• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon looking to build a second HQ in North America, will add 50k jobs

robochimp

Thanks for the little blurb but I know what the rules are when it comes to stakeholders. It changes nothing about what I said.

You do realize wherever they go public infrastructure has to be built right? You also should realize Amazon won't be paying for it or the upkeep of it. Now, you can make the argument that the benefits outweigh the burden and maybe they will but it's hardly guaranteed based on past histories with other companies.

Excluding university systems, whichever state gets the HQ, 50,000 jobs is likely going to make it that state's largest employer.

Excluding university systems, whichever state gets the HQ, 50,000 jobs is likely going to make it that state's largest employer.

Eh, I'd be surprised. UPenn employs almost 40k in Philly. There's gotta be way bigger employers all over. Are universities really that much larger? Also you didnt exclude government agencies

Edit: a cursory look seems to show I am wrong here.

More like a nightmare. I don't want another 50k people to drive up traffic, housing costs even more.

Haha another 50k is nothing considering the population increase within the metro yearly anyway. Also not 50k will be moving since there is already a population to support the job openings.

They could dump it out in one of those areas the silver line is expanding past the airport. Tons of land and mass transit will be there for them. Also that's the tech area of NoVa anyway.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Got an idea to throw Amazon's way. They should make this HQ2 selection process into a mini reality tv show series to put up on Amazon prime video. Each episode will air weekly with different city's pitch and so on. The city mayor will probably put together a package and whatnot that can be put into each episode. Then the last episode, Amazon will make the decision and choose the city The Apprentice style. Would love to see each mayor getting told "You're fired" or a variation of that haha! This would make them so much money in the process!

blanchot

i cycle past an amazon warehouse daily. the sq/m of it is quite unreal. you'd easily get lost in it. In fact, you could live in it, like Tom hanks in 'the terminal'.

Canada would be interesting, if only to see if Amazon would start from Canadian developer compensation or pay more and start to move Canadian developer compensation to closer to the US. Right now American developers generally get paid much more, even in high COL Canadian cities.

Combing through most reactions on the web it appears the top "fit" (culture, cost of living, universities, size, airport, tech scene, etc.) not considering the tax offerings appear to be:

1. Houston, Texas (Massive + Central Location + Access to Key Universities + Bonus points for close proximity to Whole Foods in Austin)
2. Toronto, Canada (I think this illogical given logistics of travelling internationally for all employees in Seattle)
3. Charlotte/Research Triangle, North Carolina (East Coast + Bubbling Tech Scene + Very Low Cost of Living)
4. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (East Coast + Low Cost of Living + Proximity to Major Cities + Encouraging Exploratory Tech)
5. Minneapolis, Minnesota (Health + Retail + Low Cost of Living + Very Liberal)

Less buzz but still interest: Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas/Fort Worth, Pittsburgh, Boston

LOL good luck: Denver, Kansas City, Anywhere in Florida

robochimp

I would put Southeastern Wisconsin on the list as they could easily piggyback onto the infrastructure deal for the Foxconn plant.

ElNino

Combing through most reactions on the web it appears the top "fit" (culture, cost of living, universities, size, airport, tech scene, etc.) not considering the tax offerings appear to be:

2. Toronto, Canada (I think this illogical given logistics of travelling internationally for all employees in Seattle)
Travelling between the US and Canada is simple, many people do it every day. If you're talking about specifically travelling from Seattle to Toronto, well that would be no different than travelling to any other east coast city.

You would also need to consider that bringing international employees from other countries into Canada might be easier than to the US given the current travel situation there.

Travelling between the US and Canada is simple, many people do it every day. If you're talking about specifically travelling from Seattle to Toronto, well that would be no different than travelling to any other east coast city.

You would also need to consider that bringing international employees from other countries into Canada might be easier than to the US given the current travel situation there.

It's still an international flight which requires customs, no? I'm sure people do it all the time but that's a huge pain in the ass.

Kicko

I'd like to vouch for Buffalo, NY.

Low cost of living, strong universities, burgeoning tech scene, logistics advantage/close proximity to the border and major cities, health, access to fresh water, etc.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
I think it would be Texas or the Midwest. Not old established cities. They just can't compete. Texas would exempt taxes and build roads to accomodate and TX has the land for a clean slate complex to be built.

ElNino

It's still an international flight which requires customs, no? I'm sure people do it all the time but that's a huge pain in the ass.
Sure, but it's not much of a hassle if you are only going for a short business trip. It's not like that many employees would be travelling back and forth every day.

ezrarh

Denver would be a good fit but I'm not keen on giving these massive companies subsidies, especially to build a giant corporate campus. Amazon looks good now but look at what happened to Detroit. I'd rather have 500 companies with 100 employees.

technically yes, but in reality no, people see it as "Latin" America
From the article:
“The fact that Amazon is even considering Canada and Mexico shows how important politics has become in the site-selection process,” said John Boyd, a Princeton, N.J.-based location consultant whose clients include Boeing, Chevron and JPMorgan Chase. “This is a high-profile search, and Amazon has an incredible amount of wherewithal to influence state and federal legislation.”
So Amazon is actually considering Mexico in this instance. Guadalajara would be perfect though, tech capital of Mexico and it shames me to say this but we got the lowest wages too which would be a huge factor I presume.

Apath

Chicago should tear down that old post office they just started renovating and give the land to Amazon.

I'd like to vouch for Buffalo, NY.

Low cost of living, strong universities, burgeoning tech scene, logistics advantage/close proximity to the border and major cities, health, access to fresh water, etc.

My selfish vote as well.

And I have to feel they're going to go east coast usa/.ca or mexico. Won't go midwest.

Neith

Banned
Apparently, every town in America is full of young talent and Amazon should come to those towns right now. LOL.

I'm sorry but why are people listing their town's "accurate" details in here? Are you hoping somehow someone on GAF is going to put in a good word for your town lol? I'm not following here. This thread is super weird.

I'd like to vouch for Biloxi. Come smell the Ocean Amazon.

Sure, but it's not much of a hassle if you are only going for a short business trip. It's not like that many employees would be travelling back and forth every day.

It's not just employees. Think about how many vendors, AWS customers, clients, etc. visit the campus on a regular basis. Your forcing a lot of these people to now do unnecessary international travel.

Zoe

1. Houston, Texas (Massive + Central Location + Access to Key Universities + Bonus points for close proximity to Whole Foods in Austin)

Half the city was just under water though, and everybody's pointing their fingers to the concrete jungle that Houston has become.

Maybe VA close to DC? They have the most AWS sites located in there and they can find a ton of skilled engineers and other professionals around that area

Ryuuroden

Should do Columbus, Ohio, affordable and up and coming, pretty much one of the only growing cities in the Midwest. Also has a huge number of Universities in the state and of course OSU. Its also a pretty central regional hub 3 hours from Indianapolis, 3 hours from Pittsburgh, 2 hours from Cleveland, 1 1/2 hours from Cincinnati, 3 hours from Detroit/Toledo. Over 2 million population in the metro area now.

Mr.Mike

What would Quebec's language laws mean for a new, large HQ of an American company? If transplants from the US can't send their kids to English speaking schools there is absolutely zero chance of it being Montreal.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If it were to be in Texas I don't think Austin would work. Can't imagine an HQ of that size functioning in the already bursting at the seams city. If it's in Texas my money would be on a DFW or San Antonio suburb. San Antonio has more space, close to Austin for tech talent, and has a decent amount on its own, with plenty of suburbs and infrastructure. DFW is the same but a bit farther from the talent in Austin.

Counterpoint: San Antonio has a shitty small airport.

Dallas is most likely, Austin 2nd most.

I'd assume Memphis or Atlanta.

This right here, Memphis allows for strategic partnering with FedEx, a dramatically cheaper cost of living, a ton of space to offer for headquarters/additional warehouses, and it's a very liberal city (albeit in a very conservative state). This liberal values and ethic is largely why I would leave Nashville off the table.

Atlanta buys them a larger city to recruit "to" BUT it brings with it some of the same problems they already have.

Dark horse would be a city like New Orleans or a Canadian city (like Montreal).

Zoe

This right here, Memphis allows for strategic partnering with FedEx, a dramatically cheaper cost of living, a ton of space to offer for headquarters/additional warehouses, and it's a very liberal city (albeit in a very conservative state). This liberal values and ethic is largely why I would leave Nashville off the table.

Would that really be a factor though? They're not looking to build another hub.

What would Quebec's language laws mean for a new, large HQ of an American company? If transplants from the US can't send their kids to English speaking schools there is absolutely zero chance of it being Montreal.
There are English schools, but by default, most companies would have to be bilingual, or at least encourage employees and ensure hiring processes fully support either language of employee's choice.

Mr.Mike

There are English schools, but by default, most companies would have to be bilingual, or at least encourage employees and ensure hiring processes fully support either language of employee's choice.

American immigrants wouldn't be allowed to send their children to English schools.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Quebec#Language_in_schools

Quebec has publicly funded French and English schools. In primary and secondary schools, according to the Charter of the French Language, all students must attend a French language school, except:

students to whom a parent did most of their elementary or secondary studies in English in Canada and the parent is a Canadian citizen
students who have already done all or most of their elementary or secondary studies in English in Canada, or who have a sibling who has received most of their education in English in Canada, as long as a parent is a Canadian citizens

realwords

My money's on Austin, Texas (tax exemptions + Whole Foods HQ) or Atlanta (tax exemptions, lower COL, southeast talent pool).

Would that really be a factor though? They're not looking to build another hub.

I agree, especially since hey already have a warehouse in Tennessee, I was talking more on the fact that most companies in Memphis use proximity to FedEx to drive lucrative shipping deals (even when they don't have a mfg/shipping presence in the city)

Pyrokai

Should do Columbus, Ohio, affordable and up and coming, pretty much one of the only growing cities in the Midwest. Also has a huge number of Universities in the state and of course OSU. Its also a pretty central regional hub 3 hours from Indianapolis, 3 hours from Pittsburgh, 2 hours from Cleveland, 1 1/2 hours from Cincinnati, 3 hours from Detroit/Toledo. Over 2 million population in the metro area now.

And going to keep growing regardless of Amazon. Easy airport access. Highly educated population. Amazon already has a small presence. Plenty of prime downtown real estate. It would be a great choice.

Noobcraft

3. Charlotte/Research Triangle, North Carolina (East Coast + Bubbling Tech Scene + Very Low Cost of Living)
4. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (East Coast + Low Cost of Living + Proximity to Major Cities + Encouraging Exploratory Tech)
5. Minneapolis, Minnesota (Health + Retail + Low Cost of Living + Very Liberal)

Less buzz but still interest: Chicago, Los Angeles, Dallas/Fort Worth, Pittsburgh, Boston

LOL good luck: Denver, Kansas City, Anywhere in Florida
I don't think Minneapolis has the infrastructure to support a huge company like Amazon. The roads and traffic are awful enough as it is.

I don't think Minneapolis has the infrastructure to support a huge company like Amazon. The roads and traffic are awful enough as it is.

Does any city with a talent base have room for another huge company's-worth of commuters? Car-centric urban planning kind of fails at scaling.

Top Bottom