• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans now drink more bottled water than soda

Status
Not open for further replies.

AudioEppa

Good news.

I still have a soda every once in a long while (super moderation) But the majority of my consumption is water/sparkling water now. I would never go back to soda all the time like before.

Lucreto

I usually buy bottled water once and keep the bottle and reuse it for 6 months with filtered tap water. The water standard is quite high in Ireland and my fridge also filters my water and makes it cold.

So I buy maybe 2 or 3 bottles a year and do my bit for the environment.

daxy

The surprising news to me is that prior to this they drank more soda. That explains part of the obesity problem, I suppose.

tirant

I usually buy bottled water once and keep the bottle and reuse it for 6 months with filtered tap water. The water standard is quite high in Ireland and my fridge also filters my water and makes it cold.

So I buy maybe 2 or 3 bottles a year and do my bit for the environment.

Don't reuse plastic bottles, they are not manufactured to be refilled:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/reuse-plastic-water-bottle_n_5671681.html

But you can buy a nice Glass Bottle and reuse it forever.

daxy

i drink significantly more soda than I do bottled water, 100 to 1 by volume probably.

Wow! I'm probably at the very opposite end of that spectrum. I have soda maybe once every couple of months, whereas I drink close to about a liter of water a day.

Good to hear. I personally dont buy any bottled water. Just use a filer on the tap and drink from a filtered water bottle as well.

cordy

Banned
Yeah I mostly drink water. Only time I drink soda is when I get fast food which is uncommon for me these days.

LaNaranja

I buy and refill those 5 gallon jugs because my tap water is often smelly and icky. Still much cheaper than water bottles.

3-water-jugs.jpg

Brinbe

I agree that tap should be the primary solution, but it sadly is that bad in some places. People really don't get how privileged they are to enjoy working and decent infrastructure sometimes...

Laieon

In the past year I've made the leap from soda to sparkling water. Still occasionally drink soda, but I definitely drink more water then I used to.

iceatcs

Water is must.
I worked for old people home while ago. And near every person in there do not regularly drink water at all. Only small cup on every meal. No one survive longer 5 years after I left but one person still well alive who is water crazy.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Tap water tastes bad. At this point someone usually lauds how great their tap water is and the tap water I drink must be inferior. I've not liked the smell or taste of any tap water I've had in any state or city I've ever been to. Most bottled water tastes like tap water. The only bottled water i found o actually don't mind is smart water. After years of drinking it I finally read the bottle and saw it was distilled. Made sense I would like it as I only routinely drink distilled water.

Live in Liverpool, UK here. Tap water tastes identical to bottled water.

ss1

Neo Member
Buying carbonated water bottles makes sense to me. Still water only makes sense when you are on the go and don’t have a chance to find a tap to fill up from or you forgot to bring your own bottle with you.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can't even imagine undrinkable water coming from the tap. Maybe once or twice a decade if something goes wrong for a day or two but as a general state of affairs? That's shocking. Drinkable tap water should be a given in any country that can afford to provide it.

You'd think. But this is America. Fuck poor people, basically.

How much does drinking bottled water cost per week on average?

Quite a bit more than soda. Water is like $2-3 bucks around here while Sodas are $1.75-2, before taxes.

Rootbeer

Banned
When I lived in the midwest (been some years, though) it was all about soda, It seemed like all anyone drank. When I moved west to the coast, I began to see the trend more towards water, started to become more and more rare to see people drinking soda in public. Almost as if there were a stigma attached to carrying a soda bottle. Personally, I love sparkling water and it's all I ever buy apart from coffee or tea.

Still, there are a lot of stores I'll go to that don't carry sparkling water or they will only have like one variety o_O Hope that will start to change more and more with stuff like this hitting the news.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Ny tap water tastes like shit. I basically only drink bottled water, but I also recycle.

Also a case of 24 water bottles is $4-5 bucks. Don't go singleton bottled waters.

I know I'm a bad person.

Forkball

In high school I used to drink soda almost daily. My first year of college, I decided to quit cold turkey and within a year I lost 70 lbs. Not solely from cutting out soda, but it undoubtedly had a huge effect. I never drink soda now, and when on the rare occasion when it does pass my lips, I honestly can't stand the taste of it. Soda is basically poison and no one should drink it.

I will allow an occasional root beer float. Only in summer though.

In high school I used to drink soda almost daily. My first year of college, I decided to quit cold turkey and within a year I lost 70 lbs. Not solely from cutting out soda, but it undoubtedly had a huge effect. I never drink soda now, and when on the rare occasion when it does pass my lips, I honestly can't stand the taste of it. Soda is basically poison and no one should drink it.

I will allow an occasional root beer float. Only in summer though.
Cutting most soda (I only drink ginger ale here and there now) out of my life was a decision I have never regretted. That shit is poison, I agree.

bengraven

Is this separating soda and energy drinks? Because millions of soda drinkers are now drinking Red Bull or Monsters in the place of soda and that could have dropped soda's numbers while most people are still drinking more caffeinated syrup than water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom