• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD MUST Fix FSR Upscaling - DLSS vs FSR vs Native at 1080p

Buggy Loop

And was $500 just for the card with 8 gig of ram.

Yeah that’s not how it works when you deal with a customer that will buy millions and millions of chipsets to put in a console

I hope that’s obvious

AMD equivalent also is hundreds. Of fucking course that’s not what Sony pays.

dummydecoy

How did they play the game the exact same to capture the three AA solutions? Three computers controlled by one controller?

Not Moving Wake Up GIF by Travis

Fucking redo FSR AMD

FSR 2 upscaler has not been updated since October 2022

Let that sink in

It can’t take that goddamn long to find the AI solution can it? Intel did it.

winjer

Gold Member
Leonidas being a giant NVIDIA Stan doesn't change the fact that FSR is not good enough, DLSS is the superior tech and AMD have admitted as much by announcing they are working on AI upscaling.

FSR was always just a hastily thrown together stop-gap alternate to DLSS, it's got some uses but it doesn't have much of a future in its current form.

We have seen some rumors that claim that the reason why FSR2 didn't get AI improvement is because Sony choose not to have DP4A support on the PS5.
But now that the PS5 Pro has wmma support, AMD is also implementing AI with FSR.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Yeah that’s not how it works when you deal with a customer that will buy millions and millions of chipsets to put in a console

I hope that’s obvious

AMD equivalent also is hundreds. Of fucking course that’s not what Sony pays.
Nvidia are ruthless and 7 times bigger than AMD, you arent getting the same type of deal from them. The Nvidia hardware you would get for the same price would be significantly inferior.

Buggy Loop

Nvidia are ruthless and 7 times bigger than AMD, you arent getting the same type of deal from them. The Nvidia hardware you would get for the same price would be significantly inferior.

Cool story bro

You still have no idea what a deal with Nvidia in 2024 would be like. We’re gonna bring up stories that are 15 years old like when Kutaragi almost launched a console without a GPU and then called Nvidia in a panic for a quick solution? Any other meaningless Nvidia stories to extrapolate decades later?

Nvidia margin is a mere 10% higher than AMD and that’s counting the AI craziness.

Microsoft could easily negotiate a good deal especially with the billions invested in AI and Nvidia in the coming years.

It’s a lot less black and white than you think.

Jayjayhd34

A 4090 stomps all other Nvidia cards as well. A 7900 is in between a 4090 and 4080 not a direct 4090 competitor.

Yes are correct in rastration however when talking about dlss raytracying path tracing there's no competion you could liturally just get lower priced nvidia card and have far greater performance in newer games when taking nvdias better techolgy.

Anyone buying amd card is very deluded heat issue worser tech worser performance most of time. Even most die amd fans like NY dad brother just liturally just given up amd.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yet again I maintain that AMD is at fault for ruining this gen from a visual/performance perspective. The hardware is trash at RT and trash at upscaling.

Far more excited to see what Nintendo can do with Switch 2 + DLSS than a PS5 “Pro”
I bet no one put a gun in the head of Sony/ms to go with AMD, so it is entirely Sony/MS fault.

Cool story bro

You still have no idea what a deal with Nvidia in 2024 would be like. We’re gonna bring up stories that are 15 years old like when Kutaragi almost launched a console without a GPU and then called Nvidia in a panic for a quick solution? Any other meaningless Nvidia stories to extrapolate decades later?

Nvidia margin is a mere 10% higher than AMD and that’s counting the AI craziness.

Microsoft could easily negotiate a good deal especially with the billions invested in AI and Nvidia in the coming years.

It’s a lot less black and white than you think.
What's hilarious about the people who complain about Nvidia's pricing is they literally are just fine with giving AMD a pass for looking at Nvidia's prices and slightly undercutting. AMD lets Nvidia set the market price, they don't independently control pricing at all.

This is the same as how Apple sets phone pricing for the whole industry with iPhone, every other phone manufacturer looks at what iPhones cost and simply undercut by a certain percent to arrive at their own pricing for phones.

winjer

Gold Member
What's hilarious about the people who complain about Nvidia's pricing is they literally are just fine with giving AMD a pass for looking at Nvidia's prices and slightly undercutting.

That is a complete lie.
For example when RDNA3GPUs released, one of the most common comments here was that it was overpriced.
Many comments about how it should be 100 or 200$ less and that they will have to drop prices in a month or two. Which is what ended happening.
Not just people on forums, but even reviewers said it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
If you can't run a native 1080p, maybe it's time to upgrade? FSR is fine on higher resolution displays.

Bojji

If you can't run a native 1080p, maybe it's time to upgrade? FSR is fine on higher resolution displays.

They tested 1440p (and 4k too if I remember correctly) before so they just make new test here.

Fsr2 in 4k in quality mode (1440p) looks fine in most games, but at the same time you can do DLSS performance mode (1080p) and it would look better than that fsr2 result most of the time. They really need to implement ai upscaling into that.

Last edited:

yamaci17

you are aware there exists a console that uses regular upscaling below 800p most of the time, the series s (not even fancy upscaling). and everyone gives it a pass because it is a cheap entry level console

people that need dlss at 1080p will be on cheap entry level gpus (150-300 bucks, 2060, 3050, 3060, 4060 and etc. 2060 is a 6 year old gpu that really has no decent alternative to jump to). even 3060 and 4060 heavily relies on 1080p dlss to get meaningful performance with ray tracing or without ray tracing in heavy titles like alan wake 2. it is just what it is in 2024.

this barely gets you to 60 fps range and without dlss you're looking at <60 fps range. so what upgrade do you propose, that people should get 4070 get 60+ fps at native 1080p?

dlss quality at 1080p works good enough for most RTX GPU owners. it will fail if the implementation is subpar (lods are not adjusted, sharpening to match native taa is not used etc.).

another ue5 title that you need dlss quality to hit a guaranteed 60+ fps at 1080p output with 4060 tier hardware

it is just what it is. games are hard to render nowadays or unoptimized or whatever you want to call it. if you need upscaling at 1440p with 4070 tier hardware, and need heavy upscaling at 4K with 4080 and alike tier hardware, I don't get why you think people will be able to get decent native 1080p performance with 1080p oriented hardware. all hardware at all resolution points need upscaling at this point. so DLSS being decent at 1080p as opposed to FSR is a big win for lowend folks. because in these titles you literally need a minimum of 4070 to get 60+ fps at native 1080p which is not feasible for many people. even 4070 will rely on dlss quality at 1440p to get a decent 60+ fps output in these titles, which again, is 960p rendering internally.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I'm using an RTX 4070 with 1080p, yes i know i know sacrilege but i like it, it gives me better fps on demanding games.

You should consider upgrading to 1440p. Image quality is much better.
And the performance difference against 1080p is just 30% approximately.
A few years ago, I was also on the side that 1080p was good enough. But getting a 1440p was a game changer.

amigastar

A few years ago, I was also on the side that 1080p was good enough. But getting a 1440p was a game changer.
Yeah, i was considering getting a 1440p monitor, idk maybe i will, it's just i have a really good Eizo 1080p monitor which has great image quality.
Question: Can i use a 144hz monitor with 60 hz or is the image quality worse than native 60hz monitor?

Last edited:

yamaci17

I'm using an RTX 4070 with 1080p, yes i know i know sacrilege but i like it, it gives me better fps on demanding games.
technically 1440p dlss balanced with give or take similar performance will produce better image quality. I'd say do yourself a favor and get a 1440p screen

playing at native 1080p in 2024 is a waste most of the time. dlss quality at 1080p will get you there for the %90 of the image quality, while 1440p dlss balanced/quality will be leagues ahead of 1080p or 1080p dlss quality altogether

either way, rendering at native 1080p will not be something developers plan or care for going forward. they wont really optimize that resolution point because you can clearly see rendering at 840p and upscaling that to 1440p produces better results than rendering the game at brute forced native 1080p. as a result, even 4070 will be super reliant on upscaling because at 1440p upscaling produces good results and developers will lean into that. that is why 1080p oriented hardware like 4060 also is reliant on DLSS nowadays. because "native" brute 1080p rendering exposes that most new hardware is really not a good improvement if you want native rendering. these hardware literally scale with dlss at this point, which is good and bad at the same time

if you don't have the budget or means to do so, try dldsr 1440p and dlss balanced (set your desktop to 1440p and dlss to balanced try a modern game). you will see that even on your 1080p screen, this dldsr dlss combo will bring immense improvements to image quality. naturally it will look much better on native 1440p grid with more details.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

I wonder why 3200 x 1800 never became a popular resolution. The increase from 1440p to 1800p is larger than 1080p to 1440p. How did we go from 1440p to monitors being 4K which seems crazy excessive at the common monitor sizes.

Bojji

I wonder why 3200 x 1800 never became a popular resolution. The increase from 1440p to 1800p is larger than 1080p to 1440p. How did we go from 1440p to monitors being 4K which seems crazy excessive at the common monitor sizes.

Tv manufacturers try to shovel that stuff super hard, same way they are trying that with 8k right now.

There should be 1800p monitors, just like 5k, 6k etc. but sadly monitor producers try to emulate that tv standards.

There are some 3840x1600 UW monitors...

winjer

Gold Member
Question: Can i use a 144hz monitor with 60 hz or is the image quality worse than native 60hz monitor?

Yes, you can use a 144Hz monitor at 60Hz.
Most importantly, buy a monitor with support for Gsyn-compatible.
This allows the monitor to adjust in real-time, the refresh rate of the monitor to the frame rate of the game.

Last edited:

I have a 1080p/75hz monitor with a 4060

To get more quality from the GPU I enable DLAA that is basically DLSS at native resolution. It's probably the best AA you can get beside SSAA that is much more taxing

Last edited:
Top Bottom