• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.com and the 360, something fishy.

DuckRacer

Question: ignoring the photo on Major Nelson's Flickr (since that happened less than a dozen hours before announcement), was the Halo 360 leaked?

Duck said:
Question: ignoring the photo on Major Nelson's Flickr (since that happened less than a dozen hours before announcement), was the Halo 360 leaked?

jepp, it was leaked, like everything Xbox 360 related.

tanod

when is my burrito
Duck said:

The difference is that people are expecting something to fill up their retail channel now. The Halo 360 was announced 2 months before it was slated to hit retail. The same was the case with the Elite. That's an important distinction.

Zophar

I'm guessing its all those HD-DVD 360s they were going to announce at CES but had to pull the plug on at the last minute.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Man... Microsoft is quickly becoming the Britney Spears of the console wars. Once a fresh face, the 360 excited us with her sexy moves and innocent eyes. Now the innocence is gone... the moves flat... and it's desperately whoring itself around town while stoned on prescription drugs. The PS3 (Christina Aguilara), while not as popular initially, is now demonstrating that skill triumphs over style in the long run.

Please Microsoft, please come back to me :(

Talamius

Zophar said:
I'm guessing its all those HD-DVD 360s they were going to announce at CES but had to pull the plug on at the last minute.

I've said that before, jokingly........but it really starts to make you wonder.

Zophar

RSTEIN said:
Man... Microsoft is quickly becoming the Britney Spears of the console wars. Once a fresh face, the 360 excited us with her sexy moves and innocent eyes. Now the innocence is gone... the moves flat... and it's desperately whoring itself around town while stoned on prescription drugs. The PS3 (Christina Aguilara), while not as popular initially, is now demonstrating that skill triumphs over style in the long run.

what the fuck?

RSTEIN said:

and who is the Wii? Tupac back from the dead?

Mash

RSTEIN said:

Sorry but that kind of failed.

I'm not going to speculate wildly but it would be pretty funny if this was something HD-DVD related.

Doc Evils

Narcosis said:
Haha, someone at Microsoft is reading this thread and responded with some phone calls.....

>_>
<_<

Who is it?

bhdb11.jpg

MaX_PL

Banned
i hope they release a wifi sku. i kinda want internal wifi, everything else concerning the xbox 360 is not a problem for me.

more storage means nothing.

whats really fishy is the 60 GB Playstation 3 DOESNT say discontinued....... i chalk it up to MS damage control telling amazon to put it up there for the 360.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Jesus solid2snake, I hope you get more than 10 cents for each MS troll you throw out. You must be trying to amass a small fortune. However, I don't think you get a bonus for effort. Keep fighting the good fight.

squatingyeti said:
Jesus solid2snake, I hope you get more than 10 cents for each MS troll you throw out. You must be trying to amass a small fortune. However, I don't think you get a bonus for effort. Keep fighting the good fight.

hey, i'm from yuropa, sonyland ;)

gcubed

Dave Long said:
This is just so insane that it might be true!

i was going to post this earlier. The more and more info comes out about HD-DVD's demise, the more and more they focus around MS and Toshiba readying to drop huge bombs at CES. Of course that all got cancelled due to the last second Warner deal (apparently HD-DVD thought that they had warner AND got Fox to switch). Its common knowledge now that MS had the built in HD-DVD xbox360 mock up ready to go for CES... but what if it was a little more then a mock up? tinfoilhatman.jpg

Either way, MS has impressed me with the fact that NO ONE KNOWS. Mattrick must be some scary MOFO, because if it is a new model, or it was the HD-DVD gone bad, we would have known a while ago if it was the old MS.

gcubed

solid2snake said:
what do you mean?

hd-dvd add-ons plummeted to like 50 bucks. What if MS was going to replace the premium with an HD-DVD internal premium at the same price, just a new sku thing. Again this is all conspiracy theory because MS is a huge and wildly successful corporation and i dont think they would have ever gotten caught with their pants down, but SOMETHING has to be up, because they cant be just "we underestimated demand"

either way like i said in my previous post, bravo to MS for tightening that ship up to a point where no one can even squeeze a fart out of it.

I'm beginning to agree with those who've said that if a new SKU were in the cards, it would have probably leaked by now. A little disappointing, since I still don't trust most of the 360s out on the shelves.

MaX_PL

Banned
squatingyeti said:

yeh if i did this in a PS3 thread theyd send out a dozen messages to mods to ban me. i'm from NA, Xbox land. ohhh...
disappeared said:
I'm beginning to agree with those who've said that if a new SKU were in the cards, it would have probably leaked by now. A little disappointing, since I still don't trust most of the 360s out on the shelves.

hey theres a first time for everything and a new SKU is the only explanation as to why theyve cleared the channels.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
gcubed said:
hd-dvd add-ons plummeted to like 50 bucks. What if MS was going to replace the premium with an HD-DVD internal premium at the same price, just a new sku thing. Again this is all conspiracy theory because MS is a huge and wildly successful corporation and i dont think they would have ever gotten caught with their pants down, but SOMETHING has to be up, because they cant be just "we underestimated demand"

either way like i said in my previous post, bravo to MS for tightening that ship up to a point where no one can even squeeze a fart out of it.

Umm, no they didn't. Not even freaking close. They decreased in price again after the Warner announcement. Also, for the millionth time, games come on DVD, games need a 12X DVD drive, HD-DVD does not read DVDs @ 12X. There's also no way MS would eat the extra cost to include the HD-DVD in the pro system. If there EVER was a HD-DVD 360, it certainly was not the pro. So, that doesn't explain why the pro system is in short supply.

squatingyeti said:
Umm, no they didn't. Not even freaking close. They decreased in price again after the Warner announcement. Also, for the millionth time, games come on DVD, games need a 12X DVD drive, HD-DVD does not read DVDs @ 12X. There's also no way MS would eat the extra cost to include the HD-DVD in the pro system. If there EVER was a HD-DVD 360, it certainly was not the pro. So, that doesn't explain why the pro system is in short supply.
The games dont need the 12x DVD drive BTW. My PGR4 and COD4 are saying no. After some time at both games, the drive stops spinning, I play the game as usual, no problems, I only hear the laser working. If I go to another level or the main menu, the drive starts to spin at about 4-6x, which is really barely noticeable, and both games work fine, without any delays or extra loading time.

Also, AFAIK, there are mods/flash, to reduce the spinning of the drive to 4-6.

Walshicus

squatingyeti said:
Also, for the millionth time, games come on DVD, games need a 12X DVD drive, HD-DVD does not read DVDs @ 12X.
Not to put fuel on this one way or the other, but do you *really* think that would have been an issue? I mean I might be missing some deep understanding of the HD-DVD format, but I find it utterly ludicrous to believe that HD-DVD drives capable of reading DVDs at 12x are an impossibility. I mean, really think about what you're saying for a second...

beerbelly

Banned
That contribution pic is so badly photoshopped...I don't know what's so funny about it. Is there some sort of cat reference related to Bell?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Sir Fragula said:
Not to put fuel on this one way or the other, but do you *really* think that would have been an issue? I mean I might be missing some deep understanding of the HD-DVD format, but I find it utterly ludicrous to believe that HD-DVD drives capable of reading DVDs at 12x are an impossibility. I mean, really think about what you're saying for a second...

No one said they're impossible, I did say they're not out. Even @ 8X DVD read, that's as fast as they go and those are more expensive than a 2X or 4X.

@Hellraizor, yes they do have mods that can reduce the speed to 8X. However, that increases load times on all games. It can also increase stuttering on games that have heavy disc streaming.

Do either of you think MS would do that? Firstly, it would increase the cost of the pro. No way around it, MS isn't going to eat that. Secondly, imagine the problem trying to explain why some people's games take longer to load or stutter. PR nightmare.

squatingyeti said:
No one said they're impossible, I did say they're not out. Even @ 8X DVD read, that's as fast as they go and those are more expensive than a 2X or 4X.

@Hellraizor, yes they do have mods that can reduce the speed to 8X. However, that increases load times on all games. It can also increase stuttering on games that have heavy disc streaming.

Do either of you think MS would do that? Firstly, it would increase the cost of the pro. No way around it, MS isn't going to eat that. Secondly, imagine the problem trying to explain why some people's games take longer to load or stutter. PR nightmare.
I didnt had any stuttering or increased loading times in COD4 or PGR4. It just loads about 1-2 seconds longer as usual. The laser still keeps on reading, everything works fine. I also have a friend on XBL who has the same "issue" with Gears of War (talking about heavy streaming)

I would be happy if they would just offer some kind of optional update to reduce the speed "if we want to"

Top Bottom