• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon UK's top 10 best-selling games of all time (15 years of data collected)

UrbanRats

Elsewhere across Amazon's product range, Adele's '21' is the retailer's top-selling album, Mamma Mia! the best-selling DVD, and dirty novel Fifty Shades of Grey is the top selling book.

Much weirder than that games list.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
What a diverse and unique list.

List is beyond pathetic.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how many people were buying games from Amazon 15 years ago? that'll probably skew towards more modern titles as more people buy online.

Still, GTAV being in the top ten (let alone so high) is pretty amazing.

15 years of data collected but only games from the past 4 years. Which shows that buying games online has become a big thing these days.

Zumba stands out. You'd have thought something like Mario Kart Wii or Wii Fit would have been there instead of it.

I find it amusing that people are so quick to be all "lol UK", when the chances of their country's mainstream buying habits being better are slim to none.

*LOL*

I'm Canadian and I can say with 100% certainity that Amazon.ca list is probably

4 versions of Call of Duty, GTA V and 3-4 cpies of EA's NHL.

The only countries I think *MIGHT* be different are any countries that the EA sports title don't target.

Brazil for example...the Call of Duty titles are there but would FIFA be there since none of the FIFA titles actually have any South American teams.

Now..NEXT year, FIFA is going to go stratospheric since FIFA 2014 actually has licensed the top 14 teams from both Brazil and Argentina. (I fully expect EA to own South America in terms of sales...if you think Europeans are crazy about football, you haven't seen South American fans)

Bumhead

Banned
I wonder what a US equivalent list would look like?

Given the "lol UK" comments I'm sure there wouldn't be a single Call of Duty or Madden title up there.

Some Nobody

I find it amusing that people are so quick to be all "lol UK", when the chances of their country's mainstream buying habits being better are slim to none.

Chances are most people saying lol UK are from the UK. I'd hope, at least. Amazon US won't look any different--perhaps you swap FIFA for Madden.

Not surprised by that list at all apart from 10. Those games have definitely been the games most people have talked about over the last 3 or 4 years at work and school.

Linkyn

This is so sad. Why is the general gaming population not looking for a more diverse experience?

Edit: Not too surprising, though. Outside of my established gaming circle, 9 out of 10 people will take the conversation right to CoD or FIFA when I tell them that I'm a gamer.

This table doesn't suggest where most people bought the game from. It's possible that most people bought the same deals you did.

It's a list of the top 10 games sold on Amazon.co.uk, isn't it?

The list doesn't surprise me in the slightest, minus Zumba. The article specifically mentions the Wii version; are the sales of that game primarily for that console? It had a PS3 and Xbox 360 release too, right?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I own zero of these games, one might think I'm not playing games at all :D. Moreover, if I had to play any of these games, it'd be Zumba. Beat me ;).

Addnan

Popular games sell the most, not sure why anyone would expect niche games. Probably similar list in most countries..

Zafir

It's a list of the top 10 games sold on Amazon.co.uk, isn't it?

The list doesn't surprise me in the slightest, minus Zumba. The article specifically mentions the Wii version; are the sales of that game primarily for that console? It had a PS3 and Xbox 360 release too, right?
Zumba Fitness for the Wii was top of the UK charts for months on end if I recall. Was crazy.

Dabanton

Interesting to see that that MW2 stands supreme. That was also the last game IW in their original guise worked on before most of the team left and became Respawn. Seems they did have the midas touch. Something that you can feel when playing Titanfall...

Also wow at GTAV to think that game has only been out since mid September.

Games with actual effort put into them. GTA5 is fine, but stuff like Naughty Dog/Nintendo games deserve to be there more than anything else.

How the hell do you decide what game has effort put into it?

I can say I played most of the games on that list and they did what they were meant to do entertain me.

CoDSlayer09

Neo Member
I was expecting all FIFA. What a surprise.

That is a horribly stereotypical response. Just because the UK follows a sport closely in reality with a lot of hype (like US football) doesn't mean that they are/should be best sellers or be any different than places like the US. Are you also saying that you would have expected the US to have all of the top 10's being Madden or NFL games? Use your brain.

RaikuHebi

Banned
That is a horribly stereotypical response. Just because the UK follows a sport closely in reality with a lot of hype (like US football) doesn't mean that they are/should be best sellers or be any different than places like the US. Are you also saying that you would have expected the US to have all of the top 10's being Madden or NFL games? Use your brain.
Pretty sure he was joking.

Metalmarc

I own 1-8 On the ps3

*Hangs head in shame* so i have contributed to this
Although with the cods I've waited for sales and second hand copies

Top Bottom