• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon, Ronald Moore and Cranston Creating Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Geekexchange: Bryan Cranston Will Bring Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams to Series

Electric Dreams will be an anthology series, with each episode adapting a different short story by author Philip K. Dick, and will include a roster of established writers for various episodes, including Dee Rees, who wrote and directed HBO's Bessie; Tony Grisoni (Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas); Jack Thorne (Harry Potter And The Cursed Child); Matthew Graham (Life On Mars); David Farr (The Night Manager); and Travis Beacham (Pacific Rim), as well as Moore himself, and Michael Dinner, who also serves as executive producer.

Seems this long in development passion project of Cranston's finally found itself a home and seems to finally be going into full production. Its been around a couple different networks before landing at Amazon including AMC who passed on the series. No release date or much info except its Amazon's second series (Man in the High Castle is the first) based of Phillip K Dick's work and it will be an anthology series based on several of his short stories.

BTW Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is the short story that the Ridley Scott/Harrison Ford movie Blade Runner is loosely based on.

Sounds interesting but its hard to see what new places this could go considering we've got Westworld, Humans, Almost Human (RIP), BSG, Black Mirror, and Bladerunner movie sequel all revolving around AIs and robots.

epmode

Welp, I'm in. Sounds like a dream project.
Sounds interesting but its hard to see what new places this could go considering we've got Westworld, Humans, Almost Human (RIP), BSG, Black Mirror, and Bladerunner movie sequel all revolving around AIs and robots.

It's an anthology series based on PKD's short stories. They're certainly not all about robots or AI.

Fuzzery

There seem to be so many new shows based on books these days, with netflix and amazon churning out a lot of content. It's great.

Will see how the reviews are

Philip K. Dick is my favorite author so this sounds amazing.

A lot of Dick's works have been adapted but almost always there are usually drastically changed.

A Scanner Darkly by Linklater is the most faithful.

I have seen any of the High Castle even though I have Prime. How well does it keep the spirit of the book? I think the whole I Ching thing could be expanded on in a series.

Can't wait for this! Love Philip K. Dick, he's one of my favourite authors, and all parties involved are high quality acts so this should be amazing.

HStallion

There seem to be so many new shows based on books these days, with netflix and amazon churning out a lot of content. It's great.

Will see how the reviews are

There is also an anthology series based on the works of HP Lovecraft in production now though we don't know much about it. Hopefully we can get an Asimov or Heinlein series next

Not sure how I feel about an anthology of PKD short fiction adaptations.

A lot of his short fiction would make for pretty good 20-30 minute episodes, i suppose. But, I've always preferred his novels.

I'd love a Fargo-like series of mini-series, each based on different PKD novels.

fenners

PKD's stories are far from focused on AI & robots. The guy was a phenomenal writer, with a great body of work that's hardly been touched, even with all the big film translations. This has a ton of potential.

Kayhan

Oooooh I like the sound of that!

There is also an anthology series based on the works of HP Lovecraft in production now though we don't know much about it. Hopefully we can get an Asimov or Heinlein series next

HBO presents Isaac Asimov's Foundation.

Total Recall 2070 sorta already was Blade Runner the series. Wasn't half bad, disappointed it never made it past its first season.

Dope. I've been waiting for Ron Moore to return to sci fi again for a while now. Excited to see this but especially his episode

Jedi2016

Once again I'm reminded of the inexplicable lack of a "Complete Phillip K Dick" collection. It's ridiculous. Even if I just want to read the popular ones that got movies made out of them, I have to buy like five books.

HStallion

Wonder if we'll see the series adapt stories that already got movie versions like A Scanner Darkly?

fenners

Once again I'm reminded of the inexplicable lack of a "Complete Phillip K Dick" collection. It's ridiculous. Even if I just want to read the popular ones that got movies made out of them, I have to buy like five books.

You got to remember, PKD wrote a ton of stuff. There's, what, 110-120 short stories published and 40+ novels. That'd be a pretty damn thick Complete edition.

The various "Collected Stories Of" do a pretty good job of the short stories over five volumes, though there's some weirdness between editions between publishers. There's always a bunch of PKD collections (between short stories & novels) at my local Half Price Books. But a definitive one would be tough.

Amazon is firing on all cylinders with their original series. MitHC is quite bad, unfortunately, but I've been enjoying Red Oaks, Sneaky Pete and Mozart in the Jungle a lot, and I'm glad Cranston is collaborating with them instead of AMC. Haven't tuned into that channel since Mad Men's series finale, and nothing they've produced since has made me regret that.

Philip K. Dick Library of America Collection

9781598530490.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Philip-K-Dick-Collection/dp/1598530496/ref=reader_auth_dp

13 of his best novels for $65. $5 a novel.

Also adapted to movies does not equal his best to famous novels. Several of his famous or best novels remain unadapted while several lesser works have been adapted.

Dude wrote a lot of stories.

You got to remember, PKD wrote a ton of stuff. There's, what, 110-120 short stories published and 40+ novels. That'd be a pretty damn thick Complete edition.

The various "Collected Stories Of" do a pretty good job of the short stories over five volumes, though there's some weirdness between editions between publishers. There's always a bunch of PKD collections (between short stories & novels) at my local Half Price Books. But a definitive one would be tough.

Yup. Despite his early death dude wrote a crazy amount of stuff.

Wonder if we'll see the series adapt stories that already got movie versions like A Scanner Darkly?

It's specifically short stories being adapted. Also considering how poor many adaptions are I welcome it. A Scanner Darkly is one work of his that need not be adapted again.

In fact get Linklater to do another adaptation. Dude even had a section on Dick in Waking Life.

Anthology huh. I think even Cranston fans are about to be surprised by his range.

His biggest roles are Walt and Hal. Those are two extremes.

Kelpie

Sounds like it could be great. Maybe I'll finally get an adaptation of "The Days of Perky Pat" that I've always hoped for. :p

It's my favorite PKD short story.

PolishQ

BTW Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is the short story that the Ridley Scott/Harrison Ford movie Blade Runner is loosely based on.

That's a novel, not a short story. But Minority Report and Total Recall were based on short stories. Not to mention Paycheck (crappy movie, awesome short story).

Sulik2

Get ready for even more. Fiction is starting to reflect societal trends which are heading heavily towards robotics and AI. Its only natural we will see even more of these types of stories showing up.

epmode

Yeah, it's especially tough to get all of his short stories on Kindle. Drives me nuts.

It would be...something to have a complete collection. I mean, guy wrote a massive amount of short stories and books, and honestly, not all of them are that great. This probably your best bet, kind of a greatest hits deal:

https://www.loa.org/books/311-the-philip-k-dick-collection-3-volume-boxed-set

EDIT: Totally missed that it was covered above, oops.

Busty

Banned
Actually the UK's Channel 4 and Sony Pictures Television are bringing this to the small screen. I believe that Amazon just bought the international distribution rights.

*cough*

HStallion

Actually the UK's Channel 4 and Sony Pictures Television are bringing this to the small screen. I believe that Amazon just bought the international distribution rights.

*cough*

Is it? The article said otherwise but when I was looking this story up I didn't see a ton of other stories and some were in other languages. Is there any other word on this, I'll add it into the OP.

Busty

Banned
Is it? The article said otherwise but when I was looking this story up I didn't see a ton of other stories and some were in other languages. Is there any other word on this, I'll add it into the OP.

Apologies, I stand corrected. Channel 4 are no longer involved.

http://deadline.com/2017/02/philip-...s-amazon-ron-moore-bryan-cranston-1201911194/

Electric Dreams, a passion project for those involved, had a lengthy road to the screen. It had been in development at AMC and Channel 4. When Channel 4 was ready to give the project a green light last spring, AMC opted not to go along.

Being already the home of Dick adaptation The Man in the High Castle, Amazon always was considered a great fit for Electric Dreams. I hear the streaming service was close to picking up the series at the end of last year but opted not to go through with it amid the controversy surrounding Amazon's cancellation of the Sony TV-produced freshman drama series Good Girls Revolt. Electric Dreams was put back on the marketplace, eventually landing at Amazon again.

No..., wait. Is Channel 4 still in? The Deadline article isn't super clear about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom