• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans now drink more bottled water than soda

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
Oh no! What are the poor soda corporations going to do? We need the jobs! Better make sure people are fat and addicted, for the sake of saving jobs for industries that bullshit.

Aquafina (PepsiCo) and Dasani (Coca Cola) are the 2 most ubiquitous bottled water products in the US; most grocery stores have them in prime placement (in fridges near cash registers.)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
People saying that SoCal tap water is disgusting, are you comparing chilled bottled water to warm tap water?

DBT85

My tap water has calcium, alkaline, iron and several other hard minerals in it. So drinking it really isn't an option. We have to spend $2000 on a water softener to hopefully fix it

For now we have to drink bottled and water by the gallon

In what quantities are these minerals present?

In the UK you can get water quality reports so you can see what's in your local supply, this is mine. All perfectly fine to drink.

bizEguO.jpg

It's a shame you guys can't drink your tap water, it tastes great compared to here.

I used to hate the taste of UK tap water in comparison when I moved here, but I don't mind it anymore and drink it 24/7.

riotous

Banned
My company provdes free water for employees. I always take home at least 4 bottles with me. Haven't bought water in years now

A long time ago Cascade "glacial" drinking water sold here in Seattle got caught; someone compared its pH and mineral content and discovered it was exactly the same as Seattle tap water.

Although technically the tap water in Seattle comes from glaciers so it wasn't false advertising but it was funny.

arigato

Why does California bottled spring water taste terrible. I remember having Arrowhead (and another) and it was nearly undrinkable. Guessing it is the mineral content?
I remember opening a bottled "water" from Nestle. It literally smelled and tasted like clorox/bleach. I would've much rather drank my own piss lol.

Hikami

Not me, I still have a soda addiction. It's the only thing holding me back on losing weight really. I eat pretty healthily and exercise regularly but I just can't seem to drop the soda.

biteren

people constantly tell to just drink tap and i see all these pictures of the diffrent kinds of dookie water coming out of tap

JCG

Good. I prefer water practically all the time, unless there's a pretty damn desperate need involved.

waxer

Pretty standard here in New zealand to have a drinking tap that's filtered in any modern house built in the last decade or two if you live metro.

99Luffy

Banned
In general bottled water isn't fluoridated, right? So you'd really be doing your dental health a favor by drinking tap water over bottled.
This. The fluoride you get from brushing 2-3 times a day is not enough.

Dont get a reverse osmosis or zero filter either, that takes out all the minerals.

People saying that SoCal tap water is disgusting, are you comparing chilled bottled water to warm tap water?

As somebody who grew up in SoCal, I have to agree that the tap water tasted pretty bad. I don't know, just something about it. It wasn't anywhere near undrinkable, but I would always prefer bottled water. And I'm talking room temperature for either one... cold is obviously better, but I'm not comparing room temperature tap to chilled from the fridge bottled.

Even Arrowhead (maligned in this thread) was fine to me.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Carbonated water, myself. But it's gotten me off of soda mostly. Might have one Diet Coke a week.

Also I feel bad for those with bad tap water, Ames (Iowa) has been rated the best tap water in the US multiple times. Delicious water.

Magwik

Banned
The pessimist in me wonders if the numbers are severely skewed because of how much bottled water is being sent to Flint.

Berto

Its pretty alien to me not drinking tap water, over here most people buy water bottles as a cheap way to have a bottle to carry around tap water :D

RSP

I stopped drinking Soda about a year ago. I occasionally drink some (like a sip or two) but then immediatly regret it. The stuff just tastes so bad when you're off it for a while.

kewlmyc

Made the switch to mostly water about 5 years ago. Other than that, it's milk, juice, and the occasional Pepsi to keep me awake on long travels since I don't like coffee. I also get a soda when at movies since I'm not going to play that much money for a combo just to get water.

And yeah, in America, a lot of tap water sucks. I'll still drink it if there's no bottle water around thought.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm from the UK, so drinking tap water is the norm.

However, I've been to SoCal plenty of people times and I've never found the tap water to taste too bad, so I don't get the complaints. Florida water, however, has a disgusting sulphur taste and smell, although that's easily removed with a charcoal filtered bottle.

I use to drink soda like a fish now I am trying to cut down and drink more juice and water. Water usually taste so boring and nasty to me so I am often trying to find ways to tolerate drinking it more.

I use to drink a lot of Mountain Dew, cokes, etc during my undergrad years. I don't know when but during the summer before I started grad school, I started drinking water all the time.
coffee during all those years however

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Bottled water industry should cook up some scientific studies showing how water filters leak contaminants or something. That should push their profits even higher

Cipherr

We are probably 6 years deep at this point in terms of letting go of tap water. We weren't satisfied with it even with the filter and just abandoned it for everything except cooking for the most part. Drinking is strictly bottled water.

I mainly drink bottled water but I prefer Spring water as something about Purified water just doesn't taste right to me doesn't matter if its from the tap or bottled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom