• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon FireTV first party game trailers

bryehn

This all looks passable to me. Could work with the casual PC crowd for sure. If this comes to Canada, I'll buy it for my wife and daughter.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Seems like a half decent start to me plus it already has a big library of games on the Amazon app store already. Then again most of them would probably not work without a touch screen interface so would need patching.

Kolgar

Lots of people dismissing this, but I think Sony, et. al. had better pay attention.

The hardware (a cute little box) is $99 and games are a few bucks, right? And it's backed by Amazon? With graphics that are plenty good enough for the casual crowd?

Yeah, this could be a threat to our established industry players.

Lots of people dismissing this, but I think Sony, et. al. had better pay attention.

The hardware (a cute little box) is $99 and games are a few bucks, right? And it's backed by Amazon? With graphics that are plenty good enough for the casual crowd?

Threat is likely overstepping it. People who want "hardcore" games aren't going to jump on this system, and the casuals have mostly fled the consoles for cell phones and tablets. There is little for consoles to lose from this current iteration.

That said, if Amazon releases a yearly refresh, it could over the course of a few years BECOME a threat to hardcore gamers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nothing in the reel warranted me checking out the separate trailers. Here is Platformer Game and Turn-Based Strategy Game! That is what gamers like, yes?

Good enough for what casual crowd? What crowd is this that would not rather play to the extremes with mobile gaming and/or hardcore gaming, and why haven't they jumped on the Wii U yet?

bobawesome

Sev Zero (launch title that comes free with the controller): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXI898kyBgM

Taste_Like_Shit_by_shadixART.gif

This looks so bad.

I can't put my finger on why it all looks so.... Odd?

Definitely some unique stuff though, with graphic capabilities that are at least passable.

I'll probably get this just to try it out and if they can through some free games in there with my prime membership like PS+ then all the better.

Looks like a 3D0 sizzle reel, except all the fmv backdrops have been replaced and there was no apocolyptic future racer with hood-mounted guns.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I was initially thinking "oh god, with Amazon picking up so much talent recently, this'll be ANOTHER box I'll have to buy!" and especially so with them supposedly making their own 'Halo'.

Then it just all looks like generic garbage to me, so phew?

Only the flat shaded animal thing and maybe that... hover-scooter click adventurey looking one have anything in the realms of competent art design.

Albo

So is oliver and spike no longer releasing on consoles now? It looked very promising from the gameplay vid they showed last year.

I expect the talent they snatched up to be released back into the wild at some point. They will see how the product is viewed by gamers shortly, and will leave for more familiar territory.

edit- Note that I'm saying the developers will leave of their of volition. I'm not saying Amazon will release them and fold up.

Threat is likely overstepping it. People who want "hardcore" games aren't going to jump on this system, and the casuals have mostly fled the consoles for cell phones and tablets. There is little for consoles to lose from this current iteration.

That said, if Amazon releases a yearly refresh, it could over the course of a few years BECOME a threat to hardcore gamers.

I own a PC,WIIU, PS4, XBox One, and have ordered one of these. I'm very serious about games and I believe Amazon can do what Nintendo won't.

I'm looking forward to adding this as an option in my gaming lineup.

Arozay

They even have a low poly, simple texture game for the hipsters.

I'm not American so it'd have to come down to Amazon doing some crazy advertising push for this in places that actually shop there.

And Sev Zero sounds like a New Zealand made prequel for the Civ series.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
While the graphics look really bad on most of these I think (just a guess) that FireTV will have improved annual releases like other tablets and phones so future games might look better than this.

Some of the games look pretty good, but Engadget reported that there is a small amount if input lag both with the remote and gamepad, so I'm going to wait and see. Also, only 8GB of storage, that's just hilariously bad.

Trouble

Banned
Someone at Amazon Game Studios likes Sanctum. They just ripped off that game with Sev Zero.

My first reaction was 'hey I've played this game'. Seems really ripoff-ish, not that Sanctum owns the first person tower defense genre or anything. Just seems like this doesn't bring anything new to the table.

I'm very serious about games and I believe Amazon can do what Nintendo won't.

I'm looking forward to adding this as an option in my gaming lineup.

So your expecting games better than Mario 3d world, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, wonderful 101, wind waker HD, Mario kart 8, smash bros, Nintendo land, donkey kong tropical freeze, X, bayonetta 2, and all of nintendos EShop offerings.

Your serious about games?

Looking dull to me, but I can sort of see the appeal. I think if this takes off we're looking at the end of traditional consoles for casual gaming, no joke. Get Singstar and some other party game stuff on there and they could really make some waves.

Top Bottom