• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans now drink more bottled water than soda

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

I feel like this is worse somehow. Like I guess it's healthier, but it's even more stupid.

Really bad for the environment and also not the best for household spending. What was a lower cost resource is now a bigger budget item, add that two stagnating incomes and rise of cost of living....

Volimar

The village where I live used to have the best tasting water. Then they drilled a second well and now it's awful. I just use it for iced tea/juice etc.

CHC

Better for the soda companies because the price is the same they just don't have to add anything to it.

Soda sucks though, water for life.

MsKrisp

I live in an area with clean tap water and my throat still hurts if I drink it without filtering it. It's annoying when people look at me like I'm an asshole because I can't drink tap water. I use a carbon block filter, and I'm trying to remember to use my reusable bottles so I don't have to rely on the bottled stuff. The problem is it's too convenient.

Van Bur3n

Tis good. I stopped drinking soda entirely years ago after having drank it constantly for a long time. Have never looked back.

I only drink water and green tea these days.

Regiruler

Bottled war is a crime against the environment and leaves an unnecessarily gigantic carbon footprint. At least soda can be justified in that you can't get it from a tap.

I personally dont buy any bottled water. Just use a filer on the tap and drink from a filtered water bottle as well.

That's a step in the right direction, next step buy water filters and stop giving out your hard earned rupees.

Don't want watter bottles, get a water filter.

Good, now time to stop buying Bottled Water and drink filtered tap water outside of rare circumstances your tap water is literally undrinkable.

too many plastic bottles. Get a brita filter and no more plastic bottles.

Everyone should have one of these:
442ee19c-a6b3-41a3-aedf-38f53e80948a_1000.jpg

Reusable water bottles with a wide mouth filled with filtered water is where it's at.

I live in an area with clean tap water and my throat still hurts if I drink it without filtering it. It's annoying when people look at me like I'm an asshole because I can't drink tap water. I use a carbon block filter, and I'm trying to remember to use my reusable bottles so I don't have to rely on the bottled stuff.

I am surprised to see so many posts praising water filters.
I've always read that water filters were unnecessary in most of the developed countries, bar the rare cases where the taste is unpleasant.
Placebo?

I've always read that water filters were unnecessary in most of the developed countries, bar the rare cases where the taste is unpleasant.
Placebo?

Uh even if it's not necessary health wise there are a ton of places with nasty tasting tap water

MsKrisp

Placebo?

I can bring my water filter camping and safety drink dirty creek water filtered through it, so no, it's not a placebo. They find traces of prescription meds in tap water as well, so I'm comfortable taking that extra step.

soda is really bad for you so this is much better

yes bottled water is bad for the environment

but us has some third-world quality shit tier tap water, so i don't blame anyone for drinking bottled water

DopeToast

Banned
That's a move in the right direction, with hopefully the next reasonable move being just drinking tap water (where it's clean and available obviously).

Not if you just refill the bottle over and over like I do. I also have water dispenser that hold 5gallons.

I think you misunderstood my post. Less soda consumption=less bottles recycled. Combine that with poor separation habits and you've got problems for recycling

Linkura

Get a water filter (unless you live somewhere like Flint) and save a ton of money and stop putting money into the pockets of companies like Nestle, morans.

But this is still a step in the right direction. Water is all I drink except for maybe something else once a year, and never soda.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is your tap water so bad in America that you need to spend this much to avoid it?

Depends on the area. But yeah. I'm talking individual bottles compared to individual bottles of Soda. It's not a wonder why Soda had a "following" when it was (still is) cheaper.

Mr.Shrugglesツ;231807638 said:
This has nothing to do with the flint crisis.

The solution to the flint water crisis is an emergency call to get fucking pipelines replaced immediately through a federal/state infrastructure plan.
And help black people? Fuck outta here, we need to focus on our military. /s

pablito

Tap water doesn't taste good where I'm at so no @ pro tap water people. But I have water jugs I fill up at the market. 12 gallons, only costs a few bucks. Delicious.

Soda sucks.

Izayoi

Banned
Please use reusable bottles and/or recycle.
Seriosuly, folks. Bottled water, while better for you, still leeches hormones and is a disaster for the environment.

(Not to mention super fucking expensive. A nice PUR or Brita filter will probably get your water even cleaner than what's sold in the store in a bottle and it much easier on your wallet, and the planet.)

Amazing news. Soda can be really addicting. In some places it's cheaper to buy soda than it is to buy water. I gave it up almost 10 years ago and I don't miss it at all. In high school I didn't drink water at all and got to the point of going through a 2 liter bottle of soda a day. I decided to make a change at 19 and it's been one of the best decisions of my life. I still eat like shit but at least made one healthy change. Now I just need to get myself away from bottled juices and lemonade.

Izayoi

Banned
Get a water filter (unless you live somewhere like Flint) and save a ton of money and stop putting money into the pockets of companies like Nestle, morans.
A really powerful filtration system, while sometimes a little pricey, could make even the water in Flint drinkable.

HvySky

Dropping soda from my life was one of the best diet-related decisions I've ever made. I generally feel better and have more energy these days. Stuff is seriously killer.

Pretty much all I ever drink these days is filtered water, coffee, and the occasional tea.

North Carolina tap water is so nasty, I can't get used to it. I can't even put ice cubes in bottled water it's so nasty. Put that shit through a filter and it's still undrinkable.

But yeah I drink way more bottled water than soda/tea. Overall I don't feel better though.

I only feel lighter and cleaner when I eat clean.

I definitely don't contribute to that number. I may drink one bottled, diet soda a week and I never drink bottled water. The large majority of my fluid intake is filtered tap water, coffee, and craft beer (in that order).

I bought a water filter long ago, along with a filtered water bottle. I still drink a glass of ginger ale maybe once a week, but it's all water outside of that.

DJ_Lae

I'll buy one case of bottled water a year and it gets used for road trips and pretty much nothing else - it's an insane waste of pretty much everything.

Other than that I generally drink a few cans of diet Dr. Pepper a week and the rest is all tap water. It tastes fine and costs about one cent for 8L, too.

A really powerful filtration system, while sometimes a little pricey, could make even the water in Flint drinkable.

Yea, tell those poor folks who can't even pay their inflated water bills to buy reverse osmosis water filtration systems because those carbon filters don't do shit for the really bad stuff.

Almost as bad as telling people to not buy an iphone to pay for health insurance.

Izayoi

Banned
Yea, tell those poor folks who can't even pay their inflated water bills to buy reverse osmosis water filtration systems because those carbon filters don't do shit for the really bad stuff.

Almost as bad as telling people to not buy an iphone to pay for health insurance.
Obviously I wasn't addressing the poor folks who live in Flint - I was addressing GAF, who typically trend wealthier. I would never suggest that a poor person invests in an expensive water filtration system when the tap water should be properly maintained by their local water district. C'mon man, I understand the sentiment, but don't be so quick to attack someone. I'm on your side here.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've cut my input to water and iced green tea. Picked up a brita pitcher on sale months back and it's great, though I'm not snobbish enough to avoid drinking right out of the tap from time to time. I usually put a small amount of sugar into pitcher of green tea I make weekly for taste but it's not much.

Soda is a occasional treat. Sometimes you just want one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom