• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon DD Sales Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

Alex

The Borderlands 2 OT is bloated, it's just not as bloated. It's still a glorified advertisement, the whole OT thing has never really been for me and I miss the ancient days when we'd do an official post and it'd be a smattering of very useful information.

The Borderlands 2 OT is bloated, it's just not as bloated.

It's still a glorified advertisement.

This idea that ANY ot isn't just an ad is a joke. As if a character limit or font choice makes it any less. They are what they are. The idea that making sure they don't pass some totally arbitrary line is totally ridiculous.

That said, this is a private site and they can do whatever they want, including putting in a 50 character limit or banning ot's outright. All of this sophistry is just funny though.

Tess3ract

Banned
The last 3 could use a little cleaning up, but your first example is everything an OP should be.

I don't want to read an OP with one fucking picture and a paragraph why I should play it and maybe a video link.

I want to read a glorious, informative OP like that.

I don't know, I absolutely adore the community that gaf has but I'm probably going to have to start seeing what other forums offer. Maybe I'll see what CAGs moderation/rules are, but they probably won't be any different than here or something awful.

Alex

This idea that ANY ot isn't just an ad is a joke. As if a character limit or font choice makes it any less. They are what they are. The idea that making sure they don't pass some totally arbitrary line is totally ridiculous.

That said, this is a private site and they can do whatever they want, including putting in a 50 character limit or banning ot's outright. All of this sophistry is just funny though.

I don't think it's a leap to say that when OT's became this big, official branding type deal decided ahead of time and were suddenly all littered with ten tons of giant custom images and fifty tons of marketing details that it became a little more phony feeling than back when we had an OT with the release info and a blurb or two.

Obviously not everyone wants the same shit, but that's just my take on it.

Derrick01

Banned
Some of the people in the CAG thread are disappointing me. Mostly with not understanding why this was a problem and how quickly things could get out of control if Evilore allowed what Tony was asking to happen.

Ploid 3.0

I can understand if this is the strict line in the sand, unless specifically agreed to by a admin who allows it for some reason. mik83kuu seemed to be against ANY "marketer post marketing on Gaf" and "what would Gaf turn into if every publisher and retailer had their own Gaf 'personas' posting glorified ads.". Is that really the line in the sand ethically?? How about indie developers, or anyone else professionally connected to a service or product? That was my point. I would prefer a measured approach that allowed for the greatest possible benefit to the users, part of which would allow for official reps to provide info and help out with their own services and products in the threads specifically designated for them. I don't think that crosses any ethical boundaries.

We have a member that turned game maker (Chubigans : Cook Serve Delicious http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43380289&postcount=21). He waited until someone made a OT under their own power, then started posting in it (near the end of the first page). Then he started providing support, and information. I doubt people would have minded if he made the OT but there would be a possibility of people wanting him tared and feathered for advertising his game. This is how I think the rules of engagement is for people in this situation. They have to wait or not bother bringing it up unless it's on topic in a thread already started (as part of the discussion, like us talking about Amazon Tony and him not being able to add to the way we've carried out posting and using this thread).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Some of the people in the CAG thread are disappointing me. Mostly with not understanding why this was a problem and how quickly things could get out of control if Evilore allowed what Tony was asking to happen.

I don't know if you know this, but a lot of people that get banned/not allowed on GAF get really pissed on other forums when talking about GAF...

Alex

I like CAG, but yeah it's a really easy going site and you can tell why a lot of people wouldn't really understand things. Also, when I go there I'm reminded why I was happy when they turned off sigs here :lol Always a few dudes with sigs 10x as tall as their actual posts.

Actually, I can't remember if sigs were turned off here or were they just disabled from the getgo when we switched...All I remember is that I had some stupid fucking signatures back on the prehistoric Gaming-Age Forums.

Ploid 3.0

I like CAG, but yeah it's a really easy going site and you can tell why a lot of people wouldn't really understand things. Also, when I go there I'm reminded why I was happy when they turned off sigs here :lol Always a few dudes with sigs 10x as tall as their actual posts.

Actually, I can't remember if sigs were turned off here or were they just disabled from the getgo when we switched...All I remember is that I had some stupid fucking signatures back on the prehistoric Gaming-Age Forums.

Turned off, a long long time ago. Other board code and such. Much like avatar sizes, and animated avatars became outlawed.

cicero

Would the potential problem still exist if he was pushing for Publishers to release assets that could be used to create OTs, but off site and in maybe something like what I have seen Nintendo do for conferences with press packs where anyone can grab their official release materials from a protected page? Something any user on any forum could use to create anything they wanted? Wouldn't that lessen the potential for them to specifically influence people into creating mere advertising for their products while still allowing for some legitimate "promotion" that inherently comes with any attempt to focus on any product in an OT?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much every single one? Haha! I remember pretty annoyed every time I saw "i will get inside ur mind and take u to a higher level of zen..." at the end of one poster's every single post. God, that was a long time ago.

hamchan

Holy shit, those are some bloated OTs.

I'll easily squeeze the Dragon Age 3 OT into a single page, and probably use less than 5 pictures all-in-all.

In case you didn't know, your DA3 OT will be extremely disappointing if it's just a standard OT. It has to be hilarious like the DA1 and DA2 OTs. So I think a bunch of pictures and gifs would be fine as long as they are funny.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

Lain

I'm gonna miss Tony =(

I hope Amazon will have a deal on Risen 2, since I missed the 13ish € GMG deal (remembered to go to the site the day after it ran out).

In case you didn't know, your DA3 OT will be extremely disappointing if it's just a standard OT. It has to be hilarious like the DA1 and DA2 OTs. So I think a bunch of pictures and gifs would be fine as long as they are funny.

I shall do my best living up to everyone's expectations!

jediyoshi

I actually liked those... it's like a mini encyclopedia of knowledge for the game

without having to go to Wikia

But for someone who's actually interested in going that indepth with it, it'll still never be enough and ultimately be better to go to wikia. Whereas everyone else just has extra space to scroll through and when actually using the post have more to skim through to find relevant information.

inky

I didn't know you could get swag for the OTs. I didn't get shit for doing the Microsoft Flight OP =( I even tried to sound like the game wasn't crap too...

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bloated OTs were really besides the point. I think Evi came down so hard because it was basically putting plans into motion that would allow a publisher PR consortium to control content on the front page. Which probably sounds more sinister than what Tony had in mind, but that's what it appears to be on the surface. At a time when PR control over the press is a hot button issue.

It was the wrong thread in the wrong place at the wrong time from the wrong poster.

Just grabbing a few bits from old STEAM threads
One
Two
Three

I still see people mentioning how, " Gaffers were so hostile to him" before he came back. Fuck that shit. Go into the Steam thread to Advertise sales for Amazon.... Games that didn't even activate on Steam. While you work for Amazon.

If another Gaffer does it. Fine. Hey, they aren't paid to do it, which is where all the difference is. I'm suggesting another place to buy, he is only suggesting his. And that hostility? It was people calling him out on it.

And with this? Lets publicly announce that we are trying to get PR tools. But instead of letting them work it out with Evilore, whom I'm sure has got offers and said no. Lets just to do a side route and go through Amazon. Complete with the, "I hope this isn't bannable". Hinting at he knows he shouldn't have done it that way.

One
Two
Three

I still see people mentioning how, " Gaffers were so hostile to him" before he came back. Fuck that shit. Go into the Steam thread to Advertise sales for Amazon.... Games that didn't even activate on Steam. While you work for Amazon.

If another Gaffer does it. Fine. Hey, they aren't paid to do it, which is where all the difference is. I'm suggesting another place to buy, he is only suggesting his. And that hostility? It was people calling him out on it.

And with this? Lets publicly announce that we are trying to get PR tools. But instead of letting them work it out with Evilore, whom I'm sure has got offers and said no. Lets just to do a side route and go through Amazon. Complete with the, "I hope this isn't bannable". Hinting at he knows he shouldn't have done it that way.

Yea that's...odd to say the least. He knows he shouldn't be doing it, it's clear by what he writes in every post. I appreciate this thread but seeing his posts in the Steam thread especially irked me.

The last 3 could use a little cleaning up, but your first example is everything an OP should be.

I don't want to read an OP with one fucking picture and a paragraph why I should play it and maybe a video link.

I don't know, I absolutely adore the community that gaf has but I'm probably going to have to start seeing what other forums offer. Maybe I'll see what CAGs moderation/rules are, but they probably won't be any different than here or something awful.

This might cheer you up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
One
Two
Three

ib1i4UPqwhWjiS.gif

Tess3ract

Banned
One
Two
Three

I see no problem with this. Steam threads pretty much are the defacto PC GAMING threads, and I check the steam thread more often than any place else. If you're active in steam, you're likely to also be active in wanting deals for other places, whatever you can get.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
One
Two
Three

Look at the dates of those posts, he stopped doing that after some people complained. Don't know why you're bringing this up.

TheExodu5

Banned
One
Two
Three

I'm quite surprised he wasn't banned for that. I guess that was his one chance.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Look at the dates of those posts, he stopped doing that after some people complained. Don't know why you're bringing this up.

I think it's because people still bring up the supposed crucifixion that happened afterward (most recently a week ago in this thread). People love to twist what happened there to fit their own needs, usually demonizing an entire group of people who regular the Steam thread.

Which is funny, because the Amazon deals didn't start gaining traction here until they started offering everything with Steam codes when possible.

But, whatever.

Sucks that Tony had to go out like that, but having been around for that time when the Hudson Marketing guy tried to pass on his job to the forum, I get it.

KissVibes

Banned

Why don't you just request a press-kit, then? At least there's transparency there and no second-guessing a posters intentions. Whether it's giving a user access to assets for the OT or a PR rep making the OT themselves, I'm sure there are many OTs that have been touched by the hands of a PR rep.

OTs by and large are absolutely awful and come off like stealth shilling. Especially for a game that's quality hasn't been determined yet. Not to mention why the hell anyone would call dibs months in advance to make such a thread.

Maybe some of you honest OT creators out there find that hurtful but I'm sorry, you really don't need to go that far with a thread dedicated to a particular video game.

One
Two
Three

God forbid he lets people know of deals for games they're interested in! Not everyone has some stupid allegiance to steam and only buys steam-redeemable games. Nor will everyone see the Amazon thread. Why is there an issue with him letting people know about alliterative sales on games in the Steam thread when a steam sale is happening? Especially when people will be looking in that thread for comments about games being on sale, if they'll go lower, and if they're on sale elsewhere?

You guys are so worried about integrity of this forum and the purity of OTs, maybe it's time to ban community managers and developers? After all, their job is to promote products and they wont do or say anything that harms a product they are involved in so how can they be trusted? Why should we even entertain their posting about products or services they're involved with financially?

But whatever, there are many things I could go on about that doesn't match the message of the mass majority.

I'm quite surprised he wasn't banned for that. I guess that was his one chance.

I don't see what the harm was or why so many members of steam-gaf had a problem with it. That was where most of pc-gaf hung out for gaming news, deals and impressions. People just overreacted because steam was in the thread title. I don't even go in that thread anymore because of how people behave in there if you don't worship gabe and everything steam. It's fucking disgusting.

That said I can understand why Tony got banned for what he posted today, I just don't think he thought it out. It was cool to have a direct line of communication with the dude putting together deals and whatnot.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
God forbid he lets people know of deals for games they're interested in! Not everyone has some stupid allegiance to steam and only buys steam-redeemable games. Nor will everyone see the Amazon thread. Why is there an issue with him letting people know about alliterative sales on games in the Steam thread when a steam sale is happening? Especially when people will be looking in that thread for comments about games being on sale, if they'll go lower, and if they're on sale elsewhere?

It would be okay if it was just a regular poster doing that, but when Tony did it I thought it was a little weird. I mean, I'm not saying I totally stand with the other poster, but it did seem a little off. I was honestly fine with it when they were Steam games on Amazon, but when they had nothing to do with Steam and Tony, a person who works at Amazon, was promoting it... I don't know.

I did like Tony though and the deals he brought us.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The way people are posting you would think that Evilore took Tony out behind the shed and put a bullet in his head.

And then said "cheers this motherfucker."

But seriously, people make it sound like deals are gonna go away now or something. It's bizarre.

iNvid02

The way people are posting you would think that Evilore took Tony out behind the shed and gunned him down.

this made me laugh so much

But seriously, people make it sound like deals are gonna go away now or something. It's bizarre.

a new challenger enters

HI IM TERRENCE AND I REPRESANT GREENMUNGAMING

WE HAVE A LIMITED EDITION 23.8% DISCOUNT CODE:
HERP-DERPISH-SHURPA-BURP

CHEERS
TERRENCE

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The way people are posting you would think that Evilore took Tony out behind the shed and gunned him down.

Cheers Mother Fucker!

Nothing has changed funny enough.

Ploid 3.0

You guys are so worried about integrity of this forum and the purity of OTs, maybe it's time to ban community managers and developers? After all, their job is to promote products and they wont do or say anything that harms a product they are involved in so how can they be trusted? Why should we even entertain their posting about products or services they're involved with financially?

But whatever, there are many things I could go on about that doesn't match the message of the mass majority.

I was shocked at the loyalty of steam only people when I moved to pc. It's like they are playstation 2 only on a PS3 with PS2 backwards compatibility, ok almost. They have all this flexibility of PC and limit themself to steam. First I noticed this when Origin was announced. There was so much hate at EA for possibly taking their games and selling it themselves. It was explained that because EA nearly killed PC gaming they didn't even want to give them a chance. Amazon isn't EA and they even try to get steam redeemable codes, yet they are still the bad guys.

Console war on a single platform.

P.S. I totally understand their OCD, it's just weird. I also understand Howie's condition with being afraid of germs.

The way people are posting you would think that Evilore took Tony out behind the shed and put a bullet in his head.

Some of the deals seemed custom made when he could work on requests. It was like a store being able to get what gamers wanted instead of doing a survey at a Oprah studio. $10 off of Elmo wii games!

KissVibes

Banned
It would be okay if it was just a regular poster doing that, but when Tony did it I thought it was a little weird. I mean, I'm not saying I totally stand with the other poster, but it did seem a little off. I was honestly fine with it when they were Steam games on Amazon, but when they had nothing to do with Steam and Tony, a person who works at Amazon, was promoting it... I don't know.

I did like Tony though and the deals he brought us.

Look at the posts linked.

One guy expresses regret that he missed a deal on NFS. Tony responds that amazon has NFS:HP and Burnout for a cheap price. labels them as non-steam. Second post is letting folks know that they're running a big EA sale. EA games barely go on-sale on steam and some don't even get sold on that platform anymore. Might be good info for steam users to have that they might not have gotten elsewhere. Third post linked and hey, seems people were talking about SSTFAE and a sale for it. Tony mentions Amazon will have it and DR2:OTR on sale. Clearly states it's non-steam.

He didn't mislead anyone. It's not like he was some dude spamming the thread with affiliate links looking to make quick cash. His username clearly labeled him as an amazon employee and he was upfront consistently that they were non-steam versions.

Are you going to argue that he shouldn't try to cut in on Valve's turf by offering alternative deals, some being better than steam, and useful to numerous people who again might have never seen them otherwise? Would it have been better if he asked a user to post them there for him? That would have seem super skeezy to me, personally.

At least with his username and post history, you know he can't be anything but transparent and has backed off when told what he was doing wasn't cool. I think him getting permabanned was a little much but it isn't up to me. All I hope is that the forum integrity and voice of the many is consistent from here on out.

Look at the posts linked.

One guy expresses regret that he missed a deal on NFS. Tony responds that amazon has NFS:HP and Burnout for a cheap price. labels them as non-steam. Second post is letting folks know that they're running a big EA sale. EA games barely go on-sale on steam and some don't even get sold on that platform anymore. Might be good info for steam users to have that they might not have gotten elsewhere. Third post linked and hey, seems people were talking about SSTFAE and a sale for it. Tony mentions Amazon will have it and DR2:OTR on sale. Clearly states it's non-steam.

He didn't mislead anyone. It's not like he was some dude spamming the thread with affiliate links looking to make quick cash. His username clearly labeled him as an amazon employee and he was upfront consistently that they were non-steam versions.

Are you going to argue that he shouldn't try to cut in on Valve's turf by offering alternative deals, some being better than steam, and useful to numerous people who again might have never seen them otherwise? Would it have been better if he asked a user to post them there for him? That would have seem super skeezy to me, personally.

At least with his username and post history, you know he can't be anything but transparent and has backed off when told what he was doing wasn't cool. I think him getting permabanned was a little much but it isn't up to me. All I hope is that the forum integrity and voice of the many is consistent from here on out.

Thank you

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Some of the deals seemed custom made when he could work on requests. It was like a store being able to get what gamers wanted instead of doing a survey at a Oprah studio. $10 off of Elmo wii games!

Yeah, when he made that NFS The Run deal for 10$ happen for me it was truly magical.

Ploid 3.0

Valve's turf is not to be messed with. Steam's strong arm of the PC market must fall, they have too much powa (Kanye's Power theme starts playing for a brief second).

Edit:

Yeah, when he made that NFS The Run deal for 10$ happen for me it was truly magical.

I got it for $5 this weekend. Awesome game at that price, wish they improve on that idea and revisit it when the next console gen comes around. I should have a even better pc by then so it'll be so good!

He pushed for a lot of things gaf asked for. The strategy game stuff that I had no clue about (Crusader Kings pack or something) among other things.

Edit2:

With people being steam only they aren't above turning away a better deal, it probably just take a bigger gap in the price. I wonder how many steam only people got the free EA games. Or the Never using Origin people.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
this made me laugh so much

a new challenger enters
HI IM TERRENCE AND I REPRESANT GREENMUNGAMING

WE HAVE A LIMITED EDITION 23.8% DISCOUNT CODE:
HERP-DERPISH-SHURPA-BURP

CHEERS
TERRENCE
I don't know why, but I can't stop laughing. This fucking post... this is pure gold.

I still love you Tony!

Xanathus

I wonder if this is also the reason that the GMG rep stopped posting on GAF. It probably is a big hassle to have to keep reposting your ad stuff across multiple communities and dealing with their individual rules and restrictions, and he probably understood GAF's rules better and realized it wasn't worth dealing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom