• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alright GAF, time to give me a push: Horizon Zero Dawn or Nier Automata?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
And this

R0plU0T.png

tumblr_o15ktbqo2g1spb0xzo3_400.gif

All the joking bullshit aside Id put Horizon to the side for later. Mainly because already had the chance to play the Nier demo and Horizon would be going in blind for the most part. Also in general as mentioned before rarely do AAA Western titles have music that I personally give a shit about. But that may differ for you so that point does not really stand. lol

Both do look to be quality games though visually so do not blame you for being unsure on which to pick up seeing how you have a bit more of an neutral view in regards to both titles.

Im still generally concerned about "check the boxes" type of game design when it comes to titles that do "open world" so to speak. Regardless of how nice something may look. So in that regard while Ill be getting Horizon also, its been on thing that is on the back of my mind. With just how fresh will everything be with the gameplay flow. On top of the fact that outside of the robotic animals and whatnots, could care less about the setting or characters in Horizon. Being familiar with Yoko Taro's work am far more interested to see what Nier Automata has to offer this time around. Already know too that the combat and controls are solid as fuck from the demo also.

I'd say Nier personally. Horizon looks kinda boring, Nier seems like a fun playthrough. The gameplay and action in Nier looks way now interesting than Horizon. Game just looks kinda same-y to me.

Wow, this is more one-sided than I thought it would be for real.....

Please don't, I don't need another dust collector in my house. Only if my wife really, REALLY wants one...

I have too many games I haven't even played yet.

It's not surprising. NeoGAF has a very vocal NieR AND Platinum Games fanbase. It also had a demo that was really well-received. On the other hand, despite critical acclaim with Horizon, people are still wary of Guerrilla Games. I personally found the NieR demo pretty lackluster aside from the fluidity of the character movement, so my excitement for it was dampened.

DMONKUMA

Nier: Autómata as it's going to be the GOTY.

You can't beat the experience of a game with wacky Taro and shining Platinum.

Horizon is cool still tho.

Svejk

I was in the same predicament a month ago. I based it all on what predictions were, in terms of which one would drop in price quicker.

But in the end, I can't believe how much I enjoyed the demo for NieR, that that's what I decided to go with first.

I love JRPGS (action/turn-based)Final Fantasy/Tales of */Star Ocean and I really like games like Uncharted/CoD/Killzone and even Tomb Raider...
Persona 5 is a JRPG, and so is Nier. I can't predict how much time will be needed to complete Nier's main story, but I can guarantee you that P5 will easily consume hours and hours of your time. Like, we're talking well over 80 hours if you are a competionist and intend on experiencing as much of the game as possible. I can already see myself putting in over 100 hours.

Which brings me to the point, playing a Western open world game like Horizon now will give you a taste of that genre before you fully submerge yourself into a long, highly detailed JRPG. It'll also probably be easier to put down if you haven't completed the game by April 4, since Nier's story and environment will most likely (in my opinion) be more captivating and will surely make you want to uncover every path. Additionally, when you want to take a break from P5, Horizon will probably be more accessible to a "pick up and play" mentality than Nier.

Nier getting support at launch would be nice for Platinum though, and I'll personally be opting for Nier over Horizon. It ultimately comes down to which one is pulling you more.

nath999

This is what you do.

Buy Horizon Zero Dawn beat it in 2 days
Buy Zbotw beat it in 3 days
Buy Nier beat it in 14 days
Buy Mass Effect Andromeda beat it in 6 days
Buy Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 remix beat it the same day
Buy MLB the Show 17 beat it in 6 days
Buy Persona 5 beat it in 5 days
Buy Yooka-Laylee beat it in 14 days
Buy Dragon Quest Heroes II beat in 10 days
Buy Prey Beat it in 11 days
Buy Injustice 2 beat it in 15 days
Buy Tekken 7 etc
etc
etc,,

Time is completely stict if you do not get a title on release day then you won't be able to play it.

Smo21

I actually had to make this choice this morning because I couldn't afford both nier and horizon within the same week. Horizon will sell fine I think and I'll be able to get it later. Nier needs my money and I love the series

Mash83

Horizon fits my taste personally, it looks to be extremely polished. Nier looks cool too, I liked the demo. Much different feel, clearly Japanese developed with a more abstract premise.

Well, Horizon looks to have a much more beautiful world to explore.

On the other hand, I'm betting Nier will have much sweeter tunes while you explore.

Folks are lauding Horizon's combat.

I prefer swordplay myself.

What it comes down to for me: sounds like Horizon's story, although well conceived, is mostly delivered via audio logs and static cut scenes in between big stretches of generic (smooth and engaging and really pretty, but none-the-less) open world adventure game business. If Nier:A is anything like Nier than the gameplay is going to be built entirely around delivering a deep, fleshed out, character-heavy narrative. That's what I most want in games!

hao chi

Both look great, but I need Nier first. Plus, I'm not sure about Horizon, but Nier has a day one edition with some extras.

Cornbread78

This is what you do.

Buy Horizon Zero Dawn beat it in 2 days
Buy Zbotw beat it in 3 days
Buy Nier beat it in 14 days
Buy Mass Effect Andromeda beat it in 6 days
Buy Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 remix beat it the same day
Buy MLB the Show 17 beat it in 6 days
Buy Persona 5 beat it in 5 days
Buy Yooka-Laylee beat it in 14 days
Buy Dragon Quest Heroes II beat in 10 days
Buy Prey Beat it in 11 days
Buy Injustice 2 beat it in 15 days
Buy Tekken 7 etc
etc
etc,,

Time is completely stict if you do not get a title on release day then you won't be able to play it.

Lol, this might work if I got to play more than 10/hours a week, lol

I want to see where Horizon lands after the hype and marketing have died down. Meanwhile the original Nier surprised the hell out of me and became one of my top games of last generation. And by all indications with the demo, they've fixed one of the largest flaws with the original (i.e the combat gameplay).

Having said that, I have a Switch, a Zelda Master collection and a Nier Black Box coming in a span of like less than a week so Horizon's gonna have to wait.

Popsickles

Played the Nier demo I personally thought it was meh, but I had the same opinion of Bayonetta, Rising and Vanquish. I really don't get the love for platinum's games I find them shallow and repetitive . I think Horizon looks the much better game.

SarusGray

Horizon Zero beat first and because it won't get a price drop any time soon.

Nier second because it's a longer game and probably gonna get a price drop :(.

bubumiao

Horizon Zero Dawn for sure.

Nier's demo didn't excite me at all.

It's your money & time though so go for whichever one looks better to you.

Top Bottom