• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon 500 series to launch early April, Radeon Vega in May

ethomaz

Banned
You have it backwards. The 480 is generally the winner in big multiplatform titles. Ubi games are nvidias last bastion of hope. Outside of them they usually lose
The good news with RX 500 launch we will see a new batch of reviews using the latest drivers
unless some lazy review site uses the old results form all cards except the new RX 500.

Irobot82

I want to replace my 970. If I don't want to spend $350 on a 1070, what's the next best thing?

Where are you getting 1070's for $350?

I think it's a bit telling that the Fury X was never rebranded. They just dropped it completely

4GB just wasn't enough to feed that chip. Plus they usually don't rebrand when they move to new nodes unless is really low end models.

I was just looking at a RX 480 to replace my GTX 580 this past weekend.

Are you saying I can just wait a few weeks and replace my GTX 580 with an RRX 580? Sweet.

dragn

there were already aib 480 with 8gb for 200€ on sale, this rebrand is useless. i bet they want 300 again lol

Didn't the 300 series give AMD a bigger market share boost than the 400 series? I could see that being a reason why they're doing this...

napata

You have it backwards. The 480 is generally the winner in big multiplatform titles. Ubi games are nvidias last bastion of hope. Outside of them they usually lose

I was talking about 2017. It's not like this is a subjective thing. You just count. Resident Evil 7 is the only title where the 480 wins this year. Sniper Elite seems mixed. Most have the 1060 pull ahead but there are exceptions. All the other titles the 1060 wins, don't know if you'd consider them big though.

Don't agree about the Ubi thing. Most EA titles, not that there are many, have the 1060 win. MS seems about 50/50 . Plus outside of the big multiplatform titles the 1060 pretty much always wins.

dr_rus

A furyx is already only 5-10% slower than a 1070. In what reality are you living where you think it will be a victory for vega to be a few% faster than a furyx? Theres almost no shot in hell that vega only competes with a 1070
While I don't think that it will compete with 1070, it is in fact Fury X from everything we know about it and if for some reason it won't be able to clock significantly higher it will only have GCN5 optimizations going for itself. Which may end up being +5-10%, you know.

No, he doesn't. In "big multiplatform titles" 1060 and 480 are mostly tied with 1060 being the more often winner. 480 is winning in AMD's titles only recently with one singular exception of RE7. As of right now I have four games favoring NV, two games favoring AMD and two games being equal in my 2017 spreadsheet. No idea what "hope" you're talking about.

While I don't think that it will compete with 1070, it is in fact Fury X from everything we know about it and if for some reason it won't be able to clock significantly higher it will only have GCN5 optimizations going for itself. Which may end up being +5-10%, you know.

No, he doesn't. In "big multiplatform titles" 1060 and 480 are mostly tied with 1060 being the more often winner. 480 is winning in AMD's titles only recently with one singular exception of RE7. As of right now I have four games favoring NV, two games favoring AMD and two games being equal in my 2017 spreadsheet. No idea what "hope" you're talking about.

if that turns out to be the case, and i think its highly unlikely, then it most certainly isnt a victory. its a massive failure

i misread it, didnt think he was referring to titles released in 2017. thought he just meant today in 2017

IC5

1060 also cost more.

AMD may not have something for the high end, but they are packing value in the very important midrange. And their timing with the 480 and 470 had them well ahead, in that segment.

I wouldn't expect rebrands to be large gpu core clock increases. I would expect notably faster VRAM. And maybe some PCB improvements for power regulation, etc.

If I'm still rock in' a 2500k at near stock speeds is it overkill to match it with a RX 480/580?

I'm looking for a decent GPU upgrade with minimal cost and thought the price and performance of this card looked good... maybe I'm aiming too high, though.

I know it's not the best news for cutting edge upgrading types but for someone like me, aging card from 4+ years ago who has a budget a rebrand with faster clocks is a perfect storm. Right at release I'll have the choice between a 400 at a markdown price or 500 series at a still affordable price ajd can choose based on orice to performance ratio.

Either way I get a great upgrade for a good price and both lines will last at respectable performance for a few years.

This is so dissapointing. I feel like the $300-350 market is slowly disappearing for some reason.

I was really hoping to see RX580 and RX590 being Vega 11 while the lower could be rebrands pushed down by 10 and then Vega and a cut Vega 10 for top tier.......

My 390 still does 60fps at 1080p. You need more power than what a $300 card can give in 4k for AAA games, for the most part.

There is still 1440p but if you are buying new hardware, I'm betting you are getting a 4k monitor.

If I'm still rock in' a 2500k at near stock speeds is it overkill to match it with a RX 480/580?

I'm looking for a decent GPU upgrade with minimal cost and thought the price and performance of this card looked good... maybe I'm aiming too high, though.

I'd say go for it, but you should absolutely OC that CPU. It's pretty slow nowadays at stock speeds.

Irobot82

My 390 still does 60fps at 1080p. You need more power than what a $300 card can give in 4k for AAA games, for the most part.

There is still 1440p but if you are buying new hardware, I'm betting you are getting a 4k monitor.

I have a 1440p monitor and I'm on a 7950. I can run most games I play fine on med/high settings. I know the RX480 is roughtly twice as powerful as my current card but I'm looking for more I just don't see the current pricing structure palatable. My card new was about $300ish. To me a 1070 isn't worth more than $350. I'll wait and see what tiers vega comes in.

Kieli

If Vega can match or possibly be near the 1080 Ti and possibly at a cheaper price (maybe 500 vs the Ti's 700), then AMD is right back in the game.

If Ryzen could be faster than Intel and cheaper, AMD would still lose miserabky because they're incompetent.

Übermatik;232096521 said:
As someone who literally just bought an RX 480, should I have waited? Will the RX 500 just be a rebrand? Will prices change?

In all likelihood RX 500 is just a rebrand with small clockspeed changes. The prices in the low end are unlikely to drop more than marginally. There's quite a bit of space still left in the high end, so I wouldn't expect Vega to have an effect below 1070, and possibly it might just slot in between 1080 and Ti and not drop any prices at all.

heringer

Find a used 980ti. Get EVGA if you are worried about warranties.

A 980ti for $350 or less? I don't think that's very likely.

How do the 1060 and RX480 (and eventually 580) compares to the gtx 970? Keep in mind I'll selling my 970 for the equivalent of $250 and since I'm going to US next month, I might get something for roughly the same price.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, cool. Can't buy it on eBay though. I'm not from US. I'm going to Vegas and LA next month, but I would only buy something at a physical store in these conditions.

Ah. I assumed you were as you mentioned $350 for a 1070, which is close to the US RRPs of some cards (that and your GAF profile is blank).

heringer

Ah. I assumed you were as you mentioned $350 for a 1070, which is close to the US RRPs of some cards (that and your GAF profile is blank).

I mentioned the retail price because I was under the assumption you could buy one in a store at that price, and since I'm going to US next month... I guess it was naive of me. :p

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I mentioned the retail price because I was under the assumption you could buy one in a store at that price, and since I'm going to US next month... I guess it was naive of me. :p

You could order one from, say, Amazon and have it delivered to where you're staying. That'd cost more than $350, obviously, but not tremendously so. Even if you'll be travelling here and there, hotels generally have some sort of system in place to receive packages, so provided you have a room pre-booked I'd imagine you could have it delivered ahead of your arrival. Alternatively, you could try your luck with price matching (Best Buy will price match Amazon and other select online stores, for example).

You would be surprised what a RX480 8gb or a GTX 1060 6gb is capable of in 4k.

I have a 4.7ghz 3770k with a gtx 1060 6gb and I play all my games in 4k on my LG B6 oled and pretty much all of them are running at a smooth, locked 30fps with either max settings or very minimal adjustments (witcher 3, darks souls 3, etc). Older, less intensive games (dragon's dogma dark arisen, dark souls/2, emulation) are capable of 4k60 with max settings on my setup too.

At this point I don't see the point into purchasing a card above its performance level unless it guarantees me 4k60 on every game (gtx 1080ti).

Bolivar687

Banned
It would be nice if these refreshes came alongside the Ryzen 5 launch.

Has there been anything with regards to Vega 11? I always assumed it was going to be a smaller entry in x70-80 range but I guess it will be the RX 490 and Vega 10 the Rage/Fury/Vega option.

via Tweaktown

Doesn't seem too substantial in this case :/

All they've been able to comment on thus far is the clock speed. Remember the 390X sported both core and memory clock boost, faster 6gbps vram (vs 5gbps), as well as improved thermals. This in turn resulted in a higher performance per watt as well as an increase in overclockability. I'm sure once people get their hands on this product they'll see similar upgrades to the polaris gpus

dr_rus

AMD Radeon RX Vega pictured?

AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega.jpg
AMD-Radeon-RX-Vega-2-1.jpg

A 980ti for $350 or less? I don't think that's very likely.

How do the 1060 and RX480 (and eventually 580) compares to the gtx 970? Keep in mind I'll selling my 970 for the equivalent of $250 and since I'm going to US next month, I might get something for roughly the same price.

A lot of gaffer's are selling theirs for 300. That seems to be the median price on the local boards around here too. Hell, I bought a 980ti hybrid last august for 300. Chances are, if you see an ad for 350 for a 980ti, offer them 300 and they would take it.

heringer

A lot of gaffer's are selling theirs for 300. That seems to be the median price on the local boards around here too. Hell, I bought a 980ti hybrid last august for 300. Chances are, if you see an ad for 350 for a 980ti, offer them 300 and they would take it.

Maybe I'll just buy a 1070 online and have it delivered to my hotel or something. How reliable are the delivery time on this sites? Is Amazon the most reliable?

Just sitting here waiting to throw money at amd and they're taking their sweet time. Kind of wishing I'd just bought a g sync monitor last year.

Top Bottom