• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.com and the 360, something fishy.

Wow, I haven't paid enough attention to new 360 sku's it seems. I had no idea there's been 9 to this point (of course I know not at the same time) with new one(s) coming apparently. So why isn't the Halo edition discontinued yet? I can't imagine it's still in production, still have units from the first run in MS warehouses maybe?

Danielsan

solid2snake said:
Xbox 720 launching winter 2008?
I know it's a joke but still we ARE talking Microsoft here. Personally I don't want a new generation of consoles before 2010 (perhaps with the exception of a Wii 2).

WrikaWrek

Banned
Maybe because Mattrick spends so much time out of the office and in his game studio far away, he forgot to tell people what they were supposed to be doing.

So people did nothing. And we've come to this.

WrikaWrek said:
Toshiba bailed on Hd DVd

Now MS is bailing on 360

BAIL OUT

zv7r6e.gif
Best part is that lady who avoided collision without showing any panic.

WrikaWrek said:
Would be cool if they completely revamped the SKUS. Kill the arcade.
Never going to happen. The whole reason the Arcade/Core exists is because of the "Wal-Mart" consumer thats waiting to buy a console under $200. Or something.
UnholySpectacle said:
That and a new Pro with a larger hard drive.
This brings up an interesting point. Are we reaching a point where it is more expensive for Microsoft to keep putting 20GB HDDs on Pros than say a 40 or a 60GB HDD?

S

Shepherd

Unconfirmed Member
Great news. One sku to rule them all. 120GB 360 for $249 with built-in Blu-ray drive. :D

Xun

Danielsan said:
I know it's a joke but still we ARE talking Microsoft here. Personally I don't want a new generation of consoles before 2010 (perhaps with the exception of a Wii 2).
I think Microsoft will want to keep it going as much as they can, like the PS2. I think as you said the Wii 2 will probably be the first, followed by the PS4. The 1080 will come out last I'm guessing, but I'm probably wrong. We'll see.

WrikaWrek said:
Would be cool if they completely revamped the SKUS. Kill the arcade.

Maybe, i don't know, no rumors no leaks, so weird.

I think the Core and Arcade have proved people don't want the tard pack/HDD-less 360, its about time they end the value option and just go for two SKUs at the lowest price they can.

I think they have to do something to the Elite as well, give it back 'the edge' it had over the Premium. Its lost the advantage of the HDMI port since all 360s now have that, so its the hard drive that is making the difference (do people care that much about the colour?). Wi-Fi built in would be a step in the right direction for MS (Criminy, the DS has it after all!)

WrikaWrek

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Never going to happen. The whole reason the Arcade/Core exists is because of the "Wal-Mart" consumer thats waiting to buy a console under $200. Or something.

All i'm sayin is...maybe if i had the "kill arcade" button here in my keyboard, maybe...just maybe i would push it.

Maybe one day i would arrive home pissed and accidentally, without any previous thought, push the button.

I'm just saying.

Psychotext said:
I've heard Mattrick has a reputation for breaking knees.

Poor fellow must spend alot of time in the hospital.

Parl

- Peter Moore bailed out
- Lack of high-tier 360 games in 2008
- 360 manufacturer scaling back on production
- Nintendomination means Microsoft don't need the Xbox project to protect Windows from being disrupted

Looks like it's back to Nintendo vs Sony vs Sega.

Xun said:
I think Microsoft will want to keep it going as much as they can, like the PS2. I think as you said the Wii 2 will probably be the first, followed by the PS4. The 1080 will come out last I'm guessing, but I'm probably wrong. We'll see.

if you ask me, MS will bring a new line of Xbox 360 with the 65nm GPU and a waggle controller with built in 1 GB flash storage. pack in a waggle sports game for 249 dollars and you get the next Xbox (probably under a new brand, because Xbox is too hardcore-like)

MS could not become nr.1 in the market with ultra harcore games like Gears, Halo 3 or Mass Effect. they had even a head start with over a year and still they will be third in the market at the end of the generation... they have to change something in their strategy.

Danielsan

Xun said:
I can only hope that the 360 will have a lifespan similar to the PS2, it's crazy but I'm still buying new releases for it 7 years after I bought it.

Why are people hoping for the death of Core/Arcade now? Damage is already done. I don't care if MS go that route but it will be PR nightmare.

I say screw tards and ask all developers to assume SKU with HDD as base version.

MaX_PL

Banned
UnholySpectacle said:
I'm going with the GTA bundle angle. That and a new Pro with a larger hard drive.

theres not gonna be a GTA bundle til fall. theyre not gonna bundle consoles with a new released game when they can charge you full price for it.

Ashhong

wtf at people expecting a GTA bundle. they wouldnt even bundle Halo3 with the Halo3 360! they arent going to bundle a 3rd party game. its a new sku, but i would guarantee it wont be a gta bundle. they wouldnt discontinue old skus for a bundle. thats just stupid to think

WrikaWrek

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
Why are people hoping for the death of Core/Arcade now? Damage is already done. I don't care if MS go that route but it will be PR nightmare.

I say screw tards and ask all developers to assume SKU with HDD as base version.

Nah, HDD attach rate is so high that it wouldn't matter. They could literally do that today, and while the press would cry foul, which would be ironic, because they have been crying for MS to do it since the beginning, it wouldn't do any damage, only good.

Ashhong said:
wtf at people expecting a GTA bundle. they wouldnt even bundle Halo3 with the Halo3 360! they arent going to bundle a 3rd party game. its a new sku, but i would guarantee it wont be a gta bundle. they wouldnt discontinue old skus for a bundle. thats just stupid to think

Uh they have been bundling the console with 1st party and 3rd party games. They didn't bundle it with Halo because...well because.

Guy Legend

Parl said:
- Peter Moore bailed out
- Lack of high-tier 360 games in 2008
- 360 manufacturer scaling back on production
- Nintendomination means Microsoft don't need the Xbox project to protect Windows from being disrupted

Looks like it's back to Nintendo vs Sony vs Sega.

YES

New sku hopefully...

wow at the sony lads here LOL

they're like the kid that's been bullied around at school, then takes a few karate lessons and has a few new moves to show off.

that kid always gets his ass kicked though. his lunch is delicious.

gregor7777 said:
New sku hopefully...

wow at the sony lads here LOL

they're like the kid that's been bullied around at school, then takes a few karate lessons and has a few new moves to show off.

that kid always gets his ass kicked though. his lunch is delicious.

karate_kid.jpg

Draft

MirageDwarf said:

Mess could be cleaned up with:

1. One SKU with a HDD standard
2. 20GB HDD for around $30.

Of course both of those are fairy tales.

Ashhong

WrikaWrek said:
Nah, HDD attach rate is so high that it wouldn't matter. They could literally do that today, and while the press would cry foul, which would be ironic, because they have been crying for MS to do it since the beginning, it wouldn't do any damage, only good.

Uh they have been bundling the console with 1st party and 3rd party games. They didn't bundle it with Halo because...well because.

they never discontinued the other ones though. the forza/marvel games were just added to the premium to be in the holiday bundle. by clearing the channels of the premiums and elites, they are basically going to make whatever sku they announce as the "main" one. you believe that to be a gta4 bundle? possibly the biggest game of the year? no. also that would leave the channels with no 360s until end of april? no.

Scotch

Next week is gonna be interesting. My guess is they definitely have a new sku cooking. Hopefully a pricedrop.

And LOL at the people saying we'll see the 360 successor this year.

If MS decides to announce a new cooler, quieter model with say a 40GB HDD at GDC, I'd probably bite and buy a 360 again. I really want to play Mass Effect and GTAIV.

Draft

a Master Ninja said:
Got one more for you, Draft.

3. Wi-fi Adapater under $50
I always forget the Wifi thing because I'm wired only but yes, of course, something like a wi-fi adapter shouldn't cost more than $20-$30 dollars.

WrikaWrek said:

Arcade's easy availability should be a good indication for MS. Better for them to do it sooner than later.

Draft said:
Mess could be cleaned up with:

1. One SKU with a HDD standard
2. 20GB HDD for around $30.

Of course both of those are fairy tales.
Agree.

MS is selling 512 MB memory stick for $50. If happens, 20GB for just $30 could be the biggest fairy tale of all times in MSland.

MirageDwarf said:
MS is selling 512 MB memory stick for $50. If happens, 20GB for just $30 could be the biggest fairy tale of all times in MSland.

wait what? you can get a 4 GB usb stick for 30 dollars and MS sells 512 MB for 50 bucks? :lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
Ashhong said:
you believe that to be a gta4 bundle? possibly the biggest game of the year? no. also that would leave the channels with no 360s until end of april? no.

I believe that if MS is smart, they will do this.

It's as simple as that. If they do it, awesome move by them.

Draft

solid2snake said:
wait what? you can get a 4 GB usb stick for 30 dollars and MS sells 512 MB for 50 bucks? :lol
Every X360 accessory is black market priced. You'd think someone was smuggling wi-fi adapters out of North Korea or something.

Top Bottom