• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

DjRalford

Yeah I know but apparently it could launch then as well. We'll see soon.

Supposed flagship R7 1800X CPUZ scores:

aeHfbd7.jpg

How much is the 1800x vs that intel chip?

Edit

Wow £500 or so vs £1500, that can't be right surely

Khaz

The question is will the ones below the mid end be worth buying over Intel. Probably not. Mid/high though could be likely.

Even low tier would be worth it, as it would give you access to AM4 future upgrades, whereas with Intel you would most likely have to change the motherboard with the processor.

wildfire

Banned
How much is the 1800x vs that intel chip?

Edit

Wow £500 or so vs £1500, that can't be right surely

Intel hasn't had proper competition since 2008. That's why they could charge supremely inflated prices for the highest end.

After seeing these results I'm looking forward to the 1600X.

kami_sama

No silly integrated GPU nonsense (at least for the high end market) helps AMD quite a bit here.

Yeah, never knew why there's gpus in high end cpus. I understand that they're needed for most of the segments, and sometimes they're a godsend, but not on high end machines.

Yeah, never knew why there's gpus in high end cpus. I understand that they're needed for most of the segments, and sometimes they're a godsend, but not on high end machines.

Well when my 980 ti went out for warranty replacement with EVGA, the integrated GPU was very much needed in order just to do work on my PC.

kami_sama

I always assumed the integrated "Intel HD" added almost nothing to the final cost.

It's not about cost, but about die space. The more it is used on superfluous things, the less for computing.

Well when my 980 ti went out for warranty replacement with EVGA, the integrated GPU was very much needed in order just to do work on my PC.

Yeah, that's the only qualm I have about removing the gpu. You don't always have a spare gpu lying around. I had to replace my dead 7950 early this year, and the week I was without a dedicated one could have been much worse if my cpu didn't have one.

It's not about cost, but about die space. The more it is used on superfluous things, the less for computing.

Yeah, that's the only qualm I have about removing the gpu. You don't always have a spare gpu lying around. I had to replace my dead 7950 early this year, and the week I was without a dedicated one could have been much worse if my cpu didn't have one.

Well you can get passive GPUs for £25/$30. I have an Nvidia something something that I pop in during the interim between selling and buying new cards (X99 don't have iGPUs).

I wouldn't be surprised if these leaks are true. People seem to think that because of the vast differences in prices between AMD and Intel that it is impossible for Ryzen to do well, but people need to understand that Intel has dominated the market for many years and have done insane price gouging with no competition from AMD. Ryzen price ranges are fair.

Ozorov

I wouldn't be surprised if these leaks are true. People seem to think that because of the vast differences in prices between AMD and Intel that it is impossible for Ryzen to do well, but people need to understand that Intel has dominated the market for many years and have done insane price gouging with no competition from AMD. Ryzen price ranges are fair.

keep your fingers crossed

Even low tier would be worth it, as it would give you access to AM4 future upgrades, whereas with Intel you would most likely have to change the motherboard with the processor.

That's a good point and personally I agree. However I think when we are talking budget, like seriously strict budget PC builders. We're always considering it as a fixed point device like a console. Because the people who are like "I'm building a $500 PC for gaming" basically are the people who just want a console. So you're looking at it like building a static device adhering to the tightest budget possible, that gets sold off of thrown out in 4-5 years.

Arulan

Benchmark thread? Benchmark thread.

@ 4.2Ghz

benchmarkthread5kkqv.png

I hope these turn out well. It'll be good for there to be a lot of people moving up from 4 cores.

am I crazy for wanting to put $5,000 of my money in AMD stock before this card comes out (shit, before the official specs come out even)?

I feel like that's a decent gamble to make.

LilJoka

am I crazy for wanting to put $5,000 of my money in AMD stock before this card comes out (shit, before the official specs come out even)?

The stock already rose something like 500% in the last year so you might be a bit late.

Ty4on

I think it's way more crazy that the Intel chip is $1650 :p

It wouldn't surprise me if Intel overclocked better though. Ryzen seems to top out at 3.4~ which could mean they don't like going much above 3.5.
Still great to see some competition. Crazy that high (not crazy) end chips have been 4 core 8 thread since 2008. Even crazier maybe that the old chip I linked probably beats an FX-8350 if both are overclocked.

Steel

Banned

Well, if you can afford to piss half that away in a worse case scenario, go for it. I have more than that in there, but that's because I bought at $2

pa22word

On an i7 960 atm, and even though things were looking dark when Kaby Lake dropped and was nothing but a rebrand, it's looking like I made a great decision to skip KL and see what zen was going to bring. I mean I made the decision purely out of disgust at intel pulling that shit, but hey sometimes it all works out in the end.

Looking at the 1800x with a very hungry stomach. Gonna be a weird day tho to finally retire the old beast. It's crazy to me when I consider I was still in high school when I built this thing off summer jobs and as a line cook back in the day, and other than the CPU I've pretty much rebuilt it end over end multiple times since then. Seen me through now 4 versions of windows, 2 mobos, 3 graphics cards, 4 HDDs, the DVD to bluray to all digital format wars, PC gaming rising to crazy success, etc. and I still think the damned thing would probably run for another 10 years if I let it. Hopefully this finally marks the time when CPUs start getting competitive again. Would be very nice to see price wars and crazy innovation to bring PC gaming to an even wider audience.

I really hope these benchmarks are close to true. I've been planning to build a PC this year but thought of waiting for Ryzen + Vega. Not sure if I can hold out for Vega though, but maybe Persona 5 can tide me over in the mean time.

Manoko

You guys think it will be worth replacing a 4790K ?
For gaming I mean.

I'm thinking probably not, but I could probably sell it for quite high (enough to cover the midrange Ryzen) before Ryzen comes out.

Top Bottom