• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Americans now drink more bottled water than soda

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Why don't people have those reusable sorts bottles with a filter built in? Seems wasteful to buy bottle so much

c2843fad-0af8-46db-812c-6a46a9d2ed60.jpg._CB329949702__SR285,285_.jpg

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
That's great, the more water the better.

Luckily I live in a place where I can drink water from the tap all day.

Nagito

Nice I have stopped drinking soda for about 2 years now except sometimes when I eat out but still take water most of the time.

New002

Nice. I've been upping my water intake. Drink several glasses a day. I just use a water filter. Still drink Pepsi Max/Coke Zero as well. Don't really see the need to cut them out.

Obviously I wasn't addressing the poor folks who live in Flint - I was addressing GAF, who typically trend wealthier. I would never suggest that a poor person invests in an expensive water filtration system when the tap water should be properly maintained by their local water district. C'mon man, I understand the sentiment, but don't be so quick to attack someone. I'm on your side here.

I just don't think anyone, even if they're well off, should have to spend more money on top of what they're already paying in inflated taxes just to drink clean water.

Why don't people have those reusable sorts bottles with a filter built in? Seems wasteful to buy bottle so much

c2843fad-0af8-46db-812c-6a46a9d2ed60.jpg._CB329949702__SR285,285_.jpg

Because depending on how bad your water is and what is actually dissolved in it, those carbon filters won't really do much.

https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/home-water-treatment/water-filters/step3.html

louiedog

I'm fortunate enough to live somewhere with very good municipal water. A roommate of mine insisted on buying bottled which was probably from a much worse municipal facility since we have some of the best in the country. That's not just taste, but very low in contaminants. I didn't get it why he was spending money on a wasteful inferior product. I drank a bottle when our building's water was shutoff for maintenance and I definitely found it to be worse.

I spent $15 on a quality stainless steel bottle a decade ago and still use it daily. I see reusable bottles when I'm out way more than disposable bottles fortunately. We also have bottle filling stations around in many public areas.

ChouGoku

I'm holding the fort for soda. I drink six cans a day, and only drink water every third day.
I feel like I would throw up after 6 cans of soda. I hate buying bottled water seems like a waste of money, I need to get used to carrying around a bottle

Hari Seldon

Everyone should have one of these:

People are lazy and bottled water is just too convenient.

Yeah I have one of these, saves SOOO much money and cuts down on environmental waste. And they are cheap too. The only time I used bottled water is if I'm on the go or after a run or something.

Oh no! What are the poor soda corporations going to do? We need the jobs! Better make sure people are fat and addicted, for the sake of saving jobs for industries that bullshit.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
That's a step in the right direction, next step buy water filters and stop giving out your hard earned rupees.

Don't even need water filters.

Oh no! What are the poor soda corporations going to do? We need the jobs! Better make sure people are fat and addicted, for the sake of saving jobs for industries that bullshit.
You know they sell the bulk of that bottled water, right?

womfalcs3

Banned
They're diversifying. Hell, they even have bottled water in their product lines. They also have milk.

Happy to be a contributor. I love water bottles. I usually just buy one and reuse it with filtered fridge water over the course of like a month or so though. I only drink sodas when I eat fast food now (~1 per week)

Pein

Banned
I buy way too much bottled water when I'm out, but if I'm home I'll just refill the 1.5 liter empty bottles.

yodandy

I gave up pop (soda I guess) 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I still splash coke into a whiskey coke every now and then, but I can't finish an entire can anymore.

Water is the best! But yes, STOP buying bottled water, what a waste.

Also La Croix is pretty bomb, my current favorite flavor (changes every few months):

LAC-Flavor-Detail-Images-PeachPear-330X310.png

Good news. I really need to cut down on soda. It just tastes too good lol.

And also helps you gain a lot of weight, not to mention that drinking too much sodas will also have a bad effect on your kidneys.

Sodas are like a drug; Once you've had that sweet taste, you'll keep going back for more & more.

I used to be a heavy soda drinker, but had stopped drinking so much of that as soon as I had a wake up call in which my kidney on my right hip started hurting (it also doesn't help that I'm 34 years of age). Now I only drink sodas occasionally.

muteki

I gave up pop (soda I guess) 3 years ago and haven't looked back. I still splash coke into a whiskey coke every now and then, but I can't finish an entire can anymore.

Also La Croix is pretty bomb, my current favorite flavor (changes every few months):

They keep La Croix stocked in the fridge at work all day and it is all I drink. At home I'll drink Perrier/San Pelle. No interest in regular soda anymore.

DBT85

I am surprised to see so many posts praising water filters.
I've always read that water filters were unnecessary in most of the developed countries, bar the rare cases where the taste is unpleasant.
Placebo?

Depending on the country, the carbon filter will remove some flavour and odour that might be in there from chlorine or whatever.

I'm in the UK so the water is fine and we drink a ton of it from the tap or the fridge, both of which have carbon filters on that are like £10 every 6-12 months to replace. Much better for everyone and everything, except the companies that make bottled water which I'm fine with.

I've seen little 200ml bottles of Evian in petrol stations for £1. A 330ml can of Coke is cheaper!

IIRC, to make a 1l water bottle uses 2l of water just to make the bottle. Water is being used up to contain half as much water. Then there is the shipping of water which is heavy. It's mad.

Tap fo lyfe.

BlitzKeeg

To those confused by the tap water differences in the US, they can actually be pretty extreme.

I live in NY and have had serious trouble trying to drink water in other states since it tastes so different. (I'm looking at you Florida, your water is crap)

Even after moving to another city within the same state I had to get a Brita filter in order to normalize the taste.

It makes sense if you think about it scientifically. Each area of the US has different bedrock and thus different soil. NY water has "hard water" because the bedrock is metamorphic and full of minerals. Florida water tastes like shit because it's sedimentary and it all just dissolves into the water. (I'm probably super wrong, but you get the idea)

I love to hate Florida.

Sunster

We need an alternative to plastic bottles
To those confused by the tap water differences in the US, they can actually be pretty extreme.

I live in NY and have had serious trouble trying to drink water in other states since it tastes so different. (I'm looking at you Florida, your water is crap)

Even after moving to another city within the same state I had to get a Brita filter in order to normalize the taste.

It makes sense if you think about it scientifically. Each area of the US has different bedrock and thus different soil. NY water has "hard water" because the bedrock is metamorphic and full of minerals. Florida water tastes like shit because it's sedimentary and it all just dissolves into the water. (I'm probably super wrong, but you get the idea)

I love to hate Florida.

It's not all bad in Florida. I live in St. Pete and it's fine here but around the east coast of the state it's pretty bad.

Koyuga

I drink tap water, bottled water and soda!

Wish I could drink more bottled water but it gets pretty inconvenient when you don't have a car.

I guess I'm pretty lucky I like the tap water where I live, I even prefer it to most of the bottled water I've been exposed to, and they seem like such a huge waste. I would rather spend that money on a Brita pitcher if I had to.

I also don't drink soda quite like I used to...but any benefit of that has offset by the coffee, beer, and energy drinks so um...

faisal233

Water filter, soda stream and sodamod (to get cheap CO2 refills) ended up being $200 sunk cost. Now I get 60L of soda water for $3.50 CO2 refills.

RMI

Banned
I wish my well water wasn't kind of bad. We probably spend $1 a day on bottled water.

The previous place I lived had god-tier well water.

Anyway, having crummy well water with sulfur and very fine clay in it sucks.

DBT85

I'm on day 2.

EDIT: nvm. day 0.

I have a problem

In all genuine seriousness, you can do it.

I drank soda all the time and while working could easily dispatch a litre of Coke a day. It took me several attempts, but I'm now clean. Nobody actually gets how hard it was for me to do so I get shit when I'm all happy that its been nigh on 18 months.

I've had 4 or 5 classes of lemonade or Fanta in that time, but only when it came free with whatever takeout I was having so I drank it. Whenever they brought Pepsi I gave it away.

Since I don;t drink tea or coffee either, my liquids are water, beer or hot chocolate. I might have 5 beers a month on average!

In general bottled water isn't fluoridated, right? So you'd really be doing your dental health a favor by drinking tap water over bottled.

ATF487

I have good tap water here in MA, don't even bother with using the brita filter most of the time.

I'd rather people drinking bottled water than soda but it's still a nightmare for the environmental impact, and for the fact that some people still have issues getting potable water in 2017

I am not super healthy but I very rarely drink soda, unless I'm having a gin and tonic, or having the occasional ginger ale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom