• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD | Bulldozer, Fusion, AM3+, FM1, and What's To Come

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
a176 said:
well now.
Already knew that. Even posted in the thread about it.
You could see the CPU-Z screen on their video with 1 core and 1 thread listed.

Surprised Scott put that in Italics. He is usually very level headed. Probably upset about BD. :[

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Overclockers review is up. Probably the only positive review.
Mainly because they put LN2 on it and got 7.6Ghz out of it. 7.5Ghz Pi run too.

http://www.overclockers.com/amd-fx-8150-bulldozer-processor-review

My 2500K at 4.2Ghz pulls 9.3 seconds. I know it is a bad parallel and an old bench but... man.
qdEYk.jpg

Cipherr

TheExodu5 said:
Here is the worst case scenario:

41701.png

And a game more people care about:

41703.png

AMD still can't pull off 60fps in SC2. For shame.

Jesus what in the hell. What took so long then? I was hearing Bulldozer last year around this time wasnt I? I didnt expect them to equal SB, but this gap is uncomfortably larger than it should be IMO.

Reallink said:
Welp, I expect SB-E's and IB will enjoy a 10-30% price increase now. Thanks AMD.

Well IB to be sure now. With this rift, there is zero chance of 'competitive' pricing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cipherr said:
Jesus what in the hell. What took so long then? I was hearing Bulldozer last year around this time wasnt I? I didnt expect them to equal SB, but this gap is uncomfortably larger than it should be IMO.

Well IB to be sure now. With this rift, there is zero chance of 'competitive' pricing.
It is slower in single thread apps than Phenom II. They went this route because they should have had a 4Ghz+ clock speed to make up for that loss, but it didn't turn out that way.

Wow, AMD. Wow... absolutely humiliating. Well, at least you have your APU to work on... might as well make those the best in the world and become the Intel of the netbook market.

Broseybrose

Having just picked up a Core i5 and 6GB of RAM for my 8800GTX that I'm still rocking hard, I'm feeling pretty good about my choice. Just pick up a 570 on sale one of these days and Ive got an excellent modern rig. :] Even more excellent than the rig I built in '07 (when I bought that 8800GTX and 24" LCD).

It's funny seeing the difference in games going from Athlon 64 X2 5000+ and 2GB RAM to Core i5 and 6GB, all with the same GPU. What an overall difference. EVERYTHING IS FASTER, including games, which came as a bit of a surprise... even though I've known that I was CPU limited since '07, I didnt realize what a difference a CPU makes in games.

Cipherr

Hazaro said:
It is slower in single thread apps than Phenom II. They went this route because they should have had a 4Ghz+ clock speed to make up for that loss, but it didn't turn out that way.

Ohhh Ok, yeah I was just reading more of the Anand article and they mentioned this a bit. That makes me feel a little better about it. Not going to buy one, but at least they weren't aiming for this mediocrity, they just hit a setback.

Manp

oh ffs amd, get your shit together! this is ridiculous :(

Hazaro said:

it worked well enough with NetBurst... oh wait!

From the Anandtech review:

Accurate branch prediction is particularly important in architectures with deep pipelines as a mispredict causes more instructions to be flushed out of the pipe. Bulldozer introduces a significantly deeper pipeline than its predecessor (more on this later), and thus branch prediction improvements are necessary.

Shades of Pentium 4.

Zep

Banned
Grabbing the 2500K for $189 seems like a good decision now. Was really looking forward to this taking over for my 965BE at one point.

demigod

Izayoi said:
Well now, don't we look awfully silly.

What's funny is , he linked a post with some dude who's not NDA'd on ars forum saying how good it is compared to i5, yet the guy wasn't allowed to say which version it was??? /boggle.

MCD

RaijinFY said:
Well you can still take a Phenom II.
I am uneducated lazy bastard or in other words, I need someone to make me a long ass list of what parts to buy.

Motherboards, GPUs, etc... the boring stuff. I am only good at clicking that "BUY" button.

What I am afraid of though is if I went the Phenom route then I can't upgrade to a Bulldozer later on (incompatible motherboards?).

MCD said:
I am uneducated lazy bastard or in other words, I need someone to make me a long ass list of what parts to buy.

Motherboards, GPUs, etc... the boring stuff. I am only good at clicking that "BUY" button.

What I am afraid of though is if I went the Phenom route then I can't upgrade to a Bulldozer later on (incompatible motherboards?).

Am3+ is backward compatible i have a 955 in a AM3+ board.

Kanyon

jonremedy said:
Yep, this really is AMD's Pentium 4 moment.

I just read the AnandTech review, and I'm pretty much up shit creek without a paddle... Was banking on AMD delivering the goods as I have an Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard, 8Gb of DDR3 RAM, three new hard drives, new case and new monitor ready to roll for my new build.

Been stuck using a fucking netbook for the last three weeks since my old rig kicked the bucket. I guess the big decision now is I'm either on the hunt for a 975BE or 1100T CPU to finish this build OR take the plunge anyway and go the FX-8150 regardless.

Thoughts?

MCD

That's an awesome guide though I'd love to get a AMD Phenom instead of Intel.

Intel is king but I want a change this time around even if it is for the worse.

Fucking AMD. :(

Cipherr

Kanyon said:
I just read the AnandTech review, and I'm pretty much up shit creek without a paddle... Was banking on AMD delivering the goods as I have an Asus Sabertooth 990FX motherboard, 8Gb of DDR3 RAM, three new hard drives, new case and new monitor ready to roll for my new build.

Been stuck using a fucking netbook for the last three weeks since my old rig kicked the bucket. I guess the big decision now is I'm either on the hunt for a 975BE or 1100T CPU to finish this build OR take the plunge anyway and go the FX-8150 regardless.

Thoughts?

May as well go in IMO. Screw it, get the 8150.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MCD said:
That's an awesome guide though I'd love to get a AMD Phenom instead of Intel.

Intel is king but I want a change this time around even if it is for the worse.

Fucking AMD. :(
You can pick up a 990 board and a Phenom now.

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition

Though you can get a 2500K with a Z68 board at that price which will beat it in most common tasks and upgrade (most likely) to Ivy Bridge. AMDs new CPUs are a waaaaaaaays away.

MCD

Hazaro said:
You can pick up a 990 board and a Phenom now.

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition

Though you can get a 2500K with a Z68 board at that price which will beat it in most common tasks and upgrade (most likely) to Ivy Bridge. AMDs new CPUs are a waaaaaaaays away.
Will 990FX motherboards do?

Like this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4001#ov

And I have two silly questions:

Can you install SSDs on these?
And is there a mobo with two ethernet? I kinda need a secondary one for VPN stuff but it is no necessary, I could always do with Wifi.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
990FX just adds 2x PCI-E x16 support which is super overkill iirc.
Yes SSD.
No dual Ethernet I can easily find.

MCD said:
Will 990FX motherboards do?

Like this: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4001#ov

And I have two silly questions:

Can you install SSDs on these?
And is there a mobo with two ethernet? I kinda need a secondary one for VPN stuff but it is no necessary, I could always do with Wifi.

Why you care going with AMD if their product is clearly inferior in every way for gaming?

You said that you don't know much about pc, so is it just because you prefer the AMD logo?

You are wasting your money.

MCD

Hazaro said:
990FX just adds 2x PCI-E x16 support which is super overkill iirc.
Yes SSD.
No dual Ethernet I can easily find.
Great. Thanks bro.

Principe Nero said:
Why you care going with AMD if their product is clearly inferior in every way for gaming?

You said that you don't know much about pc, so is it just because you prefer the AMD logo?

You are wasting your money.
Well, it's my money.

And I am not into PC gaming. Just wanted an upgrade from my old ass dual core Intel and wanted to go the AMD route this time around.

One again, thanks Hazaro. I owe you one.

Wait, did that review seriously say Bulldozer has a 440W power draw when OCed? What kind of heat does it put out? Christ.

Is it too late for me to say I told you so, like again? I mean, I posted on the first page of this thread months and months ago that you'll be disappointed and AMD's "8 cores" isn't really 8 cores. Some people even thought to attack me personally a page or two back with hilarious results. Those personal attacks sure look great now! Well, enjoy your crow!

KKRT00

I dont get one thing, what is with turbo mode after OC? :>
If I overclock 8150 from 3.6 to 4ghz, do the Turbo Mode scales up too, or its just overclock option for 'dummies' for stock clock? :>
And do we have full control over cores and turbo mode [in windows environment] or its all automated?

n0n44m

now I kinda want one just to see how hot it gets on my setup -_-

haven't looked at all reviews yet just woke up :p anyone seen some real overclock numbers? Most reviews seem to do 4.5ish on air?

Overclockers.com mentioned going 4.75ghz 24/7 with a 3*120 radiator "which was higher than they realized on Sandy Bridge" but they don't compare that to a overclocked SB (and I think everyone with watercooling should get 4.8 out of SB :p )

fake edit: just saw the overclocking stuff in the final page of HardOCP part 1 review ... 4.5 max with a H100 and even that wasn't 100% stable? ouch -> real edit: ok that was a 8120

so the only "positive points" I can discover so far is that it does well on LN2 and the x264 encoding 2nd pass performance is pretty good ... and it's somewhat cheaper than a 2600K ofcourse. Well guess it is an alternative to the 2500K then if you are certain you only use heavily multi-threaded applications (when you're on a tight budget)

I like Anandtech's final line

It's no longer a question of whether AMD will return to the days of the Athlon 64, it simply must. Otherwise you can kiss choice goodbye.

McHuj

I'm still sticking with the theory that there is something wrong/bug with Bulldozer.

Otherwise, this is one of the worst engineered chips.

Intel's Sandy Bridge chip size is 216mm and 995M transistors, Bulldozer according to Anand is ~2 billion transistors and 315mm.

The latest AMD chip is basically twice the size of a 11 month old design, consumes more power, and roughly performs the same or worse.

I think in another 6 months or so when Ivy Bridge comes out, we'll see an "FX-8180" that will perform much better and have better power numbers.

Having said that I would consider it, but not at the current prices, knock off 50 or so bucks and then it's a much more competitive chip.

McHuj said:
I'm still sticking with the theory that there is something wrong/bug with Bulldozer.

Otherwise, this is one of the worst engineered chips.

Intel's Sandy Bridge chip size is 216mm and 995M transistors, Bulldozer according to Anand is ~2 billion transistors and 315mm.

The latest AMD chip is basically twice the size of a 11 month old design, consumes more power, and roughly performs the same or worse.

I think in another 6 months or so when Ivy Bridge comes out, we'll see an "FX-8180" that will perform much better and have better power numbers.

Having said that I would consider it, but not at the current prices, knock off 50 or so bucks and then it's a much more competitive chip.
$50 off might make it more competitively priced, but that doesn't change the massive performance and power draw differences. Looking at these benches, BD is almost a joke processor. I love my Phenom II x3 and was looking forward to see what BD could do, now I just shake my head and laugh at it.

1-D_FTW

Holy shit at those power consumption numbers. I'm all about performance/watt and keeping things at reasonable levels. Any temptation to upgrade early with AMD is absolutely destroyed. Would not take those chips for free as a replacement for my current CPU.

Ivy Bridge is getting significant power reduction with the 3D transistors and 22nm die shrink. AMD is going wildly in the wrong direction. Even if they can clean things up a bit, Ivy Bridge will be moving the goalposts significantly. Not great for competition and aggressive pricing:(

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Well....fuck

Guess I'll hold on to my Phenom X6 1090T. And switch to Intel next year. Disappointing.

Top Bottom