• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

Only if you paired it with super fast RAM. Which make the system get expensive and defeat the propose of low budget.

The apu would use HBM, which is "super fast" ram...... along with traditional ddr4.

AMD will have APUs for not just low budget laptops. They're going to be for a broader range. From ultrabooks to full laptops. Not sure where you got "budget" from. The APU with zen and a strong gpu is what will save vendors $ since they dont need a dGPU

The rumors put entry quadcore Zens launch to end of 2nd quarter if I'm not mistaken. March is for octocores only.
No, they've committed in interviews with PCWorld to releasing the full stack on launch day.

The thing is whether that full stack of products includes 4c/4t and 6c/12t CPUs at all. There are recent rumors saying we'll only get 4c/8t, 8c/8t, and 8c/16t CPUs.

Unfortunately, AMD is keeping everything close to the chest right now, trying to avoid overpromising and underdelivering, but that just causes rumors to persist and grow out of control, causing tons of confusion and possible disappointment.

REALLY curious to see some benchmarks on these. From my (mostly) uninformed perspective Intel has been shitting the bed lately with their processors.

Adam M

nice but it won't be as competitive as most of us think

4 cores Ryzen - $200
6 cores - $350
8 cores - $650
8 cores BE - $700-750

Puggles

Hoping for the best. I really don't want to support Intel's laziness with the 7700k but it is definitively time to upgrade my 8350.

Hoping for 6700K performance for less money. If that happens, I'll upgrade to AMD.

zAuSyCo.gif

So where are the benchmarks?
We'd be lucky if they actually let the review embargo up before launch. As it is, I think we're going to get the official launch date and maybe core speeds in the middle of February, and tech sites would get samples around that time.

Can't come soon enough. Literally waiting to see how these turn out before upgrading my old i5 2320, motherboard and RAM.
At the moment, I'm looking at i5 6600K on eBay that are going for as low as £160, so I'm hoping these are reasonably priced.

dr_rus

No, they've committed in interviews with PCWorld to releasing the full stack on launch day.

The thing is whether that full stack of products includes 4c/4t and 6c/12t CPUs at all. There are recent rumors saying we'll only get 4c/8t, 8c/8t, and 8c/16t CPUs.

Unfortunately, AMD is keeping everything close to the chest right now, trying to avoid overpromising and underdelivering, but that just causes rumors to persist and grow out of control, causing tons of confusion and possible disappointment.

I don't read marketing stuff (which most interviews are) but this is the latest rumour on Zen quads: AMD said to have begun sampling quad-core Ryzen processors. If they've began sampling them in January there's no way in hell they'll be able to launch them on 3rd of March.

I'm expecting SR5 and SR7 launch in March with SR3 coming later. SR3 is arguably the only part of the market which they have covered right now so there's no rush with quad core SKUs.

That runs counter to the rumors that we aren't getting hexacore Zen CPUs. Also, seems weird they'd be using the R# naming scheme on their CPUs after just dropping it from their GPUs...

leeh

A, possible, list of Ryzen CPU models has been leaked. Revealing quad-, hexa- and octacore configurations.

amd-ryzen_r7_r5_r3.png

Source
My hope for Zen intensifies. These are all the models which are launching next month?!

I'm guessing the Intel column is respective performance?

That runs counter to the rumors that we aren't getting hexacore Zen CPUs. Also, seems weird they'd be using the R# naming scheme on their CPUs after just dropping it from their GPUs...

I'm not sure why we wouldn't get hexa-cores if it means they can salvage more from their wafers.

And yeah this naming scheme seems pants on head. Surely R4,6,8 would be better: it makes sense and is a higher number than Intel.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
paging Senjutsu...

...for notebooks and select desktops, which is irrelevant to Scorpio. Su has said no less than twice, and as recently as a few months ago, that AMD won't begin accepting semi-custom contracts for Zen until 2018 or 2019.

leeh

...for notebooks and select desktops, which is irrelevant to Scorpio. Su has said no less than twice, and as recently as a few months ago, that AMD won't begin accepting semi-custom contracts for Zen until 2018 or 2019.
If Scorpio does have Zen, I can imagine going to be two of the notebook varieties strapped together as they're 4c/8t.

People are focusing too much on that quote.

JaseC

If Scorpio does have Zen, I can imagine going to be two of the notebook varieties strapped together as they're 4c/8t.

That would be a semi-custom solution, and again, the APUs are only for notebooks and select desktops, neither of which apply to Scorpio.

People are focusing too much on that quote.

If anything, it's those on the the other side of the fence who are being too optimistic.

leeh

That would be a semi-custom solution, and again, the APUs are only for notebooks and select desktops, neither of which apply to Scorpio.

If anything, it's those on the the other side of the fence who are being too optimistic.
I'd argue saying we have more evidence to point us to Zen than not, but god-damn this has been discussed too much. I just want to know if it is or not.

JaseC

I'd argue saying we have more evidence to point us to Zen than not, but god-damn this has been discussed too much. I just want to know if it is or not.

Actual evidence or just different interpretations of what's been said? Even Digital Foundry mentioned merely less than two weeks ago that Zen seems unlikely based on the language in the supposed Scorpio document it received. Regardless, you're right that this little circus needs to end sooner rather than later. I hope MS announces hard specs at E3, to say nothing of the fact that it'd certainly be in MS' best interest for it to compel those tempted by the Pro or a modest PC upgrade to continue sitting on their hands.

leeh

Actual evidence or just different interpretations of what's been said? Even Digital Foundry mentioned merely less than two weeks ago that Zen seems unlikely based on the language in the supposed Scorpio document it received. Regardless, you're right that this little circus needs to end sooner rather than later. I hope MS announces hard specs at E3, to say nothing of the fact that it'd certainly be in MS' best interest for it to compel those tempted by the Pro or a modest PC upgrade to continue sitting on their hands.
You must know that document was from last year, and, regarding the 30fps > 60fps, it may be referring to interpolation to 60fps for 30fpd games.

JaseC

You must know that document was from last year, and, regarding the 30fps > 60fps, it may be referring to interpolation to 60fps for 30fpd games.

Sure, but there being a fundamental architectural change ~15 months from the console being put into production (assuming a November 2017 release) strikes me as rather unlikely. If it wasn't Zen-based ~six months ago, it's not going to be Zen-based now. But, hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong! I'm not averse to expressing a modicum of humility.

Kudo

This already feels way too much like the usual AMD hype then disappointment cycle.

Agreed, I know better not to get hyped for AMD but can't help it.
The temptation of very cheap i7-level performance for HTPC is just too much, maybe they'll get it right.

leeh

Sure, but there being a fundamental architectural change ~15 months from the console being put into production (assuming a November 2017 release) strikes me as rather unlikely. If it wasn't Zen-based ~six months ago, it's not going to be Zen-based now. But, hey, if I'm wrong, I'm wrong! I'm not averse to expressing a modicum of humility.
It was never quoted to be Jaguar in that whitepaper, that's what I'm saying. DF jumped to conclusion with what that whitepaper meant, it simply could be something similar to the PS4's 120fps projection for VR.

THE:MILKMAN

It was never quoted to be Jaguar in that whitepaper, that's what I'm saying. DF jumped to conclusion with what that whitepaper meant, it simply could be something similar to the PS4's 120fps projection for VR.

But don't you think it slightly odd that since the announcement Microsoft (nor anyone) has really even mentioned the CPU re: Scorpio? A lot of talk/hype about the GPU, RAM and bandwidth etc, but just 8 CPU cores mentioned in passing.

Maybe Microsoft are just going for a mike drop moment for when they do announce specs but I'm not so sure that is their style. They have bragged about the above three specs that are clearly above Pro, though.....

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer here but the Scorpio talk is almost an exact copy of the Pro talk and depressingly my thoughts on that turned out right.

JaseC

Yeah, I realise that. I myself have read the article. ;)

wapplew

In theory, if AMD capable to produce a Zen APU with 6TF late 2017, they should able to make desktop APU with similar power right?
That would help them compete with Intel big time. I wonder why they choose to make Raven Ridge with only 16CU.

kabel

In theory, if AMD capable to produce a Zen APU with 6TF late 2017, they should able to make desktop APU with similar power right?
That would help them compete with Intel big time. I wonder why they choose to make Raven Ridge with only 16CU.

RR with 16CUs?

Last I heard was 4 Zen Cores + 12 CUs.

These APUs have a TDP of 65/95W. You can't sell 180W APUs like in the consoles.

ethomaz

Banned
The title is not accurate, no?

What the article says is that GDC happens from Feb 27 to Mar 3 and they expect AMD to launch Ryzen there.

But AMD could just announce the release date at GDC.

Hopefully they'll have decent APUs in the 28/35W range, and ultrabooks with somewhat of a gaming capability will appear.
(Somewhat on the line of the Xiaomi Air 13)

ethomaz

Banned
Why can't they sell 180W APUs? Cooling issue?
Marketing issues.

180W APU didn't fit mobile/notebook and anybody with $$$ for a 180W APU will choose a dedicated CPU and GPU on desktop.

There is no enough buyers for that type of APU... APU is synonymous of cheaper and low power.

Thraktor

Why can't they sell 180W APUs? Cooling issue?

Power delivery and cooling. The new AM4 motherboards are designed to deliver a certain maximum amount of power to the CPU (likely about 100W, I'm not sure what the spec is), so a 180W APU would need an entirely new socket and custom motherboards. They'd also have to include a hell of a cooler in there to keep it cool.

Besides, by far the largest market for their APUs will be laptops (with lower wattage chips commanding the highest premiums), so they're likely to focus on that ahead of entry-level desktop gaming.

leeh

But don't you think it slightly odd that since the announcement Microsoft (nor anyone) has really even mentioned the CPU re: Scorpio? A lot of talk/hype about the GPU, RAM and bandwidth etc, but just 8 CPU cores mentioned in passing.

Maybe Microsoft are just going for a mike drop moment for when they do announce specs but I'm not so sure that is their style. They have bragged about the above three specs that are clearly above Pro, though.....

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer here but the Scorpio talk is almost an exact copy of the Pro talk and depressingly my thoughts on that turned out right.
They've done the same for the GPU as well and just mentioned 6TF when it's probably going to be Vega.

I just think they were just drip feeding/playing safe.

wapplew

Marketing issues.

180W APU didn't fit mobile/notebook and anybody with $$$ for an 180W APU will choose a dedicated CPU and GPU on desktop.

There is no enough buyers for that type of APU.

I think there is a market for APU with that kind of power, an APU with close to i7+GTX1070 performance, it will sell like hot cake.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Of course a variant will be included on Playstation 5 and Xbox Two.

This if Sony doesn't make their own chips again like they did for Playstation 3.

Lol, i think that Sony will be staying far away from that kind of investment for the foreseeable future

ethomaz

Banned
I think there is a market for APU with that kind of power, an APU with close to i7+GTX1070 performance, it will sell like hot cake.
That will be way over 180W.

And this type of buyer will change to next i7 or next GTX 1170 in the future.

APU is not an option for mid/high end desktop... this option will be a failure.

Durante

If that table up there is accurate, that is a whole lot of models.
And a bit disappointing clocks on the 4 core ones. But really, at this point I just want to see the results of a comprehensive benchmark suite run by a third party.

ethomaz

Banned
And a bit disappointing clocks on the 4 core ones. But really, at this point I just want to see the results of a comprehensive benchmark suite run by a third party.
Well rumors says only the 4C8T and one of 8C16T will be launched in March... the 8C8T will launch up to 4 months late and the 6C12T was removed from the release schedule.

THE:MILKMAN

They've done the same for the GPU as well and just mentioned 6TF when it's probably going to be Vega.

I just think they were just drip feeding/playing safe.

Disagree there. The 3+ minute announce video from last E3 was entirely about the GPU save for 8 CPU cores comment right at the end.

It was said this is a no compromise console that is what devs said they wanted which does in theory suggest Zen but I wouldn't bank on it.

I wonder when solid leaks about specs will start?

dr_rus

This already feels way too much like the usual AMD hype then disappointment cycle.

Yeah, people should not be expecting Zen to be able to compete with Intel's top end stuff (x700 and x900 models). This would just set them up for a disappointment.

Thraktor

I thought the same regarding model numbers until I remembered the number of models Intel releases each year. I'd imagine AMD have a few different TDP options for each core count in there.

I'm not quite so concerned with clock speeds given that all models (and motherboards) should support overclocking, and if they're including Wraith coolers then you actually get a semi-decent cooler too. The real question is how well they overclock.

Durante

I'm not quite so concerned with clock speeds given that all models (and motherboards) should support overclocking, and if they're including Wraith coolers then you actually get a semi-decent cooler too. The real question is how well they overclock.
Sure. My comment was predicated on the idea that the clocks on the chips with lower core count could be somewhat indicative of the overclocking potential (since total power consumption shouldn't be as limiting a factor with 4 cores as it is with 8 or 6). With Intel, you get 6 cores at significantly higher base clocks than 8, and 4 cores at significantly higher base clocks again than 6, while in that table it looks pretty flat.

Top Bottom