• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Am I crazy or is Mario 3D Land better than 3D World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heartfyre

I prefer 3D Land too, but I think it may come from a state of different expectations. Namely, I compared 3D World to Galaxy 1 and 2 and it comes up lacking, and I compared 3D Land to New Super Mario Bros., which it obliterates.

Regardless, I want Nintendo to abandon the 3D-series setting and move onto a new hook. There's nothing distinctive about either of them, in the way that Sunshine has the beach/resort setting, and the Galaxy games have the space setting, and both are used in ways that shape the gameplay mechanics. The Galaxy games are constantly experimenting with gravity, whereas 3D World has...a catsuit and high walls. 3D World just left me cold by its indistinctiveness.

TreIII

3D Land did come off as the tighter game, but I really did enjoy 3D World's levels being so much larger in scope and fun to explore. It was about as close that the more traditional Mario formula got to having such expansive levels since World.

Will definitely agree that Land's Final Bowser definitely is better than Meowser, though.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Woah, really? I'll have to check next time I get a chance to play 3D Land. I thought both games used the soft-lock in eight directions.

Honestly I forget the exact details for Land, but World only locks on fixed-camera-angle levels. On free-roam stages you have full analog directional control. Lots of people seem to miss this.

Grinchy

Banned
I think I might have enjoyed 3D World more than Galaxy, too. I tired a few times to get into Mario Galaxy 2 and it just never clicked. I just think it controlled like shit and the levels seemed so small and lacked any fun. I should probably try emulating it with a real controller one of these days.

I got maybe 2 hours into Mario Galaxy and I played 3D World all the way through without ever hating the controls or the levels. I really hope that one day I can try out 3D Land if it's that good.

phileep

Legitimately shocked at the amount of preference for 3D Land over 3D World. For me World is the best 3D Mario game ever created. I really like 3D Land too, but I would have placed it below most of the Mario games, 2D and 3D alike. But hey, they're both great games.

Ilvocare

I think I'm going to immediately regret saying this but I don't care. If you're crazy for liking 3D Land to 3D World then I'll double down on crazy by saying that 3D Land is my least favorite Mario game that I blasted through in a week with 1 session per day doing literally everything possible (as in yes, I even played through the game all over again with Luigi just to get that final level). And I played NSMB2 immediately afterwards and enjoyed it more by a clear measure than 3D Land.

I think there's two things that kill 3D Land for me. The fact that, if you want to see everything the game has to offer you basically have to play it through four times, and the complete lack of theming between levels in a specific world. The latter point in particular surprised me with how much it bothered me.

Notes:
-The only difficult part of the game to me was the true final level. Even if I died a lot in some levels (which I did in a couple of airship levels) for some reason I didn't equate that as difficulty.
-I see all these comments saying the 3D feature was necessary to play the game. This baffles me since outside of the rooms where the icon explicitly tells you to use the 3D feature to see the true form of the room (an admittedly great little idea that suddenly vanished once you hit postgame, which is 3/4s of the game) the game was totally playable as a 2D platformer where shadows are paramount and you can accidentally walk off the side of 2D plane at times.

moving goalposts much? The first game was even marketed as the "return" of the original Mario back in the day.

Just divide them into 2D and 3D Mario instead. Easier to differentiate..

In that case, entire NSMB series does not worth to belong to the same line as Yoshi's Island. Only NSMBU plays like a worthy successor of Super Mario 3 and both Worlds.

And, yes, I still consider NSMB series as a spin-off one. The games just aren't or weren't made with as much effort as 3D Marios and pre-NSMB 2D ones.

ScOULaris

In that case, entire NSMB series does not worth to belong to the same line as Yoshi's Island. Only NSMBU plays like a worthy successor of Super Mario 3 and both Worlds.

And, yes, I still consider NSMB series as a spin-off one. The games just aren't or weren't made with as much effort as 3D Marios and pre-NSMB 2D ones.

The problem is now even Mario games without the "New" moniker are using those same uninspired aesthetics. I think that the distinction between "New" Mario games and the mainline series has almost completely blurred at this point.

Skilletor

Honestly I forget the exact details for Land, but World only locks on fixed-camera-angle levels. On free-roam stages you have full analog directional control. Lots of people seem to miss this.

Since I didn't play with analog, and only on dpad, it'd be very easy to miss.

Still, I don't think you're right. 3DL and 3DW control very differently.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
..and the complete lack of theming between levels in a specific world. The latter point in particular surprised me with how much it bothered me.

This I'll agree with, but it actually bothered me more in 3D World, because you basically just got one themed level, the first one in a world, then the rest had nothing to do with the world's theme whatsoever. If you're going to create world themes, use them. They felt like a huge waste in World.

I appreciate that non-adherence to world themes allows for greater creativity, but without them the games feel like they lack a sense of progression, and are instead just an enormous bucket of random challenges with no logical thread. It's a tricky line to walk.

AgeEighty

I prefer 3D Land too, but I think it may come from a state of different expectations. Namely, I compared 3D World to Galaxy 1 and 2 and it comes up lacking, and I compared 3D Land to New Super Mario Bros., which it obliterates.

Yes, this was the same point I made. If you actually compare them side by side with no preconceptions, World is a better game: bigger and more varied levels, better music, co-op, etc. World never ceased to impress me with the way every level had something clever that wasn't in any of the others. But the limited camera movement and the timer make it feel more limited to some people (not me) than a game like Galaxy.

3D Land just felt more impressive because it was on a handheld and carried handheld expectations.

AgeEighty

This I'll agree with, but it actually bothered me more in 3D World, because you basically just got one themed level, the first one in a world, then the rest had nothing to do with the world's theme whatsoever. If you're going to create world themes, use them. They felt like a huge waste in World.

I'm not sure where you get this. 3D World had some stand-alone levels for sure—the dojo for example, or the shadow level—but otherwise the world theming was consistent. It's certainly not true that the cloud world had only one cloud level, or the ice world had only one ice level, or the final world had only one lava level, and so on.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm not sure where you get this. 3D World had some stand-alone levels for sure—the dojo for example, or the shadow level—but otherwise the world theming was consistent. It's certainly not true that the cloud world had only one cloud level, or the ice world had only one ice level, or the final world had only one lava level, and so on.

The world that immediately jumps to mind is world 3:

http://www.mariowiki.com/World_3_(Super_Mario_3D_World)

ScOULaris

Yes, this was the same point I made. If you actually compare them side by side with no preconceptions, World is a better game: bigger and more varied levels, better music, co-op, etc. World never ceased to impress me with the way every level had something clever that wasn't in any of the others. But the limited camera movement and the timer make it feel more limited to some people (not me) than a game like Galaxy.

3D Land just felt more impressive because it was on a handheld and carried handheld expectations.

But to me the bigger levels were less enjoyable than the more tightly designed ones in 3D Land. They were designed to accommodate up to four players, and it shows in every level. There's just so much open space but in these bland, blocky environments. It's not like in the Galaxy games where the medium-to-large levels actually had some visual diversity to make them interesting to explore.

Yeah, that's just egregiously bad.

Kathian

Banned
Before this thread spirals wildly out of control: no, you aren't crazy. 3D Land's focus on tight levels built around a single character, and camera angles that the stereo-3D really helps make usable, puts it ahead.

Best final Bowser "fight" in any Mario, too.

Yep. Its a tighter experience. 3D World is more spectacular though.

If your enjoying it this much now OP, just wait until the bonus levels where the game really shines.

Their not even bonus levels! Its just "oh btw heres the actual game".

Marjar

Banned
Probably yeah.

3D Land feels like a tech demo for 3D World. It's easily the worst of all the 3D Mario games and I just found it pretty boring in comparison to the others. 3D World however is phenomenal.

No, World is 8 directional, and Land is not.
No, the games controls function exactly like I described in my last post. Both are 16 way, 3D World just has much more rigid soft locks on the cardinal directions, whereas 3D Lands locks only become noticible on certain maps.

3D Land is not 'analog', its digital directional.

Business

I disagree, but I think 3D Land is amazing too. I can agree the last boss was better in 3D Land but the post-game content was much better in 3D World, plus the multiplayer.

ramparter

Banned
You aren't crazy, game was held back by 3ds circle pad, if I could play it with a proper gamepad I would have enjoyed it much more. First game I played on 3DS and enjoyed it greatly.

I thought 3D Land was okay, but for some reason, felt very by-the-numbers and way too easy. 3D World was also easy for the most part, but I enjoyed it a lot more. Maybe it's because I played the entire game with my best friend and it was a blast that way. So much laughing. I don't think playing 3D World would be nearly as fun solo.

Junahu

I know this is a pathetic reason to not like a game, but screw it. Even though 3D Land is the tighter experience, I can't put it above 3D World because...

3D Land has the absolute worst level select in the entire series, and that includes games like SMB1 (where there is no level select at all).

Spoilered because ranting:
Not being a hub world is understandable, it's a handheld game.
Not being a map screen is baffling, because that's the go-to method of dressing up the level select in a fun way.
Being a horizontal list with no deviation allowed is absolutely disgusting, we should have at least a modicum of freedom to choose what we engage with.
Not even having a coherant theme between levels in each world is just abhorrent. I know Mario isn't famous for having a narrative structure, but 3D land reduces his adventure to a linear series of unrelated toyboxes that abruptly climax with a boss fight.

That's basically how I'm rationalizing the preference myself in some cases. I personally really don't think 3D Land holds up under direct comparison, although its got a few levels that deserve mention for being really memorable and fun to play and which do demonstrate tighter design than most of 3D Worlds levels (like the level which has you platforming downhill 'into the screen', enabled by 3D screens, or the snowy one with the tightropes in world 3 I think)

oti

Banned
World is prettier but Land is better.
Now Land with four characters (singe player only), that would be perfect.

The problem is now even Mario games without the "New" moniker are using those same uninspired aesthetics. I think that the distinction between "New" Mario games and the mainline series has almost completely blurred at this point.

I agree with you about aesthetics, but I was talking about level design. Level design of NSMB series is uninspired, with NSMB2 one being really bad. Can't say that about 3D Land/World.

now this guy is crazy.

no he isn't, 3dworld is probably the only main entry on wii u i simply cannot defend.
I adore pikmin3,dktf,mario kart,w101 and smash but 3d world was a poor effort that was catered 100% to multiplayer and forgot that people also like to play mario games solo.
Absolute pinnacle of nintendo's lazy assed 'new' series.

Skilletor

No, the games controls function exactly like I described in my last post. Both are 16 way, 3D World just has much more rigid soft locks on the cardinal directions, whereas 3D Lands locks only become noticible on certain maps.

3D Land is not 'analog', its digital directional.

I'm sure you're right, but since I play on dpad, I didn't notice.

hatchx

Banned
This debate will echo through the ages of gaming forums for the next few decades.

I enjoyed both 3D Land and 3D World, but I'd pick 3D World in a heartbeat. More diversity, more challenge, longer and more satisfying end-game, better music/graphics.

I'd go as far as saying 3D World, although less impactful than Galaxy 1/2, is overall the better game and more replayable. Try replaying Galaxy 1/2....have fun with the padding and tutorials. 3D World is the most purified 3D Mario gaming experience to date.

no he isn't, 3dworld is probably the only main entry on wii u i simply cannot defend.
I adore pikmin3,dktf,mario kart,w101 and smash but 3d world was a poor effort that was catered 100% to multiplayer and forgot that people also like to play mario games solo.
Its as competent solo as it is multiplayer, I don't buy this 'catered 100 percent' business one bit. (Nor do I understand the frankly bullshit way you framed that statement... You might as well have said "After 25 years of Mario games better played solo, one comes out that's MP oriented... HOW DARE THEY FORGET ABOUT US, THE PEOPLE WHO GAME ALONE AND DONT PLAY WITH FAMILY OR FRIENDS, SUCH BETRAYAL) I will never understand the multiplayer complaints. The maps are a little wider but the way people talk about it you'd assume there's no meaningful platforming AT ALL to accommodate for 4 players.

Edit: Man I can't get over how god damn rediculous it is, your notion that Nintendo "forgot about the single player" because their latest 3d Mario, out of the five they've made in the last ten years, includes, not even requires, multiplayer. This is the right time to use the phrase 'entitled gamer', right?

AgeEighty

Sure, but most of the worlds weren't like that. And anyway, I find it mind-boggling that people are actually arguing the game's degree of level variation is a weakness.

But to me the bigger levels were less enjoyable than the more tightly designed ones in 3D Land. They were designed to accommodate up to four players, and it shows in every level. There's just so much open space but in these bland, blocky environments. It's not like in the Galaxy games where the medium-to-large levels actually had some visual diversity to make them interesting to explore.

"Bland and blocky"? Come on. There is nothing bland about the levels in 3D World. There's barely a one that doesn't show you something none of the others do.

Skilletor

Never played it multiplayer, so, nope.

AgeEighty

Ridiculous post. 3D World has its flaws, but laziness is not one of them. There's not a single cookie-cutter level in the bunch. And I have never played a minute of it in multiplayer.

Dark_castle

I thought 3D World was designed with co-op in mind whereas 3D Land was with single-player? That might explain why 3D Land level design feels tighter.

alexbull_uk

I'd put SM3DW over SM3DL personally, but there's not much between them.

I intend to replay SM3DL soon, but I'd like to buy a new XL first.

ScOULaris

"Bland and blocky"? Come on. There is nothing bland about the levels in 3D World. There's barely a one that doesn't show you something none of the others do.
I just mean that the levels are designed with "building blocks" of terrain kind of like SMB3 rather than being organically designed playgrounds like some of the larger areas in the Galaxy series or even SM64.

Seriously, look back at some screenshots. The levels look like little miniature play sets rather than real places.

Bulzeeb

3D land was quite easy compared to other Mario games. Now, I've only been playing 3D world in multiplayer so that might have help to make things more chaotic and fun for me.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm suspicious whether the Land camp have even played 3D World.

Let's not be ridiculous.

zlCfzRZUKuM7Qg5wsn

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqFq_kFbmg

tariniel

They're both great and enjoyable games but I enjoyed 3D World a lot more. I thought the levels in general were prettier and designed better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom