• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

AMD's doing a GDC talk on how to optimize programs for their Ryzen CPUs, and according to the blurb, the chips should be out by then:

Source - Anandtech
1.png

The GDC event runs from February 27th to March 3rd, and currently the AMD talk is not on the exact schedule yet, so it could appear any day during the event (so be wary if anyone says Feb 27th). At this time AMD has not disclosed an exact date either, but it would be an interesting time to announce the new set of Ryzen CPUs right in the middle of both GDC and Mobile World Congress which is also during that week. It would mean that Ryzen news may end up being buried under other GDC and smartphone announcements.

Mid-late February/Early March release would make them fairly competitive with Intel, especially if AMD manages to avoid massive distribution problems/shortages.

Drazgul

Hopefully the price isn't crazy in Canada, though I could have family grab them in the states.

Well they're roughly on par with Intel's offerings performance-wise (afaik?), so they kinda have to beat them in price, right?

I may very well be getting my first AMD cpu since my Athlon XP 1800+, heh.

Rains

glad i did not wait needed a new one a built it before xmas wouild have been annoyied if it launch in jan still going to be intrested in how it will effect pricing ect down the line Intel need competion

Smokey

Confirmed Ryzen will be launching in March:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3163...-in-early-march-followed-by-the-vega-gpu.html

”There will be widespread system availability from day one," Su said during the call. Channel vendors will receive the first Ryzen chips, along with system integrators. More traditional hardware vendors will come later, Su added.

That statement implies that vendors like Dell or HP (neither of which have been officially confirmed to be using the Ryzen chip) will be asked to wait, while AMD caters to boutique PC vendors. Ryzen will take on Intel's highest-end Core chips, specifically the Core i5 and Core i7 processors, Su said.

Vega Q2

What's new, though, is a Vega timetable: Su revealed that the Vega GPUs will ship during the second quarter as well. In the second half of 2017, AMD still plans to launch a Zen-based APU, codenamed ”Raven Ridge," primarily designed for notebooks but also some desktops.

Hesemonni

Banned
I wanted to go all red for my PC just for shits and giggles, but Vega seems to be eluding me all.

Isn't Volta just around the corner also?

I wanted to go all red for my PC just for shits and giggles, but Vega seems to be eluding me all.

Isn't Volta just around the corner also?
We'll be seeing the 1080 Ti first. That's not Volta, just high-end Pascal. It'll probably (almost for sure) beat Vega to market, but we'll have to wait and see. I expect a good long run with that until GV104 shows up around 2018. If Vega turns out to be a threat, we might see 1080 Ti Ultra/Black/Plus/etc. with a fully enabled GP102 as well.

Renekton

Targeting the Cyberpowers, and ibuypowers of the world ahead of HP, Dell, Lenovo is hilarious.
I think it is the other way round, despite what PCW says.

Dell and friends favor stability and take a long time to accept any new AMD stuff into their product lines.

Reallink

We'll be seeing the 1080 Ti first. That's not Volta, just high-end Pascal. It'll probably (almost for sure) beat Vega to market, but we'll have to wait and see. I expect a good long run with that until GV104 shows up around 2018. If Vega turns out to be a threat, we might see 1080 Ti Ultra/Black/Plus/etc. with a fully enabled GP102 as well.

Nvidia has certainly been sitting on the Ti to directly counter Vega, probably ready to ship at any time and adjust pricing accordingly. AMD has drug their ass for so long though, Q2 will mark the 1 year anniversary of the 10 series and it would make more branding and marketing sense to just do an 11 series rebadge that pushes the performance up a tier and price down a tier (i.e. Ti becomes 1180, 1080 becomes 1170, 1070 becomes 1160), with minor tweaks, refinements, and clock boosts.

Ooo... I do want. No pricing details yet? I'm on a 5820k, so we'll see the performance. But I'd love to support AMD if the price is right. I'm guessing it won't be worth jumping ship quite yet though for me.

Hesemonni

Banned
Ooo... I do want. No pricing details yet? I'm on a 5820k, so we'll see the performance. But I'd love to support AMD if the price is right. I'm guessing it won't be worth jumping ship quite yet though for me.
I doubt you'll find any performance gain to justify the switch. You'll be good for a looong time.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Any reason a laptop APU like Raven Ridge couldn't end up in Scorpio?

Your looking for semi custom configurations. Raven's ridge is AMD's own APU configuration for their own product line. They don't just swap out parts for costumers

Still no benchmarks. It's been so damn long waiting for zen. I just want the hard info. The price and when i can buy one to replace this damn i5 750 from '09.

It's making me have doubts on the performance of these chips. The only reason i havent upgraded to intel is because amd plans on supporting the am4 platform for years.

jfoul

Is AMD releasing entry level variants on day one? I'm building a simple work desktop for my home office around that time. I've only been focusing on the high end market.

Mohasus

Is AMD releasing entry level variants on day one? I'm building a simple work desktop for my home office around that time. I've only been focusing on the high end market.

I don't think they can beat the pentium G4560. That's the best value out there right now, it is crazy.

Head.spawn

It's going to be a huge change of pace to not filter out all AMD CPU's every single time I go to start looking at potential PC builds.

Javin98

Banned
Is there even any indication that we will soon see a relatively big increase in CPU power in the next few years? I recall something along the lines of the fabrication process already fully tapped out and silicon just isn't suitable for stronger CPU's? Regardless, we haven't seen any significant CPU gains between generations from their respective predecessors for almost a decade now. It's the reason an i7 from 2009 or even before is still pretty decent today.

Renekton

Is there even any indication that we will soon see a relatively big increase in CPU power in the next few years? I recall something along the lines of the fabrication process already fully tapped out and silicon just isn't suitable for stronger CPU's? Regardless, we haven't seen any significant CPU gains between generations from their respective predecessors for almost a decade now. It's the reason an i7 from 2009 or even before is still pretty decent today.
They were referring to consoles, whose CPUs are below Sandy Bridge i3. So there is huge room for improvement even if leader Intel stands pat.

Javin98

Banned
They were referring to consoles, whose CPUs are below Sandy Bridge i3. So there is huge room for improvement even if leader Intel stands pat.
Yeah, I know they were referring to Zen being in next gen consoles. I am confused by the "just in time for a new gen of CPU's" phrase. Was it not referring to the PC space and implying some sort of tangible gain in CPU performance?

Please be good AMD, competition is badly needed in the CPU market. I am willing to commit to AMD CPUs for my new build if they are.

Renekton

Yeah, I know they were referring to Zen being in next gen consoles. I am confused by the "just in time for a new gen of CPU's" phrase. Was it not referring to the PC space and implying some sort of tangible gain in CPU performance?
Most likely very specific to AMD and consoles, not for the overall industry landscape.

There are 5 rumoed SKUs, so yea definitely :D

Top Bottom