• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright GAF, time to give me a push: Horizon Zero Dawn or Nier Automata?

Intel_89

Nier, Horizon will sell buck loads and some people will surely want to sell it once they're done with it, the niche need your help to push Nier a bit.

Nier's demo was really good, it will be a fun game for sure. Horizon looks great and is reviewing insanely well. It's a hard choice, personally I'm getting both, along with a Switch and Zelda, but I honestly have no idea when I will be able to play through them all. I'm not even done with Nioh yet, and I still have Berseria and Yakuza 0 to play, and Gravity Rush 2 to finish.

george_us

I got both since I had some leftover Amazon Gift Card money but, if I had to choose one, it'd be Nier Automata by a land slide. Platinum Combat + Taro weirdness = almost surefire gold.

Ennosuke

I feel like all those amazing games are too much to handle.

Horizon - I love great graphics and want to support new IPs, going to buy the limited edition.

Zelda - My hype went down, because of Horizon. But still I want that Switch. Always loved Zelda.

Nier - The artstyle looks amazing and it plays amazing, because PG made this game. But let's be honest here, the price will drop quickly and when should I play this? No time :(

Mass Effect - Pre-ordered pc version for 35 Euro, so definitely a good price.

Persona 5 - P4G was my GOAT, what else should I say?

Driving me nuts, I want them all, but playing ans finishing them all will take me until Summer. If I would be rational I should only buy one of them and finish it, then buy another one.

To answer OPs question, buy Horizon.

Cornbread78

I feel like all those amazing games are too much to handle.

Horizon - I love great graphics and want to support new IPs, going to buy the limited edition.

Zelda - My hype went down, because of Horizon. But still I want that Switch. Always loved Zelda.

Nier - The artstyle looks amazing and it plays amazing, because PG made this game. But let's be honest here, the price will drop quickly and when should I play this? No time :(

Mass Effect - Pre-ordered pc version for 35 Euro, so definitely a good price.

Persona 5 - P4G was my GOAT, what else should I say?

Driving me nuts, I want them all, but playing ans finishing them all will take me until Summer. If I would be rational I should only buy one of them and finish it, then buy another one.

To answer OPs question, buy Horizon.

Too many damn game thus year to play them all...

Neir, Horizon, Mass Effect, Persona, Final Fantasy XII, Ni No Kuni 2, Ys VIII, Dragon Quest XI, Tokyo Xanadu, Utawarerumono, Cosmic Star Heroine .... Too many damn games.

Horizon looks to have better gameplay, graphics and surprise! Music. Also Robo mutha fuckin Dinos.

But what an embarrassment of riches for PS4 owners. Buy both and then buy Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0 and Nioh.

silva1991

Horizon always looked way more promising.

I'm a huge JRPG fan and more Platinum fan, but Nier got nothing on Horizon for me aside from melee combat.

Also the enemies in Nier don't only seem boring in design, but they seem repetitive as fuck if the trailers and the first Nier game are anything to go by

Horizon since Neir will be cheaper in the future

also this.

Horizon is mainstream game and won't be discounted anytime soon.

pezzie

If you're leaning towards Horizon, get Horizon. But if you're 50/50 at all, go with Nier. It needs your support more.

Fisty

Horizon doesnt need your preorder to succeed. Nier on the other hand...

Horizon is mainstream game and won't be discounted anytime soon.

Horizon is a first-party major release with a huge marketing budget and no multiplayer component. Gamestops will be absolutely stuffed with it within a week.

ethomaz

Banned
When you ask Horizon or NiER and got over 10 replaces saying Zelda lol

OP I probably get Horizon first and a I liked a lot NiER.

JBwB

Personally I'm getting Horizon first and waiting for the PC version of Nier.

But for someone in your position I'd get Nier first ONLY if it reviews incredibly well. Otherwise you can't go wrong with Horizon.

Horizon doesnt need your preorder to succeed. Nier on the other hand...

Horizon is a first-party major release with a huge marketing budget and no multiplayer component. Gamestops will be absolutely stuffed with it within a week.

For 5 dollars cheaper....may as well get it new and support developers hard work. People should support good work period, not just Nier because it won't sell as well.

Graphics yes but you got the rest twisted

How so? You played both? Horizon is getting rave reviews for it's combat.

The platinum fans here are aggressive.

I would go with Horizon. IMO it looks like the more complete package and the gameplay looks more interesting than what I played in the Nier demo. Nier will drop in price much sooner than Horizon.

Numb

For 5 dollars cheaper....may as well get it new and support developers hard work. People should support good work period, not just Nier because it won't sell as well.

How so? You played both? Horizon is getting rave reviews for it's combat.

The platinum fans here are aggressive.
Demo remember
Saw some Horizon and it ain't bad. Just not as good gameplay
Not denying platinum fans comment 😳

Horizon will be undoubtedly a much higher quality game

Nier is all about the style and weirdness, visually lacking in a lot of ways and will be full of jank at the game's expense. At the same time, Nier will give you plenty of things Horizon cannot by virtue of being a batshit insane Japanese character action RPG

I wouldn't be surprised if I end up having a lot more fun with Nier but I'm expecting a lot of garbage and filler bringing it down, whereas it seems like Horizon will be a very consistent experience (if you're down for that gameplay loop)

Having bad encounters recycled in the Nier demo is not promising, even if the combat is ultra rad

JJShadow

I was in your same situation OP, too many things to play and literally no time to play all of them (still playing Yakuza 0 and Nioh). I was thinking about getting Horizon and NieR day one, but there's no way I can beat both before Mass Effect, so I'll finally go for Horizon, I'm a sucker for new Sony's IPs and the reviews are glowing

NieR will be an amazing game as well, I'll pick it up as soon as I'm done with Horizon, ME and Persona 5 (by Holidays 2017 lol)

Moaradin

I obviously haven't played both yet (outside of the Nier demo), but Nier looks a lot more interesting to me. Horizon looks like another ubisoft style open world game that I have no interest in these days.

bebop242

I was skipping Horizon in favor of nier just to support square enix for taking the risk of making that game but with Horizon's high scores....I'm getting both.

I have more confidence in Nier given that I've played the demo and its fantastic, it felt like it was something special. Though I fully intend to play both and Zelda as well.

Oneself

If you prefer open world games and "new" kind of gameplay (I mean a mix of TR, AC, SoM etc) go with Horizon.

If you prefer old school and character action games, go with Nier.

In fact, try the Nier demo...

Shifty1897

I preordered Horizon this morning. The plan is get Nier too as long as it doesn't review poorly. Hate that both of these games are coming out so close to each other.

Nier looks great, but hands down Horizon Zero Dawn. This isn't even hard. The real question should be H:ZD or Zelda BotW. That's a doozy right there.

ask yourself this op, what would
Ushio
do?

but bad jokes aside, what do you feel like playing right now and a week from now? and if you still cant decide get Horizon

Top Bottom