• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen CPUs will launch by March 3

Oooh my 5820k hasn't depreciated at all, if Amazon sales/price for the used unit are to be trusted. I bought it in a bundle deal, that brought the 5820k to around $340 or so cost when I bought it.

If I could sell it at $370/380 and my Asus X99a Sli Plus Mobo for $180 or so. I would recoup my entire bundle cost and the ram would have been free lol. Well minus fees and shipping which wouldn't be too bad.

dr_rus

So we gotta patiently wait a week for the official embargo to end? Cause I'm liking these unofficial benches being posted in this thread.

10 more days probably. Latest round of benches posted are quite "official" as in they came directly from AMD, and solely because of that I wouldn't put too much faith in them. Anyone find it a little bit odd that we still have no leaks of actual gaming performance, just the Cinebench again and again? We really need to see proper benchmarks.

Man, March will be so expensive...

2X Ryzen CPUs
2X motherboards
2X AM4 compatible coolers?
2X Nintendo Switch
2X Zelda BotW
2X Mass Effect Andromeda Deluxe
1X Horizon Zero Dawn

10 more days probably. Latest round of benches posted are quite "official" as in they came directly from AMD, and solely because of that I wouldn't put too much faith in them. Anyone find it a little bit odd that we still have no leaks of actual gaming performance, just the Cinebench again and again? We really need to see proper benchmarks.
I find it a little weird but tbh I don't care too much. If it performs the way it does in the various other software benchmarks then I doubt it wil be lagging that much behind in Intel in terms of gaming performance.

PnCIa

Gaming benchmarks presented in the same way as the usual leaks would be put into question a lot more since there is not always an easy way to standardize them. All synthetic benchmarks leaks point to an awesome perf/money/watt CPU.

dr_rus

I find it a little weird but tbh I don't care too much. If it performs the way it does in the various other software benchmarks then I doubt it wil be lagging that much behind in Intel in terms of gaming performance.

The biggest elephant in the room is what kind of performance will we see in games which are unable to take advantage of eight cores. There are a lot of such games still and it's interesting to know where Ryzen will end up in them.

Gaming benchmarks presented in the same way as the usual leaks would be put into question a lot more since there is not always an easy way to standardize them. All synthetic benchmarks leaks point to an awesome perf/money/watt CPU.

Yeah pretty much. A single number would be completely meaningless.

You'd need to disclose the entire system specs, what game it is, scene in the game, settings/resolution, avg/minimums, framerate over time and present the same results for equivalent Intel CPU for comparison.

I'd expect that in a comprehensive review, but not a leak.

Redmoon

Do hope Ryzen lives up to these leaks, and does just as well in games. Would swap over if it does. My days of shelling out max $$$ for every last single digit percent are over when top end hardware breached the $1k barrier.

Ironically my x99 5820k rig went down for the count (thinking the bios update I did bricked the board since the other (unchanged) bios chip wont post either). So it would be prime time to get a 8c/16t cpu and mobo for sub $1k with 6900k+ performance. Also, overclock better than Broadwell-e/Haswell-e on top of that, Ryzen, and we're in for a treat.

Do hope Ryzen lives up to these leaks, and does just as well in games. Would swap over if it does. My days of shelling out max $$$ for every last single digit percent are over when top end hardware breached the $1k barrier.

Ironically my x99 5820k rig went down for the count (thinking the bios update I did bricked the board since the other (unchanged) bios chip wont post either). So it would be prime time to get a 8c/16t cpu and mobo for sub $1k with 6900k+ performance. Also, overclock better than Broadwell-e/Haswell-e on top of that, Ryzen, and we're in for a treat.

The 2011-V3 boards have caused me nothing but trouble. I've had pretty annoying no post a few times already. For whatever reason it won't recognize more two sticks (dual channel) setup anymore. I tested all sticks, RMA'd the Mobo and the CPU both, didn't resolve my issue. I assume it may have been a bios update that's screwed me up as well. Regardless, I just want to move on. First time I've really ever had major issue's with a CPU/Mobo. Even dating back to my first PC's in the early 2000's.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Agreed. Proper benchmarks is definitely a better way of putting it and what I initially meant. The wait continues, but I am somewhat hopeful AMD delivers this time. It can't be that bad in general gaming scenarios, can it? xp

Come on AMD, make it rain motherfuckers!
I share this sentiment.

THE:MILKMAN

I'd have thought all the hardware sites have their reviews ready to go so if Ryzen was well below the hype or even a disappointment there would have been leaks about that by now?

jett

D-Member
mz0bmt7.gif

intel
get
fucking
REKT

Finally an end to their abusive monopolistic hold on the CPU market.

Oxn

Im very happy for AMD right now.

Kinda wish i went with a 480 instead of the 1060.

Freesync monitors are cheaper and in more abundance. Wasnt like that just 9 months ago.

Freesync monitors are cheaper and in more abundance. Wasnt like that just 9 months ago.

There's multiple 8GB 480's out for $175-200 you could always switch pretty easily.

You just made me realize that once I replace my 2500K, my PC will be all AMD except the Intel SSD...

OmegaX06

Some other recent games that use up to 8 threads are Overwatch, Witcher 3, Gears of War 4 and Deus Ex: MD.

Witcher 3 actually scales extremely well beyond 8 threads too:

Watch Dogs 2 will eat up as many cores as you can throw at it. 4 Cores are dead as far as I'm concerned. If you want to future proof at all you need 6 or 8.

Oxn

You just made me realize that once I replace my 2500K, my PC will be all AMD except the Intel SSD...
Toss that intel ssd and get a samsung
Watch Dogs 2 will eat up as many cores as you can throw at it. 4 Cores are dead as far as I'm concerned. If you want to future proof at all you need 6 or 8.

Man i remember the debate was whether to go i5 or i7 for HT. How times have changed.

At this point ill just wait for Vega. Ofcourse itll have to deliver though.

Yea I went 1070 as there wasn't a compelling reason to go from 970 to 480. Was hoping to see a "490" type card from AMD earlier. Hopefully the Volta has good pricing or multiple models.

I usually am not a fan of paying for heavily diminishing returns. Like the 1070 to 1080 is ~20% on average extra performance for more than 50% extra cost.

I bought a Freesync monitor and refuse to buy a G-sync monitor as well, as the reason for Nvidia to not support it, are very poor, considering they are already benefiting from it on their mobile lines. They are actively blocking a standard that benefits all gamers, and especially those on the low/mid end. Fast support of that standard means the faster gamers on console may get access to it, and TV manufacturers consider adding it as well. Hopefully HDMI 2.1 has that effect.

Chris R

Hoping for awesome benches. I'd love to be able to switch back to AMD. Nothing against Intel, but AMD was my first CPU, just had to move away from them when the performance wasn't there.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I wonder if AMD will even make an attempt, to penetrate the gaming laptop market.

I usually am not a fan of paying for heavily diminishing returns. Like the 1070 to 1080 is ~20% on average extra performance for more than 50% extra cost.
The 1080 pays large dividends at 4K.

I wonder if AMD will even make an attempt, to penetrate the gaming laptop market.

The 1080 pays large dividends at 4K.

Well the most recent example I can think of is RE7, which pre overclock

You have 4k performance
1070 @37fps
1080 @46fps
~24% improvement.

For Honor
1070 @34
1080 @42
~23%

They both OC about the same so it shouldn't matter much, great OC cards, that pretty much across the board all get to 2000+ mhz clock, some get slightly more memory than others, but core clock is pretty static. Can't even really push the cards as far as they can safely go.

My 1070 gets Base 1080 performance in benchmarks.

The bulldozer leaks where never this exciting
Everything points to a strong product from AMD this tome.

They were really shit, tbh. And if there was some good benchmarks, it was always accompained with: "but that's it and it doesn't really perform well"

iavi

Exactly why I went with an RX480 as well. It benches blow for blow with a 1060 now after driver updates and freesync is cheaper than Gsync

dr_rus

Agreed. Proper benchmarks is definitely a better way of putting it and what I initially meant. The wait continues, but I am somewhat hopeful AMD delivers this time. It can't be that bad in general gaming scenarios, can it? xp

I'm quite certain that Ryzen will be a hit even if it will perform a bit worse than the hype train suggests at the moment. At this point nothing can be worse for AMD's CPUs than what they've had with BD and SR and Zen does look like a massive improvement in any case.

We know it's coming this fall.

xbox-scorpio-2.png

/s

There's no HBM on this picture :p

I'm quite certain that Ryzen will be a hit even if it will perform a bit worse than the hype train suggests at the moment. At this point nothing can be worse for AMD's CPUs than what they've had with BD and SR and Zen does look like a massive improvement in any case.

That's the way I see it.

Regardless, it'll be a fairly large upgrade from my 2500K and the best bang for the buck.

I probably should have upgraded already considering that my motherboard has been acting up for several months now, but I've held off to see what AMD brought to the table. Looks like my wait will pay off in the form of hundreds of dollars saved.

dr_rus

US prices: (Update) AMD Radeon 7 1800X to cost 499 USD, Ryzen 7 1700X: 399 USD

According to the snapshots of (already unavailable) Amazon pages, the Ryzen 7 1800X is likely to cost 499 USD, while Ryzen 7 1700X might be 100 USD cheaper (399 USD). The bundle on Amazon includes Corsair H100i v2 cooler, but you look down to ‘bundle details', there's a price for each item separately.

More importantly, the release date was confirmed (by Amazon) for March 2nd. For now, let's treat this as a rumor of high-credibility.

Canadian prices from the same source: 1700X - 529 CAD, 1800X - 699 CAD

^ If that Amazon date is accurate, that would mean that reviews will probably be out within seven days.

That was what I meant. It's very disappointing to me that we've now had much better metrics (as in, more representative of the actual experience) to analyze game performance for roughly half a decade, but they are still used only rarely.

That's not to say that I expect Ryzen to do worse in these metrics -- just that we should judge its (and any CPU's) suitability for games based on them rather than average FPS.
To the best of my knowledge, Gamers Nexus is the only PC hardware YouTube channel that always publishes FPS lows.

Top Bottom