• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Packaging (Nintendo Figurine) - Wallets 'am cry

Kacho

They definitely appeal to the collector in me, but I see them having little use in the grand scheme of things. I'm also not sure these will catch on.

So someone considering buying a Nintendo console will have to buy the console £ 210, the game £ 40 and 16 x £ 15 for these characters to get them unlocked in that game ?

Great for Nintendo I see this as a way to earn more money out of existing customers.

Potential new customers or sitting n the fence for a wiiu may be put of by the very high cost of wanting all the unlocks in a game.

For me to get smash bros and all characters would cost £ 250 + £ 16 x 15 = £ 490.

Really ? Just see this as Nintendo go more niche / existing fan base

Serious question - has anyone suggested that buying Amiibos is the only way to unlock characters in Smash, or any game, at all?

I highly doubt that that will be the case unless it's confirmed by an official source.

Rikkun

...I'm sure Smash is still going to be a great game even if you don't buy any Amiibos
Yeah I'm sure about that, but I'd feel like I've left a huge chunk of the game on the shelves. Friends will be buying the figures so I'd be like the poor kid who had a Game Gear instead of a GameBoy
(I had both)
The problem I'm imagining is that if there's an amiibo for every Smash character, that'll be ~50 figurines. Even at £5 a figurine, it'd cost you £250 to get everything, up to £750 if they're £15 each. And I'd want them all.

How am I supposed to choose which figurine to buy?!
Yeah, I think the price is a little high.. I mean, with 250£ you could get a WiiU and a copy of the game. And I'm not happy about filling my home with toys just to bring em out when I want to play.
Noticed that all of these are "Smash" branded figures. So, they're part of a Smash line.

That means that there will probably be separate lines for the other games, ie a figure of Mario in a racecar, etc.

Im curious to see what say, a Kirby figure would do in Mario Kart, or what a "Mario Kart" figure would do in Smash.

lol This is like declining a meal at a fancy restaurant because they serve Ice Cream and not cake.

The game is fully playable without a single amiibo figure. The only extra bonus is that you have a "RPG-like" character that you can level and battle and raise up.

Well this sounds even more ridicolous, they could sell them easily if they were cross-game. Now, having to buy 5 Mario statues? Seems exaggerate.

And about the fancy meal, it's a stupid metaphor. Really. I'll just wait for Nintendo to be clear about prices and release schedule. I might still be there day one, but they lost my preorder.

Sendou

Any chance something like NPD would track how much these sell? Even better if some party would track what figurines are the most popular.

Laieon

I might get Link, but for the most part I'm completely ignoring these. I have 0 interest in their functionality and they'll just sit there gathering dust.

So someone considering buying a Nintendo console will have to buy the console £ 210, the game £ 40 and 16 x £ 15 for these characters to get them unlocked in that game ?

Great for Nintendo I see this as a way to earn more money out of existing customers.

Potential new customers or sitting n the fence for a wiiu may be put of by the very high cost of wanting all the unlocks in a game.

For me to get smash bros and all characters would cost £ 250 + £ 16 x 15 = £ 490.

Really ? Just see this as Nintendo go more niche / existing fan base

They have never said anything about it being the only way to unlock characters. There are little bonus features in smash with AI opponents. It still works like a normal smash game if you don't buy the toys.

Kyzer

Banned
Lol obviously not every amiibo will work on every game. Some people are like oh my god what if I use marth on animal crossing!

Bert

Where are people getting this idea that it unlocks content?

All I've seen is it's more like a physical version of the AI players you train. You gain a bit by having it if you're into that sort of thing, but you lose nothing by not having it.

Have I missed something?

Where are people getting this idea that it unlocks content?

All I've seen is it's more like a physical version of the AI players you train. You gain a bit by having it if you're into that sort of thing, but you lose nothing by not having it.

Have I missed something?

I think that's how it works in Skylanders and Disney Infinity? So people are assuming it's a literal copy?

Lord Phol

I've never been a collector of figurines... but I wants them! Not sure if I'll use them much but I might pick up a few just because of how good they look.

I really want those Pikachu and Kirby ones. I'm a little interested in the Peach one, but I don't think I'll get it. Not right away at least.

So I guess that would be around $30. That's not too bad.

Why would I want to level up a bot? I mean, would be nice to carry my stats on the figure to get my characters ready to fight on friends home, but I don't want a bot who fights for me :(
For practice? Some people like to play against the bots, and it'd be nice to have one that's constantly learning.

I also think the idea of facing your own bot off against friends sounds cool, but that's more of a minor thing.

I'm a sucker for Nintendo merch though, so I'll probably end up with way more of these than I should. I'm hoping the prices aren't outrageous.

Would be nice if they could partner with figure companies like Max Factory and such. i actually own the Samus, Pit, and Link Figmas.

Darryl

Banned
Why would I want to level up a bot? I mean, would be nice to carry my stats on the figure to get my characters ready to fight on friends home, but I don't want a bot who fights for me :(

Back when I played FFXI they used to have a system where you could unlock travelers companions which were basically AI teammates that you could summon in the field and train. It was just fun to go around and train them. They'd unlock abilities, level up. Although in FFXI they served a potential purpose, most people just leveled them up for the fuck of it. I had mine max level and I don't think I got any game utility out of it. It was rather relaxing to play with them - something to do.

Riposte

Hmm, I figured one element of this was that one figure would be useful for multiple games, but I see nothing that reflects that.

Do you think you'd be able to break off the figure and just use the base?

Strigiday

Neo Member
I really like the look of the figurines. I hope they end up being $10 instead of $15. Might end up getting the pikachu or the kirby one.

Bladelaw

I will buy all of them. I'm not sure why but it will happen and it will be glorious.

My wife's words while watching the Digital event when amiibos were introduced: "Oh no..."

Dennis

Banned
untitled_390_by_dennisk4-d7m388k.gif

mr2xxx

Banned
Nintendo needs to do the Pokemon series but the box contains a random Pokemon. Then you could get Shiny versions or maybe a exclusive Pokemon that is only available in toy form. Actually don't, I don't want PokeGaf bullying little kids and creeping out parents in the toy aisle's of America.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Nintendo needs to do the Pokemon series but the box contains a random Pokemon. Then you could get Shiny versions or maybe a exclusive Pokemon that is only available in toy form. Actually don't, I don't want PokeGaf bullying little kids and creeping out parents in the toy aisle's of America.

Reserved for Pokken Fighters.

We will be poor.

Hatchtag

Banned

They've released good quality figures in a similar way before (see: the Pokemon TFG). But they need a good video game to go with it, and figures just plain would not work in the main Pokemon series.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why are they Smash Bros. branded? Won't these work with many other games too?

These specific figurines are directly based on Smash Bros renders iirc.

Edit: That Samus one looks really good wtf. Thought these would look cheap but they actually look good as figurines go. She's all shiny, same with Link's shield.

Oh god they did this with the Rumble Figures. People would buy entire boxes of them to get shinies and complete the set.

$10-$15 for blind boxes is too much I think though; the better option is to have chase figures for Pokemon (or really, any of the figures). They could give you something else in the games which would be interesting. Both Skylanders and Infinity do this. Well, not with bonus things, just the character sometimes has extra stats.

$%28KGrHqR,!iYFEyfHTnGKBRM3jrg,-Q~~60_35.JPG
$T2eC16J,!%29QFIcdvPbFTBS%28KytZ9%28!~~60_35.JPG

Arkam

I know I will own a handful of these by this time next year. Damn you Nintendo.
I just hope they are reasonably priced and have wide spread use. MK and SSB are a good start for sure, but they made it sound much wider over time. Very excited to see this unfold.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I know I will own a handful of these by this time next year. Damn you Nintendo.
I just hope they are reasonably priced and have wide spread use. MK and SSB are a good start for sure, but they made it sound much wider over time. Very excited to see this unfold.

I'll get the Samus and Link ones for sure because they look awesome :(. (And I use both in Smash too)

Hatchtag

Banned
I really don't want rare variation figures, at least for Smash Bros. I want a complete set, and that'd make it very, very hard to do so. Rare variations (plus the game sucking) are some of the things that turned me off from Skylanders.

Top Bottom