• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

NeOak

Whats so special about this? you can hit that easily and beyond now with any z170/270 intel boards. I'm running that right now with 14-14-14-34-2T timings on 32GB of Gskil F4-32200C14 at 1.36v

Has AMD been low on memory frequency until Ryzen?
There were rumors of being capped at 2666 even for OC.

cyen

Whats so special about this? you can hit that easily and beyond now with any z170/270 intel boards. I'm running that right now with 14-14-14-34-2T timings on 32GB of Gskil F4-32200C14 at 1.36v

Has AMD been low on memory frequency until Ryzen?

Rumors that ryzen was having trouble running ddr4 over 2666mhz

Weevilone

Anyone have recommendations for M.2?

I've narrowed it down to either 960 EVO or Toshiba OCZ RD400?

MyDigitalSSD is a great budget drive, which I mentioned on a recent page. The Samsungs are faster and more expensive, but it's a solid drive. I'd have one if I could get 1TB.

pooptest

MyDigitalSSD is a great budget drive, which I mentioned on a recent page. The Samsungs are faster and more expensive, but it's a solid drive. I'd have one if I could get 1TB.

I was only looking at the 250GB~ range. Both are only $129~ish, which I'm perfectly fine with. I'd prefer the extra speed, because why not.

And thank you.

Weevilone

I was only looking at the 250GB~ range. Both are only $129~ish, which I'm perfectly fine with. I'd prefer the extra speed, because why not.

And thank you.

I don't know what the performance landscape looks like at 256. It's often considerably slower due to the lack of parallelism to take advantage of.

pooptest

I don't know what the performance landscape looks like at 256. It's often considerably slower due to the lack of parallelism to take advantage of.

Yeah, I did notice that. But at the 250GB~ range, it seems like the EVO is the best bang for the buck, maybe... ?

I wish I had listened to my gut and bought those AMD shares when they were around $2.

Dammit.

Don't feel bad. I bought it at $3.03...... but only 3 shares :(

I bought in a few weeks ago and already made $200.

I just gotta decide if I want to sell now or see how much longer it will go up.

Yeah, I did notice that. But at the 250GB~ range, it seems like the EVO is the best bang for the buck, maybe... ?

Don't feel bad. I bought it at $3.03...... but only 3 shares :(

I had a couple of grand lying around and was looking to invest, would have made a killing but i decided to go on holiday with it instead :(

I'd hold onto them, if the CPU's are as good as well all think they will be, the price should continue to rise.

Worst case they're shit and the price falls, then you sell and recoup.

Iastfan112

Neo Member
I wish I had listened to my gut and bought those AMD shares when they were around $2.

Dammit.

I mostly invest in mutual funds but I do have some play around money in stocks. AMD has been very beneficial to me over the past half decade. Bought at 2 and sold at 4 back in 2012-2013 and then bought at 2 again in 2015 sold half at 7.30 a few months ago. Thinking about cashing out out the rest now. Would be able to pay for a gaming pc and laptop this year just on the profits alone.

OryoN

Dammit.

Can I punch you in the head, please? :D

I bought shares a couple months ago, and was kicking myself because I missed the chance to buy at a little over $9.00. Eventually had to settle for a bit over $11. Still profited, but wow, I would have made a killing at $2/share. :eek:

If that's the overall trend when the final reviews come out.. just wow.

Keep it coming I've already almost paid for the processor upgrade on AMD's stocks!

Can I punch you in the head, please? :D

I bought shares a couple months ago, and was kicking myself because I missed the chance to buy at a little over $9.00. Eventually had to settle for a bit over $11. Still profited, but wow, I would have made a killing at $2/share. :eek:

Many of us are there. I asked for advice back when they were at 2 about buying and my family talked me out of investing because just like now I only had about $1000 to buy stocks with and it was the money I had set aside for social/gaming etc. I was really frustrated back then and didn't want to let that happen again. I've been on the fence too many times and missed out not to do it this time.

Many of us are there. I asked for advice back when they were at 2 about buying and my family talked me out of investing because just like now I only had about $1000 to buy stocks with and it was the money I had set aside for social/gaming etc. I was really frustrated back then and didn't want to let that happen again. I've been on the fence too many times and missed out not to do it this time.

You think that's bad, my dad was looking to invest $10,000 a year ago, back when AMD was at $1.80. I almost talked him into going all-in, but he backed out at the last minute because he didn't feel like "gambling" with his money, and put it into a 4% CD instead.

He gets angry everytime he looks at AMD stock performance.

Steel

Banned
You think that's bad, my dad was looking to invest $10,000 a year ago, back when AMD was at $1.80. I almost talked him into going all-in, but he backed out at the last minute because he didn't feel like "gambling" with his money, and put it into a 4% CD instead.

As someone who got in at 2 I still get mad for selling half of that load at 100%. Woulda made double the money I already made. If you invest in anything, prepare to kick yourself no matter what.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

A year ago, people were saying things like "Intel doesn't want AMD to go bankrupt because then they'd face monopoly regulations" and there was a new rumor every week about this or that Asian company that would buy AMD for table scraps. And for the last 10 years, we've been hearing "just wait for [next AMD CPU], that's gonna be the one that finally gives Intel some competition!"

There was a reason it was so cheap. Don't beat yourself up for not knowing then what you know now.

dcx4610

I was tempted to build a Rizen system but I've always hated AMD and this forced my hand. Intel with a 12 core now? Welcome back!

I did the same. My dad would never listen to me though. Like 4 seperate times now with different companies.

There is SO much advertising for Intel right now in anticipation of this.

Crazy, Intel is feeling the heat. Now they will actually be forced to do something, like release a new CPU. Crazy times.

dr_rus

It's Skylake-X, so it's not really going to affect most of the consumer market as much as Ryzen.

Intel has a 22 core 44 thread CPU as it's top of the line multicore CPU at the moment: http://ark.intel.com/products/91317/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v4-55M-Cache-2_20-GHz

Skylake-X being the next gen of the "E" platform was always supposed to up the number of cores from BWE so it's not in the least surprising to see that they are planning a 12 core CPU for its top place.

I doubt that Intel will need it to fight 8 core Ryzen, what they'll need though is to lower the prices on most of their top tier CPUs and thus I can see them introducing a 12 core BWE CPU in place of 6950X with the lowering of prices of 6950X and 6900K.

Intel has a 22 core 44 thread CPU as it's top of the line multicore CPU at the moment: http://ark.intel.com/products/91317/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2699-v4-55M-Cache-2_20-GHz

Skylake-X being the next gen of the "E" platform was always supposed to up the number of cores from BWE so it's not in the least surprising to see that they are planning a 12 core CPU for its top place.

I doubt that Intel will need it to fight 8 core Ryzen, what they'll need though is to lower the prices on most of their top tier CPUs and thus I can see them introducing a 12 core BWE CPU in place of 6950X with the lowering of prices of 6950X and 6900K.

^

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
where da gaming benches at

i'll buy soon as I get the deets

At first I was concerned that AMD was hiding real benchmarks because it may be less than advertised, but still pretty good.

But...

but..

I am now leaning on the possibility that they want to keep the benchmarks close to their vest until the product is actually released, because otherwise if they came out a few weeks in advance then Intel could immediately announce a killer price cut that would totally take the wings outta the sails for AMD.

Also, there's the rumored 18c32t Ryzen server chip. So, I'm still not sure what that poster's point was regarding going back to Intel over a $1000+ 12c24t server chip vs Ryzen.

dr_rus

Also, there's the rumored 18c32t Ryzen server chip. So, I'm still not sure what that poster's point was regarding going back to Intel over a $1000+ 12c24t server chip vs Ryzen.

Well, the biggest unknown at the moment is how will Intel cores compare to AMD's, and not just in number (that's pretty straight forward) but in single threaded performance which is a function of IPC and clocks (and HT implementation details possibly).

So far the results of Ryzen 7 were somewhat strange as it's not clear why a CPU which shows lower per thread performance is able to beat an Intel CPU with similar number of cores in multithreaded workloads. There are some hints that Zen's HT implementation may be helping a lot here but it also looks like it's just working on higher clocks there.

For games this is even more important as many (most?) games aren't actually scaling that well beyond four-six threads so chances (and expectations) are that a higher performing per thread Intel CPU would be able to beat Ryzen here - but with the factual data on how Ryzen scales in synthetic benchmarks this expectation has become rather moot.

Right now I fully expect Ryzen to perform on par with Intel in most games (talking about i7 and 7 CPUs at the moment), loosing to Intel in those which aren't doing a lot of work outside of 4-6 threads and winning in those which are able to load 8+ threads - this isn't at all different from the earlier expectation of course but now I expect Ryzen 7 to actually win over a 6900K in those latter games as well which wasn't the case previously, simply because it seems that Ryzen 1800X is able to work on noticeably higher clocks than 6900K in multithreaded workloads.

This will surely put a lot of pressure on Intel to recapture the "halo performance" crown thus I think that if there will be changes they'll come in the form of 6900K and 6950X being updated in one way or another.

strata8

More benches from wccftech

1700x is apparently beating 7700k on single threaded bench, beating 6950x on multi-threaded bench.

Has to be overclocked, there's no way the 1700X (or any Ryzen part) is going to beat the 7700K in single-threaded tasks at stock. The max frequency on the 7700K is 10-20% higher.

But all of them are looking to be multi-threading beasts and in any task that uses more than 4 threads they'll probably blow Intel out of the water. I think AMD knows this and it's reflected in the pricing. The top-end Piledriver chip for comparison was priced at $200 because it was destroyed by the i5s and i7s of the time in single-threaded scenarios, and only managed to score between the i5 and i7 in heavily-threaded scenarios. All while consuming almost twice the power. Contrast that to the Ryzen 1800X which could potentially be the fastest consumer processor available.

Top Bottom