• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Crimson ReLive Driver Released

Herne

Can't say I like that Wattman isn't an optional feature. I used to set the memory clock of my R9 390X to 150MHz when sitting on the desktop, and it would run at a cool temperature of around 39 degrees, then I'd ramp it up when I was about to play a game. Wattman won't let it run any lower than the default clock speed of 1500MHz and so just sitting on the desktop it's currently 62 degrees. I used to be annoyed that you couldn't set a specific gpu clock rate and instead had to rely on a silly "gpu percentage" up or down slider, which I ignored anyway. Now there's a nice range of options but I never overclock my card anyway, so it's a waste of screen space to me.

I also use Afterburner to monitor temperature and frame rate, and also set a fan curve. Now with the driver can't monitor temperature anymore. So here I am with the stupid fan running up and down as the Radeon drivers dictate because the stupid memory clock is running high while doing nothing on the desktop.

I mean, you could say I'm needlessly complaining when I could just go back to a previous driver, but all the drivers will be like this from now on so I'd better get used to it.

Can't say I like that Wattman isn't an optional feature. I used to set the memory clock of my R9 390X to 150MHz when sitting on the desktop, and it would run at a cool temperature of around 39 degrees, then I'd ramp it up when I was about to play a game. Wattman won't let it run any lower than the default clock speed of 1500MHz and so just sitting on the desktop it's currently 62 degrees. I used to be annoyed that you couldn't set a specific gpu clock rate and instead had to rely on a silly "gpu percentage" up or down slider, which I ignored anyway. Now there's a nice range of options but I never overclock my card anyway, so it's a waste of screen space to me.

I also use Afterburner to monitor temperature and frame rate, and also set a fan curve. Now with the driver can't monitor temperature anymore. So here I am with the stupid fan running up and down as the Radeon drivers dictate because the stupid memory clock is running high while doing nothing on the desktop.

I mean, you could say I'm needlessly complaining when I could just go back to a previous driver, but all the drivers will be like this from now on so I'd better get used to it.
Weird... Afterburner is working fine in my end. Fan profiles and all are working like always.

Herne

Weird... Afterburner is working fine in my end. Fan profiles and all are working like always.

Actually, was just about to come back and edit, turns out I was using the older 4.2.0 version of Afterburner. A quick update to 4.3.0 sorted that out. Still stuck with the memory clock running at full default, though. If you click dynamic, there's a graph where you can choose the clock, but the lowest value is 1500MHz. You can type in the clock rate in State 1 but if I try 150MHz it just defaults to 1500MHz again. The other option is a slider you can move right to overclock, but still won't go lower than 1500MHz. So the card is running needlessly hot while doing nothing on the desktop.

Hopefully this will be sorted soon...

NeoRaider

Can someone explain to me how does Chill work? I mean how do i know that it's activated?
I set it on ON, but what is "hotkey F11" for that appears when i activate Chill?

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i have a msi r9 390 8gb, and a 4k tv, due to hdmi 1.4 i cant use 1440p 60 hz,i tried a displayport to hdmi club3d thing that worked for a week and already stopped working.

is it a "upgrade" if i go from a r9 390 to a RX480? or would i get like a 5% difference?

a rx480 supports up to 4k @ 60 hz right?-

i have a msi r9 390 8gb, and a 4k tv, due to hdmi 1.4 i cant use 1440p 60 hz,i tried a displayport to hdmi club3d thing that worked for a week and already stopped working.

is it a "upgrade" if i go from a r9 390 to a RX480? or would i get like a 5% difference?

a rx480 supports up to 4k @ 60 hz right?-

r9 390 supports 4k 60fps via displayport. And, no. 390 to 480 is a sidegrade.

Irobot82

Actually, was just about to come back and edit, turns out I was using the older 4.2.0 version of Afterburner. A quick update to 4.3.0 sorted that out. Still stuck with the memory clock running at full default, though. If you click dynamic, there's a graph where you can choose the clock, but the lowest value is 1500MHz. You can type in the clock rate in State 1 but if I try 150MHz it just defaults to 1500MHz again. The other option is a slider you can move right to overclock, but still won't go lower than 1500MHz. So the card is running needlessly hot while doing nothing on the desktop.

Hopefully this will be sorted soon...

Why is your gpu running full at idle? Mine idles at 500mhz with one monitor and 850mhz with two. Maybe your missing a a setting somewhere

Herne

Why is your gpu running full at idle? Mine idles at 500mhz with one monitor and 850mhz with two. Maybe your missing a a setting somewhere

It's not, it's just the setting in Wattman won't for some reason go lower than 1500MHz. I can see by gpu activity that it's not full or anything. It's hovering around zero in fact.

It's not, it's just the setting in Wattman won't for some reason go lower than 1500MHz. I can see by gpu activity that it's not full or anything. It's hovering around zero in fact.

Weird, this is my 390 right after Overwatch (hence the t°)
CGap5mb.png

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They finally added monitor settings inside the crimson app. Finally. Seems Re-Live is for all GPUs too, so that's cool, Chill sounds like it's shit so I can live without it

Edit: Oh they only added custom resolution stuff to inside Crimson. They broke the "additional settings" so RIP those of you who calibrate your monitors via the AMD drivers. And they still *refuse* to let you make the GPU run at full clock with a video running, it's like people watching a stream and playing a game at the same time is some sort of alien concept to them

Re-edit: So literally the only thing not added for the 280X in this update is Wattman, which has a hardware requirement, even Chill is included in the OverDrive settings. A lot of outrage about nothing in this thread it turns out :lol. Myself included!

I had to reset afterburner just to get everything to even work like the original crimson drivers. Anytime I use afterburner, it either goes to default speeds or if I try to overclock it goes to the default idle speed of the card which is like super low. 300 / 150.

After the reset, it is using the auto adjust clock speeds so if I'm idle it will go down to 300 /150 instead of sticking with 1050 / 1500.

Granted, I just had it crash when I was typing this, so maybe everything isn't completely usable.

I'll just tough it out until MSI release a new version.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Notice that TurboCore is really fucky with these drivers, watching a stream and it's trying to OC the cores to 4.1Ghz leading to a lot of temp increase for what's just a stream. Good thing you can turn that off in the external CPU Overdrive app without entering the bios.

Ascheroth

Welp, for some reason I can't even install the new drivers, it always tells me that 'the components are already installed'. This is even after a full uninstall with the AMD CleanUp Utility.
No idea what's up with that, but it's kind of annoying.

Zemm

It has been pretty much flawless for me so far. The instant replay feature is basically the share button on the PS4 if set up for 15 minutes. Good stuff.

Dmax3901

Anyone had trouble with MSI Afterburner after installing this driver?

EDIT: Nevermind read the thread.

EDIT 2: Just installed the latest version of afterburner which resulted in a hard lock. Had to boot into safe mode to uninstall it :/

Dmax3901

Ok I'm sorry for the double post but I need some help. I uninstalled MSI afterburner cause this new driver was causing my PC to hardlock upon getting the desktop.

But now the Wattman thing seems to be doing something wrong, my temps are way up (I'm only playing WoW), and my fan speed doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Am I missing something? Anyone have any suggestions?

With MSI I had it set up so that fan speeds would be low but would then increase as the temps did, can I do that with Wattman?

joeblow

I must be missing something obvious here (Nitro Tri-X 390 GPU, Win 7).

With the new Wattman, I set the frequency to dynamic and raised state 7 to 1140 (matching my pre-Wattman setting). I left the voltage at stock, and the only memory option I could adjust after switching to dynamic is state 1, which I raised to my old setting of 1725.

After hitting apply, I load up GPU-Z and it says I am at stock settings. What am I doing wrong?

BTW, to the other 390 owner above, my idles speeds are 300/150 respectively. Something's up with your setup.

sfried

I'm going to wait a few weeks or maybe a month before I jump, since I want to make sure Wattman and other newly integrated features will work properly for my R9Nano.

Edit: Are you able to undervolt your card via Wattman?

Dmax3901

Is this sort of jumping up and down normal for the memory? All I was doing is browsing the internet. Everything is set to automatic.

7lhc.png

Just had an email that this is ready for me to download!

Haven't been more excited for a software patch before. This brings massive improvements all round.

Is this sort of jumping up and down normal for the memory? All I was doing is browsing the internet. Everything is set to automatic.

7lhc.png

Mine does the same thing

I'm going to guess the idle speed is just too low for anything, even web browsing. Also doesn't help that there aren't any states between low and highest speed for memory.

Vanguard

I tried to record some Rocket League gameplay but while recording the game freezes every few seconds?

This happened to me when testing (Mortal Kombat X)
Settings were;
2560x1600 (ingame res)
30Mbps
60FPS
AVC
192Kbps

But reducing this to 1920x1200 and keeping the other settings the same pretty much solved this, although initially it did stutter for the first few seconds.
Going to retest by saving to an ssd to see if it's due to a slow hard drive, though I doubt it will change much. Using a 480.

abracadaver

This happened to me when testing (Mortal Kombat X)
Settings were;
2560x1600 (ingame res)
30Mbps
60FPS
AVC
192Kbps

But reducing this to 1920x1200 and keeping the other settings the same pretty much solved this, although initially it did stutter for the first few seconds.
Going to retest by saving to an ssd to see if it's due to a slow hard drive, though I doubt it will change much. Using a 480.

I had almost the same settings but resolution was 2560x1440 and recording in 1080p. Also on a normal HDD.

I'm trying in CS:GO now to see if it happens there as well.

Vanguard

I had almost the same settings but resolution was 2560x1440 and recording in 1080p. Also on a normal HDD.

I'm trying in CS:GO now to see if it happens there as well.

Tried again at 2560x1600 and the micro suttering is now more or less gone once I record to SSD, it is still there every now and then but it wasn't every 2 seconds like before. Still not perfect though.
Although one interesting thing is when Mortal Kombat does it's 30fps cap during into/ctuscenes/xrays/fatalities, the stuttering returns back to every few seconds in that case. So it doesn't appear to be entirely storage speed related.

wsippel

Banned
I am not a fan of Chill in Overwatch. It's dropping frames to 40 a lot and it's very noticeable.
Of course it's dropping the framerate to 40, that's exactly what Chill is supposed to do. More specifically, 40 is the default minimum framerate, but you can configure both min and max FPS per game in Radeon Settings.

abracadaver

Tried again at 2560x1600 and the micro suttering is now more or less gone once I record to SSD, it is still there every now and then but it wasn't every 2 seconds like before. Still not perfect though.
Although one interesting thing is when Mortal Kombat does it's 30fps cap during into/ctuscenes/xrays/fatalities, the stuttering returns back to every few seconds in that case. So it doesn't appear to be entirely storage speed related.

CS:GO worked perfectly for me.

But I just noticed that the videos have no sound? I have an ASUS Xonar DX soundcard. Is there anything to set up?

Vanguard

CS:GO worked perfectly for me.

But I just noticed that the videos have no sound? I have an ASUS Xonar DX soundcard. Is there anything to set up?

Ah, have very little downloaded so can't try out much atm, but interesting.
As for audio, not sure, I didn't do anything with mine but I'm also using onboard audio so can't help much there I'm afraid.

NeoRaider

Of course it's dropping the framerate to 40, that's exactly what Chill is supposed to do. More specifically, 40 is the default minimum framerate, but you can configure both min and max FPS per game in Radeon Settings.

I don't think i want to do that but can you tell me how anyway?

Can't you set the lowest fps you want it to drop? Or is it dropping even then?

Idk. i activated it only to see how it works and what it does. I mean i knew that it drops framerates to reduce temperatures but i am not noticing any benefits from it.
Played 4-5 matches and my GPU peak was 70c, without it it's usually 70-72c so yeah, it does almost nothing but makes every cutscenene or death spectating screen look bad @40fps and with fps going up and down all the time.

sfried

I went ahead and bit the bullet, but now I'm intimidated by WattMan:
bd4b198010.png

5a681abf51.png

Right now I'm trying to remember what forum member Crisium told me about underclocking. I have an AMD R9 Nano and a stock i7-6700k with 32GB RAM, but I really want to squeeze performance without burning my card assunder Crisium mentioned something about trying to underclock the card a few volts, but the question is how much should I underclock and at what frequencies.

I'm also unsure how to create and adjust my fan curve, as you could see there's a minimum and a target fan-speed, and I much prefer safer operating temperatures and "noisier" performance over a quiet card that is stating to bake on performance.

First of all you are not going to bake anything by undervolting, even by overclocking you are first going to see a lot of artifacts or your pc might shut down before it burns.

Second of all is just a lot of trial and error, if I were you I would just start dropping the voltage on the highest frequency, switch voltage control to manual and start dropping state 7 by -0005 or -0010 and test running some intensive 3d application for 10 min or so, keep dropping and testing until you start seeing artifacts or the driver crashes, when it does, switch back to the last stable voltage and do a larger test for a couple of hours, play some games to see if it works fine, if it crashes at some point add some more voltage and repeat.

Also I don't own a nano but I imagine 4200rpm would be intolerable loud, your card should be fine even at 80 degrees so play around with that.

sfried

First of all you are not going to bake anything by undervolting, even by overclocking you are first going to see a lot of artifacts or your pc might shut down before it burns.
Yep, that's what Crisium mentioned to me before, too.

Second of all is just a lot of trial and error, if I were you I would just start dropping the voltage on the highest frequency, switch voltage control to manual and start dropping state 7 by -0005 or -0010 and test running some intensive 3d application for 10 min or so, keep dropping and testing until you start seeing artifacts or the driver crashes, when it does, switch back to the last stable voltage and do a larger test for a couple of hours, play some games to see if it works fine, if it crashes at some point add some more voltage and repeat.
What intensive 3D applications/game would you consider good benchmarks? I know games like DOOM(4) would probably work, but I don't know if it has a Benchmark mode like, say, Sleeping Dogs DE. I'll try doing what you suggested.

Edit: Huh...
b26616d58f.png

It's not giving me a -0005 or -0010. Instead it's giving me absolute values.

Also I don't own a nano but I imagine 4200rpm would be intolerable loud, your card should be fine even at 80 degrees so play around with that.

I have a Silverstone Raven RV02B right now, and here's the thing about my card and its location on my rig: It's sitting right next to my 3.5" HDD. This is the reason why I have to stick to ITX form factor cards as there's literally no space left on my HTPC build except using some of the GPU space. And yes, I've read about extensive work arounds including sacrificing the optical drive mount to fit it, but I use my disc reader for BD playback.

At top temps it starts to fry my HDD to 60-70C and I get a little worried about reliability and errors. I manage to control it by activating fan speed at full throttle and capping temps at 75. Besides, this way it also keeps my GPU reliably safe, and even at 4200rpm the Nano is still considerably less loud than the 7870 on my previous rig, wich was like a literal blow drier! It rarely gets to reach that speed anyway though, considering the sub 1080p resolution I run my games at (I have 3 1366x768 monitors and sometimes used Eyefinity for some).

Top Bottom