• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon looking to build a second HQ in North America, will add 50k jobs

finalflame

Gold Member
It's going to be Irvine, CA.

Remember this post when they announce it in 2018.

Cost of living in Irvine is already nuts. Not due to Blizzard though, since they underpay like the vast majority of the industry, so no idea who's filling the pockets of Irvine residents.

Cost of living in Irvine is already nuts. Not due to Blizzard though, since they underpay like the vast majority of the industry, so no idea who's filling the pockets of Irvine residents.

Irvine is home to HQ for so many fortune 500s. Blizzard is a nobody in terms of pay in town, you go to work there for the dream, and get paid ~15-20% less than if you worked somewhere else.

Riptwo

I'm rooting for Calgary, and it'd be pretty cool if Nenshi could cement a deal prior to the next election here. Feels like we're pretty outgunned with all of the competition across North America, but I still have hope!

mike6467

While I'll put my money on Boston metro area, the NYT had a big breakdown and while Boston was second, they projected Denver would be first. Denver is alluring. As a software engineer Id love to live there beautiful, lots of colleges, nice city, plenty of room to grow, reasonable prices, etc.

Ugh. If we're at reasonable prices now then I need to find a way to buy more real estate if Amazon goes with Denver. We already have bidding wars and houses going for 10-20% over list from cash buyers. Not just in Denver proper either.

I’ve been hearing rumors about it being built in El Paso

who is going to reloc from seattle to el paso

(relocation considerations have to be a part of the overall review by amazon. That's why I mentioned Denver earlier-it checks off a lot of the boxes you get in Seattle).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Amazon you're so fucking dumb. Build on the fucking Moon! Who is going to tax and monitor you there? Then you can shoot packages from outer space right onto people's front door steps using railguns.

prophetvx

I'm rooting for Calgary, and it'd be pretty cool if Nenshi could cement a deal prior to the next election here. Feels like we're pretty outgunned with all of the competition across North America, but I still have hope!

If they were to set up shop in Canada, Alberta would be the most likely target IMO. High skilled workforce with high unemployment currently, office space is pennies on the dollar currently due to the recession and no corporate tax. Toronto and Vancouver has way too much competition for staffing and much higher operational costs.

Unlikely that it'll happen though, but you never know with the 20% divide in forex currently. I would love to see it come to Calgary, the city is bouncing back, but having a company like that would change the city completely.

KSweeley

It's been reported that Maryland's Governor will be personally lobbying for Baltimore City to get Amazon's second corporate headquarters: http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-hogan-amazon-20170915-story.html

September 15, 2017

Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said he will personally lobby Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos to build the company’s massive new headquarters in Baltimore.

Hogan said he believes pitching Port Covington is the state’s best bet to win the new Amazon campus and its promised 50,000 new jobs.

“We're going to go after it as hard as we possibly can,” Hogan told reporters Friday. “It's going to be a united effort. … This could be transformative, not just for Baltimore City, but the whole state of Maryland.”

The Republican governor said he would help any developer in the state who wanted to bid for the project, but that the waterfront Port Covington development was “the best of the sites that I've seen, and Baltimore City could really use the shot in the arm more than anywhere else.”

Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh, a Democrat, called Hogan’s backing of Port Covington “the right thing to do.”

“I’m grateful the governor saw fit to focus on the Baltimore region and the opportunity this is for us to bring additional jobs to the city,” she said.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Don't know if it's posted but the mayor of Detroit put Dan Gilbert in charge of the pitch to Amazon.

Amazon AND Quicken Loans driving obnoxious white college kids into Detroit?! Dream come true!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

They say they're offering things, they're just not going to give them billions.

Hell, not being desperate could be a good thing in their eyes, too. You know... stable business-friendly governance being on their list.

You know how Bay Area and Seattle became big tech clusters? By embracing the talent, not buying it. If your success is dependent on how much money you're offering, you're not in good shape.

KSweeley

Oh my God traffic around here is already horrendous. Our poor highways can't take 50,000 extra commuters.

True fact, however Governor Hogan did state he would pledge funding for improving transportation within Baltimore City but this transportation improvement plan would not result in reviving the east-west light rail line dubbed the Red Line that Hogan cancelled right before the start of construction: https://www.bizjournals.com/baltimo...throws-his-support-behind-port-covington.html

Gov. Larry Hogan on Friday endorsed Port Covington as the leading site in Maryland for a second Amazon.com Inc. headquarters.

During a brief press conference in downtown Baltimore, Hogan said the state would help boost the bid for Amazon HQ2 with tax incentives and funding pledges for transportation improvements.

He said the Port Covington site, being redeveloped by Sagamore Development Co. under a $5.5 billion project that will include a new global headquarters for Under Armour, was the leading location. Sagamore, owned by Under Armour CEO Kevin Plank, said last week that Port Covington was the "perfect home" for the second Amazon headquarters.

And Friday, the governor agreed.

"I believe this is the best location and Baltimore City could use the shot in the arm," Hogan said

Hogan was asked Friday about possible state incentives for the Amazon HQ2 bid and said the state was willing to help to sweeten the deal.

"No question about it, this is about thousands of new jobs and attracting a new corporate headquarters ... and it is certainly worth the investment of some state dollars," he said.

The focus, Hogan added, would be on producing a stronger transportation link to Port Covington.

"It will be funding on the transportation end possibly in the form of a public private partnership that will also include federal involvement and infrastructure costs," Hogan said.

The governor said reviving the Red Line program for the light rail was not a part of that plan. He nixed that 14-mile, $2.9 billion plan in June 2015 calling it a boondoggle.

Euler007

Here's my pitch for Montreal:
- Large port with several piers and railways connection on the island and also piers on the south shore east of Montreal
- Port can accommodate larger ships than Ontario and the Midwest because they do not have to travel through the locks. Also minor cost savings
- Three airports. The major one on the Island that will be used by most employees and some cargo, another one in Mirabel that is strictly for cargo, and another one on the south shore for private planes
- Enormous available lots right across the street from the port, with highway access, for a fraction of the price of Mississauga
- Additional cheap lots close to the cargo airport
- Cheap electricity, lower cooling loads than most of the rest of America for datacenters
- 170k enrolled university students spread across 11 universities
- Decent amount of office space at a good price
- Great transit system. Subway green line goes from downtown and across the island less than a mile from the docks, stops past the container docks about midway through the petroleum docks
- 50÷ lower housing price than Toronto, 60÷ less than Vancouver. Anyone that moves here from these city will likely become mortgage free in a bigger house
- 100÷ more Carrie Price than Toronto

About the french thing (I'm French Canadian and don't want to detail this thread, but Mike started it)
- Any Canadian that move here from English provinces can send their kids to English school
- Amazon workers that move here under a work permit could obtain a derogation to send their kids to English school. The province could pass legislation as part of their bid to ease this issue
- There's more than enough bilingual people to take care of interactions with local people, which can mostly be done in English anyways
- Learning French as a second language isn't the worse thing in the world. My wife came to Montreal at 16 years old and now speaks four languages perfectly, French being one of them
- Do not be scared of tales spun about Quebec by outsiders

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Evaluating anything as “X thousands per job” is not relevant. If an entirety robotized airport was added to a city and it needed to be operated by one human would we say “that’s X billions for one job!”? Yet it would still lead to an inflow of money and jobs anyway, just not in the airport itself.

leroidys

Evaluating anything as “X thousands per job” is not relevant. If an entirety robotized airport was added to a city and it needed to be operated by one human would we say “that’s X billions for one job!”? Yet it would still lead to an inflow of money and jobs anyway, just not in the airport itself.
It is entirely relevant. What are you talking about?

Gallbaro

Banned
Here's my pitch for Montreal:
- Large port with several piers and railways connection on the island and also piers on the south shore east of Montreal
- Port can accommodate larger ships than Ontario and the Midwest because they do not have to travel through the locks. Also minor cost savings
- Three airports. The major one on the Island that will be used by most employees and some cargo, another one in Mirabel that is strictly for cargo, and another one on the south shore for private planes
- Enormous available lots right across the street from the port, with highway access, for a fraction of the price of Mississauga
- Additional cheap lots close to the cargo airport
- Cheap electricity, lower cooling loads than most of the rest of America for datacenters
- 170k enrolled university students spread across 11 universities
- Decent amount of office space at a good price
- Great transit system. Subway green line goes from downtown and across the island less than a mile from the docks, stops past the container docks about midway through the petroleum docks
- 50÷ lower housing price than Toronto, 60÷ less than Vancouver. Anyone that moves here from these city will likely become mortgage free in a bigger house
- 100÷ more Carrie Price than Toronto

About the french thing (I'm French Canadian and don't want to detail this thread, but Mike started it)
- Any Canadian that move here from English provinces can send their kids to English school
- Amazon workers that move here under a work permit could obtain a derogation to send their kids to English school. The province could pass legislation as part of their bid to ease this issue
- There's more than enough bilingual people to take care of interactions with local people, which can mostly be done in English anyways
- Learning French as a second language isn't the worse thing in the world. My wife came to Montreal at 16 years old and now speaks four languages perfectly, French being one of them
- Do not be scared of tales spun about Quebec by outsiders

No outside large company will every make a large investment in Quebec. The separatists made sure of that.

it'll probably be East coast, my Guess Pennsylvania.

THey recently acquired a old ford plant in twinsburhg ohio and turned that into a fulfilment cetner.

They jsut purchased teh remnants of Randall park mall in warrensville heights ohio and turning that into a fulfilment center.

so My guess would be either in ohio and pennsylvania. equa distance from chicago newyork, pennsylvania being closer and quicker to toronto.

so i'm guessing somewhere in pennsylvania
What about Pennsylvania as a possibility?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Really wish Amazon would consider a Cleveland or Buffalo.

What about Pennsylvania as a possibility?

Pennsylvania (the Keystone State) is at the crossing of Toronto, Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Boston, Buffalo, and Washington.

In terms of location I can't think of a better position than PA.

Top Bottom