• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon looking to build a second HQ in North America, will add 50k jobs

Should do Columbus, Ohio, affordable and up and coming, pretty much one of the only growing cities in the Midwest. Also has a huge number of Universities in the state and of course OSU. Its also a pretty central regional hub 3 hours from Indianapolis, 3 hours from Pittsburgh, 2 hours from Cleveland, 1 1/2 hours from Cincinnati, 3 hours from Detroit/Toledo. Over 2 million population in the metro area now.

seems like Cleveland has roughly as much of a case based on the criteria they've been announcing (with Cleveland's transit system & airport being stronger vs. the population being much smaller). both are about as affordable, both are up-and-coming (though in Cleveland's case it's moreso recent Case and CSU growth than Columbus's more wide-ranged growth)

Fuck it, make it in Oakland ...right between San Fran and San Jose, we got airport and BART ...let's make Bay Area super fucking expensive

Nipo

Do it in OH or FL. 50,000 highly paid amazon and their families should be enough to flip the state blue for good in presidential elections.

Spoken like someone that drinks the Dan Gilbert coolaid.

Detroit has one tiny strip in the middle. The rest of the city remains largely burned out, zombie land. Google is in the suburbs (Novi and Ann Arbor, 30min+ freeway drive away). Microsoft just moved from Southfield to Detroit. There's no public transportation. The Qline is another people mover joke. Car insurance is insane.

Royal Oak/Novi/Ann Arbor/Ferndale/Birmingham/etc are fine cities, but for a company that specifically wants a vibrant urban campus, Amazon would be better off moving to Ann Arbor or Grand Rapids.

As a former Detroiter, I'd have to agree, though the Qline needs to be seen more as the first step of a long, long overdue process for public transportation than anything else. Metro Detroit is a sprawling mess built around the car and the car alone. It's going to take decades to break that, if it's at all possible.

I'm going to throw Columbus into the mix because the Columbus suburbs will give Amazon anything they damn well want in perpetuity for jobs. They already did it once for their new data center in Delaware County; I can see them bending over backwards to build this somewhere like Hilliard or Reynoldsburg or New Albany. Don't be shocked if they get some insane deal around there.

Indianapolis could actually also be in the mix, as it's very similar in some regards to Cbus.

Gitaroo

Edmonton lol, just joking, but there are some nice towers going up in down town. If they can find talents it can be a attractive option here since things are still very cheap and housing price is at it lowest point atm compare to all major cities in the US. Had an job interview with a real estate company recently and they have been putting up warehouses at an insane rate because many international companies decided to store their stuffs here since B.C has gotten way too expensive. Time for our premier, Rachel to do some work if they really mean to diversify AB economy.

Izayoi

Banned
Thank fucking God.

I was almost convinced that Amazon was going to squeeze Seattle until it popped and destroy our city completely.

It will be amazing to have some of the pressure alleviated. Good luck to whichever city ends up with them.

Noobcraft

As I stand in downtown Minneapolis as light rail train bells echo a block away, in the shadow of my Fortune 500 employer's HQ and across the street from another, and within eyesight of 3 others - not to mention the dozen Fortune 500 HQ in a 10 mile radius I can't see, I know you clearly don't know the area.

I mean shit, three of them are retail (Target, Best Buy, Super Value).

Plus a ton of large corporate offices that aren't head quartered here like Amazon would be.
I don't think 94/35 could sustain the increase in traffic without serious work (they already can't sustain it). Sure there's a light rail, but realistically it couldn't serve 50,000 more employees. I don't live in the cities, but I don't live that far out and travel through frequently.

All I'm saying is the city is already has bad traffic issues. Infrastructure would need to be expanded to make the cities a viable spot imo.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Edmonton lol, just joking, but there are some nice towers going up in down town. If they can find talents it can be a attractive option here since things are still very cheap and housing price is at it lowest point atm compare to all major cities in the US. Had an job interview with a real estate company recently and they have been putting up warehouses at an insane rate because many international companies decided to store their stuffs here since B.C has gotten way too expensive. Time for our premier, Rachel to do some work if they really mean to diversify AB economy.

The mayor is putting a bid in.

With the current facility in the NW, I think they'll go SE, S or E...you know where the people are. The Midwest, while viable isn't where the people and thus business is on the whole. The corn isn't buying Amazon products.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Why do they say North America?
Is Canada and Mexico a serious consideration?

I reiterate, Canada has some of the best software devs/schools in the world, world leader in AI research, has good costs and a city like Toronto already has a huuuuuge base of talent to pick from. Amazon regularly tries to hire from the city (I just double checked my linkedIn and I've had recruiters repping amazon at me twice in the last year), and quite a few large tech companies are opening or investing in large (usually AI oriented) software bases in the city.

Canada, and I'd say more specifically Toronto, is a serious, serious contender.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I reiterate, Canada has some of the best software devs/schools in the world, world leader in AI research, has good costs and a city like Toronto already has a huuuuuge base of talent to pick from. Amazon regularly tries to hire from the city (I just double checked my linkedIn and I've had recruiters repping amazon at me twice in the last year), and quite a few large tech companies are opening or investing in large (usually AI oriented) software bases in the city.

Canada, and I'd say more specifically Toronto, is a serious, serious contender.

And I don't want to keep repeating this point, but surely in the current political climate, having your second HQ outside of America and not subject to Trump's whims isn't a bad thing at all.

And I don't want to keep repeating this point, but surely in the current political climate, having your second HQ outside of America and not subject to Trump's whims isn't a bad thing at all.

Not to mention being under a government which has been down in the USA mingling with executives and essentially begging Tech companies for the past couple years to open more shop in Canada to prevent our highly educated base from being forced out of country.

Yes. Within the official bidding guidelines and request documents they make numerous references to "States/Provinces" whenever they are talking about the middle level of governments. They are even helping Canadian cities put together attractive proposals.

With the current facility in the NW, I think they'll go SE, S or E...you know where the people are. The Midwest, while viable isn't where the people and thus business is on the whole. The corn isn't buying Amazon products.

This isn't about where people buy things. That's what distribution centers are for. Corporate jobs can be anywhere so long as they have a talented work force, educational facilities and a large growing population. Minneapolis and Chicago both fit the bill. Please don't be ignorant and assume all the fly over states are just "lol corn". Minneapolis alone is third in the nation to headquarter the most Fortune 500 companies after NYC and Houston.

Neith

Banned
Hmm, I'm very skeptical of a place like Amazon going to where there is snow sometimes for 4 months or more out of the year.

Neith

Banned
That's fair.

Yeah they definitely looking at white upper middle class and everyone know it.

100K average for real though? Or is that in West Coast money? Seems pretty high for some random low tier office job on that end of the spectrum. I bet the bigs get paid a super amount to get that average higher.

I will eat my hat if Amazon picks Ottawa over Toronto lol. Ain't nobody going to do that

Ottawa has a huge tech community out in Kanata and several major corporations. I wouldn't knock them out of the running completely. Same with Montreal. I personally think it will go to Toronto, but you can't take them out of the running that easily.

Nipo

This headquarters won't be finished until after 2020. Only reason they'd pick Canada is if h1b cut backs make it so Canada is easier to get immigrant labor.

grumble

This headquarters won't be finished until after 2020. Only reason they'd pick Canada is if h1b cut backs make it so Canada is easier to get immigrant labor.

Not the only reason, but a big one. Canada's federal government just pushed through a fast track program for tech industry temporary foreign workers, so that they can be in the job in two weeks. This was after pressure from Microsoft in Vancouver. Now roughly 80% of the workers in that office are not Canadian. Amazon may well do the same. Canada's laws are set up in such a way that it is often cheaper to hire foreign workers than domestic ones, and now much easier as well.

Canada does offer public healthcare, lower corporate taxes, a cheaper dollar, and a large urban base and Toronto is on Eastern time, likely a major consideration. Canada is also pretty good at training high quality labour r but pressured by brain drain by its larger southern neighbor to try and find ways to keep that talent in the country.

Toronto does have issues around poor urban planning that make it a less than ideal city for a lot of workers, however - long commutes, expensive housing and a worthless and small minded NIMBY attitude among owners and councillors make it hard to see that changing. Workers moving to Toronto may find better opportunities elsewhere, much like has already happened to a limited degree in finance.

Kieli

Almost 100% guaranteed the new headquarters is in US. Simply too much logistical challenges to have the second headquarters based in Canada (or Mexico) because most of the employees will presumably not be American.

Rookje

My guess will be Denver or Boston.

Please, please, please do not come to Irvine. The housing prices are already insane, and the traffic gets worse every year.

gwarm01

Aww, the mayor of my 200k population city in the south is planning on making a big. Good luck, little buddy, good luck.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Not the only reason, but a big one. Canada's federal government just pushed through a fast track program for tech industry temporary foreign workers, so that they can be in the job in two weeks. This was after pressure from Microsoft in Vancouver. Now roughly 80% of the workers in that office are not Canadian. Amazon may well do the same. Canada's laws are set up in such a way that it is often cheaper to hire foreign workers than domestic ones, and now much easier as well.

Canada does offer public healthcare, lower corporate taxes, a cheaper dollar, and a large urban base and Toronto is on Eastern time, likely a major consideration. Canada is also pretty good at training high quality labour r but pressured by brain drain by its larger southern neighbor to try and find ways to keep that talent in the country.

Toronto does have issues around poor urban planning that make it a less than ideal city for a lot of workers, however - long commutes, expensive housing and a worthless and small minded NIMBY attitude among owners and councillors make it hard to see that changing. Workers moving to Toronto may find better opportunities elsewhere, much like has already happened to a limited degree in finance.

They'll probably in the GTA rather than Toronto proper, places like Mississauga which has a big number of corporations already.

I'd be willing to put some money on it that it will end up being the Metro-Boston area. Amazon already has engineering offices in Boston and Cambridge, it's a hot place to work in tech, Boston competes with California for young engineering talent with its dozens of high performing colleges/universities and some of the best engineering programs in the country (MIT, WPI, Harvard), it's a 6 hour flight London/Paris/West Coast, it's still a reasonably inexpensive area to live in.

50,000 people at one site? Really? Thing is going to be massive.

It probably won't be at one site, but rather they'll have a main campus, and then satellite campuses around the area that might specialize in one thing or another.

Yeah they definitely looking at white upper middle class and everyone know it.

100K average for real though? Or is that in West Coast money? Seems pretty high for some random low tier office job on that end of the spectrum. I bet the bigs get paid a super amount to get that average higher.

Office jobs will not pay $100k, but mid-level engineers would likely be between $100k - $120k. Sr. Engineers are in the $120-$160 range.

I think the Research Triangle (Raleigh-Durham) would be a perfect fit for them actually.

I moved from Seattle to get away from the astronomical cost of living and overall changes in the city thanks to Amazon... they better not come here.

But in reality, it's a decent fit. There's a highly educated and technical workforce already here, there's a lot of land and room for growth (especially out by RTP) and it's fairly temperate.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Bezos-owned Washington Post put out an article last week with a list of 39 cities that could become the home of HQ2: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-headquarters-contest/?utm_term=.f9379c9f5369

This site also did a ranking of eligible cities based on Amazon's requirements: https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon-build-hq2-let-data-decide/

I will eat my hat if Amazon picks Ottawa over Toronto lol. Ain't nobody going to do that

Why is that? Ottawa offers some advantages over Toronto, namely that it has the same quality of living but doesn't have the rage-inducing traffic or the eye watering real estate prices.

Ottawa was the backbone of the internet back in the early 2000s when Nortel had its R&D headquarters here and still has a significant telecom and high tech presence(Apple and Amazon just recently set up shop as well). Even now, the startup scene is thriving, being led by companies like Shopify.

Not saying Ottawa will or should get the new HQ2, but Amazon would do pretty good here.

Canada is quite attractive to a lot of companies right now. We have an extremely educated and talented workforce, comparable to the US, but with lower wages thanks to the exchange rate. We also don't have the same political and immigration instability found in the US.

Stencil

Yeah come to Minneapolis. Or somewhere in the metro-area. We already have a ton of Fortune 500 companies so we can treat u good Amazon. We'll make u hot cocoa in the winter.

Seriously though, MPLS seems like a pretty good candidate and it just so happens I need a job.

I will eat a big ass plate of crow if they choose somewhere in Mexico. Canada I can see happening since they speak English. Foreign engineers are plentiful in the [current US] tech industry and while many Indians speak English, most do not speak Spanish.

From what I've read, Canada has more lax laws on visas, so if anything, it would make most sense to move to Canada

I will eat a big ass plate of crow if they choose somewhere in Mexico. Canada I can see happening since they speak English. Foreign engineers are plentiful in the [current US] tech industry and while many Indians speak English, most do not speak Spanish.

From what I've read, Canada has more lax laws on visas, so if anything, it would make most sense to move to Canada

We also speak English buddy...

The Llama

As much as I'd love to see Amazon come to my hometown of Philly, for the record I'm putting my money on Dallas or Raleigh / Durham. Boston would be 3rd. I am admittedly a bit surprised to see so many people think it'll be Denver. If nothing else, I think it's geographically a little too close to Seattle (I don't think they'll do anything west coast either).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I still think this is Toronto's to lose

It's like Seattle, San Francisco and New York rolled into one.

Top Bottom