• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

diehard

Fleer
Intel has a 22 core 44 thread CPU as it's top of the line multicore CPU at the moment: http://ark.intel.com/products/91317/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v4-55M-Cache-2_20-GHz

Skylake-X being the next gen of the "E" platform was always supposed to up the number of cores from BWE so it's not in the least surprising to see that they are planning a 12 core CPU for its top place.

I doubt that Intel will need it to fight 8 core Ryzen, what they'll need though is to lower the prices on most of their top tier CPUs and thus I can see them introducing a 12 core BWE CPU in place of 6950X with the lowering of prices of 6950X and 6900K.

http://ark.intel.com/products/96900/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E7-8894-v4-60M-Cache-2_40-GHz

is actually their highest end CPU, and you can get 8!

Pagusas

Elden Member
Wonder if AMD will return to form in yhe GPU market also with Vega. They should bring back the ATI name if they do.

Buggy Loop

So Intel lost the edge on all the sub 1000$ CPUs and they threaten (if we go by the rumor) to drop a 12core/24 thread that is probably server kind of $$$$ ?

22ac8884fd0df07355f0ae5a940a4cde42cd257b9387ab734ac927a1653b2dd1.jpg

Steel

Banned
Should I upgrade my i5 4670K 4.2 GHz yet or wait?

I wouldn't say you really need to even if Ryzen is awesome, tbh, but definitely at least wait until gaming benchmarks if you really want to upgrade.

It could be worse. My first buy ended up being at $5.50 but currently my cost basis is a saddening $9.88.

That one guy who made $83k makes me jealous as all hell.

Damn, only made a fraction of that. Who made 83k?

Don't believe anything from Wccftech.

Beating Kaby Lake on single threaded is very suspect.

Yeah it does sound a bit too good to be true. But if it is true...

n0razi

Really can't wait to see real world benches. My 2500k is starting to show its age really bad.

what? I have 2 desktops, one with an i5 2400 and the other with an i7 6770K and there is literally no difference in day to day use and most games even. When I'm doing X265 encoding I see a MASSIVE boost but thats about it.

SZips

Don't believe anything from Wccftech.

Beating Kaby Lake on single threaded is very suspect.

Seriously this. I can't help but roll my eyes any time some news or benchmark comes out of WCCFTech.

I'd rather wait for pretty much any other site to get their benchmarks and reviews out than take them at their word.

FingerBang

I can't believe this is happening. Like, what are the chances this are all lies and Ryzen sucks?

I plan to build a new rig in June (have been waiting for Ryzen and Vega to come out since... forever), for both programming and gaming. I was thinking of a 1600X at first but 8/16 c/t at that price seems hard to pass on.

God, it feels like 2003 all over again.

Nothing can top AMD Ryzen Launch |OT| Affordable Core Act.

Wow. Just wow.

strata8

I can't believe this is happening. Like, what are the chances this are all lies and Ryzen sucks?

I plan to build a new rig in June (have been waiting for Ryzen and Vega to come out since... forever), for both programming and gaming. I was thinking of a 1600X at first but 8/16 c/t at that price seems hard to pass on.

Performance-wise probably a very low chance, but there are still some wildcards

- Power consumption
- Overclocking potential
- Memory performance

Just from what I've seen going around... I guess we'll find out in a few days.

I was tempted to build a Rizen system but I've always hated AMD and this forced my hand. Intel with a 12 core now? Welcome back!

How can anyone hate AMD that much where they ignore how AMD has matched a CPU for half the price while anticipating a new CPU that we have no idea what it will retail for?

Cptkrush

what? I have 2 desktops, one with an i5 2400 and the other with an i7 6770K and there is literally no difference in day to day use and most games even. When I'm doing X265 encoding I see a MASSIVE boost but thats about it.
It's 6 years old, been at 4.5ghz the entire time, and I'm getting hitching in CPU bound games that I've never had hitching in. Granted it could be a lot of different things, but my money is on the half decade old CPU I'm using.

Rains

Even tho i bought a 6600k 4 months ago am glad ryzen is looking good if anything it will make intel work harder

Jimrpg

Wow. Just wow.

No this is the real deal I think. I think AMD have really hit a homerun with this.

The Ryzen 5 1400X looks to be a real sweet spot. It offers similar cores/threads/clocks to an i7 and its only $199! That's almost like half the price of an i7-7700k.

Lower is better in that test.

Yeah, but that's still one hell of a lot better than the FX and Athlon CPUs. And when you factor that it's using stock clocks into it, it still looks really good.

Edit:Apparently it was an engineering sample too, so no turbo clocks, either.

With regards to the benchmarks above - remember those benchmarks are essentially of a Ryzen CPU at its worst performance (due to memory constraints).

Considering those may be "worst case setup" numbers, Ryzen is looking pretty darn good to me.

With regards to the benchmarks above - remember those benchmarks are essentially of a Ryzen CPU at its worst performance (due to memory constraints).

Considering those may be "worst case setup" numbers, Ryzen is looking pretty darn good to me.
A little awkward those results considering the gap between haswell and skylake being less than the one between skylake and kaby lake. 🤔
Apparently these benchmarks were done with an engineering sample CPU (so lower clocks) and possibly a motherboard without full BIOS, so who knows how a production CPU would do with Dolphin.

Looks good, for the price and 8 cores you get comparable fps to a 6700k in games on a gimped sample.

Will like to see how they overclock and the memory working correctly. Also me details than just average fps in benches.

Do we know what gpu they were using?

Top Bottom