• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia: Memories |OT| A Machine for Love

Shizuka

dVbvtkU.png

Amnesia: Memories is now available for mobile, thanks to to Gloczus, Inc.! The game will come in a Standard Edition, where the prologue is free and each chapter costs an extra $2.99, and a Premium Edition where all the chapters will be $22.99!
Standard
iOS: http://bit.ly/1L3Myj8
Android: http://bit.ly/1Q7Nes0
Premium
iOS: http://bit.ly/1Fj3FLE
Android: http://bit.ly/1Kr36ag (may not work, but we are fixing it!)

Ephidel

I finally rounded up my other game so I can get back to this one \o/.

So, for my second route I went Diamond.
Having completed Diamond Route and all its endings now
there is not enough WTF in the world for me to express quite what my reaction to that "good" ending is.
I don't even begrudge the cage all that much, but seriously, wtf. Run girl. Run as fast and as far as you can. Go with the creepy guy with the death threats and the manic cackle and the face faults. Being shoved down a well will be the better outcome at the end of the day, I'm sure x_x
On the other hand replaying to get some of the other endings I had to laugh at how
utterly creepy even some of Toma's less suspicious dialogue is when you know what's coming. It really is great in a horrible way. It's like a crash you can't quite tear your eyes away from.
He's totally not my type, mind you.
If he were I would need dragging to a hospital myself

Seeing Sawa one of the Maid outfits was pretty funny though. I'm not sure whether it suits her or not ^^;

I edited some wallpapers from Amnesia’s Japanese website.

PS Vita Wallpapers

Desktop Wallpapers:
1920 X 1200, 1366 X 768, 1280 X 1024, 1280 X 720
Thank you for those, I'm going to have to make use of a few of them. The sd ones are cute :)

Rayen

Neo Member
I've finished most of the endings now, and I can definitely agree that Kent is the best boyfriend. Ugh, so awkward and endearing. I nearly died when he
brought out that half month anniversary cake.

I'm very excited for Code: Realize and Norn9 now!

pariah164

I've finished most of the endings now, and I can definitely agree that Kent is the best boyfriend. Ugh, so awkward and endearing. I nearly died when he
brought out that half month anniversary cake.

I'm very excited for Code: Realize and Norn9 now!
Kent is truly adorable.
The handmade math problem book. I died.

Shizuka

so hows this play on android

is anything in the experience lost due to platform choice?

The mobile version was released today. You can download the free version to check the prologue and see how the mobile version holds. I don't think you'll lose anything due to platform choice, given this is a visual novel.

ShyMel

Once I finish up Until Dawn, I'll move onto this. Have it waiting to be played on my Vita memory card. Will probably get the more "interesting" routes out of the way first.

pariah164

For me it was
the whole umbrella short story.
This thread needs more pictures of Kent! I'd post them myself but I didn't take a lot of them.
I took LOADS, though some may be considered spoilery. If I knew how to make an imgur gallery for him I would.

Shizuka

SmZA

Amnesia: Memories or Absence of thing: said thing

What an interesting grammatical construction. I look forward to the sequels, Terminal Illness: Longevity and Amputee: Legs.

Kirie

You're welcome! :)

Reviews

The Vita Lounge: 3.9/5
Hardcore Gamer: 4/5
Michibiku: 9/10
GotGame: 4/5
Playstation Lifestyle: 5.5/10
GBAtemp: 8/10
Rice Digital: No Score
I love reading reviews on otoges, because you can really tell who 'gets' them and who doesn't. I feel like some people really miss the point in general. Not that this particular game is without criticism of course (stuff like the stat system is most certainly flawed imo), but it's interesting nonetheless.

Saphirax

I love reading reviews on otoges, because you can really tell who 'gets' them and who doesn't. I feel like some people really miss the point in general. Not that this particular game is without criticism of course (stuff like the stat system is most certainly flawed imo), but it's interesting nonetheless.

Certain genres (like drpgs and otome games) do suffer from that. I gave up on reading reviews for those for the most part. If I need to know whether a certain otome is good, I'll just read the impressions from a few otome game blogs. Only downside is that some of those blogs spoil a lot (sometimes avoided by just reading the opening and closing paragraphs while closing your eyes so you don't see any CGs :p).

Kirie

Certain genres (like drpgs and otome games) do suffer from that. I gave up on reading reviews for those for the most part. If I need to know whether a certain otome is good, I'll just read the impressions from a few otome game blogs. Only downside is that some of those blogs spoil a lot (sometimes avoided by just reading the opening and closing paragraphs while closing your eyes so you don't see any CGs :p).
Same! It's so hard to find spoiler free impressions sometimes for some of them. There are some good ones on tumblr..but then going into any of the tags and you'll be hit in the face with spoiler CGs, lol. It's really sucks.

On another note, for Amnesia, I'm worried about the amount of piracy that's been involved apparently with the steam version. At least by what I've heard through various people. I hope it sells well enough to justify IFI to bring more over :/ Makes me so angry at people for doing it, considering how niche otoge over here are already.

Saphirax

Same! It's so hard to find spoiler free impressions sometimes for some of them. There are some good ones on tumblr..but then going into any of the tags and you'll be hit in the face with spoiler CGs, lol. It's really sucks.

On another note, for Amnesia, I'm worried about the amount of piracy that's been involved apparently with the steam version. At least by what I've heard through various people. I hope it sells well enough to justify IFI to bring more over :/ Makes me so angry at people for doing it, considering how niche otoge over here are already.

Oh, I read about that :(. How much would be considered 'enough' though? Last time I checked (on SteamSpy at least) Amnesia sold like 2000~ copies. Unfortunately, I presume, it sold less on the Vita.

I do hope it sells well enough so that we end up getting more otome games.

Edit: It's between 5000 and 6000 copies now.

Kirie

Oh, I read about that :(. How much would be considered 'enough' though? Last time I checked (on SteamSpy at least) Amnesia sold like 2000~ copies. Unfortunately, I presume, it sold less on the Vita.

I do hope it sells well enough so that we end up getting more otome games.

Edit: It's between 5000 and 6000 copies now.

5k-6k sounds like fantastic numbers! That's really good news (I guess you never know what number they are shooting for internally, so maybe that's not so good..) Some of my favorite otoge usually sell around 5k-10k in their first week in Japan, and are good enough sales to get fandiscs. Of course unless it's games like UtaPri and somehow go on to almost sell 100k which is just insane to me, lol.

I think the decision to put it on multiple platforms was a very good idea, and hope if they are committed to bringing more over that they keep heading in that direction. As much as I'm not a fan of mobile, there's definitely a seemingly strong fanbase there, especially with all of the various Voltage games and whatnot that seem popular with quite a few people.

Saphirax

5k-6k sounds like fantastic numbers! That's really good news (I guess you never know what number they are shooting for internally, so maybe that's not so good..) Some of my favorite otoge usually sell around 5k-10k in their first week in Japan, and are good enough sales to get fandiscs. Of course unless it's games like UtaPri and somehow go on to almost sell 100k which is just insane to me, lol.

I think the decision to put it on multiple platforms was a very good idea, and hope if they are committed to bringing more over that they keep heading in that direction. As much as I'm not a fan of mobile, there's definitely a seemingly strong fanbase there, especially with all of the various Voltage games and whatnot that seem popular with quite a few people.

Yeah, putting the game on three platforms was a good idea. Hopefully all three (especially the Vita version) turn out to be profitable. Same goes for Code:Realize and Norn9, those will need more luck since they're only on the Vita.

Kirie

More fantastic wallpapers, thanks Midnight! Snagging that Ukyo one ;D

Shizuka - I know you're doing the OT for Norn9 and Code:Realize, but are you doing the one for Ozmafia? I might snag that one if you haven't already since I've played it before (if that's okay!)

Just got reminded since MG just updated their progress on twitter and it's at 74% translated.

Shizuka

More fantastic wallpapers, thanks Midnight! Snagging that Ukyo one ;D

Shizuka - I know you're doing the OT for Norn9 and Code:Realize, but are you doing the one for Ozmafia? I might snag that one if you haven't already since I've played it before (if that's okay!)

Just got reminded since MG just updated their progress on twitter and it's at 74% translated.

Oh, be my guest. This was my second OT, I've only claimed these because I thought no one would do it if I didn't. You might as well do the one for Ozmafia, since I might not grab that one at launch.

Kirie

Oh, be my guest. This was my second OT, I've only claimed these because I thought no one would do it if I didn't. You might as well do the one for Ozmafia, since I might not grab that one at launch.

It's much appreciated that you're doing them all for us :D If you have any questions about Norn9 lemme know since I've played that game as well!

I'll claim Ozmafia when they get closer to a release date then, thanks!

Ephidel

Siliconera did an interview with IF about otome games
I really hope they'll do okay for them in the west. I want more ^_^

Playing through Shin's route at the moment. I thought his route would be boring, but he's actually kind of adorable. I mean he's also a bit of an excessively blunt jackass but it's hilarious. And refreshing. Between him and Orion I can't stop laughing.

... Heart Route Waka is less cool though. He sounds kind of weird being all cheery :(

Edit:
Okay, thoughts on the Heart Route now that I've wrapped that route up.

I greatly enjoyed the comments the different people made when I had to choose a room. I also greatly enjoyed the fact that I could choose any room, and the comments that resulted.

However I do feel somewhat sorry for poor Shin, when a brief conversation at the end of the month reveals that he seems to have made it through his life without having any idea what people do in a cafe despite having worked in one. Yeah, I get that the option was obviously meant to be to say "go shopping" but that's not what it actually said so it made the conversation somewhat odd.
Mind you, considering that in an offshoot of the same set of dialogue if you suggest going to a film he says you could "browse through some cafes" that was a bit weird too. Some sort of find and replace error, I guess?

I think I've enjoyed Shin's Route a lot because it actually felt like there was an investigation going on. It was fun. And led to lots of Smirking!Shin.

Unfortunately, I felt like a large part of the good ending was bullshit.
The confronting with evidence thing, yeah, I liked that part.
The insane rationalising over why it was being done and the reasoning not being that it was because he was a dangerous psycho and needed to be reported to the police, but instead was because they realised the guilt would make him miserable and wouldn't he like to just admit it and confront his own misery, and hey, maybe actually he should be pitied instead of blamed for it anyway, because maybe his actions were actually everyone else's fault... yeah. That made me roll my eyes. It was naff, as was the as was the "Oh I don't actually seem to blame him for trying to kill my anyway. And will now talk about wanting to apologise to him, and keep talking about how "kind" they are because "kind" people always nearly kill other people :D" part. I could have done without that part too.

I'd almost go as far as to say the normal end was better just because it cut out a chunk of that, but of course that's undermined by the fact that the only reason it's cut out is because she's point blank lying to herself ¬_¬

... It was quite fun when she was teasing Shin at the end of the good end, at least ^_^

Backing up some pictures, and then on to Clover World :)

Shizuka

I don't know what's with me playing this, but I had to turn off all VO. I'm not sure if it's Orion, but after I did turn it off, I've been advancing much more smoothly. Narrative-wise, Orion bothers me to no end, I'm just not feeling that.

Saphirax

I don't know what's with me playing this, but I had to turn off all VO. I'm not sure if it's Orion, but after I did turn it off, I've been advancing much more smoothly. Narrative-wise, Orion bothers me to no end, I'm just not feeling that.

How? D: Orion is amazing and adorable. I'm surprised he bothers you.

Shizuka

He feels like a crutch to the player, at least to me, in a genre where you don't need one. He explains things like you're mentally challenged and can't read the mood in the room. It's a step down compared to a game like Sweet Fuse, where you have a silent protagonist that can handle her way through situations without people treating her in a special way (like a weak lady, as Shizuru in Hakuoki, or Orion being the crutch in this).

I turned off Orion, too. Kept the other voices on, though.

Saphirax

He feels like a crutch to the player, at least to me, in a genre where you don't need one. He explains things like you're mentally challenged and can't read the mood in the room. It's a step down compared to a game like Sweet Fuse, where you have a silent protagonist that can handle her way through situations without people treating her in a special way (like a weak lady, as Shizuru in Hakuoki, or Orion being the crutch in this).

That's due to the heroine suffering from amnesia - she starts off as a blank slate. It may not be a good explanation but at least there is one, unlike with Chizuru. SF was amazing for the most part though, more otome games should take cues from it.

Kirie

I'm with you here, I loved Orion, lol. Though in some routes he's a bit too trusting until it's too late
*coughTomacough*
I tried not to hold it against him too much considering the circumstances. But otherwise I thought it was a unique way of voicing the protagonist overall.

Though I can understand it in a way why people dislike it, because it makes the player character way more "self-inserty" and less of a voice which is going to massively turn some people off. I've played tons of otoge so it was nice switch up from what I'm personally used to. In all honesty, I have a much bigger problem with characters like Chizuru, but I'll not get into that here, lol.

Shizuka

That's due to the heroine suffering from amnesia - she starts off as a blank slate. It may not be a good explanation but at least there is one, unlike with Chizuru. SF was amazing for the most part though, more otome games should take cues from it.

That's just the thing. If she's a blank slate, let the player fill that personality void with actions, and not with having another character telling her how to feel, what to do and all that.

Ephidel

I can't say I ever actually felt that Orion was taking over. He was someone to bounce off, and I thought he worked pretty well as her wingman.
I also liked having him as a slight barrier. By having him there to do all the faffing the heroine has room to be her own character -- and she is her own character, though granted it shows in some routes more than others (it's one of the reasons I like Kent's route so much actually, because more of her shows there)

He's also snarky, has some hilarious (over)reactions to things, and in some routes his deadpanning is pretty much perfect.
Yeah, sometimes he states the obvious, sometimes he's taken in, I actively groaned at one awful joke, and this late Joker moment actually made me think it deserved an ending of its own where he was able to run with it... but he's got your back. He's really sweet and his heart is in the right place.
I particularly like that (mild spoilers for when this quote occurs)
I only got this quote in routes where I got bad ends :p

Saphirax

That's just the thing. If she's a blank slate, let the player fill that personality void with actions, and not with having another character telling her how to feel, what to do and all that.

Given how heroines usually are in otome games, Amnesia would be a far worse game without Orion. They overdo it at certain points in the game, but overall Orion does a good job. The heroine doesn't have anyone to rely on, she doesn't know who to trust. And Orion telling her how to feel to me feels like he's bringing those points up solely because they're both trying to figure out who she is, how she acts etc. I see it more as 'poking and prodding' than substituting Orion for the heroine's personality. In the end, neither of them know the heroine's true personality.

What you said previously with him explaining everything - if the heroine didn't have amnesia. I'd agree with you. Not saying there's any significant depth to it, but him stating the obvious and telling her how to feel also has a calming effect on her. Given her condition, she's experiencing some major sensory overload. She's confused and utterly lost, yet has to pretend she's fine. It's easy to miss something obvious in those circumstances.

I can't say I ever actually felt that Orion was taking over. He was someone to bounce off, and I thought he worked pretty well as her wingman.
I also liked having him as a slight barrier. By having him there to do all the faffing the heroine has room to be her own character -- and she is her own character, though granted it shows in some routes more than others (it's one of the reasons I like Kent's route so much actually, because more of her shows there)

That's one of the reasons I like Kent's route the most too!

Shizuka

I just got my first ending for Shin today, but it wasn't the true ending. Is there a guide for both trophies and endings?

pariah164

Bad endings make me feel like I'm playing Corpse Party. I love it.
I agree, but Corpse Party's bad ends are much better. Which is to be expected; we are dealing with different genres here.

This game changed my view on otome games again, for the better; Norn9 and Code Realize better deliver.

Top Bottom