• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon DD Sales Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

statham

sucks, I bought and liked hearing about future deals. He did mention something about a ban so he knew it was risky. oh well. we'll still hear about it from wario64. Wario stay clean.

dani_dc

Are you saying you don't want competition when it helps the consumer? As much as I love steam, I don't want steam to be a monopoly. Anything whatsoever that helps the community and customers is a good thing.

I'm saying that there's an appropriate place for things, and that the Steam thread was not the place for such posts. I would think it would be just as innapproriate for him to go to the Origin thread to post non-Origin deals as well.

HoosTrax

You must be aware that ppl, not just tony, constantly post deals to other store fronts in the steam thread all the damn time.
They post deals that are relevant to the Steam platform, not necessarily Steam store. Posting about games that are relevant to neither on the other hand...

kswiston

I'm saying that there's an appropriate place for things, and that the Steam thread was not the place for such posts. I would think it would be just as innapproriate for him to go to the Origin thread to post non-Origin deals as well.

I heavily disagree. The Steam thread is about saving PC gamers money while enjoying the Steam platform, not ensuring that Valve increases its profits. People mentioned that he really shouldn't post game deals that don't register on Steam in the Steam thread and he stopped doing so pretty quickly. However, if Amazon has a Steam Key cheaper than Steam, who cares if he posts in the Steam thread? We save money AND get to keep our games consolidated on Steam. It's a Win-Win that shouldn't have been discouraged simply because he was affiliated with Amazon. I don't work in the industry, but I was posting D2D and GMG pre-order deals on Steamworks titles in the Steam thread years before Tony ever came to GAF. What's the difference?

The issue that lead to his banning is another matter, and I can understand why Evilore took that action regardless of whether I would have done the same in his place.

On topic, $5 is my buying point for the Darkness 2. Really hope that this Amazon deal hits that threshold. Already passed on $7.50 on GMG earlier. Now that the game has dropped to $30, we'll see $7.50 deals every couple of weeks on at least one of the digital storefronts.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's different, PC is PC. We are talking about store fronts here. I personally don't venture much outside of the PC oriented threads here so I was happy when he and others give the heads up.

You must be aware that ppl, not just tony, constantly post deals to other store fronts in the steam thread all the damn time.

Your argument is pretty weak, no offense.

ON TOPIC hurry up Walking Dead Amazon deal ! :)
Not really, most guys in the Steam thread wouldn't buy a game they could get in Steam somewhere else, even if it was dirt cheap. It's not relative to their interests, the same way a Wii game isn't gonna get a PS3 gamer interested. It's worse when someone posts this stuff in hopes of making a profit, because even with all the best intentions in the world, that's spamming.

And people don't react well to people posting random deals unless it's very specific cases, like games that aren't availeable anywhere else (ME3). But other than that, if it's not redeemable in Steam, it's worthless.

Mairu

Not really, most guys in the Steam thread wouldn't buy a game they could get in Steam somewhere else, even if it was dirt cheap. It's not relative to their interests, the same way a Wii game isn't gonna get a PS3 gamer interested. It's worse when someone posts this stuff in hopes of making a profit, because even with all the best intentions in the world, that's spamming.

And people don't react well to people posting random deals unless it's very specific cases, like games that aren't availeable anywhere else (ME3). But other than that, if it's not redeemable in Steam, it's worthless.

That's not totally true. There's some people who definitely took advantage of some of the uPlay beginning deals that were dirt cheap, and a lot who took advantage of free games on Origin :D

If you were a regular frequenter of this thread before Tony showed up you would know that deal info that was mentioned here rested entirely on Nelo, who wasn't always around, or the few others that bothered to check all the latest posts over there and then take the time to repost them here, which didn't always happen. Personally, I found it to be a breath of fresh air to have him show up and replace the tedious stuff that some of us were having to do. It made it easier for the community here to simply voice their opinions/requests/problems and have an immediate fix by someone who had the power to fix or change things. People had immediate feedback, they will not here in this thread in the future.

Do you actually think that this thread is going to flourish like it had been after this? Even the smaller GOG thread has Minsc to shepherd it along and do the grunt work, and that doesn't even involve direct feedback with GOG. Given the previous state of the thread and the long-term responsibility it would necessarily require, I doubt we will see the same kind of Minsc type commitment by anyone here.

If it's a good deal, it will be posted here or even in a new thread. I check multiple sites every day for deals and if something isn't posted on GAF, I will usually try to post it. Most of the time, someone else already did. Often someone posted the deals here before Tony even showed up because they were on CAG quite a while earlier.

The discussion and direct feedback was nice, but as I said before, just register on CAG and you'll still have exactly that.

Ledsen

Can't believe Tony was stupid enough to post that. This is a gaming forum, at least let us keep up the illusion of not being inundated with PR shills. Permaban was completely justified.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's not totally true. There's some people who definitely took advantage of some of the uPlay beginning deals that were dirt cheap, and a lot who took advantage of free games on Origin :D
It's not the overwhelming majority. I mean, people don't even claim free Desura games.

Cheech

Can't believe Tony was stupid enough to post that. This is a gaming forum, at least let us keep up the illusion of not being inundated with PR shills. Permaban was completely justified.

Somebody even made an OT for that horrendous Medal of Honor game. That is no illusion.

Can't wait for Dark Souls sale. I wish it was today!

Agreed! I'll be out of town on Sunday, hopefully it goes on for a few days so I can catch it.

VandalD

Thought I'd read that the Dark Souls sale is all week long, but I can't find where I read that, so don't take my word for it. Just be happy if it does, I guess.

Me too, I hope there's a surge of new players I can invade :D
Maybe I'll have to read up on this. I've been keeping myself relatively clean of Dark Souls knowledge as to get the full learning experience. Never played Demon's Souls either. But being invaded sounds unpleasant. At least while I'm still a newbie.

Might have to jump in on that. Will I miss much not having played the first?

Wasn't GAF making money off referral links?

This strikes me as absurd.

I asked this question earlier:

Tony,
Most of the links I clicked about Amazon DD sales has CAG's referral in it. Why is there no GAF referrals? Even better why is the thread here weaker?

GAF didn't have referral, and from the attitude never wanted it. GAF and/or Evilore wants to stay out of the money to protect the integrity or innocence of the forum. But honestly I don't know how long this can be protected.

I liked the interaction and believe that some of those deals happened because of the feedback from GAF and CAG. I would like this kind of relations reinforced but getting "Featured Articles" fed by PR on GAF may not be a good idea.
This can work on Reddit or CAG where threads can go up and down quickly but on GAF there is one |OT| and getting it PRed is getting everything PRed. While on most other forums it'll just be another thread and will get what it deserves, or near that since no system is fair, and get a competition.

Also; I have Last Remnant, Just Cause 2 and Hitman Blood Money keys from the last bundle and still willing to give them for their bundle price of 1.5$

zkylon

zkylewd
Maybe I'll have to read up on this. I've been keeping myself relatively clean of Dark Souls knowledge as to get the full learning experience. Never played Demon's Souls either. But being invaded sounds unpleasant. At least while I'm still a newbie.
Don't worry, it's really easy not to get invaded. Just stay in hollow form.

zkylon

zkylewd
Then you can never kindle bonfires. I guess you can try to suicide quickly after or something.
Just go human to kindle bonfires and know that you may be invaded after that. Just saying that the tension is not there 90% of the time because you mostly walk around in hollow form.

VandalD

Don't worry, it's really easy not to get invaded. Just stay in hollow form.
Read up a bit about what hollow form is. I see what you mean. Thanks. Beyond that, I'm fine not knowing what I'm getting myself into. That seems to be what Dark Souls is all about, and I'm all for it.

Don't worry about it, the first one was doody, the second one is pretty cool.
Right on. Thanks. I think I'll nab it.

So I know Dark Souls goes on sale Sunday, but is it Sunday only? Im going to be out of town on Sunday (Im NEVER out of town, I never go anywhere), and would love to get this. I guess if I miss it, Im sure itll be around that price again for the Steam winter sales.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
So I know Dark Souls goes on sale Sunday, but is it Sunday only? Im going to be out of town on Sunday (Im NEVER out of town, I never go anywhere), and would love to get this. I guess if I miss it, Im sure itll be around that price again for the Steam winter sales.

Dark Souls should be a weekly sale. Do you have a smartphone? You can navigate amazon.com full site and order it on the go

It was because of Tony that we even noticed the deals in the first place.

It was because of tony that specific things went on sale.

It was because of tony that he gave out free dlc and EU3 complete to the community among other things.

Just came into the thread after having been away for a while. I saw the post that he got banned for. It seemed like he was asking for peoples opinions about it and that was about it. It seemed harmless, I understand that OT's should be handled via fans and not devs./publishers but I feel he should have just been warned. Seemed an honest mistake. Too bad, I liked Tony, he seemed a really nice guy. O well.

Hopefully, we have some more vigilant GAFfers to keep up with the constantly shifting Amazon sales.

megamerican

Gah I'm so conflicted by this. Tony seemed like a cool guy that listened about sales and had open communication.

His OT proposal was misguided but I don't think it was coming from bad intentions. Still a clear violation of what this site is about.

Still sucks it had to go down this way.

duckroll

Okay, this has gone on long enough, this is not the "Tony banned, omg talk about OTs" thread. We're going to close this thread down, and the next time there is an Amazon DD sale or whatever, someone feel free to create a new thread. Do not create a new thread immediately just for the sake of it, unless there is content relevant to Amazon DD sales. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom