• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon.com and the 360, something fishy.

gkryhewy

gcubed said:
hd-dvd add-ons plummeted to like 50 bucks. What if MS was going to replace the premium with an HD-DVD internal premium at the same price, just a new sku thing. Again this is all conspiracy theory because MS is a huge and wildly successful corporation and i dont think they would have ever gotten caught with their pants down, but SOMETHING has to be up, because they cant be just "we underestimated demand"

either way like i said in my previous post, bravo to MS for tightening that ship up to a point where no one can even squeeze a fart out of it.

The bolded part is the important part. There is zero possibility that MS would have gone so far as to manufacture HD units without some sort of arrangement or understanding with WB.

But something is definitely up.

DeadGzuz

Banned
yoopoo said:

So the only thing not discontinued should be...

If there is no new SKU(s) then something is wrong. Maybe they ran out of new 360 from all the RRoD replacements? Even if there was a HD-DVD model (no way IMO), it would not cannibalize the other models in production. They must be clearing the channel for the more reliable, but same SKU models. I don't think they have to change the SKU if the specs are the same.

gkryhewy

McLovin said:
I highly doubt that MS would jump ship.. but holy crap if it was true.

Anyone who seriously interprets this as MS leaving the market is retarded. Even merely "highly doubting" it is indicative of some type of mental impairment.

gkrykewy said:
Anyone who seriously interprets this as MS leaving the market is retarded. Even merely "highly doubting" it is indicative some type of mental impairment.

Would explain why they have the keynote at GDC this year though, nice platform to say your goodbyes an' all.

:p

sionyboy said:
Would explain why they have the keynote at GDC this year though, nice platform to say your goodbyes an' all.

:p
Thats the big plan. You see, after loosing the war against bluray, then getting their ass whooped in sales this january, it all comes together at the GDC, Balmer and STringer enter the stage, Balmer admiting defeat and handing MS over to Sony. Anything else at this point would be, well, pointless. It's over.

Sibylus

Banned
Hellraizer said:
Thats the big plan. You see, after loosing the war against bluray, then getting their ass whooped in sales this january, it all comes together at the GDC, Balmer and STringer enter the stage, Balmer admiting defeat and handing MS over to Sony. Anything else at this point would be, well, pointless. It's over.
Then Sylar kills everyone.

... oops, spoilers!

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Brilliant :D
I've already started buying 360 games but decided not to buy a 360 console until GTAIV hits as I was certain MS would have something nice up their sleeves before GTAIV is released :)
I thought it would just be a price drop, but if we'll be seeing SKUs I'm happy too. Roll on GDC baby.

gofreak said:
I'm gonna go with the common prediction of a new configuration, with gta bundled, at the same prices as before or lower. Going for the angle that if you're going to buy a system for gta, you may as well go for a 360.

Bingo.

Timing gives them ~2.5 months to get them manufactured and in stores in large quantities.

McLovin

"Anyone who seriously interprets this as MS leaving the market is retarded. Even merely "highly doubting" it is indicative of some type of mental impairment."
F U man I R smart

pswii60

McLovin said:
"Anyone who seriously interprets this as MS leaving the market is retarded. Even merely "highly doubting" it is indicative of some type of mental impairment."
F U man I R smart

You don't even know how to use the quote function.

Norml

Psychotext said:
Recall generally involves removing things from stores... not withholding stock. :lol

Thats right, my bad.

If a new then maybe it will have a real optical port this time:lol

Wowhawk

Banned
solid2snake said:
Xbox 720 launching winter 2008?

what? it was only released 3 years ago.. surely Microsoft wouldn't release another one so soon, or would they?

bush-confused.jpg

Wowhawk said:
what? it was only released 3 years ago.. surely Microsoft wouldn't release another one so soon, or would they?
Late 2010 or early 2011. 5 year release cycle (just like Nintendo) vs Sony's 6 year cycle.

Bulla564

Banned
I agree with some:

- HD-DVD 360 canned at the last moment, screwed up production.

- Arcade and Halo SKUs are sitting in stores, MS fucked up royally on their market research, screwed up Premium/Elite production.

- GTA SKU (sans GTAIV inside the box) with an even more vomit-inducing color tba @ GDC

verio

I went to Wal-Mart to pick up LO and all the 360 stuff was being pulled down...

xbox_gone.jpg

*throws gas on the fire*

Yeah... most likely rearranging sections, but timing was perfect.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Psychotext said:
...and again, we would have seen one by now / MS would have actually supported HD DVD rather than leaving it to rot.

They'll never get it. Microsoft tried to prolong the battle by making the HD-DVD drive. They were never going to put it in their console. It is amusing to see them keep up that argument though. Having a physical format win goes against what they want to establish and that is their XBL marketplace downloadable service.

outsida

Agent Icebeezy said:
They'll never get it. Microsoft tried to prolong the battle by making the HD-DVD drive. They were never going to put it in their console. It is amusing to see them keep up that argument though. Having a physical format win goes against what they want to establish and that is their XBL marketplace downloadable service.

Well hey hey hey lookie here!!!! A got damned genius!! I have found one. I keep telling people this. Most actually think MS cared about HD-DVD in the first place.

Majmun

Agent Icebeezy said:

MS has to use BD eventually though.

It's not like the next-gen Xbox will only have downloadable games.

fse

Second said:
MS has to use BD eventually though.

It's not like the next-gen Xbox will only have downloadable games.

they might develop an xbox only media maybe... :\?

Dunlop

solid2snake said:
imagine our position. it's weekend and we're sitting in front of our computers and looking for a meaning in life. "what, amazon made something 360 related? GAF am doomed!!"

QFT.

What I love about these threads is when it turns out to be a clerical error, it will somehow still be MS's fault.

my money is on a new SKU, they are finally profitable and no fucking way they should be this far behind on production

gdt

Agent Icebeezy said:

This does fit right in with Gate's CES speech.

MrDaravon

Scottlarock said:
where? no place around here buddy.

There seems to be a fairly general consensus that the arcade and Halo units are widely available in most areas, and the Premiums/Elites are not. I don't think I've seen a Halo unit since before Christmas, but I've seen nothing but Arcade units the past month and a half. YMMV of course, especially since stores are starting to get restocks apparently.

All that aside, I thought they had said that the Arcade unit was doing better than expected just a couple months ago? Was that just bullshit, or were they just Christmas gift sales that dropped like a rock after Christmas or something? Weird.

Top Bottom