• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Radeon 500 series to launch early April, Radeon Vega in May

DonMigs85

I'm selling my GTX 960 and waiting for the 570 or 580 myself since I have a FreeSync monitor. Doesn't look like Vega will trickle into the midrange anytime soon.

DonMigs85

Yeah, it's supposed to have tiling, and the ROPs are now clients of the L2 cache instead of the memory controller. Taking more pages from Nvidia's book.

better be dirt cheap this rx500 series. otherwise it's rather pointless and will just piss of consumers.

Really confusing what is what here, as last month a '580' was benched in AotS and scored about 15% faster than the 480.

I dunno if the 580 is a re-brand with a huge clock increase, small Vega 11 or even a small Vega 10. We need some answers. NOWL.

better be dirt cheap this rx500 series. otherwise it's rather pointless and will just piss of consumers.

I don't get posts like these. Whose going to be upset? The 580 will probably be 10-15% faster than the 480, so that's a decent upgrade for guys who are running older cards like the GTX960 or R9 280, or guys who have recently bought a FreeSync monitor and don't have the cash for VEGA.

Really confusing what is what here, as last month a '580' was benched in AotS and scored about 15% faster than the 480.

I dunno if the 580 is a re-brand with a huge clock increase, small Vega 11 or even a small Vega 10. We need some answers. NOWL.

I don't get posts like these. Whose going to be upset? The 580 will probably be 10-15% faster than the 480, so that's a decent upgrade for guys who are running older cards like the GTX960 or R9 280, or guys who have recently bought a FreeSync monitor and don't have the cash for VEGA.

580 is full polaris 10 with ~ 1350 MHz clock

which should result rather in a 7 % perf gain compared to a non ref card (non throtteling)

even if it's 15 % across the board, thats rather bad regarding you usually see a 50-100% gain on perf per price on a full generational update (~2 year circle).

DonMigs85

It's not as bad as the Tahiti rebrand at least... Those were essentially the same cards with no process improvement.

might still be that, if they just shrunk the overclocking headroom. (my 480 clocked stable to 1380 MHz). but i don't think that thats the case.

i guess best case scenario would if they increased memory bandwith complementary to clock speeds, as there were situation where this seemed to be the 480s bottleneck (w3 forest sections for example).

would still be a decent buy if prices would be lowered sub 200 USD/EUR vat included for the 8GB model

580 is full polaris 10 with ~ 1350 MHz clock

which should result rather in a 7 % perf gain compared to a non ref card (non throtteling)

even if it's 15 % across the board, thats rather bad regarding you usually see a 50-100% gain on perf per price on a full generational update (~2 year circle).

It's better than nothing. It's only been 1 year since Polaris.

On the other side Nvidia will just have the same 1050s/1060s in the price bracket for the rest of this year at least. Brilliant opportunity to decisively take the performance crown in the $200 price bracket for ATI.

Seriously, it's really disappointing that AMD is waiting to almost the beginning of Summer for VEGA to be released (supposedly late May, early June). The fact it will be released over 2 months after the 1080 Ti, that's pretty bad. I want AMD to do well and be more competitive in the high end desktop market, but their timing hasn't been good. Their timing hasn't been that good for a long time. Ryzen was the best timed thing they've done in years.

Irobot82

Seriously, it's really disappointing that AMD is waiting to almost the beginning of Summer for VEGA to be released (supposedly late May, early June). The fact it will be released over 2 months after the 1080 Ti, that's pretty bad. I want AMD to do well and be more competitive in the high end desktop market, but their timing hasn't been good. Their timing hasn't been that good for a long time. Ryzen was the best timed thing they've done in years.

Unless AMD can get away from Global Foundries it's just going to keep going this way.

sfried

Does AMD have any plans to replace the R9 Nano? I could use a brand new small form factor GPU.

I saw the 1080 actually being available now in miniITX, but it might be a steep price to pay.

Does AMD have any plans to replace the R9 Nano? I could use a brand new small form factor GPU.

I saw the 1080 actually being available now in miniITX, but it might be a steep price to pay.

VEGA is replacing the R9 Fury series, so you might get a MINIVEGA somewhere down the line.

You also might not. It's all speculation at the moment.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a Vega-based successor to the Nano.

dr_rus

AMD Radeon RX 570 and 580 exposed

AMD-Radeon-RX-570-cooling-solution.jpg

AMD-Radeon-RX-570-GPU.jpg

AMD-Radeon-RX-570-back.jpg

So just rebadged and slightly overclocked 470/480. I don't even know why they bother. It's not as if rebranding 200 series as 300 magically made them sell.

dr_rus

So just rebadged and slightly overclocked 470/480. I don't even know why they bother. It's not as if rebranding 200 series as 300 magically made them sell.

It did actually, but mostly because they doubled the VRAM on 300 series. Doesn't look like anything of the sort for the 500 so yeah, seems like a mostly pointless lineup switch.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I still think it's for manufacturers. I expected them to transition to a 500 series with Vega if only because of that well before it was confirmed, and had people telling me I was wrong and that Vega was totally going to be higher tiers in the 400 series and Fury replacements.

Manufacturers selling prebuilt PCs want higher numbers than the old model to be able to list for their systems. Even if the performance difference is negligible they can get away with marking up a PC with a brand new 580 for more than one with an old hat 480.

Nvidia has done the same thing, but without pushing the cards to retail. I know there was an OEM-only GTX 300 series.

I still think it's for manufacturers. I expected them to transition to a 500 series with Vega if only because of that well before it was confirmed, and had people telling me I was wrong and that Vega was totally going to be higher tiers in the 400 series and Fury replacements.

Manufacturers selling prebuilt PCs want higher numbers than the old model to be able to list for their systems. Even if the performance difference is negligible they can get away with marking up a PC with a brand new 580 for more than one with an old hat 480.

Nvidia has done the same thing, but without pushing the cards to retail. I know there was an OEM-only GTX 300 series.

You may be right, but I've never seen a single pre-built desktop PC with an AMD card. They all use Intel graphics now, except for a few Alienware-type gaming PCs which have Nvidia.

Nvidia also had the OEM-only GTX 800M series, rebadges of 700M specifically for laptops. This is why on the desktop we skipped directly from the GTX 700 to the GTX 900 series.

Renekton

390 outperformed 290X by quite a bit nowadays, I guess that's kinda okay.

AMD dodged a small bullet when NV partner title Mass Effect missed the mark. My friends and I were looking to eat the markups to upgrade for the game, but now we can slowly wait till Vega, x299 and x390

tuxfool

Banned
That’s right folks. If our sources are correct, you’re holding onto some underwhelming mid-range graphics cards that will be completely decimated by AMD’s newest architecture (at least according to the leaked slides). I am personally blown away by this new info. It’s simply unbelievable that AMD managed to spank NVIDIA so hard, with a much smaller R&D budget. Mind you, we should wait for third party reviews, but the spread this slide suggests is just massive! Check out this glorious slide featuring Vega completely decimating the competition.

What? The graphs have no axes, wtf are they talking about? What are they comparing them against?

Sotha_Sil

What? The graphs have no axes, wtf are they talking about? What are they comparing them against?

I like and use AMD, but their promotional slides are such a joke. I'm happy with my 480 4gb, but the right price/performance with Vega could get me to upgrade.

tuxfool

Banned
I like and use AMD, but their promotional slides are such a joke. I'm happy with my 480 4gb, but the right price/performance with Vega could get me to upgrade.

They're all guilty of using shitty graphs in their marketing. However, people used to seeing these things should know better than to blurt out garbage. AMD might not even be comparing it to the same GPUs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
WCCF is the site that said 480s overclock amazingly and when OC'd they compared favorably to the 1070. I wouldn't trust anything from them.

uhhh where's the fan or vents for it?

If real, it's probably taking after the Fury X and is liquid cooled, so no fan on the card.

diehard

Fleer
amd-deckfix2-07.jpg

ahh this slide would explain my earlier question

I thought the name of the card was actually Vega.. why the Rage moniker? Vega Rage sounds dumb

edit: oh fuck you WCCFtech, claim april fools but you know you doing this shit for hits

goddamn they even had the same specs for the last 2 cards, i feel stupid

tuxfool

Banned
Of course, the other alternative here is that it is all an April fools prank. I couldn't see it before but the date at the bottom of the slides is April 1st.

Top Bottom