• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alternatives to reddit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah okay I understand now. You weren't saying that those posts are acceptable and didn't/shouldn't get banned, but that they didn't get banned because they didn't exist. That makes a lot more sense. Guess I got too tied up going in circles.

Honestly, they may actually exist, but although I've been in the gamergate thread pretty frequently there are over 30, 000 posts including those from the first thread.

This also reminds me of the other thing that happens with "controversial/unpopular opinion" complaints; spotty application of TOS arguments. People will go to bat for questionable things or complain about bans on the basis of them not being blatant violations of TOS and turn around and complain about other people's posts that are also not TOS violations.

aett

Let me start by saying that reddit definitely has some good parts. But one thing I hate there is that it seems like nearly everyone is okay with making fun of or just flat-out insulting the mentally handicapped. Not everyone is as bad as "they should have been aborted to begin with" (which I've seen on there), but it's still pretty bad.

Every so often there's a thread like "what are the worst subreddits?" I always mention /r/tardtales and, inevitably, I get downvoted to the negatives while people try to defend their behavior. Even if the people they're insulting will never see it, it's just such a disgusting and hateful name to call them and people shouldn't be swapping stories about their experiences dealing with people who can't help the way they are.

I still see people (even in this thread) who joke that reddit is full of posts using stuff like autism to try and get more upvotes, but I can assure you that it's not like that now. Unless I'm specifically on the subreddit for autism, anytime I mention that my son is autistic I get downvotes and on more than one occasion I had someone call my kid a retard. It's just... so hypocritical of reddit to try and act open-minded about everything but then turn around and act like that whenever they can get away with it.

This is the most ironic OP ever considering what forum it's being posted on. You think Reddit is a circle jerk...how long have you been here?

I'd bet around 50 users get banned for opinions every day on GAF. They don't break the terms of service or attack anyone, but a mod doesn't like their opinion, so they get banned. Look at any thread on gender. It's going to be 20 pages long and there will be 5 banned users on each page.

I've noticed that myself and have come very close to having it happen to me personally. It's very easy for a poster to be singled out at the slightest hint of having a dissenting opinion from the prevailing doctrine of agreement for that topic in question.

It's very easy to get surrounded by the in-crowd and baited into exposing yourself to a ban. The people who do the baiting, however, almost always seem to get away with in spite of clearly violating the ToS.

Let me start by saying that reddit definitely has some good parts. But one thing I hate there is that it seems like nearly everyone is okay with making fun of or just flat-out insulting the mentally handicapped. Not everyone is as bad as "they should have been aborted to begin with" (which I've seen on there), but it's still pretty bad.

Sounds like you haven't come across one of the famous reddit eugenics threads yet.

I'm was under the impression that most other forums viewed Gaf as a hive mind.
Not that I really thought much into it. It's just a site.

Gaf is great for news.

Reddit is great for chatting about said news.

Yeah i'm talking about strictly here though. It's very hypocritical to call other places hiveminds when if someone here calls GAF a hivemind, they'll probably get banned.

I hate that term anyway. I mean a given group of people will always have a general consensus on most things.

Nozem

I still see people (even in this thread) who joke that reddit is full of posts using stuff like autism to try and get more upvotes, but I can assure you that it's not like that now. Unless I'm specifically on the subreddit for autism, anytime I mention that my son is autistic I get downvotes and on more than one occasion I had someone call my kid a retard. It's just... so hypocritical of reddit to try and act open-minded about everything but then turn around and act like that whenever they can get away with it.
It's only hypocritical if "they" are the same people, which they're most likely not. Reddit has 174 million users.

Dawg

Ehhhhh /tv/ is a weird beast, that's why I didn't include it in the "main" list. Mostly use it to discuss current TV show episodes and laugh at stupid shit. I wouldn't go as far as saying it's filled with pedophiles and racists (not pedophiles at least), but stuff pops up every once in a while. The thing with 4chan is that if you read something that's really offensive or dumb you need to be able to just ignore it or hide the post in question. An unfiltered discussion board is a bit of a double edged sword, and it's certainly not for everyone, but I personally think it ads something that can't be found on other communities.

No, /tv/ certainly has its share of... questionable posters when it comes to the subject of pedophilia. I've noticed people try to make them stop, but they pop up every now and then. More than often, actually. Most posters hate it, but you can't deny they make threads about underage actresses and whatnot.

It's a shame, because I love the general humour of /tv/ without the racism and pedophilia. Actually, that's the reason I don't like telling people I visit /tv/. I've had some great Game of Thrones discussions there and I've managed to talk about some really underrated movies with likeminded people as well, but the thought of posting on the same board as some really awful people doesn't feel right to me.

you're a big guy

cakefoo

I like Reddit particularly because after I look at a submission I read the comments, where every talking point branches off to its own thread, and the most insightful posts float to the top. It makes it really easy to find the best comments and not have to deal with pages and pages of the same talking points being regurgitated over and over. Plus reddit is usually the place I go to to find the latest breaking stuff. GAF is kind of like Tosh.O in comparison.

vazel

Banned
Some good alternatives to reddit are stackexchange.com(this is a dedicated Q&A site) and metafilter.com(has a $5 registration fee which should keep many trolls out). Reddit isn't bad if you seek out the smaller subreddits.

n0razi

I'unno, GAF's a lot more tame when it comes to stuff like that. At least there's no upvote/downvote system, so you'll see both views on the matter

i think the difference is that you probably tend to agree with the gaf hivemind so it doesnt seem as much

Yeah, this is a bit of an odd forum post ... Not even sure if it's allowed on here, but hey if it gets locked, it gets locked
please don't kill me

I only browse three websites daily, for the most part. Facebook, NeoGAF and reddit. I'm okay with the first two, obviously. I'm kinda proud to say that I love GAF. I can't say the same about Facebook, and I definitely can't say the same about reddit.

I first started browsing reddit a few years ago, when my high school friend told me about it. He kind of begged me not to 'tell anyone about it' because it was so secretive and 'cool' lol. ... Yeah, uh. I liked it at first, and I thought it was pretty neat, but I started to notice that the community was just this massive hivemind, and I seriously don't agree with the majority of their opinions or ideas, but you'll never really be able to escape it unless you unsub from practically every subreddit.

It's a hivemind, and if you dare have an opinion different from that, you're going to be 'downvoted' to oblivion. Like America? Oh dear, don't ever mention that. Didn't you know that it's literally hell on earth? Have an interest in guns? You might as well be Satan. Don't think Valve is the best company in the world? Well, there's clearly something wrong with you! It's just a massive circlejerk. I've gotten to the point where I see all users of that site as snotty, smug-ass, edgy teens instead of actual individual people
, and I just have an irrational hatred towards them all.

I'll admit, reddit can be cool, but the negatives have always outweighed the positives for me on that site. I just can't really fit in with that community, and I just want to go elsewhere.

So uh. Apart from GAF, where else can I go to get my news and other things?
This doesnt sound familiar at all.

Faddy

Banned
Fark and SomethingAwful have been good for my internet lifetime.

Reddit has some neat ideas but the site is a mess, comments are worthless and threaded discussion get spammed hard which ruins the point.

And most of the Original Content that people claim was from Reddit was lifted from elsewhere on the internet like Tumble, ED, 4chan. The only OC on reddit is people taking pictures of animals.

Jacob

I'unno, GAF's a lot more tame when it comes to stuff like that. At least there's no upvote/downvote system, so you'll see both views on the matter

Yeah, the upvote/downvote system has a really bad chilling effect on dissent and debate. Look for Internet forums built around software that is actually optimized for discussion, rather than a barebones comment system that somehow ballooned into something much larger, like Reddit did. GAF's a pretty good place for discussion on a variety of topics, but there are plenty of large forums with vibrant communities. Do some searches for forums centered around topics you find interesting, and also poke around in their off-topic sections to see what the community is like there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom