• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Mantle Thread - Time to shake some things up!

artist

Banned
PCPer said:
Q: Mantle's shading language is said to be compatible with HLSL. How will optimizations made for DirectX, such as tweaks during shader compilation, carry over to Mantle? How much tuning will (and will not) be shared between the two APIs?

[Guennadi] The current Mantle solution relies on the same shader generation path games the DirectX uses and includes an open-source component for translating DirectX shaders to Mantle accepted intermediate language (IL). This enables developers to quickly develop Mantle code path without any changes to the shaders. This was one of the strongest requests we got from our ISV partners when we were developing Mantle.

Follow-Up: What does this mean, specifically, in terms of driver optimizations? Would AMD, or anyone else who supports Mantle, be able to re-use the effort they spent on tuning their shader compilers (and so forth) for DirectX?

[Guennadi] With the current shader compilation strategy in Mantle, the developers can directly leverage DirectX shader optimization efforts in Mantle. They would use the same front-end HLSL compiler for DX and Mantle, and inside of the DX and Mantle drivers we share the shader compiler that generates the shader code our hardware understands.

More: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Core-Mantle-Questions-Interview-AMDs-Guennadi-Riguer

Minion101

Banned
I'm probably going to be investing in a video card once my tax return comes in, and I was leaning towards Nvidia. Would it be wise to go AMD instead and make use of Mantle?

I'm running an i7 930 at the moment

Your CPU is pretty good but I think they are still a better choice for the future. I needed to upgrade a failing nvidia card and I switched from Nvidia due to mantle in BF4 alone. The fact that AMD's GCN hardware is in both consoles makes for great odds of Mantle getting supported by all important engines.

Also competition is good.

Dawnblade

Banned
Your CPU is pretty good but I think they are still a better choice for the future. I needed to upgrade a failing nvidia card and I switched from Nvidia due to mantle in BF4 alone. The fact that AMD's GCN hardware is in both consoles makes for great odds of Mantle getting supported by all important engines.

Also competition is good.

When you say 'they', do you mean AMD being the better future choice? As interested in Mantle as I am, I had issues with AMD drivers with my last video card. Has AMD gotten better with that?

When you say 'they', do you mean AMD being the better future choice? As interested in Mantle as I am, I had issues with AMD drivers with my last video card. Has AMD gotten better with that?

They're not terrible, but you miss out on features like the Nvidia control panel.

I'm an AMD user, for reference.

Mackins

What does Mantle mean for new gen consoles? Will they support it with having AMD hardware? Will future games have higher performance once Mantle is established?

DieH@rd

Banned
What does Mantle mean for new gen consoles? Will they support it with having AMD hardware? Will future games have higher performance once Mantle is established?

Consoles have their own lightweight and even faster APIs. Mantle is similar to them, but its still only for PC.

funo

fiddled around with mantle a bit yesterday

Core i5 3570k (no OC)
AMD 7850 2gb (no OC)
BF4 everything on ultra (just for this test, I won't play like this in multiplayer, I need my constant 60+ fps)

I only had time to have a look at BF4's built in test range and I have that strange feeling that I'm getting even less fps with mantle than I'm getting with dx11

average frames with DX11 were around ~70 with some dips into the 60s and 50s
average frames with Mantle were around ~60 with some dips even as low as 45

so I guess they were not lying when they announced that both the driver as wells as BF4 still need to be optimized for the 7000 cards so I have to wait a bit

I guess I'll have to buy a 280x anyway as soon as those bitminers have their cards

Hasney

Dammit, thus is making my next GPU decision hard. Waiting on the 800s and the next line if AMDs because if Mantle gains traction, of course I want it. On the other hand, I'm loving Steam streaming so much and hardware encoding is only supported by Nvidia Kepler and up. If AMD announce some kind of hardware encoding, I'm on board.

Mackins

Consoles have their own lightweight and even faster APIs. Mantle is similar to them, but its still only for PC.

Ahhh I see, thank you for the information. The reason I asked was I saw a thread a while ago mentioning the PS4 in some Mantle presentation and I had no idea what it was at the time so didn't take much notice.

Dolor

I am really curious to see more on the Star Swarm demo as this is exactly the type of game that I would be willing to switch cards for if it helped (4770K + 780 now).

kharma45

Core i5 3570k (no OC)
AMD 7850 2gb (no OC)
BF4 everything on ultra (just for this test, I won't play like this in multiplayer, I need my constant 60+ fps)

I only had time to have a look at BF4's built in test range and I have that strange feeling that I'm getting even less fps with mantle than I'm getting with dx11

so I guess they were not lying when they announced that both the driver as wells as BF4 still need to be optimized for the 7000 cards so I have to wait a bit

I guess I'll have to buy a 280x anyway as soon as those bitminers have their cards

OC both CPU and GPU, they've loads of extra power to give. You'll notice the difference for not much extra work. If you're on the stock cooler for your i5 4GHz is probably as high as you'll get.

hodgy100

Mantle makes my fps jump to around 100 - 110 fps as opposed to 70-80 in direct x this is pretty awesome :D (at 1080p ultra 4xAA)

specs:
I5 3570k no overclock
8gb DDR3
R9 290

So the weaker the CPU the bigger the benefit of using Mantle?

Wouldn't that give something like the MSI AMD laptops huge benefits then?

I'm curious to see what the performance increase Mantle provides on an MSI GX70 Destroyer (A10-5750 + R9-M290X). Hope someone benches these soon. Could make those laptops the best sub-$1500 gaming machines by quite a margin.

http://www.techradar.com/news/compu...g-api-to-become-the-industry-standard-1218560

AMD told TechRadar that it'd be willing to make Mantle, or an API based on it, available across the industry. Even, the company said, if it means Mantle is adopted by competitors like Nvidia.

"Mantle for now is straight up in a closed ecosystem, a closed beta, which you have to do in a complicated project like this to get it off the ground. It's us and a few key game developers," Robert Hallock, technical communications, AMD Graphics & Gaming, told us in a recent interview.

"After that phase is done, we do hope that Mantle becomes an industry standard. We'll be releasing a public SDK later this year, and hope that others adopt it. If they don't adopt it itself, then we hope they adopt APIs similar to it that become an industry standard for PC gaming."

DieH@rd

Banned

hPDZFOh.gif

Hm. It sounds like if Mantle does become a big thing, it wont be for a while still.

I never quite expected wide adoption. Mantle is aimed at deves who care about performance, and not everyone does that.

So I bought a new computer. Well, almost, I upgraded all the core parts:

I7 4770K
Gigabyte z87-hd3
16 Gb Ram Kingstom Hyperx CL9
Amd 290x (Sapphire model, slightly OC and with 3 fans)

But the mobo is giving me problems, two of the RAM slots are faulty, so I'm returning it. So I returned to my old config, a Q6600@3.1ghz (with a Noctua fan), 4gb ram DDR2, but with the new video card, the 290x.

So I had the opportunity to see the Mantle effects in an outdated but still kicking cpu while I wait for the RMA of the mobo.

In BF4, Mantle gives me a 50% improvement in fps.
DX11.2 (in Win 8.1) : 27 fps on average, 25ish once the skyscraper fell.
Mantle : 40 fps on average

Detail Ultra, msaax4, 1920x1200 res, fov 90.

This is playing 10-15 minutes of Battle of Shangai on each mode, and looking at the fps indicator shown with perfoverlay.drawfps, I didn't output a benchmark log.

-SD-

Banned
http://www.slideshare.net/DICEStudio/rendering-battlefield-4-with-mantle

DICE said:
Rendering Battlefield 4 with Mantle

by DICE on Mar 20, 2014

In this technical presentation Johan Andersson shows how the Frostbite 3 game engine is using the low-level graphics API Mantle to deliver significantly improved performance in Battlefield 4 on PC and future games from Electronic Arts. He will go through the work of bringing over an advanced existing engine to an entirely new graphics API, the benefits and concrete details of doing low-level rendering on PC and how it fits into the architecture and rendering systems of Frostbite. Advanced optimization techniques and topics such as parallel dispatch, GPU memory management, multi-GPU rendering, async compute & async DMA will be covered as well as sharing experiences of working with Mantle in general.

Core i5 3570k (no OC)
AMD 7850 2gb (no OC)

The Mantle path in BF4 has extremely poor memory management. From what I understand this is considered not a bug at the moment.

So people with 2GB cards need to set lower texture settings. Or get very poor performance where memory swapping between system and video ram happens.

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

Is there a list of what AMD cards are compatible? I have a 7870xt which my friend insists isn't Mantle compatible but I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was.

DieH@rd

Banned
Sorry for bumping an old thread.

Is there a list of what AMD cards are compatible? I have a 7870xt which my friend insists isn't Mantle compatible but I could've sworn I read somewhere that it was.

All 28nm GCN-based cards are compatible. On the desktop side that means Radeon 7730 and everything stronger than it [including all newly released Radeons in Rx 200 series]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...g_units#Southern_Islands_.28HD_7xxx.29_Series

Your 7870 XT is fully compatibile [although DICE is still not fully supporting all cards in BF4...]

All 28nm GCN-based cards are compatible. On the desktop side that means Radeon 7730 and everything stronger than it [including all newly released Radeons in Rx 200 series]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...g_units#Southern_Islands_.28HD_7xxx.29_Series

Your 7870 XT is fully compatibile [although DICE is still not fully supporting all cards in BF4...]
Thanks for the reply! That's good to hear. Don't really mind BF4 if it doesn't support my card but Thief support would be nice.

saunderez

Thanks for the reply! That's good to hear. Don't really mind BF4 if it doesn't support my card but Thief support would be nice.

It certainly helped a lot for me in Thief, went from average framerate of 49fps in the benchmark to average framerate of 68fps, with everything maxed out. Minimum frame rate rose from 28 to 56 which means I can get away with leaving v-sync on without triple buffering and not have too much slowdown.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Everyone always talks about high-end systems with this. I have a Phenom II X4 955 with an R9 270X (4GB) and 8GB RAM. What could I expect Mantle to do for performance?

Everyone always talks about high-end systems with this. I have a Phenom II X4 955 with an R9 270X (4GB) and 8GB RAM. What could I expect Mantle to do for performance?

Mantle benefit lower end CPU's a lot more than higher end ones. Under DX your CPU is most certainly bottlenecking, but under Mantle it theoretically shouldn't.

Your card supports Mantle, but no games will use your card for Mantle, not even the 280X can use mantle yet.

It's in Beta and I assume you will be waiting for full release to get support.

Your card supports Mantle, but no games will use your card for Mantle, not even the 280X can use mantle yet.

It's in Beta and I assume you will be waiting for full release to get support.
What about the catalyst 14.3 betas that include Thief support? I have that and Thief installed but I can't tell if it's working or not.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Under DX your CPU is most certainly bottlenecking, but under Mantle it theoretically shouldn't.
It really depends on the game. When I was looking at graphics cards last year, I found a comparison of a dozen or so CPUs checking for bottlenecks with different GPUs in a lot of different games. The test results made it very easy to identify where the CPU would actually bottleneck the GPU. From what I saw, the limit for my CPU was the 7970, and the 270X is more at 7950 level.

Different games press on things differently. Before, Starcraft 2 maxed out would crap out to 25fps or something in cinematics, but now it's a smooth 60fps. My 5850 pretty much couldn't handle DoF, advanced lighting, tessellation, or other hallmarks of DX11. Now with a card that can (yet not at amazing levels) things are pretty good. However, some games like Saint's Row The Third aren't so perfect. Tomb Raider runs fine max everything except tessfx starts bogging things down.

Anyway yeah I think the 955 has a worse rep than it deserves, but getting into real top of the line stuff like Crysis 3, it's going to have trouble. I think my 270X would start having trouble at about the same time, so it isn't such a bad thing. I was just wondering how much Mantle could help out at this level rather than with a 290X and i7.

I finally noticed a difference when using Mantle in Thief.

...the Steam overlay doesn't work. -_-"

Otherwise, benchmarks give me about the same scores.

flying dutchman

Neo Member
Ok mods, please dont ban me for my question as its something that really frustrates me and i actually want an answer and its not a troll. Ok here goes.
When the PS4 comes out and there are claims that it is twice as efficent as a similar power PC and that you will need a PC rig twice as powerful as the console to get similar results as it is been coded closer to the metal, PC gamers laugh it down, claim BS on it and deny that there any real truth to it. However when AMD release Mantle that shows up to 40% improvement compared to other APIs that have more overheads then PC gamers jump onboard with the hype. Same when the new Direct x comes out with far better results. So why does it count for nothing when consoles come out with low level APIs but when PC does its the second coming?
As someone who doesent understand mhch about graphics tech it gets annoying seeing this.

Toski

Ok mods, please dont ban me for my question as its something that really frustrates me and i actually want an answer and its not a troll. Ok here goes.
When the PS4 comes out and there are claims that it is twice as efficent as a similar power PC and that you will need a PC rig twice as powerful as the console to get similar results as it is been coded closer to the metal, PC gamers laugh it down, claim BS on it and deny that there any real truth to it. However when AMD release Mantle that shows up to 40% improvement compared to other APIs that have more overheads then PC gamers jump onboard with the hype. Same when the new Direct x comes out with far better results. So why does it count for nothing when consoles come out with low level APIs but when PC does its the second coming?
As someone who doesent understand mhch about graphics tech it gets annoying seeing this.
I'm not a mod, but a 7970/280X is more than twice as powerful as the GPU in the PS4 by Teraflop measure. There is no "second coming" of whatever you think PC gamers are espousing about. Simply put, upper-mid to high end GPUs are much more powerful than the PS4, even without "coding to the metal."'

The "you need twice the power on PC to reach console" is mostly bunk. Windows and DirectX are probably more efficient now than when Carmack made that comment.

Chev

Dutchman> Low latency APIs have always been standard on console, so there's nothing to be amazed at, and console devs can be close to the metal because said metal is the same on all consoles of a given type. You don't get amazed by breathing air when that's what you breathe all the time.

Meanwhile on PC that latency's always been a side effect for the architecture and not being close to the metal is the price you pay for not having to be close to the metal. Being close to the metal on the PC triggers higher costs on the dev side because there are so many metals to be close to and it can easily become unmanageable. In that context being close to the metal is a liability, the console model can't be applied to the PC.

What AMD's bringing to the table is actually a way in which it may be possible. "You may actually be able to breathe air, firebreathers!". So that's interesting, naturally, thus PC games are interested. A path that used to be folly can now be walked.

It's a double edged sword, though, because it's interesting on the surface but if devs still have to maintain several render paths just to be closer to the metal they'll eventually go back to the more generic solution just because they know it'll work everywhere. If being close to the metal is a luxury onl the devs that can afford it will do.

A recent blog post after which some people started to assume based on the following part that Mantle might be coming to Linux.

On March 20 Microsoft announced DirectX® 12, the next major evolution of its own game API. This is terrific news because it really draws attention to the value of low-level programming and Mantle’s leading contribution. With DirectX 12 games still over 18 months away and no alternatives in sight for Linux gamers, Mantle’s future looks bright.

I don't see it. In fact I see the opposite. As in DX12 is still far off, Linux has nothing compelling (OGL came under a lot of criticism lately by devs, including a (then) Valve employee), thus gamers should look forward to Mantle (on Windows). Anyone else agree? I mean, surely a linux announcement would have been less vague.

Denton

A recent blog post after which some people started to assume based on the following part that Mantle might be coming to Linux.

I don't see it. In fact I see the opposite. As in DX12 is still far off, Linux has nothing compelling (OGL came under a lot of criticism lately by devs, including a (then) Valve employee), thus gamers should look forward to Mantle (on Windows). Anyone else agree? I mean, surely a linux announcement would have been less vague.

Huh ? Maybe they are just not ready yet to fully announce linux version ?
But surely if they want Mantle to take off, it should be in their interest to get it to as many operating systems as possible, and even get other companies to adopt it.
I mean DX12 is nice and all, but being windows only and still almost 2 years away kinda sucks.

Top Bottom