• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon censoring Titanfall reviews - Must hit dat 5 stars rating.

no, proven MS practices like the whole blocking used games thing (which they changed), the proven astro-turfing on places like GAF, and the Machinima scandal, sets the precedence for this and why some people are quick to pass judgement on MS.

12 out of 20 people finding it helpful caused their algorithm to remove it?

no, it's conspiracy nuts not MS.

and I have no idea what their algorithm does much like everyone else here. there is a precedence for this behavior from them in other items so really who knows. specualtion on MS's involvement is absurd and childish.

MormaPope

Banned
Maybe it was FPS Russia.

Anywho, is this game going to turn into this year's GTA5? All the reviews are high yet the public response will be 'meh, appearing on few game of the year lists?

I'm assuming you meant GTA IV. GTA V reception was extremely positive, while GTA Online reception was middling at best. If GTA V reception was "meh", then holy shit batman those would be gigantic standards.

213372bu

Banned
Sorry if I said anything to offend you (RE: the "shut up"). Just wanted to get these thoughts out there because I grow tired of reading so much conspiracy theory here. Wish we aren't so cynical...

I usually stay quiet, but this one was a little too much.

Nah, I was being satirical I actually fully agree with you, lol you're definitely on point. Can't wait until all these people being confused actually read these posts.

You know, I was looking at a few of the PS4 and Xbox One game reviews on Amazon just now. It doesn't matter the game, but both systems have games with totally stupid 1 star reviews. Some that are like 2 sentences long, from non verified purchases, and they have been there for months. Same with 5 star reviews.

So it seems like there are a lot of people downvoting reviews right now for Titanfall, policing them if you will. I am sure as time passes, the policing will level off, and the game will end up with a 4-5 star average review, just like almost all of the other next gen titles seem to have now.

You guys love to hate Microsoft these days SO MUCH. I don't even care, I'm probably buying a PS4 once I get a new gen console, but man. It gets goofy in here sometimes. Sorry this didn't turn out to be much of an evil conspiracy. /shill

Also, user reviews are awful. Just across the board, really. 80% are activist reviews based on whichever tribe the given user has thrown his or her cards in with and/or indirect protest about not getting a feature they want, monetization they don't like or some other piece. Really doesn't even have much to do with video games.

wildfire

Banned
Took down my friends 3 star review even though he bought it off amazon gross gross gross.

Just to be clear. He actually has a copy and didn't do the cancel order trick and post a "verified" (when it technically isn't) review?

If so it would be best if they try reposting their review again and saving a before and after screenshot.

iammeiam

It hadn't been banned at 12/20, since he could screenshot it.... so Id assume it went lower (or reported as spam)

It's up right now; I'm unsure if this specific one was actually removed earlier, and if it was what the helpful/nonhelpful ratio was at the time. Additionally, if somebody was abusing the "report abuse" link, that might have got it pulled (and based on the insanity in the review section right now, it seems pretty likely people are reporting reviews to get them removed.)

If it really was pulled at one point, this is probably further argument in favor of the non-conspiracy-theory, since something had to reinstate it.

Edit: This review is still in the Amazon system and is still viewable by clicking on the user, but is no longer visible from the main Titanfall page. I know it was earlier, so it seems like Amazon is still shifting crap around.

213372bu

Banned
You know, I was looking at a few of the PS4 and Xbox One game reviews on Amazon just now. It doesn't matter the game, but both systems have games with totally stupid 1 star reviews. Some that are like 2 sentences long, from non verified purchases, and they have been there for months. Same with 5 star reviews.

So it seems like there are a lot of people downvoting reviews right now for Titanfall, policing them if you will. I am sure as time passes, the policing will level off, and the game will end up with a 4-5 star average review, just like almost all of the other next gen titles seem to have now.

It's almost like people have been directly telling you guys this for 8 full pages.

They are probably because shipping took an extra day.

"One star because I did not receive this can of WD40 on Saturday like the estimated delivery said. Sure, it was in the middle of an ice storm during Christmas and ...."

Desty

Banned
No, I am pretty sure the the tons of shills that have been banned off this site (including some I helped point out) is what has done this!

Yeah, these tactics by MS feels like some weird North Korea vibe. Just pump out the propaganda until someone buys in. This type of going on the offensive is going over the line to me.

They do exactly that by letting people vote on whether or not a review is helpful. That system (and possibly the abuse of it) is part of what's driving this issue right now.

Astroturfers who advertise their fake Amazon review services usually throw in up and down voting other reviews as part of the package. It's why user reviews on many self published kindle books are completely useless. You only need like $500 to make your book one of the top rated novels on the site with 100 positive reviews from fiverr.com no matter how shitty it is. Amazon doesn't lift a finger about it.

I wonder how they'll handle reviews of their own console when that comes out?

If this is any precedent to go by. Why did I spoiler this? Don't even know why, just did.

No, he accused me of lying my saying "sure you did......" in response to my "No, I am pretty sure the the tons of shills that have been banned off this site (including some I helped point out) is what has done this!" statement.
There is no other way of taking what he said.

no i just didn't believe you. no accusations

watership

No, he accused me of lying my saying "sure you did......" in response to my "No, I am pretty sure the the tons of shills that have been banned off this site (including some I helped point out) is what has done this!" statement.
There is no other way of taking what he said.

I know you did some of that detective work. That's not really what this is about though, is it? Done what? Is everyone who's a crazy person or a troll for MS products paid by MS? Are amazon reviews being changed at the behest of Microsoft?

purchase verified reviews being removed is pretty damn shady.
IMO only verified purchasers should be able to review thing on Amazon.

you've got to be one hell of a troll to purchase a game just to shit talk it... ie, if you've purchased the game, you should be able to post an opinion, even if it is negative.

I know you did some of that detective work. That's not really what this is about though, is it? Done what? Is everyone who's a crazy person or a troll for MS products paid by MS? Are amazon reviews being changed at the behest of Microsoft?

No, they aren't and jumping to those ridiculous conclusions borders on crazy.

TheD

The Detective

No, I said that people are willing to believe that MS could have a hand in it due to past actions (including on this forum).
I never said I think MS has a hand in this, in fact I do not.

I think OP is talking about reviews like this being removed:

o2KV5Gy.png

reviews from people who actually bought it and gave a review.

You can purchase the game, write a review, and then cancel the purchase and it will still come up as a verified purchase. Some of the 1 star reviews hit at 3am in the 11th and were verified purchase and it's no way they got it delivered to them at that time.

jmizzal

Titanfall may be a good game but this crap is pissing me off how they are trying to force it to be the next great game and big seller

TheD

The Detective
no it isn't

Yes it is!
Saying I don't believe you can logically only mean 1 of two things,
1. I don't believe what you are saying because my biases will not allow me to believe you (which is insanely unlikely, you would have to be more self aware than any human ever was, but at the same time not smart enough to to ignore the bias).
or
2. You are saying that you do not believe what I said (which is the same as saying I lied and thus you are saying I was lying!).

Titanfall may be a good game but this crap is pissing me off how they are trying to force it to be the next great game and big seller

That's what all companies try to do with their games.

Oh, and that has nothing to do with this thread. Amazon didn't make or publish Titanfall.

watership

No, I said that people are willing to believe that MS could have a hand in it due to past actions (including on this forum).
I never said I think MS has a hand in this, in fact I do not.

Ah okay. I get what your saying. There is a perception that MS is bad so people believe this could be possible. I just think in this case, they're crazy. Perceptions of corporations, in terms of behavior or ethical or moral actions .. .is a pretty hilarious thing. Amazon wouldn't risk doing this, even for Microsoft.

JLeack

Banned
I've copied quite a few of the reviews that were taken down. They were all 1/5, unverified, and said things like "it's not 1080p and has screen tearing".

Its a good thing that crap is being handled.

MS is the new evil empire

You can really tell who reads threads and who doesn't. This is why mods should be as quick on the thread title corrections (and OP updates!) as they (rightly) are with the bans.

Poorly-titled threads and OPs are just as toxic as dumb posts.

sublimit

Banned

Well it may piss you off but brute marketing force seems to be working quite well since lots of people are hyped about the game without even knowing why they are hyped (even people who have never played a FPS before).The marketing so far has been incredible but its hardly surprising considering the companies behind it.

maks

Hmm. I've worked for companies (yes more than one) that have tried to get Amazon 1-star reviews removed but Amazon clearly tells us no. I've seen the email threads haha.

I think its the community policing itself. If enough people use the 'report' link then the system will automatically remove the review while it is under investigation. I'm sure its mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Amir0x

Banned
If we get confirmation EA or MS did this: seriously ffucking fuck OFF already game companies. How the fuck awful do you have to be to think this shit is acceptable? When did these people turn off their ethical standards? Christ.

And seriously wrong for Amazon to continue this practice, not the first time they've done this shit. It's wrong, and gives people a false idea of what people think about a product.

If we don't: Stop deleting verified reviews Amazon.

Top Bottom