within a couple weeks so each other. I think Square and Sony are both making poor decisions with their respective games coming out within a short time frame of Zelda. Even though some on this board will argue that these three games are very different, they are all clearly in the same genre and will be competing against each other for attention. As someone excited for all three of these games, I wish these publishers had planned this out better and set their release dates in different months. Zelda is going to get the most attention, and the others are going to fall by the wayside. This is unfortunate, because Nier is going to suffer the most in the sales department from this.

Sony and Square announced their dates long before Nintendo, do you want them to reshuffle them just because Zelda is coming out close to them? lol

Nier is out in few hours in Japan btw.

They both look to be amazing games. I think it comes down to personal taste. I'm opting to Nier mainly because I love the aesthetic and setting. Will be playing Horizon later this year (I feel like there's going to be a huge gap after P5).

Floody

Neir's gonna sell like 14 copies, so it'll need your help more.

Personally getting Horizon, I'll get to Neir at some point.

Cornbread78

Ys Origin needs some love as well, since that released today/tomorrow.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1344587

what shameless misplaced plug?

I need to win Powerball this week so I can quit both jobs, build a gaming room and play/stream games all day to solve this issue.

Neir is definitely getting the love up in here.

If it is launching in Japan tonight, I hope there is an impressions thread to scroll through.

Elios83

I'd suggest to play both in due time, personally speaking I'm not being able to keep up atm.
Since the beginning of the year I've finished GR2 and RE7. Right now I'm playing Nioh (I'd say that I'm 65% through it). Then I'll play Horizon, Yakuza 0, Nier and Persona 5....

Ubernube

Ys Origin needs some love as well, since that released today/tomorrow.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1344587

what shameless misplaced plug?

I need to win Powerball this week so I can quit both jobs, build a gaming room and play/stream games all day to solve this issue.

Neir is definitely getting the love up in here.

If it is launching in Japan tonight, I hope there is an impressions thread to scroll through.

By the way, I'm warning you, if you're looking for info, do not go into the trophy list thread or go looking up the trophies that have been leaked for this game. Massive spoilers everywhere.

Permanently A

Platinum's "20% success ratio" is a bad way to look at it. You can't lump in the bargain bin made on a budget of ramen and dreams Legend of Korra game with a game like Bayonetta 2 or Metal Gear Rising. Given that NieR is a fairly high profile game with the backing of a major publisher behind it (same scenario has MGR and Bayo 2) I am quite confident it will be a good game.

Your last statement is quite confident. Can you provide sources on Platinum's bad performance being the reason for Scalebound's cancellation?

Cornbread78

Come stop by the OT once it's up, should be a spoiler-free space to get all the impressions in one spot.

Will do once I see it.

I'd suggest to play both in due time, personally speaking I'm not being able to keep up atm.
Since the beginning of the year I've finished GR2 and RE7. Right now I'm playing Nioh (I'd say that I'm 65% through it). Then I'll play Horizon, Yakuza 0, Nier and Persona 5....

I hear ya. I'm only about 40-50% through Tales of Berseria right now!

By the way, I'm warning you, if you're looking for info, do not go into the trophy list thread or go looking up the trophies that have been leaked for this game. Massive spoilers everywhere.

Yeah, I learned my lesson with that a long, long time ago, lol.

There are so many reasons to support both games. Female protagonists, new/underused IP, unique settings, etc. I think though from a strictly "my money is a statement" perspective Nier is more deserving.

I will unfortunately be unable to get either at launch but hope to buy both before the year is over.

Menitta

Horizon if you want what that game looks like.

Nier if you want to support a niche thing.

Fuck it, just get Yakuza 0. Even if you already have it.

You're right! Nier is a great action game with a strong, tastefully designed robot female protagonist and has deep combat and gameplay.

Hold square or triangle to perform consecutive attacks. Yep, real deep.

NieR's an ARPG that doesn't have as deep of a combo as a full fledged hack-n-slash. Stop trying to turn it into what it's not.

Gattsu25

Banned
Watch some streams. Read some reviews from trusted reviewers (read, not skim the scores).

Wait until ~2 or so weeks after both launch. Then get a feel for how the community likes the games.

That's usually enough time for the launch day luster to begin to wear.

Xe4

Banned
You're not going to get a nuanced response asking GAF about a Platinum game, lol.

If you're feeling in the mood for a beautiful open world RPG get Horizon.
If you want sick fucking action get Nier.

Both are good games I'm sure, so it really depends on what you want to play at the moment.

Illucio

Banned
I'd wait out on Nier for reviews, it looks sort of good but I don't trust japanese review sites to properly cover it.

FiraB

Banned
Question OP

Do you have a gaming PC? if so then get horizon and wait for Nier Automata PC version. By the time its out you'll have beaten horizon, P5 and parts of your backlog.

Top Bottom