• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Voice Cast vs Japanese Voice Cast

From David Hayter to the entire voice cast of Final Fantasy 7. Why do you think it is that the American voice casts get so little respect from companies? Yet the Japanese voice cast are seemingly untouched?

Is there a financial element that we're missing here? Maybe that the American cast even established quality voice actors who get less consistent work than their Japanese counterparts simply ask for "too much" money like the disgraced voice actress of Bayonetta causing producers to decide to cut bait? By why then would they ignore the opportunity to redo the voice-over as DLC and make their money back hand over fist?

Are game studios just not clever enough to see where there is actual value and easy money?

I'm not sure, outside of a special circumstances, that I see what you're describing as being a pervasive issue.

I mean these two have to be the most mainstream examples. From word on the street, they had done the entire game with the original American cast and just redid it... So either they hammed it up so badly or there was a contract dispute after the fact.

Aion002

Because of anime.

Japan voice acting industry is extremely strong, many popular voice actors end up becaming celebrities and branching up to other entertainment segments, like singing, tv shows and stuff.

The key difference is on the consumers, japanese people care about the voice actors, people get interested in animations or games that has their favorite voice actors, while in the rest of the world most people don't really care that much.

Because of anime.

Japan voice acting industry is extremely strong, many popular voice actors end up becaming celebrities and branching up to other entertainment segments, like singing, tv shows and stuff.

The key difference is on the consumers, japanese people care about the voice actors, people get interested in animations or games that has their favorite voice actors, while in the rest of the world most people don't really care that much.

We're talking about voice actors who played their characters for two decades...

NanaMiku

There are some Japanese voice actor who also got problem because of the fanbase. For example is Ai Kayano who visited a shrine that are famous commemorate Japanese who died in war, including war criminals. Almost all Chinese mobile games dropped her.

I'm not into American voice actor so I don't really know. But as Aion002 Aion002 said, Japanese voice actors are really famous in their country. Right now, most Japanese voice actors are marketed as idol/celebrity. Maybe also because of the star power? Japanese VA have selling point (in Japan), compared to American VA (in US). For MGS, Kojima lately have been buddies with Hollywood actor, and we know that Kojima is a movie buff, he even originally wanted to make film.

YukiOnna

In Japan they are treated on high entertainment level with various appearances in outside variety shows, radios, perform in songs and have idol like role on both male and female side, etc. It also creates a strong desire to have consistency in reprising roles (it even had importance for a certain character in Persona 5.) I also think their Casting directors are a lot better, but that's just me who prefers the more strong performance in JP. None of that culture exists here for dubs, they don't have a huge pop culture industry with such impact in that way, it's usually straight tied to Hollywood.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm not into American voice actor so I don't really know. But as Aion002 Aion002 said, Japanese voice actors are really famous in their country. Right now, most Japanese voice actors are marketed as idol/celebrity. Maybe also because of the star power? Japanese VA have selling point (in Japan), compared to American VA (in US). For MGS, Kojima lately have been buddies with Hollywood actor, and we know that Kojima is a movie buff, he even originally wanted to make film.
Also countries have a lot of pride in their work and put their identity into it as an offering of their culture. They don't just want their product to be famous, they want it to be famous as something from their country. When you turn all the voices into western voices, in some way it is kind of like taking the Japan out of a Japanese thing. Final Fantasy Is not western, but when it gets more famous than it ever has been with western voices, it can be received as a western product. They have good reason to dislike this, as many Asian works in particular have been remade as a western product. One that comes to mind is My Sassy Girl, which is a brilliant Korean film and mediocre American film.

Lethal01

From David Hayter to the entire voice cast of Final Fantasy 7. Why do you think it is that the American voice casts get so little respect from companies? Yet the Japanese voice cast are seemingly untouched?

Is there a financial element that we're missing here? Maybe that the American cast even established quality voice actors who get less consistent work than their Japanese counterparts simply ask for "too much" money like the disgraced voice actress of Bayonetta causing producers to decide to cut bait? By why then would they ignore the opportunity to redo the voice-over as DLC and make their money back hand over fist?

Are game studios just not clever enough to see where there is actual value and easy money?

Are you talking about voice actors for American dubs of Japanese game? Because in that case of the would and should get more respect as they are voicing the source material

brian0057

Banned
God bless that Final fantasy 16 is the first time that is in latín Spanish.

Bro, I love when games have Latin American Spanish as an option. If a game has it, I'll play it that way even though I'm fluent in English and usually prefer it.
I was shocked when I played Gears of War for the first time and one of the voices was Carlos Segundo.
It was the first time I played a game in Spanish and didn't cringe at the "A Todo Gas" levels of dialog, which was my experience with Arkham Asylum and Dead Space back in '08

Tams

Other than Cowboy Bebop, I've yet to hear a single English dub that is not absolutely shite.

Well, Pokémon was fun with smoker Ash and all that - but don't get me wrong, it was not good quality.

Sakura

I'm not sure I understand really what you are talking about.
Are you specifically referring to instances where the English voice actor is changed, but the Japanese voice actor is not (even though the English actor is able and willing)? If so, are there really that many cases of that happening?

Also keep in mind, the localisation isn't always done by the developers themselves, and may also have a separate budget allocated to it.

RaduN

Even Akira Toriyama highly praised the Mexican dubbing, saying that it was far superior to the Japanese in Dragon Ball Z.

Nah.

It's not as bad as the english one, i give you that (the french one is pretty good as well), but none capture the actual characters personalities as the original nippon does, not even close.
Part of the charm and originality of DB(Z) is exactly the fact that Goku is not your steretypical bullshit super hero, with superhero voice and one-dimensional personality. But this was talked to death along the years, that it feels so redundant to keep doing it.
If one preffers some other language, no problem, but they factually violate the characters.

Regarding games like MGS, FF (especially XII) the dub is fantastic. It's because the theme of these games is not necessarily very japanese, and foreign VA doesn't sound out of place, but also because the actors and the direction are very competent in keeping up with the original vision.

lachesis

I think American VA has come a long way though. Certainly so much better than what it used to be back in the original PS1/Saturn days.
And it's a lot more apparent if its native western game. Something like Last of Us, I wouldn't want to play it in Japanese.
Maybe it comes down only to the Japanese or foreign games - and how their localization team's understanding of localization, or recognizing the talents.

Honestly, I enjoyed Persona 5 VA. More so than 3FES or 4 Golden - that to me shows the progress of how American VA gets better over the years.
To some degree, I actually prefer some American VA on this game, over original Japanese one on certain characters. Same goes to 13 Sentinels.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

episode 9 bumblebee man GIF

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Metal Gear Solid 1 doesn’t merely have a good English dub. Its legit better than the Japanese original.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Because of anime.

I was going to add this. JP VAs for video games or anime are usually highly paid professionals. They're sometimes ever asked to help with PR in carrying the character they voice as many are TV / movie actors too.

Dub acting in North America has always been about localization and typically results in hiring VAs who've only had experience in theater or the equivalent of Saturday morning cartoon roles.

Dig deep too and you'll notice English VAs for instance typically miss the mark on understanding the voice of the character. Japanese VAs dedicate time to researching characters and finding the best voice fit for the role. In North America, you'll have let's say 'big muscular guy with a hammer.' They look at an image of the character and say, "alright, going to give him a tough guy voice."

May also add that Aion touches that Japanese care about the VAs. That does make a difference in marketing and how well they're paid. Japanese VAs can honestly make four times what an animation director or dev can/will make.

Boneless

Dbz is great in American. FF7R, I am not sure, I think because I am used to not having the voice in the OG the american voices kill a bit of the experience for me, even though they are not that bad. The way they translate things is pretty poor though and has strong implications on the story narrative.

But.. since I dont speak Japanese Id have to focus on subtitles which is not ideal.

Lokaum D+

Even Akira Toriyama highly praised the Mexican dubbing, saying that it was far superior to the Japanese in Dragon Ball Z.

that is the first Dub i heard that sounds almost as good as the brazilian one.

Also, the awards of best brazilian dub goes to El Chavo ( best show ever )

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don’t know which I like more, but this video of the Pikachu voice actress delivering “lines” is adorable 🥰

Oh also, my buddy and I got to Act 3 in BG3 last night, and the voice acting for some of those later-game characters is honestly astounding. It’s like Disney-level good. I won’t post anything here due to spoilers, though.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Dbz is great in American. FF7R, I am not sure, I think because I am used to not having the voice in the OG the american voices kill a bit of the experience for me, even though they are not that bad. The way they translate things is pretty poor though and has strong implications on the story narrative.

But.. since I dont speak Japanese Id have to focus on subtitles which is not ideal.
Just do the subs, reading isn't difficult. I'm confused what language American is too? What are you playing your games in exactly?

Aenima

The only games i play with japanese voices are Yakuza and Shenmue games. They just feel off in english, especially when u go for the karaoke songs or you still hear some NPCs speaking japanese.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Depends on what country is producing the videogame. I just watched the voicecast of Baldurs Gate 3 play a D&D session and it's getting tons of views. At this point I barely watch anime in Japanese and refuse to play a game in Japanese. I would rather understand what's going on with my sense of hearing than listen to chicken scratch.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Watch Tekken series on Netflix in English, especially Heihachi. You might unsubscribe because of the pansy voice in English. Japanese voice is simply epic in Anime.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Animes and Japanese games that take place in Japan/Asia with English voice acting is fucking cringe. Heres a good example, Ghost of Tsushima was captured with english voice actors but despite the lip synch issues with japanese, you'd have to fucking shoot me to force me to play that game in English. Feudal Japan with english voices? Whoever played like that, you're an idiot. Same thing with recent Yakuza games like Judgment or whatever. I wanted to punch every streamer playing that shit in English.

I will however admit I am not free of this sin as I played all Metro games with english voice acting mostly because I detest russian language and how it sounds, because it's similar to mine.

Last edited:

Fbh

I was always under the impression that voice actors have more of a celebrity status in Japan than in most other places. In the west we want good voice acting but we largely don't seem to care who is doing it. In Japan voice actors have proper fanbases and some people actually pick up new games or shows just because a voice actor the like is in it. Also I imagine most studios have a stronger attachment to the "original" actors than the dub one. I'm sure Naughty Dog would feel like changing the voice of Troy Baker as Joel is a bigger deal than changing his Japanese or Italian voice actor.

Personally I play most Japanese games in Japanese. It often just fits better IMO, specially if the game is done in an anime style or is set in Japan like Yakuza. Also not understanding the language cuts back on the cringe, Japanese games often have interesting plots and likable characters but awkward and unnatural dialogue

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Animes and Japanese games that take place in Japan/Asia with English voice acting is fucking cringe. Heres a good example, Ghost of Tsushima was captured with english voice actors but despite the lip synch issues with japanese, you'd have to fucking shoot me to force me to play that game in English. Feudal Japan with english voices? Whoever played like that, you're an idiot. Same thing with recent Yakuza games like Judgment or whatever. I wanted to punch every streamer playing that shit in English.

I will however admit I am not free of this sin as I played all Metro games with english voice acting mostly because I detest russian language and how it sounds, because it's similar to mine.
A Town of Light was strange, I played it in Italian but it was very heavy, despite the similarity with my Spanish language... When I played Martha is dead, I changed it to English... Italian made the experience even more heavy.

DeVeAn

My guess is Japanese culture doesn’t just fired employees. In the USA voice actors are a revolving door. Japan is pretty good with consistency it seems. Again, just a guess really don’t know.

Holammer

The explanation is simple. In Japan the voice acting process is naturally more closely tied to the developers, they can interact on a personal level and devs even likely to be involved in the audition process, so the producer can get the right voice for his vision.
For other languages? That stuff is farmed out to foreign voice casting and speaker production companies. Here is the budget, knock yourself out.

I could imagine this happens in reverse where Japanese dubs are done on the cheap and the westaboos scoff any attempts at localization anyway.

cireza

Never found that Dragon Ball Z had great dub in French, but well, we were lucky enough to have the series translated back then in the 1990s and that was quite awesome to begin with.

And then one day I discovered the English and Japanese dub and was like "France dub is actually pretty nice you know".

Last edited:

fersnake

what? no sabia.

pd. bah was excited for nothing, only one really good voice actor in the cast (Carlos Segundo) the voice of Piccolo in latin dub of DBZ, this is what i hate about this new gen dubs, all i hear is a generic voice with no emotion and personality. that's why i only watch my media (movies, anime, tv series) with subs.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

What is this direction?? His face isn’t even on camera half of the time :messenger_tears_of_joy:
this is so old that is hard to find a good quality video on Youtube, he is teaching a class about what a drawing of skull means in a bottle ( poison ) or a high voltage sign ( eletric danger ).

Last edited:

Solidus_T

I recall the Japanese version of Shin Megami Tensei IV Final (Apocalypse in the US) getting the same voice actor who did Eren from Attack on Titan to do Flynn, and he did a fantastic job. I think anime makes these companies heavily favor Japanese VA for their roles. The English voice actors for the same game did well too, but they didn't get the same sort of recognition until some of them did characters from Persona 5 of course.

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
FF7 is voiced by Americans, and thus it's English in the American accent.
Thanks for that clarification. Still not seeing English mentioned in your first post I quoted. That'd be like me living here in Mexico and trying to set the language for a game to Mexican...that's a language right? Just like American. ;)

Top Bottom